Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O.K., I'm going to throw out a fringe theory, and I think I mentioned it upthread as well. There is a ton of mystique around the death of Gram Parsons and Cap Rock. I have no idea how far Cap Rock is from the trailhead where Paul started, but maybe worth a look. As I said, totally a fringe theory, but at this point maybe not a bad idea.

This is interesting. I am glad you posted this. The desert is a strange place. I have been in Joshua Tree at all hours. People head there for all kinds of reasons and the vibe is a draw for sure.

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/49siteMap.pdf
O.K., I'm going to throw out a fringe theory, and I think I mentioned it upthread as well. There is a ton of mystique around the death of Gram Parsons and Cap Rock. I have no idea how far Cap Rock is from the trailhead where Paul started, but maybe worth a look. As I said, totally a fringe theory, but at this point maybe not a bad idea.

I looked at the distance and the two locations are at opposite ends, one in the high desert and one in the low. It did make me wonder tho if anyone could have given him a ride through the park from one end or the other. I am sure if that was the case it would have been report to LE. MOO

https://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/49siteMap.pdf

Maps - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

The flurry of posts today got my hopes up that there was some progress in this case but alas we are exactly where we started at the beginning of the first thread.

I have a feeling that even after he is located, we will still not have any answers as to what happened.

The flurry of posts today got my hopes up that there was some progress in this case but alas we are exactly where we started at the beginning of the first thread.

I have a feeling that even after he is located, we will still not have any answers as to what happened.
You could very well be right Jash, but I'm not ready to give up.

I went "walking" around JTNP with Google Instant view. It is very easy to imagine Paul climbing up on those rock mounds, slipping and getting wedged out of sight.

I agree, but I'm not sure the area where he went missing has rock mounds like that. However, there are all kinds of other hazards, like lesser rocks. Even the oasis looks extremely hazardous to me.

I’m not having any luck getting Twitter to open wonder, butI what she’s referring to specifically, the FBI not being asked to search?
It does seem our national parks are routinely criticized for their search efforts, some of which could certainly be justified. Well, just ask David Paulides.
I don’t see any reason not to invite the FBI in as it seems there’s no indication of what happened to Paul, he is after all a missing person, and I don’t recall hearing that the possibility of criminal activity has been ruled out.
I would very much like to see them get involved. JMO

I can't remember where I saw it posted that the FBI aren't typically involved in searches like this (they're not search and rescue types and have no familiarity with this terrain) and the SAR crew (with localized search expertise), coordinated with the Park Service, numbered in the dozens.
I have seen that the family was complaining that other agencies weren't brought in, but having the FBI involved might not be exactly what they're after, since a crime would be indicated, and the spouse is usually the first suspect.

CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Jash's post at the link above from back in August has a video clip of Paul's best friends wife speaking about the possibility that Paul is not in the park...FWIW

Snipped...
…“There is that small possibility that there has been some kind of criminal activity involved in his disappearance,” said family friend Ainsley Otten.

She speaks at the 1:19 & 1:40 mark...fwiw.
CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree National Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018

Jash's post at the link above from back in August has a video clip of Paul's best friends wife speaking about the possibility that Paul is not in the park...FWIW

Snipped...
…“There is that small possibility that there has been some kind of criminal activity involved in his disappearance,” said family friend Ainsley Otten.

She speaks at the 1:19 & 1:40 mark...fwiw.
Thanks for this. This is interesting. His best friend's wife's quote. Hhmmmm. I agree that there is a possibility.

I agree with Rick that the area has some hazardous looking spots. However, I am still not sure he even made it to the trail. IDK why. I cant put my finger on one certain thing. It just feels like several small things put together seem odd.

Why are you leaning towards him *not* being in the desert?

Sorry I am late to respond but I think were he there, where it was reported he was planning to go that day, he'd have been located by now. I know that it can take months, years, decades for some folks who perish in desert areas to be found, but I can only go by what has been reported and shared. I am letting the facts speak rather than having a theory and making it fit. And the facts don't lead much credence to him being there IMO. Eye witness sightings are notoriously inaccurate.

Sad all the way around at this point.

Sorry I am late to respond but I think were he there, where it was reported he was planning to go that day, he'd have been located by now. I know that it can take months, years, decades for some folks who perish in desert areas to be found, but I can only go by what has been reported and shared. I am letting the facts speak rather than having a theory and making it fit. And the facts don't lead much credence to him being there IMO. Eye witness sightings are notoriously inaccurate.

Sad all the way around at this point.

I tend to think the same way. I have been wondering if there was any other direction he could have gone from the trailhead where his car was parked, as in other trails within walking distance.

I find it odd that his wife, when she was at JT was not interviewed by local news. The Park Ranger was, do you not think that her first hand report would be very important to know what she knew to get the information about her story and Paul’s description out to the public. Also, I would have been in that parking lot giving drinks and snacks out to the people who were helping look for him.

If my husband were missing in a dangerous place in dangerous temperatures and we were missing our flight back home to another country, I would be a total wreck. I know snacks and drinks would never ever cross my mind.

Snacks and drinks - Just helping anyway I could at the point of search, there were tents setup there in the parking lot. I assume that they would be providing some water. I am a rock under pressure, but maybe she isn’t, but I still would have been there crying if that’s what it took not sitting in a hotel room.
Then have his best friends wife speak out for the family- I find that this story is sketchy Imo

I’m pretty sure the hotel has security cameras, would LE have checked those? Have they even bothered to verify the story? If left completely up to park officials they would have no jurisdiction outside the park, right? I actually have forgotten if local LE was involved, thinking back I think they were. So, they would have checked all that right? , security cameras to verify what she told the , what time he left, etc.

I found it a bit odd that the poster her called Neal stated he time was off , wasn’t it by about 45 minutes? That’s significant, IMO. Not sure what that might mean.......

If my husband were missing in a dangerous place in dangerous temperatures and we were missing our flight back home to another country, I would be a total wreck. I know snacks and drinks would never ever cross my mind.

She was there for several days, though; you'd think she's want to be supportive of the crew. As it was, she complained about them when she got home.

I’m pretty sure the hotel has security cameras, would LE have checked those? Have they even bothered to verify the story? If left completely up to park officials they would have no jurisdiction outside the park, right? I actually have forgotten if local LE was involved, thinking back I think they were. So, they would have checked all that right? , security cameras to verify what she told the , what time he left, etc.

I found it a bit odd that the poster her called Neal stated he time was off , wasn’t it by about 45 minutes? That’s significant, IMO. Not sure what that might mean.......
That's a good thought about the time. Maybe the car was left at the trail head the day before.

That's a good thought about the time. Maybe the car was left at the trail head the day before.
Ya know, this case just rubs me the wrong way, no matter how I turn.
For one, how do they know he went where she / he / whoever said he went?
Are they only relying on that the rental car was there ?
Did they in fact check video surveillance?
Why was there no scent of him found by a half dozen or more teams of search dogs?
Was there any investigation otherwise, as in potential criminal acts being committed, potentially even a homicide?
Was the FBI brought in to investigate whether he could have either been abducted or , left on his own? I do understand if he left on his own they would not, but wouldn't they need to be brought in to investigate and then to determine that versus an abduction?
Then we have a poster here, Neal? that he claims he passed him on the trail, and that he:
1. Knows it was Paul
2. Knows he was the last person to see him alive
3. Knows that he died up there

My questions re this, are:
1. How does he know all of this? I’ve honestly never heard a poster / witness make such an adamant a statement as this.
Just to be clear, I’m not implying anything, I am only questioning. And, examining the information.

Also looking for feedback from all of you on your thoughts. TIA

Just my own thoughts, and JMO.

Last edited:
This is far from the only case where LE has decided that there was no foul play involved, no further investigation was done, and the family is convinced the missing person was harmed but can't get anybody to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnelson