Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's unlikely he had a paper map: that trailhead doesn't offer them. If he knew about the spigot it would have been from looking at maps the night before/morning of on his phone. We don't have his phone and thus as volunteers don't have his phone browsing history (though PPD would), his desktop browsing history while it has a number of things of interest for how his morning developed (like determining where to drop off a return and how to return the item he was returning) doesn't show any searches for things about the park.

We're looking at search radiuses that start from both car and the footprints. The radius from the car is well searched by both volunteers and SAR, that's not to say something wasn't missed (still plenty of miscibility in there), but the radius from the footprint locations has not been as thoroughly combed yet and we're working on that now. Part of the reason for the search not having turned more south/southwest/west is the existence of that fountain: if he turned south and stays on trails there's a decent chance he comes across that fountain.

also, this is kinda what I came here to hopefully turn folks attention to. We have no reason to suspect Philip self-disappeared. There's of course always potential for externalities that no-one can predict (like serial killer / random person hits him with car and hides body / stumbles onto wrong property and gets shot etc.), but if those externalities are the answer then speculation will do us no good and it's a matter of waiting long enough for something to come out. Pleasanton though is not a place that generally lends itself to these sorts of externalities, and these sorts of externalities tend to leave some evidence behind in noticeable locations: so unless something turns up out-of-the-park which of course would change everything, the assumption and Occam's razor have to be that he's still in there and has been missed. This isn't unheard of, people go missing in parks and get missed by searches all the time. So the most helpful thing right now is not speculating on all the possible externalities that we have no way of investigating, and instead focusing on the info we do have about the park and determining where we should be focusing on searching, where within that we still have gaps to fill, and where we may have missed something.

A fun recent story about how easy it can be to miss a very large item: we recently found a well that was 6'x8', uncovered, ground level (almost no lip), 15' deep before water, 3-4' deep water in the bottom, in a high traffic area of the park just off two different trails (between them). Park seems to have had no knowledge this existed, and we had multiple search teams not discover this and multiple looking for it specifically who repeatedly missed it once we knew the general area.

That's an item that's roughly 4x as big in surface area as a full-bodied person being missed repeatedly, and given wildlife we're looking for less than a full-bodied person and possibly just some shoe remnants. We've got a number of similar stories from tracking down the sources of decomposing odors.

Wow! I had no idea there were open wells in Pleasanton Ridge. Yikes! I hope the park district has covered up the open well.

I don't know how hazy it was that day on July 10th. Do you think it is anyway possible that Philip in a confused state might have seen I-680 from the top of the ridge, thought it was I-580 instead of I-680 and then based on that, somehow might have headed in the wrong direction and attempted to stay on a main trail?

Or do you think he might have tried to go completely off-trail going through the woods as was reported as a possibility in the SF Chronicle? The quote was "Local runners told authorities that it isn’t uncommon for them to decide to take a shortcut back to their starting point and bushwhack through an area to get back to their cars. It’s possible Kreycik did the same, veering off the train onto narrow and steep paths."

Also, this may be a silly question, but did EBRPD, law enforcement or the team of searchers thoroughly search the property around the Garms parks security house on this map https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 south of Tehan Canyon Road? This Garms park security residence and surrounding property have not been mentioned in the press that I can see, but maybe I missed it if it has.

Since the EBRPD park security is located there in Herb and Margo Garms' former residence at 4549 River Rock Hill Road and there is a road that goes a little distance up Pleasanton Ridge then stops, I just wanted to make sure someone searched it. It is labeled GARMS OFFICE & RESIDENCE on the map and I don't know if EBRPD only allows park district employees on the property. There is a fence to the south showing up on the map so I was not sure if it was off-limits or not and whether it was searched at all yet. It is a little bit west of the end point of West Las Positas Blvd on the map where Foothill Rd and West Las Positas meet.

Last edited:
lastly, if Phil was shirtless, which we still have strong suspicion he was, then the sun and heat would have cooked him even faster. You lose the evaporative cooling advantage of sweat laden clothing, lose the ability to wet the shirt at a water source, and lose the protective barrier that reflects so much of the sun’s rays when in an exposed area.

Shirtless is possibly one of the components of why we haven’t been able to find him: since it diminishes greatly the ability of someone with heat illness to recover when reaching a water source and gives us far less material to search for once wildlife is involved.

I keep asking this question but can't find an answer- apology if I'm just not seeing it.

WHY does LE think PK ran shirtless?

Was the shirt in his car the one he had on Friday night?

ETA- I found the answer, thank you CT.

The shirt in the car and seen on the UPS camera was the same shirt PK had on Friday night. That is why it is assumed he ran shirtless.

I personally find that odd, why put on a dirty shirt? Why run shirtless on a hot day, the shirt would be protective and surely PK would know that, so none of this adds up to me.

Last edited:
But doesn't he work for PG&E..? He could get those keys, or at least probably had a contact through work who could.

I should have been more specific. It requires a PG&E lock now but that transition actually occurred during this search, it required the local landowner’s key prior to that.

Some of PK's Strava activities are for hiking and pushing his children in a stroller which is when it would make sense for him to carry his phone. For his trail running in the Berkeley and Oakland hills when he is running for time it wouldn't make sense for him to carry his phone. Strava also shows he was running in Saucony 2021 Everun shoes - not old running shoes. For his age of 37 and estimated 10K time of 35m he is considered an elite runner. The run he planned on a normal day would not have been difficult for him to finish in 45m.
I agree that he definitely seems to be an elite runner and 45 min sounds reasonable. For the shoes, I think Everun is a cushion design by Saucony, rather than a specific model. The model (Ride ISO) is in the FAQ and matches the picture from @runspired. PK's Strava says they've logged over 500 miles, which is pretty much worn out for most running shoes, even if they're 2021 models.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Chris, also on the run Friday in Redwood Regional park, did Philip mention he knew about the excessive heat warning from the National Weather Service that EBRPD Police posted on its website on July 8 for the upcoming weekend? - Log In or Sign Up to View

Or did he mention seeing it on news reports like this one Where it will get dangerously hot in the Bay Area | KRON4 ?

everyone in the Bay Area knew there was a heat warning. That’s all people could talk about that week.

I’ve been following, but I’m traveling and don’t have much time to post. Just want to say this is so sad, and I hope he is found soon! This is so scary and frustrating for his family.

My two cents is that he’s in the park, hidden, and has been missed so far. There are of course times where I am totally surprised by a voluntary disappearance, but I really think it’s most likely that he had a medical emergency/injury and is under or in something in the park or right outside. It happens all the time. I haven’t seen or read anything that would indicate he might run, and foul play seems unlikely too. A man running in a park isn’t usually a target, and even if he were robbed, he wouldn’t be taken away not to be found. A grown man kidnapped? That doesn’t make sense to me. If it were foul play, I think he would have been found.

everyone in the Bay Area knew there was a heat warning. That’s all people could talk about that week.
True, but people on the peninsula and close to the bay sometimes don't pay attention because it rarely affects them. I didn't really pay attention to weather reports when I used to live in San Mateo County because the heatwaves rarely raised the temperature very much there. Then there is the entire microclimate issue here and if they live in one of those places, maybe they don't really pay attention to the heat warnings because they live in one of the microclimate cool areas- https://www.kqed.org/news/11827882/why-does-the-bay-area-have-so-many-microclimates

True, but people on the peninsula and close to the bay sometimes don't pay attention because it rarely affects them. I didn't really pay attention to weather reports when I used to live in San Mateo County because the heatwaves rarely raised the temperature very much there. Then there is the entire microclimate issue here and if they live in one of those places, maybe they don't really pay attention to the heat warnings because they live in one of the microclimate cool areas- https://www.kqed.org/news/11827882/why-does-the-bay-area-have-so-many-microclimates

very true. And Berkeley is one of those places that rarely gets hot, even in a heatwave.

I’ve been following, but I’m traveling and don’t have much time to post. Just want to say this is so sad, and I hope he is found soon! This is so scary and frustrating for his family.

My two cents is that he’s in the park, hidden, and has been missed so far. There are of course times where I am totally surprised by a voluntary disappearance, but I really think it’s most likely that he had a medical emergency/injury and is under or in something in the park or right outside. It happens all the time. I haven’t seen or read anything that would indicate he might run, and foul play seems unlikely too. A man running in a park isn’t usually a target, and even if he were robbed, he wouldn’t be taken away not to be found. A grown man kidnapped? That doesn’t make sense to me. If it were foul play, I think he would have been found.

I do agree with you. PK is slim and small, and I read that sometimes runners in that park take a shortcut through thick terrain where they basically bushwack. This would lead to difficulty finding someone, even with a thorough search. I read also that there are areas where a person could fall and slip into a crevice between or under a boulder, so the person would be hard to find. I think all these areas need to be concentrated on now, which I'm sure they are!

I keep asking this question but can't find an answer- apology if I'm just not seeing it.

WHY does LE think PK ran shirtless?

Was the shirt in his car the one he had on Friday night?

ETA- I found the answer, thank you CT.

The shirt in the car and seen on the UPS camera was the same shirt PK had on Friday night. That is why it is assumed he ran shirtless.

I personally find that odd, why put on a dirty shirt? Why run shirtless on a hot day, the shirt would be protective and surely PK would know that, so none of this adds up to me.

I don't know and sure would like to ask all the shirtless runners I see running in very hot weather. Everywhere. Even in Death Valley. Most of them don't die, of course. It was 107F (in the shade) at the campus where I work, and there were tons of people running the perimeter (several miles) shirtless.

I don't get it. But I'm on WS because I'm a cautious person and I study wilderness misadventure. I don't personally know anyone who runs shirtless (hot weather or not), but I see people on TV and on campus do it all the time.

There will be a press conference at 5 PM (in an hour) by the police department, possibly related to this case.

PLEASANTON, Calif. (KRON) – The Pleasanton Police Department on Tuesday announced it is holding a joint press conference this afternoon to present new information regarding a “recent missing person case.”

The press conference will be held in front of the police department at 5 p.m.

KRON4’s Dan Thorn is on the way to gather more information.

The police department did not release any further details.

Pleasanton police to release new information in ‘recent missing person case’ | KRON4

There will be a press conference at 5 PM (in an hour) by the police department, possibly related to this case.

PLEASANTON, Calif. (KRON) – The Pleasanton Police Department on Tuesday announced it is holding a joint press conference this afternoon to present new information regarding a “recent missing person case.”

The press conference will be held in front of the police department at 5 p.m.

KRON4’s Dan Thorn is on the way to gather more information.

The police department did not release any further details.

Pleasanton police to release new information in ‘recent missing person case’ | KRON4

Per Pleasanton PD twitter, press conference has been revised to 4:45 today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back