Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Arizona and we hike when it is 90 degrees. Just have to make good choices and yeah, it's not for everyone. And I admit, as I get older, it gets more difficult. Not so much that I'd stop, just have to make even better choices, like starting earlier, taking more water, paying attention to your body, shorter hikes, or trails with less climbing, etc. ETA: and I'd never hike in black. Just sayin...

I imagine that hiking in Canada requires different choices and planning.

In his defense-he started relatively early. He was reasonably fit, on a short out/back trail Per his wife he had a hydration pack. per Neil he was moving fairly well and didn't "stand out" on the trail (I'm often amazed at how well some folks move, who don't look fit)
Actually he did not start as early as he should have for a day in July. . The temps climbed significantly during the time he was hiking. Also, he wore black clothing and also did not cover his skin to protect from sunburn. Questions also arose previously as to whether his hydration pack held enough water for the duration and temps.

These are the specifics that led many of us to question his level of experience. Sometimes that refers to one’s ability to walk a certain distance. Imo

He wasn't dressed in a whole lot of anything appropriate for that hike. It sounds like he had sturdy shoes, but that's about it. Never mind the UV feature.
51061430_10218138339787678_6611590204975218688_n.jpg

I live in Arizona and we hike when it is 90 degrees. Just have to make good choices and yeah, it's not for everyone. And I admit, as I get older, it gets more difficult. Not so much that I'd stop, just have to make even better choices, like starting earlier, taking more water, paying attention to your body, shorter hikes, or trails with less climbing, etc. ETA: and I'd never hike in black. Just sayin...

I imagine that hiking in Canada requires different choices and planning.

JMO
Im glad you added that you know enough to not hike in black on an extremely hot day. That has always bothered me about this case because I learned about wearing light colors on hot days at an early age and I dont even hike. I always thought that most hikers would know this and that has continued to bother me the way his clothing was described.

Its practically a taboo to wear mostly all black or dark clothes in the hot sunny desert climate.

JMO
Im glad you added that you know enough to not hike in black on an extremely hot day. That has always bothered me about this case because I learned about wearing light colors on hot days at an early age and I dont even hike. I always thought that most hikers would know this and that has continued to bother me the way his clothing was described.

Its practically a taboo to wear mostly all black or dark clothes in the hot sunny desert climate.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think it's a big deal to wear a dark tee. I'm sure you can find experts who say it's a no-no, but it's dwarfed by timing, water, etc.

I wouldn't take the "footprint" part too literally. It took 3 month to find the bodies of Orbeso and Nguyen last year-and they were in the open, only 2 miles from their car. Autopsy offers few clues in murder-suicide of hiking couple in Joshua Tree – Orange County Register

The difference being they found footprints in the case of those two missing hikers FWIW....

It has been reported there is no sign of Paul whatsoever.

Snipped...
...Nguyen’s maroon Lexus, along with fresh footprints, were discovered near Joshua Tree’s Maze Loop.

Just saying...

Last edited:
I don’t believe he would have survived until nightfall or conscious for more than a couple of hours after his due time. He wasn’t dressed for sun exposure. It was a sunny day and 120 degrees. He had on shorts and a T-shirt, exposing his legs and arms to extreme sunburn even in the scant time when he was out there. And no, sunscreen wouldn’t have helped. Furthermore, cotton T shirts are penetrated by UV rays: zero protection; you can get terrible sunburn through a T-shirt.
We’re talking serious burns over most of his body, potentially in an hour after he set out.

On top of that, his clothes were black. In 120 degree heat.

Plus, he had very limited quantities of water (max 3 liters, and maybe just 2] maybe enough for an hour’s walk in those conditions.
I see a low/high of 81/100F for 29 palms on 7/13/18-Weather in July 2018 in Twentynine Palms, California, USA

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think it's a big deal to wear a dark tee. I'm sure you can find experts who say it's a no-no, but it's dwarfed by timing, water, etc.

It wasnt just a T for him though. He was described as being covered from head to toe in dark clothing. Surely not the best choice for a desert climate approaching 100 degrees F by noon.

"He was wearing dark shorts, dark grey, almost black Hi-Tec Altitude VI WP hiking boots, black hat and carrying sunglasses,"

Paul Miller - Strange disappearances from U.S. national Parks

From what I can tell from the maps and from Google directions, it appears the Twentynine Palms trailhead would be the closest (?) starting point to get to the Wonderland of Rocks. Since I am not familiar with the park, I can stand corrected tho.
I think one would take willow hole trail Not the easiest to follow. From sat view, looks like it'd be a very difficult off trail scramble from 49 palm trail.
https://modernhiker.com/hike/hiking-willow-hole/

I'm catching up. RE pushing off a cliff, I don't think there is anywhere on this hike where one could do that. I have not hiked this trail, but it is short, and the google views of route show no cliffs etc. There aren't many places in J tree where that sort of event would be practical (if any-places I'm aware of are ones where a body would be obvious). Even in a park like Zion Or Yosemite-where cliffs abound-bodies falling off said cliffs are normally found quickly.

Just jumping off your mention of Zion for a refresher...FWIW

Snipped...
... They visited Bryce Canyon, Zion and Grand Canyon before capping off their trip at Joshua Tree National Park.

3 Liters is not nearly enough for a hike like that. You'd need at least twice that. And he should also have been carrying a filter so he could clean up water to drink at the oasis.
The sun was beating down, the temperature over 100, the terrain is exposed and dry as a bone, and this hiker was not at all dressed for the conditions. The sun would have seared his bare skin. He might have become stupid and disoriented just from dehydration.

I have hiked ultra-distance day after day. Typical would have been 1 liter per hour, and then I'd have to filter 6 liters in the evening. And these were spring and fall conditions, not summer in Joshua Tree.
He should have been taken electrolytes with him, too.

I don't want to argue or get bogged down but I disagree that he would need more than 3L of water for a hike like this. Sure, more would certainly be ideal, but IMO 3L is enough - i.e., not having more than 3L would not necessarily lead to a hiker's demise in this situation. (We do not know how much water Paul had or did not have.)

The phone call - where did this information come from for the podcast - anyone know? IMO if he had his phone and was able to call out prior to this hike he purportedly took, why would he then leave the phone in the car? Sure, he may have thought he would not have any service so why bother, but why not take it just in case, ya know?

Like so many of you, hoping something can come out of this shutdown that brings SOMEONE peace.
Concur. I'd take around 3 liters. Maybe only 2, and leave 1 in the car. That's a liter per hour, fairly early in the day. That's assuming I prehydrated. his wife said he had a snack (or snacks), IIRC, so no electrolytes needed.

According the Paul's sister, Dawne Robinson, who posted her searching account on Find Paul Miller Facebook page, the Sheriff believes Paul is still in the park, and therefore it is not their jurisdiction.

Find Paul Miller

"We visited the sheriff's office only to find they really have nothing in their files."They too think that Paul is in the park somewhere and that it is not their jurisdiction as a result."

That would include involving the FBI, would it not? LE seems to feel the searching and discovery should be in the hands of park rangers and SAR.
I think FBI would only be involved if there was reason to suspect foul play-MOO

It wasnt just a T for him though. He was described as being covered from head to toe in dark clothing. Surely not the best choice for a desert climate approaching 100 degrees F by noon.

"He was wearing dark shorts, dark grey, almost black Hi-Tec Altitude VI WP hiking boots, black hat and carrying sunglasses,"

Paul Miller - Strange disappearances from U.S. national Parks
If this was his normal hiking attire then that solves that. If this head to toe black if out of the norm for him, then yes, it raises a flag.

ooooh lovely!

Is that at Joshua Tree?
No, that is Red Rocks Conservation Area, west of Las Vegas-near Eldorado canyon, IIRC.
The hiking picture I posted is the lost oasis trail in J tree. You'll note the black cap, dark colored tee, I had way less than 6 liters of water (despite hike being over twice the distance and 2x the vertical feet with Matsadon peak tacked on) , from the shadow you can see it was midday, I had on old running shoes rather than hiking boots, and the temp was about 85 (as opposed to about 90 when Neil passed PM)

IMG_3018.JPG IMG_3018.JPG This is a small wash that crosses the trail about 2/3 of the way to the Oasis, running to the Northwest. It's the only attractive alternative route I see on the trail and if Paul was looking for Big Horn Sheep this looks like a good place to look. Also I did see Big Horn Sheep droppings as I hiked up . I reached the end in less than an hour and continued up to a small peak to the North and from there I could clearly see the parking lot. If Paul had seen the same thing he may have attempted to hike down the mountain and fell off a cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho