Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Given the extreme heat of the day, it seems entirely plausible to me that that factor plus exertion in the triple digit temps, for someone used to running in quite cool temps in Berkeley and for the most part, Mass, could lead to death. I strongly suspect he died the day he went missing, rendering heat seeking equipment moot. But MOO. CT I do hope that you or the family will take up the "hyperthermia/hypothermia mantle" and hopefully save other lives through education. You tried your best to find him, as did many others, my condolences on your loss.
The heat seeking equiptment was NOT moot. It was cool that night, and cool for the rest of the week. If Phil died there, the heat seeking equipment should have found him easily even through the foilage.upload_2021-8-6_8-22-12.png

The heat seeking equiptment was NOT moot. It was cool that night, and cool for the rest of the week. If Phil died there, the heat seeking equipment should have found him easily even through the foilage.View attachment 307788
The ground was very hot, some said areas of the ridge reached 115 that day, that DOES impact utility of the heat seeking equipment. He may have passed away not long after the run started. They may have initially focused the search farther south in areas of planned route. We will know more with the watch data. MOO only.

The idea that he did not die there seems quite unlikely but MOO only.

The ground was very hot, some said areas of the ridge reached 115 that day, that DOES impact utility of the heat seeking equipment. He may have passed away not long after the run started. They may have initially focused the search farther south in areas of planned route. We will know more with the watch data. MOO only.

The idea that he did not die there seems quite unlikely but MOO only.
It doesn't affect the heat seeking equipment though. It cooled down after 6pm - way before the heet seeking equiptment was deployed. It was cool every day after, cool enough that the body's heat signature would have been found. I can quote studies here if you'd like. It was a RARE hot 106 day that day that didn't repeat itself. It was hot the two days proceeding that day only (not that that matters, but just adding that fact).

It doesn't affect the heat seeking equipment though. It cooled down after 6pm - way before the heet seeking equiptment was deployed. It was cool every day after, cool enough that the body's heat signature would have been found. I can quote studies here if you'd like. It was a RARE hot 106 day that day that didn't repeat itself. It was hot the two days proceeding that day only (not that that matters, but just adding that fact).
In support of terracotta here, I am certainly no expert, but have done a bit of research on this topic. Even if poor PK passed away immediately, these types of cameras could have detected his body for several days, even in the heat conditions that existed in July. There is also a type of (commonly available) camera that is most effective about 9-12 days after passing. This is all from my memory and I would assume the type of camera or location of their aerial search must not have allowed them to find PK this way.
Moo, I don’t believe it would have saved him, just shortened the search time.
Jmo

Looking at maps of that area, both within the boundary of the park and outside it, keeping in mind this is terrain with elevation, tree cover and other challenges, I am impressed they found him at all.

It is not really close to where he parked from my look at maps. There was no reason for him to be where he was found. I don't think his planned run would have taken him to the Poole Property. I also don't think he would have gone that way seeking help. Going deeper into wilderness instead of staying near an established trail even in the heat makes no sense to me. Looking forward to more data. Something is very off from what we know right now.

My opinion only.
PK worked for PG&E and could have been on Poole property access road before. To me it seems like such a wrong way to have run given the 45 minute time crunch. 12:35pm ETA was already putting PK past his wife's desired Noon to 12:30pm, so if PK was planning on a quick run then depart to Stockton with ETA 12:35pm, it seems unlikely that he would deviate a mile out of preplanned route. Plus, PK seemed tech savvy, expert with outdoor environment, experienced, new of heat that day- like when he got out of his car....not much temperature increase in 45 minutes, so he was aware of how hot it was on trail. If Poole property is owned by Alameda County, why was it not an active search area or even route for search vehicles? Not making sense.

In support of terracotta here, I am certainly no expert, but have done a bit of research on this topic. Even if poor PK passed away immediately, these types of cameras could have detected his body for several days, even in the heat conditions that existed in July. There is also a type of (commonly available) camera that is most effective about 9-12 days after passing. This is all from my memory and I would assume the type of camera or location of their aerial search must not have allowed them to find PK this way.
Moo, I don’t believe it would have saved him, just shortened the search time.
Jmo
Plus, PK was on a game trail which I wonder if there were motion sensor game cameras?

A preliminary autopsy found no trauma. From the SF Chronicle: “While toxicology results are still pending, the initial findings can rule out some of the theorized causes of death that tied back to physical wounds: There were no debilitating head injuries, no broken bones, no signs of a mountain lion attack, said Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Ray Kelly.”

Missing runner case: Autopsy results rule out traumatic injury as a cause of death

Philip Kreycik's Family Devastated After Body Found, Grateful for Search Effort

Updated Aug 6
"Accidents can happen," Jen Yao, Kreycik's wife, said.

It could take days to find out what exactly killed the 37-year-old Berkeley father who went missing on July 10.

"I like to imagine him setting off on his final hike with joy, embracing the outdoors, running free as the wind," Marcia Kreycik, Kreycik's mother, said.

For now, Krecyik’s family is focusing on the future, filling the role of father for Kreycik's two children.

"Phil’s told me that I’m the toughest person he knows when it counts the most, and if there ever was a time that counts the most, it would be now," Yao said.

PK worked for PG&E and could have been on Poole property access road before. To me it seems like such a wrong way to have run given the 45 minute time crunch. 12:35pm ETA was already putting PK past his wife's desired Noon to 12:30pm, so if PK was planning on a quick run then depart to Stockton with ETA 12:35pm, it seems unlikely that he would deviate a mile out of preplanned route. Plus, PK seemed tech savvy, expert with outdoor environment, experienced, new of heat that day- like when he got out of his car....not much temperature increase in 45 minutes, so he was aware of how hot it was on trail. If Poole property is owned by Alameda County, why was it not an active search area or even route for search vehicles? Not making sense.
The East Bay Regional Park District purchased the Poole property in 1990 and it is in "land bank" status. The North Ridge trail ends on that property. A house on the property is an EBRPD security residence and an EBRPD maintenance supervisor lives there on site.

Not sure why it was not an active search area by the official SAR. Part of Philip's planned run was the North Ridge trail so you would have thought the official SAR would have searched up and down this particular trail in all directions, particularly on the north end because a fence line running east to west shortly after the North Ridge trail ends completely blocks anyone from proceeding further. The south end of the North Ridge trail meets Santos Ranch Rd, which is a paved road leading down to Foothill Rd. A lot of this trail also has a fence that borders it (it seems to run right beside it) to the East.

I'm not sure how the official SAR chose which areas to focus on. You can see some of the network of access trails and one access road through this Poole property on the Alameda County parcel viewer by looking up 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd. I am not sure which trails the official SAR chose to search or not or whether they confined the search to just the access road that is a road bordering the property that runs to the northeast direction and ends at Dublin Canyon Rd.

Also I am not sure if they searched in and around the residence, the detached garage and the barn. A fence seems to divide the property between the two parcels, 941-2600-2-9 and 941-2600-3-3. Philip seems to have passed away on the south most parcel. Even if he had been in cooler temperatures, I don't know how he would have been able to go north and exit the park given this fence that completely seems to block passage into the north parcel. Maybe there is a way to do it, but it is not clear to me from looking at the aerial view of the property.

It might have been helpful to the public had they released what they did and did not search during the process so that their gaps could have been clearly visible to the public. That way volunteer searchers could have known which areas had been left out.

Last edited:
I think there may have been some acquaintances of PK’s that were encouraging volunteer searchers to stick with the planned Strava route.

It’s so unfortunate!
Volunteer search efforts were also called off after a week (to resume later but mostly via canvassing neighbors, not hiking and searching) under the theory that he had to be in a hard to reach area (e.g., accessible only by professionals with safety gear). In reality, he was on a well-maintained fire trail until the last 200 feet, at which point he was on a community trail, and a few feet from that, under the tree. Hardly inaccessible by volunteers.

On July 18, an admin from the official FB page called off volunteer searches: “Update as of 10 PM: As always, thanks to the many volunteers who continue to sustain this effort. Tomorrow, we will NOT be sending out hiking volunteers. We will have a volunteer at Foothill High School with flyers to post if you are interested. We are also beginning to strongly discourage independent searches for Philip at this point, as the ground that can be accessed by hikers has been thoroughly and repeatedly covered and we want everyone to remain safe.”

Last edited:
Police say missing Pleasanton runner may have suffered injury, heat-related stress on trail

ABC 7-Report says Kreycik may have been injured or suffered heat related illness. Park district says they get hundreds of calls from people who get lost each summer. In addition, cell phone coverage is spotty in many parks.
I think there may have been some acquaintances of PK’s that were encouraging volunteer searchers to stick with the planned Strava route.

It’s so unfortunate!
The volunteers came to within LESS THAN 200 ft. of the body as shown in Strava search.

The most important thing, is he has been found now.
Well, that's still quite a distance. Especially if he was under foliage.

The most important thing, is he has been found now.

Plenty others haven't.
Thermal imaging easily sees under foilage. We are at a loss to explain why it failed in this instance. This is something that needs to be analyzed if we are to reliably use this technology to find lost hikers, you would agree?

It’s my understanding that not all FLIR is created equal $$$. Then you need a skilled eye to differentiate between the subject and the surrounding. Sounds easy, but I think there’s more to it. The technology & capabilities between FLIR can be vast.

Example: you can bet if the FBI is using FLIR to search for a fugitive by air, they will have very high resolution imagery. It might be different than what SAR team has, even if it’s funded through the Sheriffs office.

I think a victim under a tree would be difficult for FLIR, not impossible, difficult. IMO

The volunteers came to within LESS THAN 200 ft. of the body as shown in Strava search.
https://twitter.com/melissacolorado...ody-found-grateful-for-search-effort/2623391/
Philip Kreycik's Family Devastated After Body Found, Grateful for Search Effort

To add:
Silacci said based on their mapping, search and rescue teams two weeks ago came within 100 to 200 yards from where the body was discovered.

"They did search that area," he said. "You’d have to be very close in order to know that someone was there just because of the topography and the terrain."

PLEASANTON (KPIX) — Preliminary autopsy results for Philip Kreycik, the missing Berkeley jogger found dead in a Pleasanton park, do not show any indication of trauma, all but confirming that he succumbed to a medical emergency possibly due to the heat, according to the sheriff’s office.

Preliminary Autopsy Shows Philip Kreycik Likely Had Medical Emergency At Pleasanton Park

•speculation that he died from physical trauma are likely unfounded

"It looks to us like he sat down in the shade under a tree, and that during that time he had some type of medical event," Kelly told the San Francisco Chronicle.

KGO reports, however, that the Sheriff's Office said there is a possibility Kreycik's cause of death may not be determined because of "decomposition."

Autopsy results for missing Pleasanton runner show no foul play involved, authorities say

Kreycik's parents and wife later sat down for a one-on-one interview with ABC7 News reporter Leslie Brinkley and shared their personal anguish.

"It's so easy for something to go wrong. It wasn't that particularly dangerous when he first went out. It did get warm in the afternoon. But one wrong instance let him down the wrong path," said Kreycik's parents, Keith and Marcia.

They described the moment they got the call Tuesday that he had been found.

"It broke us, but we had each other. It made us really grateful to the people who persisted even though there was not so much hope," said Marcia.

Jen Yao, Kreycik's wife, talked about the biometric watch on her husbands wrist.

"I think that will give us more insight into where he was and what happened. I want to know but I'm also scared to know," said Yao.

She said she hasn't told the 3-year-old yet what happened to his dad but promised "we will tell them stories, we will show them pictures and they will grow up knowing what their father was like."

The Kreycik's have not decided yet if they will have a public memorial. They are still awaiting autopsy results.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back