Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

..investigators believe she had been missing or presumed dead for up to nine years, San Diego police Lt. Jud Campbell said in a news release.
Her body had been placed in a chest freezer at a home on Zion Avenue near Eldridge Street where she had lived prior to her death, investigators said.
Homicide detectives are treating the investigation as a suspicious death because of the unusual circumstances surrounding how the body was found.

Last edited:

..investigators believe she had been missing or presumed dead for up to nine years, San Diego police Lt. Jud Campbell said in a news release.
Her body had been placed in a chest freezer at a home on Zion Avenue near Eldridge Street where she had lived prior to her death, investigators said.
Homicide detectives are treating the investigation as a suspicious death because of the unusual circumstances surrounding how the body was found.

"investigators believe she had been missing or presumed dead for up to nine years"

I wonder if Mary had been reported as missing 9 years ago. I took a Google-look back during that time period but am unable to see any MSM about her disappearing.

If she had been reported as missing, presumably any social security benefits would have ceased at that time.

imo

Up to 9 years?! Um... so did LE know she was an MP or they're just assuming she's been "missing" for that long, based on what, I wonder??

*eta: how sad for this woman! glad she has been found tho, now she can properly rest in peace with dignity.

"Believed lived at home" ... and they are asking for people who might have known her?

Am I missing something? Don't the people who live there know her??
Right?
Where are the interviews with neighbors that a reporter actually asked pertinent questions?

From the get go all I saw on a local TV was one interview where the male reporter was talking with a young man who I assume lived close by and it was all about the young man's home being better secured now and the reporter asked zilch,not even the common sense basic like "do you know who lives there"?
The same when the reporter spoke with an older gentleman who said it was a quiet neighborhood, never expect this kind of thing to happen.
No questions asked of him and no follow-up reporting from any local news.

I didn't even come across the "anonymous neighbor" who gives info but wants their identity protected.
Very strange indeed.

Up to 9 years?! Um... so did LE know she was an MP or they're just assuming she's been "missing" for that long, based on what, I wonder??

*eta: how sad for this woman! glad she has been found tho, now she can properly rest in peace with dignity.
I'm going to look for the direct quote from Lt. Campbell because this is just shoddy journalism.

"The body of Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones was found Dec. 22 by out-of-town family members after investigators believe she had been missing or presumed dead for up to nine years, San Diego police Lt. Jud Campbell said in a news release."

We have a neighbor who has a large chest freezer in his pool cabana. It's mainly there for ice in the summer and for freezing the fish/game that he hunts. He tells everybody that if we need extra freezer space for special events, family dinners, or whatever, we should feel free to use it, or come get ice. Pre-pandemic it got used for the neighborhood block party. But if somebody put their elderly relative in there, they probably wouldn't be found for months.

Not that I think it's likely. Not in the least. But depending on the neighborhood people do share their freezers/spare refrigerators.
O/T but welcome back to WS, @carbuff! Believe it or not, I wondered about you several times during your absence. Hope you're well!

Strange. There should be some kind of charges against someone in the future, right? How terrible to treat a human being this way, even if they are deceased. And how do we know someone didn’t do something to cause her death? I hope they do a thorough autopsy.

She was 81 years old when she went missing 9 years ago.

i have a lot of experience with this type of website and she would be 81 now, according to

Even if someone has died, these websites keep the age up-to-date if they don’t list them as deceased. So she would have been about 72 when she disappeared/died.

ETA: note: These websites aren’t always accurate listing who lives where. One of them had me living with a man In his 80s whose bills I paid, while my husband was living in the next town where we’d lived 10 years prior.

Last edited:
I see it's been posed. Just got settled to relax at home, and heard it on the news. Breaking News-- Sounds like the body may have been in the freezer for a long time, maybe up to nine years. She was an older woman. News article below.

Watch Video too
San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office, detectives have now identified the body as Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones.

Haxby-Jones, who would have been 81 years old, is believed to have lived at the residence at some point before her death, SDPD explained. Detectives also believe it is possible that the elderly woman may have been missing or dead for up to 9 years.

The cause of her death has not yet been determined and remains under investigation.

Wonder if perhaps she kept a doctor's appointment or dentist appointment 9 years ago?

Or that's the last time the out-of-town family spoke with her?

<modsnip>

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Video within article:
No obvious traumatic injury to the body was noted and this case remains under investigation as a suspicious death, according to a SDPD press release sent Thursday.

Based on the investigation to this point, detectives believe it is possible that Haxby-Jones may have been missing or dead for up to nine years. Haxby-Jones would have been 81 years old when her remains were found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam
Back