Identified! CA - San Francisco, AsianFem 1273UFCA, 15-25, buried at Lake Merced, Oct'76 - Judy Gifford

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello. Thank you, everyone, who contributed to this thread. I stumbled upon this thread by searching the internet to see what was out there. I wanted to provide an update that last week, SFPD informed my family that they have matched this girl's profile to my half-sister, Judy Gifford, age 15. She had had been missing since the mid-1970s. My DNA and my aunt's DNA matched the DNA that of AsianFem1273UFC (aka San Francisco Jane Doe #40).

At the time of this incident, my parents, my younger sister, and I were living at Park Merced. I have a picture of Judy wearing a necklace that SFPD believes to be the same necklace. I wish I could upload the picture to this thread for everyone's benefit, but it seems to only accept URL's.

But thank you for this thread. I had no idea this even existed until now. I guess this is a thread that can now be marked as "Successfully Complete".

Warmly,
Will

Hello. Thank you, everyone, who contributed to this thread. I stumbled upon this thread by searching the internet to see what was out there. I wanted to provide an update that last week, SFPD informed my family that they have matched this girl's profile to my half-sister, Judy Gifford, age 15. She had had been missing since the mid-1970s. My DNA and my aunt's DNA matched the DNA that of AsianFem1273UFC (aka San Francisco Jane Doe #40).

At the time of this incident, my parents, my younger sister, and I were living at Park Merced. I have a picture of Judy wearing a necklace that SFPD believes to be the same necklace. I wish I could upload the picture to this thread for everyone's benefit, but it seems to only accept URL's.

But thank you for this thread. I had no idea this even existed until now. I guess this is a thread that can now be marked as "Successfully Complete".

Warmly,
Will

Will, my condolences on the loss of your sister Judy. I am so glad she her identity has been revealed and her story can now be told.

For photos, they can be uploaded from sites such as photobucket if you had an account.

15 years old. Too young to be taken away. Now that Judy is identified I truly hope that more pieces of her story can be put together and that whoever perpetrated this crime is brought to justice.

Warmly,
Will

My sincere condolences Will, for you and your family. You could upload a file, if you want to show a picture of Judy. (button right under the tekst)

Here she is. What a beautiful, sweet looking girl. Such a shame. So very young, youth, the ultimate beauty. RIP sweet girl.
gifford_judy.jpg

Last edited:

Warmly,
Will

Oh Will. I've been reading here a long time but never signed up. Your post prompted me to do so. Condolences from the bottom of my heart. Families come in all sorts, but no matter what, nobody deserved to be treated as your sister was. May Judy RIP and your family have some solace that she is now found.

NJ-Based Aunt, Cops Help ID Remains of Child in Decades-Old Cold Case

Original
Judy-Gifford-Cold-Case-San-Fran-CA-NJ.jpg

After nearly half a century, New Jersey State Police used newly gathered DNA evidence from a hopeful aunt to help investigators in San Francisco identify the remains of a murdered 14-year-old girl.

The unfortunate story began to unravel when a man walking his dog on Oct. 1, 1976 “discovered a hand protruding from the sand behind a pumping station in Lake Merced, San Francisco,” according to New Jersey State Police.

California detectives subsequently determined that the victim was a young Asian girl whose body was found with distinctive jewelry, including a gold chain and owl necklace found in her pocket.

The young girl’s death was ultimately ruled a homicide.

Years later, a man named William Shin told police in San Francisco that he remembered having a sister when he was a child who went missing at the age of 14 and that nobody in his family had "seen or heard from her since 1976," according to NJSP.
---
As a result, San Francisco police began to think that the remains discovered in 1976 were that of Judy Gifford and found a paternal aunt of Judy's, Ogee Gifford, in Southampton, New Jersey. That's when they contacted New Jersey State Police for help.

It turned out Ogee never changed her phone number as she held on to the hope that her missing niece would call, NJSP said.
---
New Jersey Sate Police Missing Persons Unit met with with the aunt in June and collected a DNA sample, dental records and photographs - including photographs of Judy wearing a gold chain and an owl pendant necklace, the same as the jewelry found on the unidentified teen girl decades ago.
---
After 43 years of not having a name, on Nov. 14, the California Department of Justice announced that the remains of the Jane Doe found in 1976 were positively identified as that of Judy Gifford.

New Jersey-Based Aunt, Cops Help ID Remains of Child in Decades-Old San Francisco Cold Case

Gifford's half-brother, William Shin, formally reported her missing to the San Francisco Police Department in 2017, telling them that he and his family had not seen or heard from her since she was 14 years old. As a result, police linked Gifford to the homicide investigation. Shin had remembered having a sister when he was a child and decided to investigate on his own, consulting family before he made the report, police said.

San Francisco Chronicle reported.

In June, New Jersey authorities met with Gifford's aunt, Ogee Gifford, to obtain a DNA sample and gather photographs and dental records. One of the photographs showed Gifford wearing the necklace that was found with her remains, police said.

Ogee Gifford did not change her phone number for more than four decadesin case her niece ever called, police said.

San Francisco Police are now trying to determine who killed her, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
Remains of teen murdered in 1976 identified as missing 14-year-old by California investigators

Warmly,
Will

Will,

Thank you for all of the information. Much information I never knew about Judy. I am John and Ogee Gifford's nephew Michael. My parents spent much time with John and Ogee Gifford and her brother Mike at the time of my birth. I was named after him.

Will,

Thank you for all of the information. Much information I never knew about Judy. I am John and Ogee Gifford's nephew Michael. My parents spent much time with John and Ogee Gifford and her brother Mike at the time of my birth. I was named after him.

Welcome, Michael. I'm sorry you didn't get to know Judy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD1908
Back