CA CA - Paula Pope, 18, Fresh Pond, 3 Sept. 1972

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for bumping, theshadow45.

I don't know what the California freeways were like in 1972, but presently it's a 2hr. and 34min. drive from Fresh Pond to Santa Rosa. I think it's possible she fell prey to the Santa Rosa Hitchhiker Killer (s).
Praying for a resolution to Paula's case.
She should be alive to tell her children and grandchildren about all her adventures in the '70s.

So why would Paula hitchhike two and a half hours to Santa Rosa instead of stopping at home? Or do you believe any and every female hitchhiker who disappeared anywhere in northern California was grabbed by the SRHHM? What proof do you have?

So why would Paula hitchhike two and a half hours to Santa Rosa instead of stopping at home? Or do you believe any and every female hitchhiker who disappeared anywhere in northern California was grabbed by the SRHHM? What proof do you have?
Burblestein, Paula might not have hitchhiked all the way to Santa Rosa. Perhaps she was taken there. Few of us here have proof to bolster our speculations, not even you, I have no proof. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent point, Beekarina, and one based on evidence rather than blind speculation.

Hello. I just created an account so that I could comment on this thread.
Paula was my older sister. There are three of us sisters left, all in Sacramento county. Our parents passed away years ago without ever finding out what happened to Paula.
Paula was 5'10" tall. She was slender and tiny. She disappeared a few weeks before her 19th birthday. She did not have red hair. It was dark blond/light brown. Her hair was straight and waist length.
The story that she was picked up hitchhiking and taken somewhere is news to me. Either it is untrue, or I just didn't know about it. The story that she left the camper and was never seen again is what I was told. This is what I told the lady from NAMUS. It was raining hard that night.
It was especially hard on my mother. For a long time, we kept expecting Paula to come home. Now we are pretty sure she must be dead. Now I think that our whole family should have had counseling after this. But, in 1972, I'd never heard of psychotherapy.
I want to thank you people for caring about this case. I can't imagine how you could solve it, but maybe you can.
God bless you.
Carolyn Pile

Paula was my older sister. There are three of us sisters left, all in Sacramento county. Our parents passed away years ago without ever finding out what happened to Paula.
Paula was 5'10" tall. She was slender and tiny. She disappeared a few weeks before her 19th birthday. She did not have red hair. It was dark blond/light brown. Her hair was straight and waist length.
The story that she was picked up hitchhiking and taken somewhere is news to me. Either it is untrue, or I just didn't know about it. The story that she left the camper and was never seen again is what I was told. This is what I told the lady from NAMUS. It was raining hard that night.
It was especially hard on my mother. For a long time, we kept expecting Paula to come home. Now we are pretty sure she must be dead. Now I think that our whole family should have had counseling after this. But, in 1972, I'd never heard of psychotherapy.
I want to thank you people for caring about this case. I can't imagine how you could solve it, but maybe you can.
God bless you.
Carolyn Pile
Welcome to websleuths Carolyn and I'm so sorry for what you and your family have been through. Thank you for sharing what you know with us.

One of the theories we've discussed on here is that perhaps the story that Paula's companions that night told to police might not be entirely accurate. That maybe they were covering up for something. Do you have any sense of whether that might be possible? I am not sure if you know/knew the people who were with Paula that night. I personally feel that it might be the only way that this may be solved - is if someone does know more and their loyalties change over time.

Hello, Carolyn,
It's great to have you aboard. Whether you realize it or not, you may have crucial information. Certainly, the insights of a relative give a surer view of the disappeared than an official report which is probably just a recap of the info given by folks who were interviewed. Every step in handling information--interviewee to interviewer, interviewer to agency or media, agency or media facts to us--is opportunity for error. Such as turning Paula's hair red.
You seem to be tussling to reconcile two versions of the disappearance. However, if LE didn't share info with your parents, it would seem to them as though Paula had left camp and vanished. So the versions don't necessarily clash. Your parents' knowledge may have been incomplete.
I have to ask. Do you feel you can share information with us? Some folks can't; it's just way too emotional. However, the more that is known about the disappeared, the better chance of figuring out what happened. You're going to do some self appraisal. You either can or can't answer questions, and no one here is going to give you grief either way. This is a victim-friendly site, by will of both the moderators and the habitues.

God bless you.
Carolyn Pile

Welcome Carolyn - I'm sorry that your sister is missing and I hope that maybe we can find some answers for you.

Do you know if this Jane Doe has been ruled out? I didn't see any rule outs on Paula's NamUs profile except three from Virginia.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP17572
Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found October 30, 1980
Location Found Placer County, California
Estimated Age Range 18-27 Years
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Dark blue Levi's jeans, a blue-ish, multicolored halter top size small.
On the Body

Footwear
Blue Adidas tennis shoes with a white stripe, size 3.5.

Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionColor was reddish/brown/blonde.

I know it says the Jane Doe had been deceased 1 year but I've seen that mistaken before so I take it with a grain of salt.

UnidentifiedPersons cases 17572.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo