Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much can a person hike a day in this weather and terrain? 10 to 20 miles?

I think it all depends on whether they have access to food and water, most importantly water. If not I don't think they will be moving at all anymore, if they're not already deceased.

How far they could walk if they do have water is best answered by those experienced with hiking in those conditions. I once saw a program (can't remember the name) where it was advised that in these temperatures to move at night and rest during the day. But I don't know how dangerous that would be in this desert because of wildlife.

I agree, the scaled down search is likely because too much time was taken up in rescuing searchers with heat stroke yesterday.

In terms of signals, it depends on supplies and the presence of mind of those who are lost. Not their fault, but being lost can cause such panic, people don't think of the best thing to do, which is to stay where they are and try to signal.

I remember one story about lost hikers who found someone else's matches, and set a virtual forest fire to attract attention! Mirrors can also be used for flashes. Another would be to write 'HELP' on a large space of open ground with strips of anything you can tear up and lines of rocks you can gather, it can be seen from a distance by a plane.

I agree, the scaled down search is likely because too much time was taken up in rescuing searchers with heat stroke yesterday.

In terms of signals, it depends on supplies and the presence of mind of those who are lost. Not their fault, but being lost can cause such panic, people don't think of the best thing to do, which is to stay where they are and try to signal.

I remember one story about lost hikers who found someone else's matches, and set a virtual forest fire to attract attention! Mirrors can also be used for flashes. Another would be to write 'HELP' on a large space of open ground with strips of anything you can tear up and lines of rocks you can gather, it can be seen from a distance by a plane.

RBBM

Yes, all of the above make sense.

Some of the photos of Joshua Tree National Park had pools of water. I'm wondering (hoping, more so!) that they've found some water and somehow are surviving.

If the car overheated or something or other, did they catch a ride with someone???

What are the chances of THAT?!?!?

:thinking:

Where are you two?!?!?

:candle:

How much can a person hike a day in this weather and terrain? 10 to 20 miles?

It depends a lot on the individual and their experience. Somebody in good physical condition, and who is accustomed to desert hiking, and who is taking precautions (seeking shade during the day and travelling in the evening) can cover an awful lot of ground. Say, thirty, fifty miles or even more.

Meanwhile another person would become too exhausted to continue after say 10 miles ( though I think this would be rare) with twenty miles being more likely.

Here's an interesting link--REI's Joshua Tree Visitor's Guide.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/joshua-tree-guide.html

Several rules laid out by this guide:

A few rules worth remembering: Because all water sources in the park are reserved for wildlife, you have to bring all the water you’ll use on your trip: 1–2 gallons per day is recommended, depending on temperature and your activity level. That’s just for drinking. For hygiene and cooking, you’ll need more. Consider alternatives to freeze-dried food, which requires water. As an alternative, the park service allows multi-day hikers to cache food and water for up to 14 days.

RBBM

So there must be water sources available. Is it possible they cached food and water?

IIRC, did they intend to walk the Maze Loop? If so, here is a brief description of Maze Loop and the difficulty of walking it:

Maze Loop Trail, Day Hike (easy to moderate; 6.5-mile loop)

On this lesser-known hike, you’ll see Joshua trees, prickly pear cacti and wildflowers in spring. The hike gets its name from the maze of mini slot canyons and boulder formations along the trail. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife such as chuckwalla and desert horned lizards, as well as bighorn sheep. You’ll also see a lot of rock formations, including the famous Window Rock.

So Maze Loop may be easier than some of the other trails. However, notice the "on this lesser-known hike" verbiage in the above paragraph.

I hope they didn't fall into a ravine or gully . . .

Do you mind explaining the two main tracking methods in more detail? I find it very interesting to learn about it.

The two main methods that I have seen are:

A. "Sign cutting"- The tracker identifies the tracks of the people being followed, then either studies a map of the area or uses his local knowledge. What he is looking for up ahead is dry stream beds, dirt roads, sandy areas, embankments etc where a person would leave more identifiable tracks or "sign". The tracker then "jumps" to that area and looks for the tracks going across it.

If he finds the tracks, the then studies the map / uses his experience and identifies the next area where the person is going and where they will likely leave identifiable tracks. The tracker then goes to that area and looks again. If he does not find any track, he goes to another location, or concludes that he has "jumped ahead" of the people he is following. He then waits for them, or starts searching a smaller area.

B. "Direct Tracking" - The tracker identifies the track and then tracks the person directly. The expert I saw used a stick cut the length of stride of the person. He then placed the stick besides the track and looked for the next track. On all but the hardest rock, there would be very subtle (and it can be very, very subtle) signs of the person's passage. This method takes a lot of time and patience as the track is followed step by step.

Method "A" is a lot faster- when things go right. Method "B" is more exacting. Ideally, two small teams should be used. One team "sign cuts" uses method "A" and jumps ahead when possible. Another team direct tracks using method "B". They coordinate with each other. Also, individual experts can combine both techniques, but the experts I have seen strongly favored one over the other.

...RSBM...

I hope they didn't fall into a ravine or gully . . .
It is very concerning that the phone stopped pinging at 4PM the same day they went out hiking. Assuming they charged it overnight at the AirBnB, it should have been in good order for at least 24 hours? Does this indicate a fall to a low level beneath the range of cell towers blocked by hills and mountains?

This is hitting so close to home for me. My heart is aching. I pray they find them sooner than later and in good shape minus being dehydrated.
I immediately thought of your sweet daughter as soon as I heard the area ... hugs to you and hopes that they are indeed found soon and safe!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is very concerning that the phone stopped pinging at 4PM the same day they went out hiking. Assuming they charged it overnight at the AirBnB, it should have been in good order for at least 24 hours? Does this indicate a fall to a low level beneath the range of cell towers blocked by hills and mountains?

See Post #21 http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nal-Park-27-July-2017&p=13533492#post13533492 for more info. on cellphones in the Park (third paragraph). Supposedly, cellphone coverage can be spotty.

I really hope they find something soon. It seems that they often call off the search entirely after a week or so.

I really hope they find something soon. It seems that they often call off the search entirely after a week or so.

I agree with you in almost all of the missing persons cases that I have seen... LE seems too put the case on the back burner after about two weeks... Its just like they forget about it. Then it becomes a cold case... It makes me so sad

[h=1]Friends holding out hope for missing couple at Joshua Tree: ‘It’s not impossible’[/h]
missing_couple-1.jpg

As the search for the missing friends stretched on, friends and family held out hope the pair would be miraculously found alive within sweltering Joshua Tree National Park.

“I haven’t been able to sleep knowing my best friend in the world is out there,” Austin Young, 23, who lives in Lakewood, said on Tuesday. “I am praying to God he is alive.”

On Thursday, Joseph Orbeso, a 21-year-old from Lakewood, and Rachel Nguyen, a 20-year-old from Westminster, left a bed and breakfast to go hiking, said George Land, a spokesman for Joshua Tree National Park.

Authorities were alerted when the inn’s operator determined that Nguyen and Orbeso hadn’t checked out mid-morning Friday and found clothing, an iPad, and food in a refrigerator in their room.

Their car was near the Maze Loop, in the northwest area of the park, and fresh footprints were discovered leading away from the vehicle.
“The way the tracks were picked up indicate these people could be walking in circles, which is not uncommon when people are lost,” Land said.
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/01/friends-hold-hope-missing-couple-is-found-alive-at-joshua-tree/

Authorities believe that Nguyen and Orbeso weren’t experienced hiking in Joshua Tree, which stretches across 790,000 acres, a region slightly larger than Rhode Island.

“They weren’t desert rats,” Land said. “This is a whole different world out here.”
Orbeso, who attended Lakewood High School, took Nguyen to Joshua Tree National Park to celebrate her birthday, said Young, adding the pair had dated but most recently were friends. Orbeso, a security guard at a Long Beach golf course, loves the outdoors.
“He’s in very good shape, always carries knives when hiking and is a survivalist,” Young said. “He is also the most respectful, honest, and straight-forward person you will ever meet.”
http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/01/friends-hold-hope-missing-couple-is-found-alive-at-joshua-tree/

I agree with you in almost all of the missing persons cases that I have seen... LE seems too put the case on the back burner after about two weeks... Its just like they forget about it. Then it becomes a cold case... It makes me so sad

From my personal experience LE searches for leads and continues to search as long as they have leads to follow.

Here's an interesting link--REI's Joshua Tree Visitor's Guide.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/joshua-tree-guide.html

Several rules laid out by this guide:

RBBM

So there must be water sources available. Is it possible they cached food and water?

Most, if not all, of the water sources dry up in the summer. There have been several years straight (drought and desert) when there has been NO water in the usual areas. This past year we received more rain than usual. Some of those areas started to fill back up. I don't know if they would still hold any water and I do not know if any of them would be in the area this couple was hiking. There is almost no running water in the park. The restrooms are pit toilets with no running water.

this story is very worrying. and why suspend the search :(

They suspended the search Monday evening due to weather and resumed Tuesday at 5 AM. In an article on PE.com they stated that they will continue to search through the week. According to the weather app on my phone, JT is expecting thunderstorms tomorrow. Keep in mind the park is the size of Rhode Island, so I don't know if the part they area searching is included in the thunderstorm area. Where I am, it reached 106 degrees today. It was brutal. I can't imagine searching in the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave