CA CA-San Diego, BlkFem, 35-45, UP127230, Found outside of locked rear door at Motel, May '78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

phantomstrider

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) (Postmortem Warning)
Date Body Found May 19, 1978
Location Found San Diego, California
Estimated Age Range 35-45 Years
ME/C Case Number 1978-01098
Biological Sex Female
Race/Ethnicity Black/African American
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years) 35-45
Estimated Year of Death 1978
Height 5' 0"(60 inches), Measured
Weight 105 lbs, Measured
Location San Diego, California 92113
County San Diego County
Found On Tribal Land Unknown
Circumstances of Recovery The decedent was last seen alive on 05/18/1978 on the 3700 block of Ocean View Boulevard. According to a witness, the decedent asked for a cab to take her to 3036 K Street. On the evening of 05/19/1978, the probate executor of the Cat Motel, located at 3671 Ocean View Boulevard (who resided at that address), found the decedent outside of his locked rear door and immediately called 9-1-1.
Condition of Remains Recognizable face
Hair Color Black
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Clothing
The decedent was clad in a purple skirt, white turtle-neck shirt, and vinyl navy blue boots.
On the Body

Circumstances of Recovery The decedent was last seen alive on 05/18/1978 on the 3700 block of Ocean View Boulevard. According to a witness, the decedent asked for a cab to take her to 3036 K Street. On the evening of 05/19/1978, the probate executor of the Cat Motel, located at 3671 Ocean View Boulevard (who resided at that address), found the decedent outside of his locked rear door and immediately called 9-1-1.
This sounds like something out of a film noir or a seedy detective novel.

The Cat Motel building is still standing in 2024, with a sign on the front that says "Units Available".

ETA: "verified" apartments.com page for the building: https://www.apartments.com/3671-ocean-view-blvd-san-diego-ca/qglb6zy/

Under the current street numbering, where she was dropped off and where she was found are about 1.3 miles apart. The drop-off point is a residential area with single family homes--I wonder who had that address at that time? I can't find anything about her manner of death, if it were natural, an overdose, suicide, or homicide.

The set-up for the Cat Motel is different than I had expected; the rear of the building is actually on a street (S 37th St), not just the rear of the property or an alley. Even today, there's a sign up warning "NO LOITERING," so perhaps people hung out at the gate even then. There is, however, a narrow alley with trashcans along the side of the property, and, if the gate weren't there, a courtyard area with what would now be front doors for the rooms.

I couldn't find any information about the motel specifically, but there are several articles from the L.A. Times about high crime in the area at that time, centering around 37th and Milbrae, which is literally the next intersection down from the motel--you can see the intersection from the entrance. Long-time residents in the area complained about drug use (heroin and cocaine), violence (stabbings and gun-related crimes), and two of the most dangerous traffic intersections in the city (32nd and Ocean View at #7, 36th and Ocean View at #12, at least one article about a hit and run that seriously injured a child along Ocean View). Ocean View Blvd was described as "a hangout for transient teen-agers and drug traffic in the neighborhood is as swift as the fast-moving cars."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz
Back