CA - Paul Perez, 57, killed 5 of his infant children in 2007, Yolo Co, *Arrest in 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

jaejae

Former Member
Reaction score
Here is a recent report about the arrest and developments in this case:

Suspect arrested in 2007 cold case of dead infant found in Woodland slough – Daily Democrat

Part of the above report:

A suspect has been arrested in the case of a dead infant found in a Woodland-area slough back in 2007, officials announced Sunday.

Further, the same suspect is believed responsible for the deaths of four other infants under the age of 6 months.

Yolo County Sheriff Tom Lopez and Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig are announcing the arrest and charging of a suspect in connection with the murders on Monday.

The name of the suspect, the suspect’s relationship to the victims, and additional information will be discussed Monday morning, according to a joint statement from the DA’s Office and Yolo County Sheriff’s Lt. Matt Davis.

Yolo County, California - Wikipedia

The Yolo County Sheriff’s Office says 57-year-old Paul Perez, of Delano, was arrested in the death of his children born between 1992 and 2001.

“I cannot think of a case more disturbing than this one. There can be no victim more innocent than an infant and unfortunately this case involves five of them,” Yolo County Sheriff Tom Lopez said.

Authorities started investigating after the decomposed remains of a 3-month-old baby were found by a fisherman in 2007 in an irrigation slough.

The office says Perez is suspected in the the deaths of four other of his children. The remains of of three of them have not been found.

Father Arrested In Decades-Old Killings Of 5 Of His Infant Children

Paul Perez, 57, of Delano was arrested at a state prison days before he was expected to be released on unrelated charges. He was arrested in the deaths of his children born between 1992 and 2001.

District Attorney Jeff Reisig said the killings involved lying in wait and torture, though he did not immediately reveal other details.

Authorities started investigating after the decomposed remains of the child recently identified as 3-month-old Nikko Lee Perez were found in a sealed, submerged box by a fisherman in 2007 in an irrigation slough. Those remains were identified in October using new DNA techniques that authorities have begun applying widely in the wake of other recently solved cases. Department of Justice officials checked the database weekly for direct matches.

“Sadly, during this investigation we learned that Nikko was not an only child,” the sheriff said.

SoCal man arrested in killings of five of his children

Perez's arrest in 2010:

NEWS_100516632_AR_0_WNPDLNAFVPMP.jpg

A Merced man is in Yolo County jail after law enforcement officers on Friday chased him down on wheels, on foot and with a K-9 unit.

A Woodland police officer found a stolen four-wheel-drive truck headed northbound on County Road 98 and West Kentucky Avenue at 9:53 p.m. Friday, according to WPD Sgt. Steve Sexton. The officer attempted to stop the vehicle, but it kept going, turning onto Cherry Lane north of Woodland.

After short chase, Woodland K-9 unit helps detain suspected thief – Daily Democrat

I have always found this publication to run good reports even back in days of the East Area Rapist case, Here is a report from the Sacramento Bee:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article239690583.html

Here is another report from the New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/california-dad-suspected-of-killing-his-5-infant-kids-over-a-decade/

Last edited:
The man who discovered Nikko’s remains told The Associated Press he had never forgotten what he saw and was relieved to learn DNA technology helped solve the long mystery.

“When I opened that box, I was 99% sure it was a human body, but I wanted to hold on to the belief that maybe it wasn’t,” Brian Roller said. “When I saw one of the officers (at the scene) start to cry, I knew right then that what I was thinking was true.”

With the new information, investigators determined Nikko had siblings: one who was known to be dead and three others whose remains haven’t been found.

[...]

Perez was initially sentenced to two years in prison in 1990 for assault with intent to a commit sex offense, state corrections officials said. He also has served years in prison for vehicle theft, possessing a deadly weapon as an inmate, and fleeing while on parole.

Officials declined to say whether Perez has other children or family members, or whether all the babies in the case have the same mother.

Sex offender about to be freed from prison arrested in decades-old killings of his 5 infants

Interesting tidbits about the DNA matching process - that they ran the baby’s DNA weekly, looking for new matches. And also it was the first time the DOJ in that state had used the criminal index DNA base to match DNA to an MP.

Here is another report about this case:

Many people don’t realize it, but California keeps a DNA sample from nearly every baby born in the state. Those DNA samples, which are stored in a biobank in Richmond, played a key role in this investigation.

A heel prick helped identify Perez’s alleged victims after decades. Nearly every baby born in the U.S. gets a heel prick shortly after birth. Their newborn blood fills six spots on a special card that is used to test the baby for severe disabilities. But doctors only need a few spots for the baby’s own genetic test, and the rest of the DNA becomes property of the state.

It’s then stored indefinitely in a state-run biobank where it may be used by researchers or law enforcement without parental consent.

DNA From Newborn Bloodspot Biobank Helped Crack 2007 Infant Death Cold Case

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back