Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to accuweather there's a chance of a thunderstorm today in JTNP with about half an hour of rain. Temps at 105 degrees. I must say though that I don't find accuweather very accurate, and also we don't know where exactly that thunderstorm would be.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/j.../92239/daily-weather-forecast/16161_poi?day=1

OTOH weather.com does not predict any rain and puts the temperature at 99 degrees.

https://weather.com/weather/today/l/Joshua+Tree+National+Park+CANPJT:13:US

They said this isn't far from were Laura Bradbury went missing, they only found her skull cap, makes me wonder if a mountain lion got her.

Yes, Laura Bradbury, I remember when that happened. It was very big news. Happened just over the hills at Indian Cove. I didn't know they found a skull cap. But I just read the DNA tests were inconclusive. Very strange case that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From today. Nothing new.

Search in Joshua Tree for Missing Students Stretches Into Second Week

Teams will resume their search Friday for two who went missing at the Joshua Tree National Park as the search for missing hikers stretches into a second week.

Footprints led from the car to the trail, but given the sandy surface, were difficult to follow with certainty for any distance.

"I can't remember a search that I've worked on where there wasn't some trace ... discarded water bottles, clothing, Cliff bar wrappers, whatever it is," said Land. "And we just haven't found anything."

"Our hope is that her 10 years in the Girl Scouts prepared her for an emergency," said Son Nguyen, her uncle.

In a park that now receives 2.5 million annual visitors, a handful periodically go missing, and most are quickly found, Land said.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/cal...ng-Hikers-Frustrates-Searchers-438432343.html

The weather has been such that they "could" still be hanging on somehow, which keeps the hope lingering. Still, the fact that there are no new clues leads me to believe they perished, or are about to. Sadly. :(

The weather has been such that they "could" still be hanging on somehow, which keeps the hope lingering. Still, the fact that there are no new clues leads me to believe they perished, or are about to. Sadly. :(

I agree. I am usually the annoying optimist . I am experienced in backpacking and desert hiking. Even with my daypack I don't think I would survive a week in that park... it's an unforgiving place.

I agree. I am usually the annoying optimist . I am experienced in backpacking and desert hiking. Even with my daypack I don't think I would survive a week in that park... it's an unforgiving place.

Just wondering, how much water would you take with you in these temperatures, if you're planning a day hike, or possibly one day and an overnight stay?

From today. Nothing new.

Search in Joshua Tree for Missing Students Stretches Into Second Week

And that's what bothers me, they have found nothing this pair discarded. Which means, they haven't looked in the right place yet, to the path they took where they got lost. Hopefully, once something is found, they will concentrate their search there. IMO

So Joseph is a survivalist & Rachel's X-BF...???

Gosh I wish she would have celebrated her birthday with GF's instead...

I bet he wishes he WOULD HAVE scouted this location afterall...

:thinking:

Sheesh!!! Why no sign or signal???

:candle:

Just wondering, how much water would you take with you in these temperatures, if you're planning a day hike, or possibly one day and an overnight stay?

Dayhikes in that heat I would say a liter an hour to one and a half hours. It all depends on terrain and temps .That's me being who I am. I don't carry it all in day pack. Would carry a bottle, camel pack a gallon and pack the remainder. I always carry Gatorade type powder as well. I don't backcountry hike ( camp) in desert . I'm a photographer. I will hike day before to find the location to shoot. Hike out then start in wee hours of morning to get to that spot. I'm very cautious though... most shoots I am alone. I take the necessary precautions needed for my safety.

That would depend on what your activities would include and how for you're going. On long desert hikes I'll probably bring a few liters of water and drink conservatively.

Just making the observation that the survivalist teachings I've seen never, ever advise waiting or looking or asking for help. Self-sufficiency to avoid getting into trouble is one thing, but in that environment, once you get into trouble your priority should be staying where you are and trying to attract attention, not trying to survive on your own.

For hikers so young, were they aware there would be a massive search party? Maybe not, maybe they believed they had to find their way out on their own. I believe psychology can play a big role in survival, and that thise who maintain hope of help from others (perhaps including God) will survive better than those who feel all alone against such powerful elements.

I know they mention tracks that appeared that they had walked in circles. But that doesn't mean they continued to walk in circles. They may have realized their mistake and went in a completely different direction, and ended up miles and miles away.

It makes me sick to think they saw the planes and helicopters, but couldn't do anything to get attention. *heavy sigh*

I don't hike at all, but the lack of discarded bottles and snack wrappers makes me think they kept these items with them.

Of course no one should litter in ordinary circumstances. But in a survival situation, would it make more sense to drop bottles/wrappers, or to hang on to these lightweight items in case they come in handy? An empty bottle could hold water if they happen to find a source of it. A shiny foil snack wrapper might be used as a makeshift signalling mirror, or for making some kind of marker visible from the air.

Hikers, would you hang on to such items, or drop them?

[h=1]Couple still missing at Joshua Tree after more than a week; search to continue[/h]
George Land, a spokesman for Joshua Tree National Park, said Friday, Aug. 4, the search would persist, but no new evidence or clues had been found that might lead to the missing pair.

Various areas of the 790,000-acre park have scoured without success, Joshua Tree Search and Rescue officials said.
Austin Young, of Lakewood, who is a friend of Orbeso, said Friday he may travel to Joshua Tree over the weekend to look for the couple.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/0...ee-after-more-than-a-week-search-to-continue/

I agree I'd hang on to anything as being potentially useful. I might try to use things to attract attention to where I was located, but I wouldn't leave them unless I was using them to mark a significant spot so I could return to it myself.

I don't hike at all, but the lack of discarded bottles and snack wrappers makes me think they kept these items with them.

Of course no one should litter in ordinary circumstances. But in a survival situation, would it make more sense to drop bottles/wrappers, or to hang on to these lightweight items in case they come in handy? An empty bottle could hold water if they happen to find a source of it. A shiny foil snack wrapper might be used as a makeshift signalling mirror, or for making some kind of marker visible from the air.

Hikers, would you hang on to such items, or drop them?

Lost. Stop walking find or build shade ( hole in ground ). Leave a bloody filthy trail. Drag stick in ground... find rocks make an arrow . Cut a cactus and leave a " breadcrumb " trail . Unfortunately, most people wander for an hour before realizing they are lost. Don't think you can find your way back. Just stop. Wait.

I've seen so many lost hiker stories lately & this is the first I've seen this suggested - great idea and IMO should be standard hiking gear, along with water, snacks, compass, phone, flares, matches ... what else?
We use it to mark new mountain bike trails so to me it would make sense to use it while hiking. It's probably not something most people would know about but being an equipment operator we use it all the time

I guess neither of them had anything to start a fire with. At this point, because it's survival and death is imminent if not found, I'd light the park on fire. As long as they can outrun it, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xtension