Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see the other pictures he had taken on previous hikes. It would give an idea of what kind of terrain he was used to and what kind of risks he might take to get a perfect photo. I would think pictures of bighorn sheep would require special camera gear that allows the pictures to be taken from a far distance.
The bighorn might be used to all the humans scrambling around and fairly blasé about their presence unless someone gets way too close. The bighorn themselves might be nosy enough to investigate the humans

It would be interesting to see the other pictures he had taken on previous hikes. It would give an idea of what kind of terrain he was used to and what kind of risks he might take to get a perfect photo. I would think pictures of bighorn sheep would require special camera gear that allows the pictures to be taken from a far distance.
They had previously visited several NP's in the SW USA and assuming they hiked them as well, I would venture to say he was accustomed to the climate, the terrain and the rigors of hiking.

Park closes trail to search for hiker gone two months

July 13 was the final day of the anniversary trip the Millers, an Ontario couple married 26 years, had taken to the American West. They visited Bryce Canyon, Zion and Grand Canyon before capping off their trip at Joshua Tree National Park.

They had meant to take the 49 Palms hike together earlier in their visit to Joshua Tree, but it was raining and they postponed it to the final day, Stephanie Miller told reporters.

CA - CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2
IME, while shy, one can get fairly close if the bighorn is "upslope". Aside from the one above (I got within about 10 meters of him) , I got pretty close to one in Dark Canyon, UT, & near the confluence of the Colorado and Green rivers in Canyonlands NP. If you're above or level with the bighorn, it's a different story.

Last edited:
A few years ago we were hiking in JTNP and heard a noise that sounded like trickling water, something that is very rare in the desert. We looked up and saw a bighorn staring down at us, about 10 feet above our heads! I was so excited to get pictures of the magnificent and elusive creature that I fell and got scraped up pretty good on the rocks. It was worth it. ;-) We also had an encounter with a group of them in Anza Borrego State Park, not too far from JTNP. While bighorn sheep do like to stay hidden, it's more like being in the right place at the right time. When you see one it's absolutely magical and I can 100% understand the desire to try to find one, regardless of the temperature or having to catch a flight later that day.

Just bumping - Good to remind everyone that this was the LAST destination hike for them - postponed to that very day due to rain - after hiking several other large parks in the weeks prior. Glad to be in such good company hoping for the best and waiting for whatever comes...

I'm sure this has already been explored? At that time of the year, where did the Big Horn gather/perch? AND, what would be the ideal spot(s) to take pics of them in those places?

OT: asking for prayers for our fellow websleuther, GregjRichards. He has some serious health issues that he is presently struggling with.
He’s a good man, a good friend, a good Websleuther, who could use all the well wishes , prayers, and blessings he can get.
Thank you so much dear friends. Here’s a link to his thread.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/watched/threads

I'm sure this has already been explored? At that time of the year, where did the Big Horn gather/perch? AND, what would be the ideal spot(s) to take pics of them in those places?

I don't think big horn are predictable enough to say with any certainty where they were on the day Paul went missing. Oases in the early morning or early evening hours are ideal gathering spots and he was headed to an oasis. I am really hoping all the heavy rains have shifted the landscape and will make the next search effort a successful one. I suspect as we get into more ideal weather, JOSAR will get back on this trail.

I don't think big horn are predictable enough to say with any certainty where they were on the day Paul went missing. Oases in the early morning or early evening hours are ideal gathering spots and he was headed to an oasis. I am really hoping all the heavy rains have shifted the landscape and will make the next search effort a successful one. I suspect as we get into more ideal weather, JOSAR will get back on this trail.
I’m thinking there has to be someone who has studied these animals extensively at JTNP, and who might provide insights I’ve overlooked. I’ll dig a bit more and see if I can come up with anything.

I’m thinking there has to be someone who has studied these animals extensively at JTNP, and who might provide insights I’ve overlooked. I’ll dig a bit more and see if I can come up with anything.
Maybe this will be helpful:

Desert Bighorn Sheep - Joshua Tree National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Three herds live in the park
The bighorn uses open areas of low growing vegetation near rugged terrain for feeding. This habitat preference divides Joshua Tree's bighorns into three more or less separate herds. The 120 animals that live in the Eagle Mountains at the far easterm boundary of the park is the largest herd. The second consists of about 100 animals and ranges through the main part of the Little San Bernardino Mountains. The smallest herd, which numbers only 30 animals, is found in the Wonderland of Rocks. Members of this last band are the ones most often seen by park visitors. Ewes seldom venture from their natal herd, but rams wander rather frequently.

Activity
The Desert bighorn is most active during daylight, moving to traditional bedding areas at night. During the summer bighorn rest during the hot midday, often on cliffs above their water source. Rest periods are also used for chewing cud.

Water is critical to bighorn survival. In early spring of years with good winter rains they get enough water from the grass they eat to go without drinking. At other times they must trek to a spring or water-holding depression at least every third day. Lactating ewes need to drink almost every day. Making the trek to water is the most dangerous part of a bighorn's life. It is in the narrow canyons, where most springs occur, that the adult sheep's only significant predator, the mountain lion, Felis concolor, lies in wait. Most dead sheep found in the park are mountain lion kills.

ETA Scenario. Paul spots sheep at the oasis because it's the hot season where they need to come for water. Mountain lions follow sheep as this is the most vulnerable they are. Paul is chased by and needs to hide/escape lion and becomes wedged in crevice or lost. I doubt he was killed by a lion himself, because it's difficult to imagine there would not be evidence of this...something of his left behind, for example.

Last edited:
Check with the California Department of Fish & Wildlife in either Bishop, CA or in Ontario, CA. There are a few biologists there who are in charge of the Big Horn Sheep program. They may have some stats for you. Here’s a link for their page:

Peninsular Desert Bighorn Sheep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member