Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are plenty of older people whose whereabouts are known only to a handful of family members - or, perhaps, to only one person (such as an adult child living in the home).

One of my aunts died and no one in the family found out about it right away.

Her daughter died young, she was estranged from her grandchildren. She had put a church member on her emergency forms, and eventually that person found my dad and sent him a note with her phone number, so dad got a few details. She got the info off of genealogy site. Her grandchildren hadn't inquired about her at any point in their adult lives (and no one blamed them, we all understood the situation). I found my cousin via his professional identity and let him know. I haven't seen him since he was around 8 years old. My aunt was not on speaking terms with any of her siblings.

In cases where people *do* hide bodies for this reason, it's usually either a child of the deceased - or in a case here in SoCal, the grandchild. But there are cases where it's been a friend or live-in carer as well.

Yep, and I figure that's why it's in the papers and here on WS. It has that extra something that a mere shooting in a downtown alley does not have. I personally have no expectations that the neighbors know much about it and therefore, a young journalist who stops by isn't going to get much.

Probably going to take LE some time to figure out what happened. If the freezer was still plugged in, I figure the ME might be able to figure out CoD.

I'm staring at the house across the street where two elderly people live (they are in their 80's) and just realized I haven't seen them for weeks. I assume they went somewhere for the holidays? RV is still in the front yard. Lights were not on last night, but truthfully, I haven't been paying attention. I know no one who knows them, I just know her first name and that's it. I know they have kids in Oklahoma, so I just assume that's where they are.

::shivers::
For those of us who know of estranged family members, we can understand why someone can go missing and no one is aware.

A couple of years ago one of my sisters stopped talking to the rest of us. She had to have space from our elderly father, who she had helped but who had demeaned her. She'd finally had enough. We understood her need to clear her head, but she also threw the rest of us under the bus as people she just wasn't mentally able to deal with.
If she had went missing and died a year ago, I wouldn't have known. It's not as if I didn't care. I desperately cared. I worried about her. But she wouldn't respond to us.

It's only since my father was on his death bed in the last month (he died 3 days ago) that she responded to our emails and phone calls.

I'm guessing this type of situation is not uncommon. It's not necessarily that family members don't care. It's that they've lost all communication.

For those of us who know of estranged family members, we can understand why someone can go missing and no one is aware.

A couple of years ago one of my sisters stopped talking to the rest of us. She had to have space from our elderly father, who she had helped but who had demeaned her. She'd finally had enough. We understood her need to clear her head, but she also threw the rest of us under the bus as people she just wasn't mentally able to deal with.
If she had went missing and died a year ago, I wouldn't have known. It's not as if I didn't care. I desperately cared. I worried about her. But she wouldn't respond to us.

It's only since my father was on his death bed in the last month (he died 3 days ago) that she responded to our emails and phone calls.

I'm guessing this type of situation is not uncommon. It's not necessarily that family members don't care. It's that they've lost all communication.
Yes this is 100% what I think happened and maybe certain family members decided it was time to show up at his door regardless of how he'd react.

Wonder if perhaps she kept a doctor's appointment or dentist appointment 9 years ago?

Or that's the last time the out-of-town family spoke with her?

Guess RH is the deceased' brother?

jmho ymmv lrr
I was thinking maybe they found something inside the freezer to indicate a date? Like a date on a package or something? That doesn't really make sense tho, hardly scientific lol.

This poor elderly woman! This is truly disgusting.
I'll never look at a freezer the same way again.
Shame on whomever did this to her. Disgusting!

Amateur opinion and speculation
not sure who was actually living in the house at this time... some one is paying taxes and utilities? however I also thought that sometimes an elderly spouse does not want to part with the body of their partner and instead of burying, they keep it- still creepy but not violent or intentionally cruel- rather sentimental to a crazy extent, sort of refusing to accept that the person is dead.

I'm so very sorry for your loss! Prayers for you and your family.

The out-of-town family members are related to someone who currently lives at the residence located in the 4900 block of Zion Avenue. Haxby-Jones' relationship to the current residents is part of the ongoing investigation, Campbell said.

The family members found the body in a running freezer on Dec. 22 and immediately called the San Diego Police Department. Officers from Eastern Division responded to the address on Zion Avenue around 11:45 a.m. that day, police said.

"Out-of-town" family members who were visiting a residence called local authorities when they discovered the body in the freezer, police said in December.

The family members are related to someone who currently lives in the home and are not related to the woman found in the freezer, according to police. Police added the freezer was running when the body was found.

So sorry for your loss.
Take care.

not sure who was actually living in the house at this time... some one is paying taxes and utilities? however I also thought that sometimes an elderly spouse does not want to part with the body of their partner and instead of burying, they keep it- still creepy but not violent or intentionally cruel- rather sentimental to a crazy extent, sort of refusing to accept that the person is dead.
I can’t help but think of Norman Bates and his mother!

Amateur opinion and speculation

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Mary Margaret Haxby Jones would've been 81.

Channel 7 news broadcast tonight had two different neighbors saying they never saw a woman at the house, but saw a man. The man was described as tall, and in his 70s. I believe they said the house was titled / owned by a Mary M Jones for some time.

Can't find the video of the broadcast I saw, but it was this news station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somebody was still living there in June 2023 (note trash container and recycle bin with the house number spraypainted on them).
BTW, the red car is a Toyota Prius from the 2000s, it shows up back to the beginning of the street's first StreetView in 2008.

"Out-of-town" family members who were visiting a residence called local authorities when they discovered the body in the freezer, police said in December.

The family members are related to someone who currently lives in the home and are not related to the woman found in the freezer, according to police. Police added the freezer was running when the body was found.
Who on earth was living there if not related to MHJ ? Were they a squatter? This gets stranger by the day.

Maybe the idea was to never let the body be discovered. Perhaps it worked for maybe 9 years.

But changing circumstances like ill health or perhaps dementia lead to the secret coming out.

Maybe it started as natural death and initial SSI scam, but now the person living there is demented? I wouldn't be surprised if he was hungry when the relatives came so they looked into the freezer for some dumplings or anything to prepare fast, and saw this. Also, they have three cell phone numbers, one was activated in 2012 and the other two, in 2020es, so I think the first one was hers.

Last edited:
Who on earth was living there if not related to MHJ ? Were they a squatter? This gets stranger by the day.
An in-law or step? Maybe status quo was working for someone, and her death would have meant the property going to her heirs and upsetting a life(ves) that were working as things were. Hiding her body and death preserved something valuable to someone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meganreinert
Back