CA CA - Newark "Mowry Ave Jane Doe" WhtFem UP53306 <40, Oct 85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i wonder where david misch was around this time.

He committed a double murder the very next year in fremont.

Seems like a solid theory. LE probably already looked into this, but sometimes things fall through the cracks. Have you called this tip in? Location is right and according to the timeline posted in his thread, it appears he was out of prison at the time (thanks for posting @Hockeyfan158!). Jane doe was found late October 1985 with a PMI of a few months to a year. It appears Misch was free from Jan 1984-Aug 1985. That lines up perfectly + it’s right in his stomping grounds. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t murdered more women than is currently known.

1977: Misch, then 16, breaks into a neighbor's house and rapes the household maid (at knifepoint).

1978: Paroled for this crime.

February 1979: Arrested for false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon (later charged with assault with intent to commit rape). Released just months later in September on parole.

July 1982: Convicted of beating a woman at knifepoint. Amazingly, he is paroled again in January 1984.

August 1985: Arrested for indecent exposure after he was found to be driving around naked in Oakland.

1986: Was under suspicion for several drug and burglary incidents, diversion court was being considered.

February 1986: Murders Michelle Xavier and Jennifer Duey by shooting and strangulation. Rape also occurred, according to the police. Misch isn't charged until much later for this case.

May 1988: Convicted of burglary and given a sentence of one year plus one year of probation. Paroled in October-November 1988.

November 19, 1988: Michaela Garecht is abducted from the Rainbow Market parking lot in Hayward, CA.

November 21-25, 1988: Arrested for drug possession.

November 17, 1989: Paroled for the drug possession charges.

December 1989: Murders Margaret Ball. The crime is horrific: Ball was found in a fetal possession laying on a butcher's knife that she had been stabbed with numerous times, and she was beaten so badly that Misch knocked out one of Ball's teeth.

1990: Convicted of Ball's murder. Receives a term of 18 years to life in prison.

2006: Denied parole.

2009: Denied parole for a second time.

2018: Charged with the Duey and Xavier homicides.

December 21, 2020: Charged with murder in the presumed death of Michaela Garecht

The Baby Holly Marie Clouse case was cracked in a similar way, hopefully they will have similar luck here.

Hard to say where she would have been given up for adoption, but I think it's possible that she was born circa 1947-1948 unless the mother secretly had another child while she was married.
The mother at some time did divorce the father and then remarried but don't know when the events took place. The second husband, William Richardson, died in June 1985. Her first husband Winfred Thorburn died in 2017, and oldest son Winfred Eugene died in 2018. A child could have been born between the divorce and remarriage. I wonder if any of her other children were contacted. IMO

Last edited:
Seems like a solid theory. LE probably already looked into this, but sometimes things fall through the cracks. Have you called this tip in? Location is right and according to the timeline posted in his thread, it appears he was out of prison at the time (thanks for posting @Hockeyfan158!). Jane doe was found late October 1985 with a PMI of a few months to a year. It appears Misch was free from Jan 1984-Aug 1985. That lines up perfectly + it’s right in his stomping grounds. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t murdered more women than is currently known.

1977: Misch, then 16, breaks into a neighbor's house and rapes the household maid (at knifepoint).

1978: Paroled for this crime.

February 1979: Arrested for false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon (later charged with assault with intent to commit rape). Released just months later in September on parole.

July 1982: Convicted of beating a woman at knifepoint. Amazingly, he is paroled again in January 1984.

August 1985: Arrested for indecent exposure after he was found to be driving around naked in Oakland.

1986: Was under suspicion for several drug and burglary incidents, diversion court was being considered.

February 1986: Murders Michelle Xavier and Jennifer Duey by shooting and strangulation. Rape also occurred, according to the police. Misch isn't charged until much later for this case.

May 1988: Convicted of burglary and given a sentence of one year plus one year of probation. Paroled in October-November 1988.

November 19, 1988: Michaela Garecht is abducted from the Rainbow Market parking lot in Hayward, CA.

November 21-25, 1988: Arrested for drug possession.

November 17, 1989: Paroled for the drug possession charges.

December 1989: Murders Margaret Ball. The crime is horrific: Ball was found in a fetal possession laying on a butcher's knife that she had been stabbed with numerous times, and she was beaten so badly that Misch knocked out one of Ball's teeth.

1990: Convicted of Ball's murder. Receives a term of 18 years to life in prison.

2006: Denied parole.

2009: Denied parole for a second time.

2018: Charged with the Duey and Xavier homicides.

December 21, 2020: Charged with murder in the presumed death of Michaela Garecht
i have not. this guy was given waaay too many chances, its disgusting.

The half sister in Texas was born at a home for unwed mothers in Pilot Point, Texas in 1949, where Marie was sent from Missouri when she was pregnant.

Likely this place:

New effort from Newark Police Department to identify Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe:

Unsolved Jane Doe murder case reopened using rootless hair DNA

Old evidence and new technology is providing clues to help crack a decades-old cold case where both the killer and the victim have never been identified. In 1985, a woman, now called Jane Doe, was found shot and killed in the remote wetlands area off Mowry Avenue in Newark. To this day, no one...
www.ktvu.com
www.ktvu.com

Shame. They are so close to identifying her, they know her mother but since it was an adoption case without surviving records, its so hard.
But i am wondering why would an out of wedlock child who was adopted out right away not show in the birth certificates. Normally you can check all children the mother gave birth to via birth certificates, regardless of whether she kept them or not. But may have been state dependent and also back in the day they may not have issued birth certificates listing the birth mom but the adoptive parents instead. If she was born in the 1940s, it was still very hush hush back then. Especially if she was not born in a hospital but in some private christian care home for "fallen girls" that usually adopted the babies out right away.

New effort from Newark Police Department to identify Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe:

Unsolved Jane Doe murder case reopened using rootless hair DNA

Old evidence and new technology is providing
That's a nice and informative news clip on her from the area where she was found. . Hope it triggers a memory in someone. It's a double mystery that hooked me right away. Finding close relatives, a mother and a sister, but still a mystery of who she is because of adoptions. Then of course who killed her. Sure hope she is ID'd and gets justice in Finding her killer.

Shame. They are so close to identifying her, they know her mother but since it was an adoption case without surviving records, its so hard.
But i am wondering why would an out of wedlock child who was adopted out right away not show in the birth certificates. Normally you can check all children the mother gave birth to via birth certificates, regardless of whether she kept them or not. But may have been state dependent and also back in the day they may not have issued birth certificates listing the birth mom but the adoptive parents instead. If she was born in the 1940s, it was still very hush hush back then. Especially if she was not born in a hospital but in some private christian care home for "fallen girls" that usually adopted the babies out right away.
All of the children evidently were not born in same place, county, etc. They don't know her year, nor her place of birth to look for her mother's name on a birth certificate.
I think the county in all US states are the keepers of vital statistics records by year. Births, marriages, deaths. An unwed mothers home cannot place babies without registering births. It would be like selling babies. I was born in the 1940s and for sure the counties had meticulous record keeping systems then. .

Tricky. If there was one central census register that you could search by name and then all her children are registered under her name, it would be easy. The way it is its a needle in a haystack.
I wonder if they are concentrating in the area where her half sister was born. Or maybe family didn't want the mother to go to same home again. Census records are not made public for 70 years to insure privacy of respondents' data. Birth announcements in area newspapers could be a source but people don't always consent to publishing. I think they are doing all they can looking for DNA uploads of relatives and trying to narrow down an area and date of birth where she may have been born. I sure wish something would turn up.

Tricky. If there was one central census register that you could search by name and then all her children are registered under her name, it would be easy. The way it is its a needle in a haystack.
So does anyone think the first husband Winfred Thorburn may be her father if she was born previous to the marriage. I found this information on him. He was born sometime around 1929. Jane Doe's half sister was born in Texas in 1949. Thorburn would have been 20 yrs old then. Maybe the mother knew him for some time before the marriage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240223_165518_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223_165518_Samsung Internet.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 8
According to the recent DDP Twitter/TikTok video they have also IDed her father, but he is deceased. They mentioned that she could have been born in TX, MO, KS or OK, circa late 1940s to early 1950s.
So does anyone think the first husband Winfred Thorburn may be her father if she was born previous to the marriage. I found this information on him. He was born sometime around 1929. Jane Doe's half sister was born in Texas in 1949. Thorburn would have been 20 yrs old then. Maybe the mother knew him for some time before the marriage.
I doubt the first husband was Jane Doe's father prior to their marriage (or at all). It's never been mentioned, and probably would have been unless perhaps her mother's kids by this husband didn't want the info released. Or it hasn't been released as there still is an ongoing investigation.

I think it is possible Jane Doe's father wasn't even aware she existed or at least knew anything about her birth. He was unsurprisingly deceased when he was identified as her father, and apparently his living family knew nothing or nothing useful (at least that's been made public) to pinpoint where and when Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe was born. That isn't surprising.

I doubt the first husband was Jane Doe's father prior to their marriage (or at all). It's never been mentioned, and probably would have been unless perhaps her mother's kids by this husband didn't want the info released. Or it hasn't been released as there still is an ongoing investigation.

I think it is possible Jane Doe's father wasn't even aware she existed or at least knew anything about her birth. He was unsurprisingly deceased when he was identified as her father, and apparently his living family knew nothing or nothing useful (at least that's been made public) to pinpoint where and when Mowry Wetlands Jane Doe was born. That isn't surprising.

Yeah, I don't know. Given half sister was born in 1949 when mother was 17, and mother married Thorburn in 1950 at 18, that gives no time for pregnancy in between unless another immediate pregnancy with ourJane Doe followed. Maybe it did and it was a condition of the marriage that child be given up. But I'm not sure when her first child in the marriage was born. And seems all the subsequent children must have been Thorburns as her obituary states her marriage to Richardson was later in life. I wish Jane Doe's fathers name would be given. We know the mother's information. I'm thinking this must be a convoluted history with the mother and JD and the half sister with some really atypical situations since identifying JD has become so difficult when both parents are known.

Yeah, I don't know. Given half sister was born in 1949 when mother was 17, and mother married Thorburn in 1950 at 18, that gives no time for pregnancy in between unless another immediate pregnancy with ourJane Doe followed. Maybe it did and it was a condition of the marriage that child be given up. But I'm not sure when her first child in the marriage was born. And seems all the subsequent children must have been Thorburns as her obituary states her marriage to Richardson was later in life. I wish Jane Doe's fathers name would be given. We know the mother's information. I'm thinking this must be a convoluted history with the mother and JD and the half sister with some really atypical situations since identifying JD has become so difficult when both parents are known.
It is suspected JD was born 1947 or 48, mom would have been 15 or 16 then. Yikes. But was not terribly uncommon back then and most of those teen pregnancy babies were adopted out.

It is suspected JD was born 1947 or 48, mom would have been 15 or 16 then. Yikes. But was not terribly uncommon back then and most of those teen pregnancy babies were adopted out.
I just wish something would break. This would make 3 different fathers in 3 or 4 years then. Her son born after the marriage in 1950 was born in January 1951.

I just wish something would break. This would make 3 different fathers in 3 or 4 years then. Her son born after the marriage in 1950 was born in January 1951.
Before effective and accessible birth control it happened sometimes. The mother of Joseph Augustus Zarelli (former Boy in the Box) also apparently had 3 kids by 3 different dads within 5 or 6 years. The third was after a marriage or when she was in a stable relationship. Like this case here.
Having a "sweetheart" from an early teenage age (women came "of age" at 15) was encouraged by post war society but there was hardly any sex ed. And even when birth control pills came on the market much later in the 60s, they were only sold to married women who had a few kids already.
Falling pregnant 3 times in a short time was not the norm, but it happened.

Before effective and accessible birth control it happened sometimes. The mother of Joseph Augustus Zarelli (former Boy in the Box) also apparently had 3 kids by 3 different dads within 5 or 6 years. The third was after a marriage or when she was in a stable relationship. Like this case here.
Having a "sweetheart" from an early teenage age (women came "of age" at 15) was encouraged by post war society but there was hardly any sex ed. And even when birth control pills came on the market much later in the 60s, they were only sold to married women who had a few kids already.
Falling pregnant 3 times in a short time was not the norm, but it happened.
Yes I know. Im a child of the late 1940s likely within a year or so in age of this Jane Doe. I know the society of the 1940s and 50s and beyond pretty well. I wasn't trying to imply any disrespect. She could even have been a victim of abuse. I just think there is something pretty out of the ordinary in the happenings with this case. We may never know the whole story (that would kill me!)but the mystery just has me hooked. It's even possible she doesn't have a birth cerrificate. It's estimated there could be over 10 million people in the US that don't. Not unusual in poor impoverished off the grid areas with little development.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms
Back