CA - Off Duty Police Officer shoots man and parents after altercation in Costco, Corona, June 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amber Guyger was convicted of murder, and this DA didn't even think he had enough evidence to prove the case for even some sort of attempted negligent or reckless crime against the parents? We know parents were never threatening this cop in any way, yet both were shot and have very serious consequences from this shooting. Even the mentally ill man was 20 feet away, and apparently moving away, so how was that life-threatening at the time of the shooting that this cop had no other alternative than using deadly force? Something stinks here to high heaven.

Yeah, and one figures that in the TX case, they would have also charged for 2X Attempted Murder, and without a doubt received a conviction for that as well. I hate to draw any comparisons, since the cases and circumstances of each are so different. But what they do have in common, is the aspect of pulling out a gun and starting to shoot, without bothering to assess the situation. In both cases, nobody had to die. Even if one says that they were both intense situations, they could have been resolved just as quickly if not for the almost instantaneous gunfire against 1 or 3 Unarmed individuals. And in both cases, from a considerable distance.

```

People in California have the right to defend themselves. If there is a threat of great bodily harm or death, there is no duty to retreat.

In this case the officer was shoved violently to the ground while holding his young child. He suffered a concussion. I think a reasonable person would believe the threat wasn’t over. I don’t have all the facts, but I think the grand jury got it right.

CALCRIM No. 505. Justifiable Homicide: Self-Defense or Defense of Another :: California Criminal Jury Instructions (CALCRIM) (2017) :: Justia

When deciding whether the defendant’s beliefs were reasonable,
consider all the circumstances as they were known to and appeared to
the defendant and consider what a reasonable person in a similar
situation with similar knowledge would have believed. If the defendant’s
beliefs were reasonable, the danger does not need to have actually
existed.
[The defendant’s belief that (he/she/ [or] someone else) was threatened
may be reasonable even if (he/she) relied on information that was not
true. However, the defendant must actually and reasonably have
believed that the information was true.]
This is the first I’ve heard that he got a concussion. Is that correct? Because if it is, it means he was even less capable of making any decisions at that moment.

Yeah, and one figures that in the TX case, they would have also charged for 2X Attempted Murder, and without a doubt received a conviction for that as well. I hate to draw any comparisons, since the cases and circumstances of each are so different. But what they do have in common, is the aspect of pulling out a gun and starting to shoot, without bothering to assess the situation. In both cases, nobody had to die. Even if one says that they were both intense situations, they could have been resolved just as quickly if not for the almost instantaneous gunfire against 1 or 3 Unarmed individuals. And in both cases, from a considerable distance.
Well, here is what CA DA claims. By this standard, one would think Guyger shouldn't have been convicted. If it's reasonable to believe your life is in danger even when it isn't. I guess DA in CA thinks it's reasonable to believe your life is in danger even when you are the only one with a gun, and whoever hit you is 20 feet away and is apparently moving away, and this person's elderly parents are somehow threatening even though they have done absolutely nothing to you.

"He maintained Sanchez reasonably believed his life was in danger — even if it wasn't. That is the longstanding legal standard for determining whether a police shooting is justified."
Off-Duty LAPD Cop Who Fatally Shot Unarmed Man In Costco Avoids Criminal Charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!