Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to see them switching to recovery efforts. Usually that means they will stop looking altogether in a few days, and these two poor young people will likely never be found.

This message is to provide some hope when it seems lost.

An 83 year old man who had been missing for 5 days was found alive today in Ontario.
He had dementia and wandered off and was found very close to home. He had fallen in a ditch and gotten stuck.
It had been extremely hot here and we have had some severe thunderstorms.
This man survived against the odds. Lets keep this couple in our positive thoughts tonight.

I wonder if either of them had ever studied how to leave clues along the way that search and rescue could follow. Like taking some mething natural in the area and putting in an unnatural place and in threes which is a sign of distress. Or piling rocks in a way that points in a direction, or breaking stacks and forming words in a flat, clear area. Something to give the searchers a clue.

It's been storming all day in San Bernadino/Riverside Counties. It's hot and muggy. Must be bad sorcthe searchers.

I was afraid we were coming up on when status got changed to recovery rather than rescue. I guess we are there now. So heartbreaking for the families.

If searchers are quitting they need to let locals in to do whatever they want. We need to find these two so their families can have closure. :(

I've been trying to figure this one out all day. Desert tortoises probably bite, but to my knowledge they are not poisonous. They are typically found in the southern part of the park, not where these two went missing. Several times JTNP has put out calls for volunteers to come help count tortoises. If they were dangerous I can't imagine the park would ask for untrained volunteers. Now rattlesnakes are a different story and a very real possibility.

I just found a news article about three deaths of desert tortoise in Joshua tree campground

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lanow-desert-tortois-joshua-tree-20170330-story.html

I pray they have not had an encounter with one.... If they have and they got bit there's no telling where they could be... As they might have become delusional from the poison and wondered off until they dropped

Tortoises are not venomous, and they are not capable of attacking a human in the wild. Pets have been known to bite fingers and toes, but it's hardly life-threatening.

I've been trying to figure this one out all day. Desert tortoises probably bite, but to my knowledge they are not poisonous. They are typically found in the southern part of the park, not where these two went missing. Several times JTNP has put out calls for volunteers to come help count tortoises. If they were dangerous I can't imagine the park would ask for untrained volunteers. Now rattlesnakes are a different story and a very real possibility.

A tortoise or rattler bite two people? Not common to strike twice with more than one person . Not impossible but chances are low. Dehydration and lost way very probable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel for the search and rescue volunteers. After 6 days giving their all, heart and soul, I'm sure it's extremely difficult to give up. But they can't keep going, they have to rest up so they're ready to save the next hiker in distress.

Unfortunately it happens all too often, young men in their 20's, with a bit of experience, don't comprehend the risks they're taking. Then when they get into trouble, they can't conceive of the idea that they need to wait to be rescued, but try to get out of the situation themselves. Unfortunately mother nature makes no exceptions for age and inexperience.

I think dulcinea just misunderstood the article. The tortoises are the ones endangered, they aren't a threat to anyone.

I think dulcinea just misunderstood the article. The tortoises are the ones endangered, they aren't a threat to anyone.

Think I think alawaysslueth was the one confused, in post #151, and that dulcinea and stygianowl were trying to figure that post out.

If there is an entire agency out there just for looking for missing people in JT then why is JT open to hikers? Seems dangerous???? ����*♀️

I just found a news article about three deaths of desert tortoise in Joshua tree campground

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-lanow-desert-tortois-joshua-tree-20170330-story.html

I pray they have not had an encounter with one.... If they have and they got bit there's no telling where they could be... As they might have become delusional from the poison and wondered off until they dropped
Think I think alawaysslueth was the one confused, in post #151, and that dulcinea and stygianowl were trying to figure that post out.
Yes, you're right. My bad. "I think alawaysslueth just misunderstood the article. The tortoises are the ones endangered, they aren't a threat to anyone."

If there is an entire agency out there just for looking for missing people in JT then why is JT open to hikers? Seems dangerous????

It can be dangerous, but hundreds of thousands visit the park safely every year. Granted, most of the visitors probably just go to the visitor's center and maybe walk a short, well established trail in the immediate vicinity of the center, then leave.

I believe that the National Park Service had considered requiring a permit for access to more remote / difficult areas of the National Parks. To obtain a permit, one would need to have a plan, show sufficient preperations, and if say, rock climbing, show general proof a certain skill level (climbing log?).

But... outcry from the public nixed the idea as some people thought that Park officials would hinder their ability to use the National Parks. I think a permit system would work fine myself.

Checking in . . . still no sign of them? Ugh.

Praying they are found soon.

A tortoise or rattler bite two people? Not common to strike twice with more than one person . Not impossible but chances are low. Dehydration and lost way very probable .

I'm not saying at all that I think a rattlesnake bit two people. I'm trying to figure out why the article about the tortoises was bought up and how it relates to people becoming delusional in the park.

It can be dangerous, but hundreds of thousands visit the park safely every year. Granted, most of the visitors probably just go to the visitor's center and maybe walk a short, well established trail in the immediate vicinity of the center, then leave.

I believe that the National Park Service had considered requiring a permit for access to more remote / difficult areas of the National Parks. To obtain a permit, one would need to have a plan, show sufficient preperations, and if say, rock climbing, show general proof a certain skill level (climbing log?).

But... outcry from the public nixed the idea as some people thought that Park officials would hinder their ability to use the National Parks. I think a permit system would work fine myself.

I think were at the day and where technology is at hand and is affordable...
They should require handheld GPS devices of some sort for places like this on a National level, no one has to get "Lost" anymore, when I fly on airlines, more and more flights use planes that has no electronics for entertainment for peeps that fly.
WHY?
Because I think they figured out everybody has cell phones, notebooks, laptops because they can afford them and will bring them on the plane for entertainment. Time for mandated GPS handhelds. either they can track or someone can track them, technology has been here for a long time, Even if a percentage follows suit, that's a percentage that survives..... It's cheap.

Where should there insert the microchip?
Between shoulder blades, lol?

I'm only joking. Halfway

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think were at the day and where technology is at hand and is affordable...
They should require handheld GPS devices of some sort for places like this on a National level, no one has to get "Lost" anymore, when I fly on airlines, more and more flights use planes that has no electronics for entertainment for peeps that fly.
WHY?
Because I think they figured out everybody has cell phones, notebooks, laptops because they can afford them and will bring them on the plane for entertainment. Time for mandated GPS handhelds. either they can track or someone can track them, technology has been here for a long time, Even if a percentage follows suit, that's a percentage that survives..... It's cheap.

I agree. We have used them for back country skiing ( avalanche beacons) It won't save your life but does make it a helluva a lot easier to be located in case trapped or lost. They are not too expensive and IMO should at least be an option for hikers to rent.

Where should there insert the microchip?
Between shoulder blades, lol?

I'm only joking. Halfway

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's some funny stuff right there...LOl... Right between the eyes, nice chip Bro! Back to the search....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave