Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul's sister, her husband and one of Paul's friends are already there. Two more friends from Canada will be there on Saturday.

Family and friends renew search for Canadian hiker reported missing in Joshua Tree National Park

"When I'm here, I kind of feel Paul. I know it is strange, but for years, he talked about coming to this place," said [his sister].

At the end of the video linked by atlstnspc, it says Paul's wife and children will not be there as his disappearance is still too difficult for them. Also they believe he could be outside of the park.

Paul's sister, her husband and one of Paul's friends are already there. Two more friends from Canada will be there on Saturday.

Family and friends renew search for Canadian hiker reported missing in Joshua Tree National Park

"When I'm here, I kind of feel Paul. I know it is strange, but for years, he talked about coming to this place," said [his sister].

At the end of the video linked by atlstnspc, it says Paul's wife and children will not be there as his disappearance is still too difficult for them. Also they believe he could be outside of the park.
One great big push to find Paul and what happened to him. Fingers all crossed!

Summary of event when Paul went missing and details of the current search

Family and friends of missing Guelph man retracing his steps almost a year after he was last seen - GuelphToday.com

<modsnip>

Dawne Robinson is in California this week in an attempt to find her brother Paul Miller, who went missing last summer while on vacation with his wife.

“When we arrived at the park this morning, it was a bit surreal because in November we didn’t really expect to be coming back again — we thought that we would have found him back then,” said Dawne. “It’s kind of a weird feeling being back, but we are hoping maybe this time there will be a clue.”

“When we walk the trail, it’s a pretty well-marked trail. The mystery is how could things have gone so badly? Something obviously happened,” she said.

Almost one year of not knowing what happened plays tricks on the mind, said Dawne.

<modsnip: snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule>

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to crawl beneath the large rock formations and look up. He is wedged between the rocks is my theory. Sorry for that description, but this is my strong speculation.

Amateur opinion and speculation

That’s my speculation, too. Although—sorry for saying this, too—wouldn’t enough time have passed for his remains to fall to the base of the rocks? If he climbed up on a rock formation and fell into a crevice, is it possible that there is no access, or no obvious access, at ground level?

Although—sorry for saying this, too—wouldn’t enough time have passed for his remains to fall to the base of the rocks?

I wonder if the climate is dry enough there for a body to mummify rather than decompose until only bones are left?

I don't know.

I wish the family luck, I hope they find him this time! And stay safe while exploring!

More from the family

Dawne, her husband David, and Paul Miller's long-time friend Ken Jenkins plan to search the area in and around the 49 Palms Oasis, over the next nine days. On Saturday, two more friends from Canada will join them in the search.

Robinson says the Sheriff's Department is not invovled in the case, because there are "no signs of foul play".

She says they'll make as many trips back to the park as necessary to find closure

Posting this article here again for anyone who missed it: Wife of missing Joshua Tree hiker speaks out

Quotes from Paul's wife Stephanie... and photos... Still too tough for her to head out there this weekend... and they think he might not even be there...

I think of Paul whenever I hike. Perfect weekend for it here in Arizona. Maybe slightly cooler than than is average, which always helps.

That’s my speculation, too. Although—sorry for saying this, too—wouldn’t enough time have passed for his remains to fall to the base of the rocks? If he climbed up on a rock formation and fell into a crevice, is it possible that there is no access, or no obvious access, at ground level?
Not necessarily, and some of the rock formations are so unique that *if* he were able to eventually slide down farther, seeing him might be obscured by another rock. Hard to explain, but I can visualize it. The only way to find him is to get "under" the rock formations and look up. That's my amateur opinion and speculation.

I wonder if the climate is dry enough there for a body to mummify rather than decompose until only bones are left?

I don't know.

I wish the family luck, I hope they find him this time! And stay safe while exploring!

It’s a very dry climate—average 5 inches of rain a year. :( And July, when he disappeared, and August, the hottest months of the year. You’re right—searchers be careful!

I found this. Stephanie Korbich Miller. yt? She is admin of private Find Paul page (not the one that we use here - have to join the group), so I assume this is the wife. Probably her maiden name though, not middle initial.

ETA. Same photo so seems to be his wife.
Thank you for your help.

I haven't been posting for awile, but I have been searching off and on. Back on Feb 16 I was walking up a wash that is roughly North, up trail from the parking lot and found what could be a very tattered and sunbleached partial pair of black shorts. I understand the importance of not moving evidence, so I left them there and called JTNP Rangers and gave them the location. I was walking the same wash on March 30 and found the Rangers hadn't picked up the possible evidence. Since it had been raining and I was afraid the shorts would wash away, I bagged them up and took them home. I asked about Stephanie's middle name because the shorts had a 3 letter bedazzling on them, FMS. M for Miller and S for Stephanie. If her middle name started with a F, I may have been onto something. See the attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.JPG
    IMG_3118.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 89
Thank you for your help.

I haven't been posting for awile, but I have been searching off and on. Back on Feb 16 I was walking up a wash that is roughly North, up trail from the parking lot and found what could be a very tattered and sunbleached partial pair of black shorts. I understand the importance of not moving evidence, so I left them there and called JTNP Rangers and gave them the location. I was walking the same wash on March 30 and found the Rangers hadn't picked up the possible evidence. Since it had been raining and I was afraid the shorts would wash away, I bagged them up and took them home. I asked about Stephanie's middle name because the shorts had a 3 letter bedazzling on them, FMS. M for Miller and S for Stephanie. If her middle name started with a F, I may have been onto something. See the attached.
You never know. Would he be wearing shorts with her initials anyway? However, the letters don't have to be a person's name. Could be a school/ college, etc. Lots of people wear clothes with school or university letters. And, he was described as last seen wearing "dark shorts, dark gray - almost black" as reported. Are you able to find family members who are searching this week/weekend and show them? Was there enough of the shorts left to determine size? If male's or female's (or generic?)

Sad the rangers didn't follow up. Could be because the government shutdown had just ended and I hear there was lots of cleanup for all due to irresponsible use of the park during the shutdown. Any clue is worth sharing, imo.

Nice of you to search.

Last edited:
zecats-

Would he be wearing shorts with her initials anyway?

A: Way back when in college I dated a real Fat Bottom Girl (Tons of Fun) and in a pinch when we were camping she could wear my pants. The opposite could have been possible, so I thought Paul could have borrowed his wife’s shorts.

However, the letters don't have to be a person's name. Could be a school/ college, etc. Lots of people wear clothes with school or university letters.

A: Made with Pink hot glue. Could be anything.

And, he was described as last seen wearing "dark shorts, dark gray - almost black" as reported.

A: Very sun bleached. Hard to tell.

Are you able to find family members who are searching this week/weekend and show them? Was there enough of the shorts left to determine size? If male's or female's (or generic?)

A: I’ll check in with them. Only half of the shorts are left. Really torn up.

Sad the rangers didn't follow up. Could be because the government shutdown had just ended and I hear there was lots of cleanup for all due to irresponsible use of the park during the shutdown.

A: I sent them a picture. They probably concluded that it wasn’t a valid clue. Nothing but respect for what they do.

Any clue is worth sharing, imo.

A: Yep, but IMO as well.

zecats-

Would he be wearing shorts with her initials anyway?

A: Way back when in college I dated a real Fat Bottom Girl (Tons of Fun) and in a pinch when we were camping she could wear my pants. The opposite could have been possible, so I thought Paul could have borrowed his wife’s shorts.

However, the letters don't have to be a person's name. Could be a school/ college, etc. Lots of people wear clothes with school or university letters.

A: Made with Pink hot glue. Could be anything.

And, he was described as last seen wearing "dark shorts, dark gray - almost black" as reported.

A: Very sun bleached. Hard to tell.

Are you able to find family members who are searching this week/weekend and show them? Was there enough of the shorts left to determine size? If male's or female's (or generic?)

A: I’ll check in with them. Only half of the shorts are left. Really torn up.

Sad the rangers didn't follow up. Could be because the government shutdown had just ended and I hear there was lots of cleanup for all due to irresponsible use of the park during the shutdown.

A: I sent them a picture. They probably concluded that it wasn’t a valid clue. Nothing but respect for what they do.

Any clue is worth sharing, imo.

A: Yep, but IMO as well.
I would love for that to be the clue family is waiting for. The black coloring intrigues me. That you found them in a wash, who knows were they originated. All the flooding that happened over the last year at the park could have uncovered the shorts and carried them from anywhere. The pink hot glue makes them seem fairly feminine, imo, though men I know have been seen in pink. :)

Not sure Paul and Stephanie are close enough in size that he could have borrowed her shorts, and quite frankly, I feel sure she would have mentioned that when describing what he was last wearing, especially with a marking like those initials. Still...interesting find.

The family keeps sending out messages from Find Paul Miller FB account. It's not getting much action past that. I asked if they checked his devises Pc's phones tablets etc they weren't. Seems like a bad idea to leave any stone unturned.

I have no idea why because I barely ever get this feeling...but I think Paul is alive. I thought accident or self harm at first but for the last couple months I'm thinking he's started over somewhere. I know it defies pretty much all logic but I hope I'm right.

I have no idea why because I barely ever get this feeling...but I think Paul is alive. I thought accident or self harm at first but for the last couple months I'm thinking he's started over somewhere. I know it defies pretty much all logic but I hope I'm right.
<modsnip: not victim friendly> Missing guy with all BLACK on 100 plus outside forgetaboutit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul was from Guelph, Ontario - this is a cold climate for most of the year. Like here in Chicago, they probably only get around 4 months of warm weather. He probably didn't have many lightweight clothes, and he was not an experienced hiker. In addition he was decidedly overweight. He went out on a roasting hot day, and the 49 Palms Oasis trail can be challenging to someone who is out of shape: "Be aware that the oasis may not be the tidy green enclave portrayed in a typical cartoon. It's a helter-skelter jumble of brush and boulders, largely impenetrable, with social trails around the periphery.
The terrain is significantly different than what you'll find at most other JTNP hikes - more hills and sharp dark rocks, rather than flats and rounded granite boulders. The trail is easy to follow and not too rough or steep. It climbs about 400 feet over a ridge from the parking lot, which you need to climb back over the other side on the return" (Review by Cameron M on Trip Advisor). I suspect he stepped off the trail someplace, got lost, and then walked even further away from the trail as he was turned around. He had little water and food with him on a day when the high temperature was 108 degrees. There is no shade there until you get to the oasis. As he became weaker and weaker he probably fell into one of the numerous crevices there... I was a park ranger for about 5 years, and on an average weekend day in the summer here in Chicago (temps around 80) I'd have maybe 5 calls for first aid to people who had heatstroke or sunstroke. Also, when people get lost on the wilderness they're difficult to find; I knew my patrol area like the back of my hand - ever hill, boulder, creek, even groupings of trees and it would often take me quite a while to locate someone who was lost. Many people when they get lost would contact us for help and they were told to stay exactly where they were. When I'd get the description of the area they were in, I'd have a very good idea of where to find them - but hardly anyone ever stays put. They get nervous, then doubt anyone is coming for them, and they set off again, leaving me a much more difficult job. Alive? I doubt it - if you wanted to run and start a new life without being found you'd need to have a lot of resources and people to help you, and even then it would be very very hard. In the 70's and 80's doing that was easy, but now with computers and CCTV and other technology it's a serious challenge. It can be done, but here we'd have to ask why he would run away, and so far there's nothing to indicate he would have any reason to completely upend his life and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist