CA CA - Point Reyes, WhtMale, 40-57, #UP7081, 6’7”, weights on ankles and wrists, backpack with 8 lb rock inside, possible suicide, Aug ‘07

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

EmiliaRT007

Reaction score
You would think someone knows him. Look at that height! This dude was SUPER tall. Yet nobody recognized him?!

On August 25, 2007, the body of a man was floating in the surf of the ocean shoreline.

The man was white, in his forties or early to mid fifties, and had brown hair with some gray and balding, and had brown eyes.

He was 6’7” (200 cm) and 250 pounds (113 kg). He was clean shaven.

He had a 4 inch vertical scar on his right forearm. He was uncircumcised.

He was wearing a blue and black First Gear backpack which contained an 8 pound rock inside. He was wearing ankle and wrist weights, similar to the kind worn during jogging.

He wore a black sleeveless shirt over a white T-shirt “Maui 98”. He was wearing black spandex shorts.

There was a possibly related shirt nearby. A red T-shirt which said “Bordendave Bakery” on the pocket.

He had white Reebok tennis shoes on in a size 12.

PMI of ~3 days, located August 25, 2007 (a Saturday)

Running attire, except for maybe the rock in the backpack. I will say this, I know people who were training for various events, enlistment in the military or specialized schools, etc. and would carry extra weight on them. One person I knew ran in same type of attire but instead of a backpack with an 8-lb rock, they ran with an 80-lb rucksack, the same they would be required to run with in Ranger School.

Doenetwork File says the below, could be suicide, but he was dressed for jogging and found near a popular jogging trail. With high blood pressure he could have just as easily suffered some type of medical situation and went into the water and drowned.

1684864113410.png
Distinguishing Marks/Features: 4" vertical scar on right forearm. Uncircumcised. Previous appendectomy (accompanied by scar); hypertensive cardiovascular disease (high blood pressure).

The decedent was found floating in the surf at Sculptured Beach. Dressed for jogging and found near a popular jogging trail.

Point Reyes, CA.

1684863785435.png

Attachments

• 1684864151151.png
    1684864151151.png
    24 KB · Views: 2
Point Reyes is a National Seashore. This man's body was located at Sculptured Beach.
1684869183245.png1684869215008.png

Park Wavelengths - August 2007 edition - the national parks website info on Point Reyes I note in this particular entry for August 28 regarding upcoming full moon and increase in tides in preceding weeks, of up to 6 feet. I don't know if this would have been at the time he was recovered (or in the preceding days), but it could have been - note that it says to check tides before heading out for afternoon walks to avoid being trapped against cliff sides. I do not know if this is relevant or not, but felt it worth of providing.

1684869430265.png

One would think there would be something other than a rock in his backpack (keys, ID, something) but I did want to mention a couple of other things:

* an 8-lb rock really is not all that heavy considering this man's weight. In fact, it is only about 3% of his est body weight.
* I like rocks and have picked up some interesting ones, carrying them out of where-ever I was hiking, in my backpack. Pont Reyes is along the San Andreas Fault and therefore (see below)

1684871596518.png

The bakery shirt sounded familiar. This UID was brought up before in a thread about Golden Gate Bridge suicides.

I believe the Maui 98 T-shirt is potentially of significance since he was wearing it. I'm going to assume the 98 reference is to a year, 1998. You don't typically find souvenir T-shirts from just regular travel with a reference like that. I'm thinking if this is in reference to a year, something specific happened for it to be meaningful. For example, the Maui Invitational is a well known college basketball tournament - something like that - perhaps family reunion where everyone got the same T-shirt, destination wedding, something specific to the place and year. That is of course assuming 98 references 1998 and for this gentleman it wasn't just a thrift shop pick-up or something.

This popped up as an image on a google search, maybe the shirt looked like this - complete speculation here - wish we had a photo of it because it could really connect to this man in some way. The link to the shirt in photo is not available - shirt was sold, but was described as: Streetwear, Indie, Casual, 90s, Vintage

1684958426271.png

Adding his reconstruction from NamUs to the thread. What a sad case. I hope he will be identified. It's been many years since he was found.

View attachment 519799
The NAMUS file doesn't indicate whether there's a DNA sample on file, or even dental records. I hope there is, or that some of his clothing/belongings have been retained. At one point, California cremated unclaimed and unidentified bodies, so that makes identification very difficult, if not impossible.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether he could be this MP? Too many differences, right? I am using initials for privacy because he's probably not him.

NamUs #MP30928
Initials EJM, missing from TX in 2003 when he was 44 y.o., 6'5", 250+ lbs, brown hair, green eyes (UID listed as brown eyes), scar on left arm (UID listed as scar on right arm), has tattoo (none listed for UID).
Photo at link.

ETA: Charley Project says foul play is possible in EJM's disappearance, so that also makes me lean away from him being in CA in '07, unless he took off to get away from a threat. No idea how likely that is...

Last edited:
The haircut, 8lb rock in the backpack, together with the ankle and wrist weights, makes me think this is someone with a LE or military background. My guess is a medical incident or an accident. If the post-mortem interval was only 3 days, it might have been possible to obtain fingerprints.

I'm curious about this - why?
It might have been part of a physical fitness routine that is inspired by military exercise routines. Military fitness regimens include hiking with heavy packs and equipment for specified distances, sometimes on hilly or unfriendly terrain - it's about endurance in unfavorable areas and building strength. Using weights on wrists and ankles could utilize muscles used to carry equipment. The backpack had only 8 lbs, but that could serve the same purpose - an extra weight to work particular muscle groups. Perhaps something - another rock - fell out of the backpack before it was recovered. We don't know its condition or whether it was open, but it appears that it just had the lone rock. Exercise with lighter weights like the Doe had might have been intended to be a less demanding version of military fitness regimens. He was too old to be active duty - maybe was just trying to stay in shape. JMO

There was a case where a man named Andrew Bookless jumped into a reservoir in NY, with a backpack full of rocks. This was a suicide; he wasn't identified until many years later when a well preserved photo found with the body provided an essential clue. This case could be a suicide as well, but I think the backpack would have been full of rocks - much heavier - if it was a suicide.

This case is more ambiguous, and what he was carrying was not enough to cause him to sink down and stay down. The short haircut can be a habit long after someone leaves the service. This Doe may have been a veteran, and been trying to maintain his fitness level as he aged.

Last edited:
I am really questioning the characterization in the original description that ankle and wrist weights would be “similar to those worn while jogging.” I know joggers about his age (maybe 70 years old now) and joggers do not typically wear ankle and wrist weights. Yes, a heavy rucksack (heavier than 8 lbs.), but the ankle and wrist weights are totally baffling. Jmo

The only people I’ve seen wearing those are older women while walking. It is not beneficial to pull on your joints awkwardly by wearing ankle & wrist weights and then trying to jog. I’m a healthcare professional and this just really seems off to me. More likely he was weighed down to sink in the water. But even that doesn’t fit because it’s simply not heavy enough. Imo

know joggers about his age (maybe 70 years old now) and joggers do not typically wear ankle and wrist weights.

Back in 2007 those might have been more popular than now, though? I recall my family had some little weights you would velcro on -- though that might have been in the '90s.

Nowadays weighted vests are popular. Maybe this was his version of that.

Back in 2007 those might have been more popular than now, though? I recall my family had some little weights you would velcro on -- though that might have been in the '90s.

Nowadays weighted vests are popular. Maybe this was his version of that.
The Velcro style was definitely from the 90s. Sadly at this guy's size and estimated weight I do think the weights and backpack point to self harm rather than hard core exercise. When I have loaded up a pack for training purposes, water is a common choice as you can empty it at any point (especially if you don't want the extra weight on a downhill). And as mentioned above, running with ankle and wrist weights is not a recommended training style due to strain on your joints.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n_g0ddess
Back