Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't read anything about the hire place keeping an eye on people who hire boats from them. I would have expected them to do so. I believe she had booked a 4 hour slot, and presumably the hire people do go out to call people back in who have passed the time slot?

She seemed to be fit and well, so would expect her to have been able to tread water for a decent amount of time, even 4 hours.

I also would be very surprised if she did make a mistake and not be able to get back onto the boat. Reports say she grew up with 20 miles of the lake and it was somewhere she liked to go. This surely wasn't the first time she swam.

I don't know if she didn't wear the lifebelt to swim, but I would think it would be harder to lift her son onto the boat whilst wearing one. Without the lifebelt, it would be easier, so she may have taken it off for that reason.
She hired the boat around 1:00 pm, for three hours. When she wasn't back by 4:30 the staff did go looking for them.

I don't know how experienced a swimmer she was, but reportedly most of the people who have drowned in that lake were not good swimmers.

If she was a good swimmer she may have gone into the water without the life jacket on.

Maybe she did not expect the boat to float away, but since it wasn't anchored the wind could have caused it to move quickly. She may have had to help her son get closer to the boat using one arm, which could have worn her out. I've done this many times with my daughter just to get out to the "float" on the lake and I can't imagine being able to tread water even for another 20 minutes.

Then, once she lifted him up onto the boat, the current could have carried the boat even further and she wasn't able to grasp onto the boat and went under.

I think she boosted him up onto the boat and then thought she would follow. That would be a normal pattern. I've been out on pontoon boats many many times. Imo it would be easier to boost a 4 year old up than have him try to climb the stairs and have him pull himself up.
Something happened after she boosted him up. I wonder if she had a seizure or something.
I feel so sorry for Josey. Can you imagine?
I would bet he freaked out a little and exhausted himself. I think that's why he was sleeping.
moo

I totally agree something had to happen for her to just slip under, most likely hitting her head on the boat or he accidentally kicked her. Otherwise she would’ve held on to whatever part she hoisted him over and asked him to throw her the life jacket or instructed him to call 911. I can’t imagine her not saying anything to him or attempting to save herself if she was able. If she was somehow momentarily stung, she may have gasped and taken in a huge breath of water and that would be enough for her to just go under without trying to survive. JMO but she seemed such a loving mother, she would fight for her life to remain in his. She had no way of knowing he’d stay on the boat or when it would be found so she’d be desperate to be there for him.

IMO, it's possible that while she was swimming back to the boat with her son, especially if it moved from where they entered the water, she could have been taking in water trying to keep herself and little boy above water. He did have a life jacket on - she would have known holding onto to him, with that life jacket to keep herself afloat would caused him to go under. Lifeguards or rescuers will tell you that a person struggling in the water can take you under in their panic. If this scenario is the one that played out,this poor woman probably took on water, used all of her energy and was only able to get him on board, probably barely, before she drowned. It's incredibly sad. IMO

I have been reading the tributes since yesterday. Most have had me crying. Kevin’s especially got to me. I’ve been waiting to hear from Heather Morris. I have a feeling she’s taking this so hard being a mom herself.

I have been reading the tributes since yesterday. Most have had me crying. Kevin’s especially got to me. I’ve been waiting to hear from Heather Morris. I have a feeling she’s taking this so hard being a mom herself.

Yes, I feel like Heather's is going to be the most heart wrenching.

Yes, I feel like Heather's is going to be the most heart wrenching.

100% her and Kevin's both equally the same they were both out of the cast who were closest to Naya. Heather was the other half of Naya's story on Glee, both would go on Kevin and Jenna's pod cast together. I think there were like three segments that Jenna and Kevin did on Showmance with Heather and Naya. The fans called the Heya. But I think Heather is taking this so very hard. The fact that she reached out to the Sheriff feeling so helpless and wanting to help find her/search for her.

Also Heather has two boys and her youngest(he is going to be 6 in September) is very close in age with Josey. I am sure the two of them have done countless play dates with their boys since they are only a year a part both born in Sept. I'm just so sad about this. :(

I'm not sure if this has been suggested here yet....but I'm thinking that when she made the Herculean effort to push her son up on to the edge of the boat, she inadvertently pushed the boat further away from herself.
I've read multiple comments that those pontoon boats are very light.

Jeremy Childs @Jeremy_Childs
29m

As the local part of this story comes to an end, this will be my last tweet about Naya Rivera. It's been a crazy and brutal week, but I'm grateful to have had a hand in telling this story from the ground where it happened. Thank you to everyone who followed along.

Here's my story on the Naya Rivera autopsy report:

Medical examiner confirms 'Glee' actress Naya Rivera died from accidental drowning
The Ventura County Medical Examiner's Office released autopsy details confirming Naya Rivera died of an accidental drowning in Lake Piru last week.
vcstar.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briankap
Back