Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculations here.... Considering the time of day, if he was attacked by an animal while on his run, wouldn't others hear him screaming for help?

Additionally, if he needed help, for any reason, he had plenty of time to yell for help while people were still in the park and it was still daylight outside.

I live in California and close to this park, and my own opinion is, PK is either in the creek or bodies of water within the park, deceased.

Reminds me of the 2017 Paul Swenson missing person's case, and he was found deceased in a creek in Utah.

If he needed help, for any reason, he had plenty of time to yell for help while people were still in the park and it was still daylight outside.

Not necessarily. If everyone had time to call for help, they would.
And then no one would ever be found dead, because they'd all be rescued!)

But, it doesn't happen like that.

He could've been rendered unconscious/dead quickly due to heat, a medical episode or even an accident and ended up under a bush or foliage at the bottom of a ravine or ditch.

Being as one of the moderators 'liked' my post re. private messages being fine, I think you are cool to do them :) Plus a few other times the moderators advised us to pm

Gotcha! I found the person who asked me, doubled back, was able to find a few examples and sent them. Maybe it will shed some light for them?

Pretty local to the area today on the news his parents were just featured

A quote from Philip's father today, to NBC Bay Area:

"We believe that there's a chance that Philip made it out of the park. If he did, we think that he will come back. He may be recovering from a physical problem or a challenge of some sort, but we're convinced that there's a good Samaritan who's looking after him and taking care of him."

Missing East Bay Runner's Family Not Giving Up Hope

This makes me wonder if Philip's father is simply holding out hope or if the family has more information about what might have happened.

"We believe that there's a chance that Philip made it out of the park. If he did, we think that he will come back. He may be recovering from a physical problem or a challenge of some sort, but we're convinced that there's a good Samaritan who's looking after him and taking care of him."

This makes me wonder if Philip's father is simply holding out hope or if the family has more information about what might have happened.

I'm assuming they have checked in with area homeless populations/camps/resources ? Trying to understand who might be caring for PK, but unaware who he was/his missing status. ETA: This would be great news, if there is reason for it to be true.

Missing Hiker: Friend Shares New Details, $80K Raised For Family

July 28
Evidence indicated that Kreycik never made it out of the park, Thoburn said. Kreycik texted his wife from the trailhead, and he was not captured by surveillance cameras near exit points.

More than 1,000 donors had helped raise $80,000 as of Wednesday afternoon. The money will benefit search efforts and Kreycik's family.

Wow “A challenge of some sort” is very interesting wording.

A quote from Philip's father today, to NBC Bay Area:"We believe that there's a chance that Philip made it out of the park. If he did, we think that he will come back. He may be recovering from a physical problem or a challenge of some sort, but we're convinced that there's a good Samaritan who's looking after him and taking care of him."

Sadly I think his father is hoping beyond hope, because to me, none of that makes sense. It all sounds so naive, but I suppose he needs to cling to something. Anything.

Here are my thoughts:

If he made it out of the park, then why would he not flag down a vehicle or the first person he saw to get help....?

If he made it out of the park, why would he go back there, when he could get help easily elsewhere...?

And if there is a person looking after him, why have they not sought medical help for him or contacted LE...?

Or is his father basically talking code here, as in 'the good Samaritan taking care of him' may possibly be an abductor....?

And saying 'I'm certain he will come back to the park' meaning, any potential abductor should drop him back off there....?

MOO.

Wow “A challenge of some sort” is very interesting wording.

I thought that too. I took it to mean a questioning of his life, or a sort of mid-life crisis, or some sort of mental breakdown.

It's not my theory (as I'm still going with accident), but maybe he did need time away...?

However, if that's the case he needs to contact LE or his wife or his father to let them know he is safe, but will come back when ready.

Maybe under foliage in a ravine, seems easy to miss from photos and descriptions of the scrub brush. Due to the heat the day he went missing the heat sensing equipment was of little use and trees and foliage would also impact it per statements by LE, MOO is that it is quite possible that he is in the park and not yet found.

Yes, I can't even count how many times I've read this has happened: searchers, professional or otherwise, have covered an area thoroughly, and lo and behold, a person's remains/body are reported to have been found in previously searched areas at a later date! It really is mind blowing to me just how many times this scenario has occurred!

Missing Hiker: Friend Shares New Details, $80K Raised For Family

July 28
Evidence indicated that Kreycik never made it out of the park, Thoburn said. Kreycik texted his wife from the trailhead, and he was not captured by surveillance cameras near exit points.

I've been spending too much time on the Suzanne Morphew thread... whenever mountain lions come up as a possible explanation for a disappearance, I become skeptical.

On another note: Why didn't CT run with PK on Saturday morning?

On another note: Why didn't CT run with PK on Saturday morning?

Good question. That was never properly explained by the AMA.

I'm pretty sure it was addressed in their texts, where PK decided that in order to run w CT he would have to get up really early, and instead he opted to sleep in and find somewhere to run along his route to Stockton.

So.....the first night he came and picked up PK, after unloading the groceries. Was JY home then?

mostly because he needed to pick up his wife and kids from her parents' new place in Stockton early afternoon and Mt. Um was too far for that
-- 3rd paragraph under photo of Friday's pit stop for drinking a beer Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses

This is going to be only my opinion based upon different items gleaned from posts, news clips, the AMA and possibilities swirling round in my head. My apologies , in advance, for the lengthy post. Scroll and roll, as we have a tendency to say.

Humbly, I assert that KPs InLaws moved out of his home so very recently that PK was speaking in the texts about renovating the unit his InLaws formerly occupied. They've moved into their own place in Stockton. It is the reason JY and their two babies were with her parents in Stockton.

Having a night plus a Saturday morning free without being surrounded by family was not something PK was accustomed to enjoying. He elected to run with CT and another fellow runner on Friday evening. All went well.

Next morning, PK sleeps late probably for the first time in years. Then, Philip shows up at 9am [can't find MSM link for this ->>returnable] with a package at UPS. By 11am, on Saturday morning, he begins the journey at Pleasanton Ridge trailhead and later his scent is detected by K9s around the trailhead but no further.

July 26.2021 Kreycik, through CCTV at a UPS store, was spotted entering and leaving the lot. The same was also seen through the traffic cameras and the car’s FastTrak. Thoburn said the deployed scent dogs were only able to trace the missing runner from his car towards the trailhead. https://sftimes.com/looking-for-something-hard-to-find-friend-speaks-out-on-mystifying-disappearance-of-runner-philip-kreycik/

PK was supposed to meet his family to take them home in Berkley. Therefore, after his run, he'd drive 45 min into Stockton by 12:35. Only Philip Kreycik never arrived. Nobody knows the reason. JY files a Missing Person Report at 2:00pm.

How did Philip, who likely has planned every step, every move of his life; neatly planned and completed by checking the boxes: education, job, career, marriage, and children. He's planned for well over a decade for success, to fulfill the American Dream only to manage to get lost while out for a short run surrounded by canyons ravines? Nonsense. Didn't happen unless I see the photos.

I cannot reconcile a heat related incident. Berkley neighbors the location of the run so unless PK lived with his head in the sand, it would be common knowledge for locals to know the further from the coastline, the warmer the temperatures.

June 16, 2021, 11:42 a.m.
Temperatures could reach 90s in Berkeley Hills during Bay Area heatwave
Berkeley’s unique positioning between the San Francisco Bay waters and the East Bay foothills means it will get cooler temperatures. Areas in the Berkeley Hills could see highs in the low 90s on Thursday, while the Berkeley flats and West Berkeley will likely stay closer to the 80s.

PK was aware of the heat being in triple digits. Two days before Philip disappears, this happens in Southern CA:
Heat wave prompts California to issue flex alert to conserve power

Thursday, JULY 8, 2021 5:34 PM PT
The California Independent System Operator, which runs the electric grid for most of California, has issued a new flex alert for Friday, asking residents to conserve electricity as a heat wave sweeps the state...

...excessive heat warnings across portions of Southern California,.... Saturday will likely be the warmest day overall, forecasters said." That would be Saturday, July 10, 2021. Yes, I'm aware of the 700m+ spatial distance. The point is that Philip was aware of his surroundings. His job placed him inside the electric power grid at PG&E.

In conclusion, Philip Kreycik was aware of the intense heat wave that would have bearing on any run at Pleasanton Ridge. PK was not suicidal. He would not risk running during a heat wave when he could have easily run from his home in Berkeley and avoided the hot temperatures. Philip Kreycik chose not to run where it was cooler. I don't think Philip intended to go running that morning.

Just a thought if he had a route saved on Strava yet left his phone in the car how did he plan on following the route without navigation? Did he download the route on his watch?
It sounds like he generally had a good memory and he’s done that with previous runs. Even then with side trails and ambiguity with landmarks I would bring a phone to a new location just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hustling01