Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that. The watch first synchs up with GPS satellites when it's being used to track your run, then you synch it by Bluetooth or other means with your phone or computer later to transfer the run data. My point was that it's sloppy journalism to say that it's not GPS equipped when it is.
Source for PK watch info:
Philip Kreycik Search - VOLUNTEER NEEDS & FAQ

I think the statement that he was at the park on Friday was quite deliberately and significantly put out today by ACS and I believe they must have evidence of it, such as GPS data on the phone. The journalist was trying to explain why he could not be tracked by data on his watch, which is a separate issue and not ideally worded.

That would be 3 runs in 18 hours, or 2 park trips and 1 definite run w/friends, with 1 visit to PR not mentioned by friend Chris, who he ran with on Friday night. Chris said he knew of the planned PR run on Saturday, maybe Philip did not tell him he had also been there earlier on Friday.

"Unprecedented" mystery is not typical language from the police ime, moo.

And this info was not released prior to this: "While the runner did not visit the park often, Kelly said the father of two had run there on July 9, the day before he went missing."

A Berkeley runner went missing. Detectives say it's an 'unprecedented' mystery (sfchronicle.com)

Is this new information?

“We know Philip is a highly analytical type guy,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly of the Alameda County sheriff’s office. “He did things with precision.”

While the runner did not visit the park often, Kelly said the father of two had run there on July 9, the day before he went missing.

Detectives have continued to parse the runner’s whereabouts in the days and minutes before he went missing. They have interviewed family members, friends and colleagues, but have found “no indicators that there is any criminal activity afoot,” according to Fountain from the Pleasanton Police Department.

Through a public tip line, detectives have received between five and ten reports of Kreycik sightings daily, he said, yet none have yielded fresh leads.

Missing Berkeley runner stumps detectives: ‘People don’t typically get lost in Alameda County’ (msn.com)

In his two-decade career, Fountain said he has never seen such a “baffling” missing person case.

Seitz has led Alameda County’s search-and-rescue efforts for 45 years, but called the weeks-long hunt for Kreycik “unprecedented.”

“People don’t typically get lost in Alameda County,” he said.

Nearly two weeks after the search began, authorities have not found a single clue to explain the Berkeley father’s sudden disappearance.

“We’ve come up empty,” Kelly said. “I mean empty.
It’s significant that he had run at the park the day before - why wasn’t that mentioned earlier? What route did he take? Why aren’t those details available?

It’s also very telling that police have officially ruled out foul play - they don’t do that carelessly, because (as you can imagine) liability is significant if they’re wrong. If they were unsure, they would say nothing regarding criminal activity or at least say they were still investigating. IMO, they seem to be leaning towards a voluntary disappearance.

He could be deep in a ravine in mountain lion den or cave. The fact there is no trace of Philip leads me to fear a mountain lion could not resist chasing him as he was running fast, with no shirt, and only 165 lbs. If he was attacked from behind by a large cat and drug down a ravine, into a den or cave, then searchers would not find him. There is no evidence of an attack I understand, and 11 am is not the usual time for a mountain lion to hunt, but there have been many sightings of them at that time of day and later. A hungry lion may not be able to resist chase, especially if he was the only one in the park. The other thought is that Philip looked for cover because of the heat, or he was injured, then attacked and drug to a den. I pray this is not the case and that he is found and returns to his lovely family. Prayers

He could be deep in a ravine in mountain lion den or cave. The fact there is no trace of Philip leads me to fear a mountain lion could not resist chasing him as he was running fast, with no shirt, and only 165 lbs. If he was attacked from behind by a large cat and drug down a ravine, into a den or cave, then searchers would not find him. There is no evidence of an attack I understand, and 11 am is not the usual time for a mountain lion to hunt, but there have been many sightings of them at that time of day and later. A hungry lion may not be able to resist chase, especially if he was the only one in the park. The other thought is that Philip looked for cover because of the heat, or he was injured, then attacked and drug to a den. I pray this is not the case and that he is found and returns to his lovely family. Prayers
A mountain lion attack is possible, but they are very rare - only 3 fatalities in CA since 1986; Phil would be the second male fatality. There have only been 7 total attacks since 2000 in CA, one fatal.

And one more thing. Am I the ONLY one who thinks it odd he went all the way to Oakland to mail a return package instead of mailing it from Berkeley? This has bothered me from the beginning, and I have seen NO other comments questioning this. Why out of Oakland and not Berkeley. That is suspicious to me, only because I don't know what the package was, do we know anything else about it?

A mountain lion attack is possible, but they are very rare - only 3 fatalities in CA since 1986; Phil would be the second male fatality. There have only been 7 total attacks since 2000 in CA, one fatal.
I realize this, but I just have this terrible, terrible feeling as we haven't found him. I pray it is not.

Twenty miles?! Why would he have gone that far, in that heat? He surely would have collapsed long before.

And even if he did go that far, he surely would have come across some sort of civilization or even another runner or hiker at some point.

Plus, if he planned to run 20 miles out, he'd also have to run 20 miles back to his car! Unless there is a loop route?

I'm surprised his father thinks it is a possibility in that heat - and considering he ran just the evening before too!

Remember the skier from New York who went missing, and showed up in his ski gear 6 days later, in California. Stranger things have happened. I understand the hope. I think more like you though.

And one more thing. Am I the ONLY one who thinks it odd he went all the way to Oakland to mail a return package instead of mailing it from Berkeley? This has bothered me from the beginning, and I have seen NO other comments questioning this. Why out of Oakland and not Berkeley. That is suspicious to me, only because I don't know what the package was, do we know anything else about it?

Depending on where in Berkeley and Oakland, the two are not far from each other at all.

Also we runners have trail running specific shoes.
It can be an individual choice. I know some ultra guys with plenty of money who don’t buy trail shoes and don’t replace their shoes until they have multiple holes. They are more toward the barefoot philosophy and don’t cushion their feet. So I don’t think worn tread alone would indicate he didn’t plan to run trails that day. His running buddy would know if that was normal for him. Jmo

Berkeley and Oakland share a border. In fact, there's a USPS right off Highway 13 in Montclair (an affluent neighborhood close to the border of Berkeley and Oakland). I'd consider that this post office is conveniently on the route he likely took to get from Berkeley to Pleasanton (CA-13 to I-580 to Foothill Rd.) MOO.

Berkeley and Oakland share a border. In fact, there's a USPS right off Highway 13 in Montclair (an affluent neighborhood close to the border of Berkeley and Oakland). I'd consider that this post office is conveniently on the route he likely took to get from Berkeley to Pleasanton (CA-13 to I-580 to Foothill Rd.) MOO.
Thank you. That clarifies a lot. I was suspicious when first hearing the story, but after seeing who he was, and hearing from his family, friends, and co-workers, I believe something happened to Philip at that park. Prayers.

I don’t care if Philip is the greatest athlete that ever lived. Overconfidence and complacency kill experienced runners/hikers/outdoorsmen all the time.
I would agree, particularly when they do not stick to official trails. If you look at this Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park map of their *future* trail system plan, and zoom into the northern portion of the Concept Plan map https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=26896 you can see that what they label the Tehan Ridge Trail now in the EBRPD restricted and off-limits Landbank approximates at least a portion Philip Kreycik's path between the Moller Ranch area operated by the city of Pleasanton and Pleasanton Ridge park operated by the East Bay Regional Park District.

If you look at some of the area of this proposed Tehan Ridge Trail on Google satellite view that they plan to complete some day, it is entirely obscured by large groves of trees.

I was born in Berkeley, raised in the area, lived in Oakland for many years, and don't find it suspicious at all. It's not "all the way to Oakland" when you're in Berkeley - Oakland and Berkeley literally border each other. If you take a look at the large area that is Oakland, the border runs just south of Ashby Ave in Berkeley - you can see how expansive Oakland is here. Perhaps he lives right on that border area, perhaps he had other errands to run in Oakland that morning, or perhaps he took 580 to get to Pleasanton (which would most likely be my route) which makes going to Oakland anyway likely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member