CA- Newport Beach. Suspect allegedly runs over 69-year-old woman after robbery at Fashion Island Mall

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
The robbers ran over and killed the 69 year old female tourist from New Zealand in their attempt to flee. Her husband was uninjured.

Three suspects were arrested after a high-speed freeway chase where the suspects were driving at 110 mph.

The only consolation is that they did not hit another innocent person on the freeway.

I just read a few articles about this. How horrible! Mid afternoon in a busy shopping center parking lot. Attacked the elderly couple, dragged the woman, then ran her down, shots fired, then 110 mph down the interstate. I can't imagine a more dangerous group than these guys. It is a miracle more weren't hurt.

The suspects' car reached speeds of 110mph in the chase on the 105 freeway. Two jumped out of the car and began running around a neighborhood in South Gate.

They also tracked down and arrested two other suspects in the fatal attack.

Newport Beach Police officials identified the suspects as Jaden Cunningham, 18, of Lancaster, Malachi Eddward Darnell, 18, of Los Angeles, and Leroyernest Joseph McCrary, 26, of Compton.

All three were booked on suspicion of homicide, robbery with a firearm and conspiracy.

Newport Beach is not going to put up with the Compton crew hanging there armed and scouting for easy prey.

All that for the purse of a senior citizen who likely had very little cash on her because she was traveling, and then running her over and killing her.

It's gonna get complicated.

Intent?

Who pulled trigger of the gun?

Who was at the wheel driving when the woman was run over?

I don't think LE has the vehicle or the 4th perp.

All 3 of these degenerates will get accessory, at the most unless they can get confessions or plea deals. Orange County needs to really clamp down on this trash. This attack will hit international news because the attacked and deceased victim was a visitor.

Well these three are NOT cooperating. Not one of them showed up for a scheduled hearing last week and then yesterday they pulled the same stunt. Deputies were able to get ipads to their cells but no one would talk. Judge trying again for a hearing on Wednesday.
Additional gruesome details in the article.

Drag them into the courtroom, shackled in chains. Put a gag over their mouths if they try to disrupt the proceedings. I'm sorry, but I'm clear out of patience. One of the suspects has at least three felony convictions and was running around free as a bird. Well, they're not going anywhere anymore.
That poor woman, dragged 65 feet under the car. Horrific, and these thugs think it's funny.

It's gonna get complicated.

Intent?

Who pulled trigger of the gun?

Who was at the wheel driving when the woman was run over?

I don't think LE has the vehicle or the 4th perp.

All 3 of these degenerates will get accessory, at the most unless they can get confessions or plea deals. Orange County needs to really clamp down on this trash. This attack will hit international news because the attacked and deceased victim was a visitor.
McCrary was the driver, but all three can face 1st Degree murder charges.
That all 3 refused to go to court tells me that they are communicating in someway which they shouldn't be allowed to. None of them should have been out on the street. So frustrating.

The ringleader of this robbery/ murder crew had previously received a suspended sentence for stealing a Rolex at gunpoint. He was free as a bird last week when he ran over Patricia McKay.
(L.A. Times article is behind a paywall so I'm copying some text from another site)

The alleged leader of an armed robbery crew charged with killing a New Zealand tourist last week outside Newport Beach’s Fashion Island mall had been placed on probation for stealing a Rolex at gunpoint in Santa Monica.

He avoided prison time in that case after Los Angeles County prosecutors agreed to a three-year suspended sentence, according to interviews and records reviewed by The Times.

Leroy Ernest McCrary, 26, now faces a special circumstances murder charge that could carry the death penalty after authorities allege he ran over Patricia “Trish” McKay, 68, during a July 2 robbery attempt.

Orange County prosecutors say McCrary and two other men targeted McKay’s husband, former chair of the Bank of New Zealand Douglas McKay, for his high-end watch.

McCrary and the other defendants have not yet entered pleas, and their attorneys could not immediately be reached for comment.

The Fashion Island slaying is renewing interest in the 2022 Rolex theft.

Is this new info?
“One of the suspects held a gun to the head of the woman's husband and demanded his watch before turning his attention to Patricia McKay, prosecutors said.”

I don’t know whether ^^that^^ is,
specifically. Article was published 3 hours ago.

I appreciated the sushi chef’s interview. I commend him for for jumping into action/trying his best as a “Good Samaritan” to help Mrs. McKay.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back