CA - Norma Lopez, 17, abducted & murdered, Moreno Valley, 15 July 2010 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NG Norma's sister Elizabeth is on the phone with JVM. JVM wants to know about Norma, her dreams, hopes and who she was. Wanted to be a fashion designer, model. Elizabeth talking about last thing Norma did for her that morning, making her a p/b/jelly sandwich with a banana inside in the shape of a happy face.

NG Caller asking if Norma had any problems with anyone in school, so much bullying going on, etc. Elizabeth answering she doesn't believe Norma had any enemies.

JVM talking to Dr. Shu about decomposition. Dr. Shu saying heat can cause rapid decomposition making ID through DNA or dental records.

Reporter talking about number of SOs in area. Within a 15 mile radius, 167 SOs. JVM mentioning SOs who wouldn't be accounted for because they fail to register.

JVM talking about how Norma was found, face down, shirtless, wearing jeans. Norma put up a fight but lost. JVM also saying this perp probably has a rap sheet a mile long; SOs need to be kept in jail.

NG Caller is saddened by young women being abducted, murdered and disposed of like garbage. Also asking about the green SUV. Answer by guest it may be relevant or not. No suspect description, just the SUV seen leaving the area in a hurry. Former police chief (guest) believes Norma was watched, perp had surveillance on high school.

NG Back from commercial and on to talking about another case now.

(FYI so no one thinks I just stopped posting! :))

One of the callers tonight on NG said that even though Moreno Valley is just 70 miles from Los Angeles, she wouldnt be surprised Norma was murdered by someone that lived right in Moreno Valley. They had to have known there was only one way out of that field along the freeway. Unfortuantely, Moreno Valley has become the armpit of the world. There is a murder there, if not two daily and shootouts in parking lots on a nightly basis. It's so sad because MV was divided..There was the good side (North) and the bad side (south)..It seems like it's all bad now and Norma had to pay with her life.

Girls and women need to do things in pairs. Sad to say gone are the days where we can walk or jog alone. There is safety in numbers.

Girls and women need to do things in pairs. Sad to say gone are the days where we can walk or jog alone. There is safety in numbers.

You're absolutely right, RR. It's so sad, but true. Yet I see women and young girls walking alone all the time.

Not everyone is as aware of the dangers out there as we are. Sadly, many of the people I know don't even watch the news or read the paper.

One of the callers tonight on NG said that even though Moreno Valley is just 70 miles from Los Angeles, she wouldnt be surprised Norma was murdered by someone that lived right in Moreno Valley. They had to have known there was only one way out of that field along the freeway. Unfortuantely, Moreno Valley has become the armpit of the world. There is a murder there, if not two daily and shootouts in parking lots on a nightly basis. It's so sad because MV was divided..There was the good side (North) and the bad side (south)..It seems like it's all bad now and Norma had to pay with her life.
Thanks ~ that's something most of us on the other side of the country wouldn't know. I thought the area where Norma was abducted from had some new homes so it looked like it wasn't that bad. But if crime is that rampant it seems the perp could be just about anyone and Norma just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, which in itself doesn't look too promising for finding her killer. I so hope that isn't the case. MOO

I'm so saddened and angry that this beautiful young woman's life was violently taken away from her. Oh, I'm just SO MAD!

:banghead::furious:

I'm thinking a local too, for the same reason, if this was a shortcut.

Also with her pants being on...I wonder if it was someone she knew or who recognized her? And when she put up a fight, he strangled her (or however he killed her) and fled? If no actual sexual assault, DNA may be hard to find. I am sure they are checking all local green SUV's.

I'm thinking a local too, for the same reason, if this was a shortcut.

Also with her pants being on...I wonder if it was someone she knew or who recognized her? And when she put up a fight, he strangled her (or however he killed her) and fled? If no actual sexual assault, DNA may be hard to find. I am sure they are checking all local green SUV's.
I too think it was someone local who knew the area, and had been watching her. I also think it's possible there is more than one perp, unless she was quickly subdued before being put in the vehicle. Otherwise it would probably take one to be in the back of the vehicle with her and one to drive. If I lived around there and had a green SUV and had nothing to do with her abduction and murder I'd be in the police station immediately just to clear myself. MOO

I think it was someone local as well. Someone who drives past that school and saw the fewer kids walking from summer school. Probably watched that short cut for a while. I think he knew where to take her too after scoping that out.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/PE_News_Local_D_sb22_death.398421f.html

Fundraisers planned to help family of slain Moreno Valley teenager

The Moreno Valley community is rallying around the family of Norma Lopez, the 17-year-old high school senior who police believe was killed after being abducted while walking home from summer school.

Moreno Valley and the FBI have set up rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the girl's killer or killers.

Anyone who wants to contribute can do so at City Hall or any Wells Fargo bank branch.

The reward, also partially funded by Riverside County Supervisor Marion Ashley, stands at $35,000.

Donations can be dropped off at City Hall, 14177 Frederick St., or mailed to the city at Norma Lopez Reward Fund, City of Moreno Valley, P.O. Box 88005, Moreno Valley, CA 92552-0805.

A group of private donors and elected officials are offering a separate reward of $55,000.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I wonder if it is possible that she was not killed immediately.

If her shirt IS missing... maybe it is missing because it is distinctive. If she was in the vehicle for any amount of time then that might have been a concern. A shirt is an uncommon "trophy" item for a killer to take. Maybe her shirt was changed and the intent was to keep her for longer until the media attention got too much. (Alisa Maier...)

I would be interested to know if her shirt was at the scene, if there was another shirt at the scene or if there was no shirt at the scene. If her hair was the way it was that morning. If there was any other items missing.

He could have changed her shirt. Assaulted her and then had her redress herself. Then, after he killed her, could have removed his own shirt and taken it with him if he wanted. Removing a shirt after killing someone is much easier than redressing them. Or he could have left it there, left hers there or taken them both.

This case is so much like my cousin's.

I honestly had difficulty reading the last article linked, through tears.

I see Amber Dubois' mom attended the ceremony.

They said in the article it's 'unusual for something like this to happen in the middle of the day.'

I'm sorry, but it DOES happen that way. Gosh, it's been 47 years (she was 12) since my little sister was walking down a tree lined street in L.A. County, (meaning populated) on an early summer afternoon, just being released from summer school. She was attacked on the side of the road. Fortunately, she managed to get away and run to the nearest house. It seems this guy had attempted the same thing a number of previous times. He was NEVER caught.

It doesn't matter if you're old or young, male or female, if you're alone, you are vulnerable. Especially if there's no other pedestrians within sight. It only takes a few seconds, under the right circumstances, to be gone without a trace.

Everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings. Heck, my youngest is 22 and I still worry about her when she travels alone, walking or in the car. You don't need to be paranoid, just smart and prepared. (in the least, prepared mentally with a plan should you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation.)

The photos of Norma's friends was heartbreaking. They've seen a horrible side of life at such a young age. This shouldn't happen to someone so young and promising.

Prayers to Norma's family and friends at this somber time. And prayers they find this monster before he hurts anyone else.

Sincerely,
fran
:rose:

Friday, July 30, 2010 comment print page text size
A memorial walk is planned for Sunday along the route that Norma Angelica Lopez took when she was abducted.

Organizers of &#8220;Finish Norma&#8217;s Walk&#8221; posted the announcement on Facebook.com, linked to a page titled FindNormasKiller.

The 17-year-old girl was walking through a field near the 27300 block of Cottonwood Avenue, en route to a friend&#8217;s house, when she was abducted on the morning of July 15. Her remains were found five days later, 2 1/2 miles away, in a remote area of eastern Moreno Valley.

The walk, scheduled to begin at 5 p.m., will start in front of Valley View High School, where Norma attended a summer class before setting off for the friend&#8217;s home. Participants will trek from the school, down the path and through the field leading to the Cottonwood Avenue residence to which the 17-year-old was bound.

The route is less than a mile.

People were asked to wear white and bring a flashlight &#8220;to symbolize her spirit.&#8221;

Read more: http://www.swrnn.com/southwest-rive...teen-norma-lopez-never-finished#ixzz0vEdtZCMo

I wonder if it is possible that she was not killed immediately.

If her shirt IS missing... maybe it is missing because it is distinctive. If she was in the vehicle for any amount of time then that might have been a concern. A shirt is an uncommon "trophy" item for a killer to take. Maybe her shirt was changed and the intent was to keep her for longer until the media attention got too much. (Alisa Maier...)

I would be interested to know if her shirt was at the scene, if there was another shirt at the scene or if there was no shirt at the scene. If her hair was the way it was that morning. If there was any other items missing.

He could have changed her shirt. Assaulted her and then had her redress herself. Then, after he killed her, could have removed his own shirt and taken it with him if he wanted. Removing a shirt after killing someone is much easier than redressing them. Or he could have left it there, left hers there or taken them both.

This case is so much like my cousin's.
Norma's shirt was rather distinctive and probably could've easily identified her. Instead the perp left her face down in the field wearing only her jeans and after being there in the heat for several days, at first the body couldn't even be identified as female. I do think it was deliberate on the perp's part. As for how long Norma was alive between the abduction and being left in the field I believe it would depend where she could have been held ~ that is, if the vehicle was the green SUV it wouldn't allow much space or privacy for the assault, compared with an enclosed van, for example. Whatever happened it's just a horrible, tragic end to her beautiful life. :( MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back