Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JTNP is one of our favorite parks. We hike there frequently. We consider the park to basically be off limits April/May-October because it's too darn hot during the day. Heck, I don't even leave my house after 8 or 9 AM in the summer if I don't have too. We are very experienced hikers and I would never consider hiking JTNP in the summer. I'm deeply concerned for this man. It's been about 8 years since I've hiked that specific trail, but if memory serves, the trail back out of the 49 Palms Oasis is almost entirely uphill. I need to double-check that.

ETA: My memory seems to be correct. This link gives a great idea of what the trail is like.

Fortynine Palms Oasis in Joshua Tree National Park

sounds like a terrific hike...

During cooler weather, though...:(

Its really a sad case knowing how hot the area was at the time he went hiking.

My thoughts lately are about something the witness said when he saw him pass him. He said he looked like a "man on a mission" and didnt stop for normal chit chat as would have been expected when out on a lonely trail and nobody else around.

Wondering about that as it didnt sound normal and so have been wondering if maybe he was already in full blown "heat stroke" already when he went by the witness.

Could those have been subtle signs he was already not doing well by the heat? Any thoughts.

My thoughts lately are about something the witness said when he saw him pass him. He said he looked like a "man on a mission" and didnt stop for normal chit chat as would have been expected when out on a lonely trail and nobody else around.

Wondering about that as it didnt sound normal and so have been wondering if maybe he was already in full blown "heat stroke" already when he went by the witness.

Could those have been subtle signs he was already not doing well by the heat? Any thoughts.

Could very well be. If it's accurate that Paul was hoping to photograph the elusive bighorn sheep, I am surprised he didn't ask the witness if he/she had spotted any. Granted, he may not have known that the witness had already been to the oasis and was on the way back.

Or it could just be that Paul had no time to spare for chatting -- either because he needed to get back to the hotel, or because it was getting so hot. Once while driving to LA from Vegas, I detoured through Mojave. There was a short loop I wanted to walk. Once I started, I realized how ill-prepared I was (e.g. I had no sunscreen, and only a small bottle of water). I just put my head down and barreled through. My sole focus was just getting through the hike as quickly as possible; I didn't even take in the surroundings.

I personally think it is more likely that he knew he was on a very tight time budget. My limited experience with people suffering heat stroke is more stumbling and looking for somewhere in the shade to sit. My only takeaway from the "man on a mission" comment is that when hiking in a hurry and solo, it is easier (in my experience) to not recognize that you've gone off trail- even moreso in a place like JTNP.

I hope in the fall when they are able to search safely that he is found and his family can find some answers.

It would indeed have been typical to linger for a few moments with a fellow traveler on the trail, especially on a vacant trail like that. Most humans feel compelled to touch base with other humans when they're in extreme contexts (or even out for a little hike!).

However, he could have been a "man on a mission" because he had a plan for what he was going to do. At that moment, though, slugging water in the shade during a brief chat with another hiker might well have enabled the mission rather than thwarting it. What could have been.....

IMO He should have been carrying and drinking at least 4 liters of water and a method for treating extra at the oasis if necessary.

....when hiking in a hurry and solo, it is easier (in my experience) to not recognize that you've gone off trail....

I can verify. I had been thru hiking for 4 months, and got so focused on getting where I wanted to go for the day, I breezily began to scamper up a "trail" up a rocky stream bed straight up a mountain. I was scrambling on all fours in some places. I kept thinking it was a very difficult trail, too difficult, I thought, for the AT, which is where I was supposed to be. "Seriously this is the AT?" Halfway up, when turning around would have been worse than continuing, I had a better thought: duh! no white blazes, "it's not the AT". When I got to shelter up top (Madison), I looked at the guidebook and it said something like: "The most strenuous trail on the mountain. Do not under any conditions attempt it without extensive conditioning and familiarizing yourself with the extreme risks associated with a trail of this nature."

Ooooh, boy.

Yes, it's very easy to get disoriented. Even on a massively marked trail like the AT , fairly frequently hikers go in the wrong direction (e.g. south instead of north)..... The JNP hiker could have so easily got mixed up, no matter how "obvious" ("you can't miss it") the trail might seem.

I am always all about being hopeful and positive and upbeat - it's the best medicine for so many ailments
I am always all about being hopeful and positive and upbeat - it's the best medicine for so many ailments IMO - but I am an experienced hiker, have certainly hiked in this general area, and have explored beyond what might be considered safe. If he were indeed lodged between some rocks and without water... well, this won't end well...

That said, so glad they are still searching because you just never know. I just commented elsewhere that real life is not always black and white... and sometimes we are wonderfully surprised.
I am always all about being hopeful and positive and upbeat - it's the best medicine for so many ailments IMO - but I am an experienced hiker, have certainly hiked in this general area, and have explored beyond what might be considered safe. If he were indeed lodged between some rocks and without water... well, this won't end well...

That said, so glad they are still searching because you just never know. I just commented elsewhere that real life is not always black and white... and sometimes we are wonderfully surprised.

IMO - but I am an experienced hiker, have certainly hiked in this general area, and have explored beyond what might be considered safe. If he were indeed lodged between some rocks and without water... well, this won't end well...

I can verify. I had been thru hiking for 4 months, and got so focused on getting where I wanted to go for the day, I breezily began to scamper up a "trail" up a rocky stream bed straight up a mountain. I was scrambling on all fours in some places. I kept thinking it was a very difficult trail, too difficult, I thought, for the AT, which is where I was supposed to be. "Seriously this is the AT?" Halfway up, when turning around would have been worse than continuing, I had a better thought: duh! no white blazes, "it's not the AT". When I got to shelter up top (Madison), I looked at the guidebook and it said something like: "The most strenuous trail on the mountain. Do not under any conditions attempt it without extensive conditioning and familiarizing yourself with the extreme risks associated with a trail of this nature."

Ooooh, boy.

Yes, it's very easy to get disoriented. Even on a massively marked trail like the AT , fairly frequently hikers go in the wrong direction (e.g. south instead of north)..... The JNP hiker could have so easily got mixed up, no matter how "obvious" ("you can't miss it") the trail might seem.
This is a very calibrating post, thank you.
Let's hope Paul is found soon so his family can have closure.
Very sad, and a good reminder for us all that those signs posted for our safety are no joke.

.....snipped for focus......
Very sad, and a good reminder for us all that those signs posted for our safety are no joke.

This is a very good point about the signs put out by the State Parks and other places. Its so easy to wrongly assume they are just exaggerating with the signs to scare us into being safe. But in my experience, the signs are very accurate and are there for a very good reason.

It brings back memories of how I felt about the double black diamond ski signs at the top of Vail Mountain while snow skiing. Being young and an accomplished skier of regular black diamond runs, I vividly remember thinking "oh they are just trying to scare us and the double black diamond runs cant be that bad".

For the next half hour as I slowly side stepped and eventually slid down on my butt to a spot where I could actually ski, I realized they werent joking.

In other state parks that have signs warning us about cougars or bears I have learned to take the signs seriously. It means they definitely have spotted these types of animals in the area before.

I have come to appreciate that the signs are there for a very good reason and are truthful in their warnings.

This is a very good point about the signs put out by the State Parks and other places. Its so easy to wrongly assume they are just exaggerating with the signs to scare us into being safe. But in my experience, the signs are very accurate and are there for a very good reason.

It brings back memories of how I felt about the double black diamond ski signs at the top of Vail Mountain while snow skiing. Being young and an accomplished skier of regular black diamond runs, I vividly remember thinking "oh they are just trying to scare us and the double black diamond runs cant be that bad".

For the next half hour as I slowly side stepped and eventually slid down on my butt to a spot where I could actually ski, I realized they werent joking.

In other state parks that have signs warning us about cougars or bears I have learned to take the signs seriously. It means they definitely have spotted these types of animals in the area before.

I have come to appreciate that the signs are there for a very good reason and are truthful in their warnings.

I am reminded of "Death in Yellowstone" by Lee H. Whittlesey which I read not too long ago, and how the author keeps reiterating that state parks are wilderness areas open to the public, why safety signs exist in these parks, and why state parks are never going to be 'sanitized' in order to keep everyone safe.

It is entirely possible that some people get so easily caught up in nature's beauty they tend to forget what sort of dangers can lurk within sight - thus the need for these signs. Whether it's Joshua Tree, Yellowstone, Smokey Mountain, or Grand Canyon. Maybe it's because I spend so much time outdoors, but I am inclined to believe that most accidents that occur at these state parks can be avoided. Sure there are always exceptions. But that is why state park rules exist and are best to not be ignored.

I am reminded of "Death in Yellowstone" by Lee H. Whittlesey which I read not too long ago, and how the author keeps reiterating that state parks are wilderness areas open to the public, why safety signs exist in these parks, and why state parks are never going to be 'sanitized' in order to keep everyone safe.

It is entirely possible that some people get so easily caught up in nature's beauty they tend to forget what sort of dangers can lurk within sight - thus the need for these signs. Whether it's Joshua Tree, Yellowstone, Smokey Mountain, or Grand Canyon. Maybe it's because I spend so much time outdoors, but I am inclined to believe that most accidents that occur at these state parks can be avoided. Sure there are always exceptions. But that is why state park rules exist and are best to not be ignored.
....Minor correction.... It looks from your examples as though you were thinking of National Parks. Of course, what you say applies to State Parks, too, as well as wilderness areas managed by USFS and BLM.
Simple example of your point: the number of people who mess around with bison at Yellowstone.

....Minor correction.... It looks from your examples as though you were thinking of National Parks. Of course, what you say applies to State Parks, too, as well as wilderness areas managed by USFS and BLM.
Simple example of your point: the number of people who mess around with bison at Yellowstone. And the even greater number who are surprised that bison don't like being messed with, and don't follow ranger instructions.

Gosh, it really bums me out that Paul is still gone. I have nothing in common with him but for some reason I just really am drawn to his situation. My initial thoughts were overshadowed by the way his wife up and left - but as this goes on I’m asking myself if maybe he was worn out on life and made THAT decision. I hope not and it’s a subject I would never treat lightly, but maybe his wife bouncing out so fast was bc she knew he had been down and suspected that. It could explain how the police just seemingly let her go, without much interrogation. It also would explain the radio silence of the family, lack of ’s to travel to the states to be boots on the ground. It seemed like they loved to travel and hike, so I could very well see a possibility that he would choose to remain in the wild openness of the mountains. IDK & JMO. No matter what, as long as she didn’t off him and very successfully hide him, my heart hurts for his wifey and kids. :(

This is a strange situation in that the dogs couldn't pick up his scent. However, the dogs aren't infallible; but it is odd. Regardless, we haven't heard anything that suggests other that what we are guessing happened. Paul went for a hike, got lost, had a medical episode, or fell off or in to something and can't be seen.

LE hasn't given us any information to suspect foul play, so not going there.
Prayers this gent is found soon and brought home to his family.

I read that they had initial hopes of finding him alive as there was rain not long after he went missing. Unfortunately, this affects the scent trail Two-thirds of scent given off by the subject is heavier than air. It falls to the ground or blows alongside to the ground. These heavier particles form a trail. As the bacteria on the scent particles (skin cells) digest the protein they convert the cells to vapors. The trailing dogs will follow this scent. The longer the bacteria works on the protein, the more it is consumed, until at last, it is all gone. Warm, moist weather causes the fastest rate of conversion, more scent, but a much shorter duration. Looking at historical radar (www.piperairsafety.com) there was a large and fairly heavy rain shower that moved through the park not long after his wife reported him missing but prior to when it was likely an organized search began.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717