CA CA - Rev. Leslie Crane, 39, Laytonville, 18 Nov 2005

There is always the question, How did they know he kept money and weed at home, when he had business premises where he could have secured it?

That fact would narrow down the list of suspects considerably to people who were intimately familiar with his business practices and the interior of his home, as this article implies. His business had been raided in October and his marijuana and gold had been seized. So, some might have assumed he had more at home...or known he did...or been told he did.

Medical marijuana activist Les Crane probably knew the masked gunmen who kicked in the door to his secluded Laytonville home in the middle of the night, raided his safe of pot and cash and beat two other people with bats before shooting Crane multiple times, killing him, authorities said Saturday.

"From all indications, they were familiar with the interior of the residence," said Mendocino County Sheriff's Lt. D.J. Miller.

Authorities said they have identified possible suspects, but no arrests have been made.

US CA: Pot Activist Likely Knew Killers

I find it interesting that Quinton Cromer, who reported this case for the UDJ, is also a MCSO detective.

Interesting. I can’t access any of the articles in the UDJ. Is there a way to post them, or salient parts?

There is a Quincy (not Quinton) Cromer with MCSO since 2008, who was a Mendocino County reporter at the time of the Crane murder. Same guy?

Quincy Cromer was born and raised in rural Nebraska and moved to Mendocino County in 2004. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the University of Nebraska at Kearney and was previously employed as a newspaper reporter in Mendocino County.

Quincy has been employed in the field of Law Enforcement since 2005 and has worked for the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office since 2008.

https://www.mendocinocounty.org/home/showdocument?id=29006

My point is, Les and The Count both had to know the invader(s). If so, then The Count is probably the key to cracking this murder.

And I find myself wondering whether Les brought his death on himself by boasting about the pot and money at his place, or whether one of his intimates was the inside guy in the robbery.
BBM

I agree that Sean Dilam (The Count) is a key. I wonder where he went in the aftermath. Personally, I suspect someone close to Les either tipped off the group or was in the masked group.

It’s interesting that Les’ fiancée saw the face of the man who attacked her. Did she recognize him?

Since the Anderson Valley Advertiser Off The Record mentioned the suspicion that the same people who killed Chris Giaucque, were involved with the murder of Les, I thought I’d post the info about Chris from the MCSO Cold Case page. There is a link to a reward offered by Chris’s father. Following that link leads to a lot of info naming names. We can’t discuss them because they are rumors, but @Jeremiah Crane might find it useful.

Side note: Chris’s truck was found along the Avenue of the Giants near Elk Creek Rd, which we drove to reach our property back in the day. I hadn’t realized he lived nearby on Salmon Creek (long after our time).

On the evening of August 9, 2003, Chris Robert Giauque went to the Spyrock Road area of Mendocino County and met with an associate near the Iron Peak lookout. This area is located north of the town of Laytonville, California.

Chris Giauque was on probation for cultivation of marijuana and reportedly left his vehicle, a 1994 blue Toyota extra cab pickup truck at this location as he did not want to be seen in his truck on the property that he and the associate owned on Simmerly Road in Covelo, California.

Reportedly, the associate gave Chris Giauque a ride into and out of the property. Chris Giauque was reportedly last seen in this area around 9:00 PM. It is possible that Chris Giauque became a robbery-homicide victim.

Chris Giauque had made the trip to pick up a substantial amount of cash and it was possible that numerous people knew of the pending business transaction.

Chris Giauque's pickup truck was located on August 10, 2003 approximately 50 miles north of Spyrock Road and 3 miles south of Myers Flat on the Avenue of the Giants near Elk Creek Road in Humboldt County. This location is north of Salmon Creek where Chris Giauque resided.

To this date, Chris Giauque's body has not been located and his father (Bob Giauque) has established a website to aid in the investigation. The website located at www.chrisreward.orgcontains additional information on the circumstances of Chris Giauque's disappearance and an established reward.

The investigation into Chris Giauque's disappearance is being handled by the Humboldt County Sheriff's Office in conjunction with the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.

Anyone with information in regards to the disappearance of Chris Giauque is asked to contact the Sheriff's Office Tip-Line by calling 707-234-2100.

• Age at time of murder: 36 years-old
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 145 lbs.
  • Hair: Brown
  • Eyes: Blue
  • MCSO Case#: 03-3247
  • Date of disappearance: August 9, 2003
  • Mendocino County Sheriff's Office

And as can be seen by Lilibet's latest post, new connections are being made....

Digging a little deeper into Les Crane’s involvement in United Cannabis Ministries. He hosted the summit of the First Congress of this organization in Laytonville after they had held a demonstration in SF. The Summit ended October 28, 2005. He was murdered three weeks later, having offered to fund the defense of those whose rights to use cannabis were challenged. A little far-fetched, but is there anyone or any organization who would have felt threatened by this offer?

Les went on to describe his spiritual connection with the Herb around which his life centered.

Les went on to make an offer to fund legal action of any member case presenting the religious and personal freedom rights to utilize this gracious herb that had brought the members of the First Congress of the UCM together, then ended with a prayer for our success.

United Cannabis Ministries | First ever Congress of the United Cannabis Ministries

Awesome I really didn't expect new connections being made like this. Sorry I haven't been back in a while my life currently is well, nothing compared to this but a little shaky all the same. So I've been distracted but once again feel free to ask anything I was not in his house but I was just a couple miles down the road and was around for a while yet even after. So if I can help I really want to

Digging a little deeper into Les Crane’s involvement in United Cannabis Ministries. He hosted the summit of the First Congress of this organization in Laytonville after they had held a demonstration in SF. The Summit ended October 28, 2005. He was murdered three weeks later, having offered to fund the defense of those whose rights to use cannabis were challenged. A little far-fetched, but is there anyone or any organization who would have felt threatened by this offer?

Les went on to describe his spiritual connection with the Herb around which his life centered.

Les went on to make an offer to fund legal action of any member case presenting the religious and personal freedom rights to utilize this gracious herb that had brought the members of the First Congress of the UCM together, then ended with a prayer for our success.

United Cannabis Ministries | First ever Congress of the United Cannabis Ministries
Believe it or not I'd heard Eddie Lepp paid for the hit, and he mafia style threatened me at my dad's funeral after I shut down the " Sharing thoughts" thing once he and his other minister friends were insulting him as a eulogy

Awesome I really didn't expect new connections being made like this. Sorry I haven't been back in a while my life currently is well, nothing compared to this but a little shaky all the same. So I've been distracted but once again feel free to ask anything I was not in his house but I was just a couple miles down the road and was around for a while yet even after. So if I can help I really want to

Hi again @Jeremiah Crane. If you haven’t yet heard back about becoming a verified insider, you will want to follow up. Sometimes processing the request takes awhile and it always involves a phone call, as I recall. There isn’t much you can reveal until you have “verified insider” by your name. You won’t have to use mainstream media sources the way we do.

There is one thing I found that I can’t post because it’s not mainstream media. As it is, I’ve pushed the envelope a little, as we usually have to do with Emerald Triangle cases.

But for your own research purposes, if you google Jennifer Drewry Les Crane, not too far down the results is a blogpost by “NJWeedman” a marijuana activist, describing his visit to the First Congress of the United Cannabis Ministries in Laytonville that I posted about above. He has a theory. I doubt it’s true, but stranger things have happened and you need to know about it, even though we can’t discuss it here.

All the best and I hope your “verified insider” approval comes soon.

Just an added thought...it doesn’t appear that this First Congress was held at Les’ home, so those who attended wouldn’t necessarily know the layout of the home, unless they went there during this visit or another time. @Jeremiah Crane might be able to determine (privately) which of the attendees might have had that knowledge, in addition to the one he mentioned. I say “privately” because we can’t voice these suspicions here per terms of service.

my entire family deserves better than what they've gotten. I'd given up but if there's anything that can be done I want to do my part.

@Jeremiah Crane I don’t know where you want to go with the information that’s been posted so far, but it sounds as if you’d like to at least feel like you’ve done something to bring justice to your father. And that’s what we’re here to facilitate, research and brainstorm with you. It will require some organizational skill on your part or a friend, if that’s too overwhelming, but I’ll give you some ideas about how to start. I actually think this process can be very healing for you. Here goes:

1) Unless you’re good on the computer with organizing files and spreadsheets, buy a large binder, dividers, a three-hole punch and printer paper. Some people could organize this on a computer, but I like something that I can hold. :) It’s easier for me to keep track of a large volume of info this way. But whatever works best for you.

2) Make copies of every news article we have linked here and others you may find. Perhaps Burblestein has an idea about getting the articles he linked in the first post. Highlight important points and start a list of these and any questions that you have and who you might ask.

3) List the writers of the articles, and their contact info with the articles. For example here’s the Anderson Valley Advertiser. Contact
It appears that the reporter for the Ukiah Daily Journal Quinton Cromer is now a Mendo County Sheriff Quincy Cromer, who could be reached at work. There are some other writers too. At some point you will want to talk to them after you’ve done some homework and have good questions or theories. If you are diligent, your efforts will arouse the interest of a journalist who may help you dig in exchange for a story.

4) Make a list of all the names (Civilian and law enforcement) mentioned in each article or other source of info (for example the names mentioned by Chris Giacque’s Dad and the Cannabis Ministries people, including NJWeedman, who sounds like quite a character when I googled him. Also list people you knew at the time...your circle of friends, acquaintances, enemies.

Note how they knew your Dad. Did they like him or not? Owe him money? Are they interconnected in some way with each other or with “The Count”? Draw diagrams. Can you find contact information? Etc. Organize this so the basic information is in columns and the names are in rows, like a spreadsheet. Eventually, some of these people may become persons of interest or even suspects, so it helps to organize this info from the beginning. Some of these people may have enough info for their own page in addition to the chart. At some point you will want to talk to any officers who investigated the case and gather what you can from them and share what you have.

Are you tired yet? :D Digging up this information is time-consuming and hard work, but if you start in an organized way and chip away at it, you’ll get somewhere. Just don’t take risks and interview someone who you think may be involved. Be very careful. Do you have any family who would want to help you?

After you’re verified, @Jeremiah Crane, here are some questions maybe you can answer if you want to and are able to.

Regarding “The Count” (Sean Dirlam):

1)What was his relationship/connection to your Dad. How long had they known each other. He seems to think of him as his Dad.

2)Did he live there or was he just spending the night? Either way, Why?

3)Was he a friend of yours too? You were fairly close in age.

4) Why would this group of masked men come to see him, as your Dad indicated?

5) Did he leave the area? If so, when? Where did he go?

6) In re-reading Polygone’s account, it appears that he’s not pretending to be you. He mentions you...”He [Les] pulled me in and told me to send his love to Jeremiah n I told him he knew I would.”

So does the account he (Sean) apparently wrote here seem consistent with what he told you happened that night and the aftermath? He indicates LE accused him of killing Les. Sean apparently ended up in a mental facility for awhile.

I will supply copies of my files to Jeremiah if he wishes something to start upon. In fact, it is my policy to supply my info to anyone who will work on a given case.

I will supply copies of my files to Jeremiah if he wishes something to start upon. In fact, it is my policy to supply my info to anyone who will work on a given case.

That’s very generous of you Burblestein. I hope @Jeremiah Crane takes you up on that offer. This has gone unsolved for too long, even though LE had a suspect early on. But knowing who likely did it and proving it in a court of law beyond a reasonable doubt is the hurdle to jump over.

And a word about the AVA...when it comes to crime news, they don't mess around. You just have to ignore some of the trimmings around the crime news--the editor does have his pet journalistic hobby horses.
And I don't know if any of you have picked up his byline in my posts, but Bruce McEwen of the AVA is a fine reporter whose style is reminiscent of a modern Ring Lardner.

I would absolutely appreciate that who knows what I've overlooked or forgotten at this point. A refresher is probably a good idea

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back