Identified! CA - San Francisco, Male body parts in suitcase, Jan'15 - Omar Shahwan

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfranci...n-with-sf-body-parts-case/Content?oid=2918536

Man charged with murder in connection with SF body parts case
By Bay City News

"Mark Andrus, 59, was arrested in connection with a case in which body parts were found in the suitcase and near the suitcase on 11th Street between Market and Mission streets Wednesday afternoon, Officer Grace Gatpandan said.

Additional remains were found in a trash can half a block away from the original scene. The San Francisco Police Department said that some of the body parts were missing, but declined to say which ones."​

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfranci...n-with-sf-body-parts-case/Content?oid=2918536

Man charged with murder in connection with SF body parts case
By Bay City News
"Mark Andrus, 59, was arrested in connection with a case in which body parts were found in the suitcase and near the suitcase on 11th Street between Market and Mission streets Wednesday afternoon, Officer Grace Gatpandan said.

Additional remains were found in a trash can half a block away from the original scene. The San Francisco Police Department said that some of the body parts were missing, but declined to say which ones."

OMG, I don't even want to fathom a guess. Do they have any evidence that this guy murdered the guy or just that he dropped off the suitcase and other body parts?

http://abc7news.com/news/arraignment-scheduled-for-suspect-in-sf-body-parts-case/499859/

Arraignment is scheduled for early this week for a man arrested in connection with a dismembered body found in a suitcase in San Francisco.

People who live in the building where murder suspect Mark Andrus was staying say they're in shock... Andrus didn't officially live there. But one longtime resident told ABC7 News that the 59-year-old has lived there on and off for about a year. He bunked with a friend on the fourth floor.

I only visited SF once, don't know much about it at all, but the one thing I did hear many times is to avoid the Tenderloin district!

I thought I lived in lower nob hill...I was so insulted when a cab driver told me it was the "Upper Tenderloin" :)

OMG, I don't even want to fathom a guess. Do they have any evidence that this guy murdered the guy or just that he dropped off the suitcase and other body parts?

been following this from afar, and that was my first thought...he got caught dumping the body.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...dismembered-body-roommate-20150202-story.html

Andrus’ friend Mark Keever told the Chronicle on Sunday that police have the wrong man. “With all my heart and soul, it’s not him, and that’s the honest-to-God’s truth,” Keever told the Chronicle.

The pair have been sharing an apartment together for the last few years, Keever said. He accused police of targeting his friend because he looks like a homeless person.

I found some of the surveillance video and watched it. These have probably been posted, but this is where I found the surveillance footage.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO SHOWS SUSPECT IN HUMAN REMAINS CASE WITH SUITCASE (WKGO ABC-7 San Francisco, CA)

SF POLICE DETAIN MAN IN CONNECTION WITH BODY PARTS FOUND IN SUITCASE (WKGO ABC-7 San Francisco, CA)

I don't know if it's my computer, the video quality or video effects (zoom-in, slow-down, etc), but it looked worse than crap! Again, it is zoomed-in, slowed down, replayed and looks terrible. But I thought (on one of the replays) that it kind of looked like he was moving it away from the edge of the street at the intersection he's crossing.

His friend also seems to think he wasn't capable of killing someone. I feel even more strongly that he was either in the wrong place at the wrong time or paid to ditch the suitcase or something like that.

http://sfist.com/2015/02/02/murder_suspect_mark_andrus_had_been.php

The Chronicle dug up court records showing Andrus had arrests back in the '80s and '90s in his hometown of Missoula, Montana for drug possession and burglary.

He's been a denizen of the Tenderloin for at least five years, having stayed with a female friend at the Krupa Hotel at 700 Jones Street for a couple of years back around 2010.

A sister-in-law in Spokane says she and her husband hadn't heard from Andrus in about 20 years.

Yeah, I mean if he's a homeless guy that's been hanging around SF for years and hasn't had a history of violence, I can't really imagine that he would suddenly dismember a body and put it in a suitcase... On the other hand, LEO originally said it looked like the body could have a connection to gang violence. It seems absolutely certain to me that he was instructed to dump it and didn't actually commit the murder. But who knows?

Yeah, I mean if he's a homeless guy that's been hanging around SF for years and hasn't had a history of violence, I can't really imagine that he would suddenly dismember a body and put it in a suitcase... On the other hand, LEO originally said it looked like the body could have a connection to gang violence. It seems absolutely certain to me that he was instructed to dump it and didn't actually commit the murder. But who knows?

if he was paid to dump it from organiZed crime, i think he should have told the cops that before his name ended up all over the news. but maybe he is slow?

if he was paid to dump it from organiZed crime, i think he should have told the cops that before his name ended up all over the news. but maybe he is slow?

Yeah, I mean just from my understanding of the SF homeless community in this area, I would imagine that he is disabled in some way or strung-out on something. I also feel like transients likely don't have a really good relationship with LE, and especially if he's on drugs, I don't think wandering into a police station would even cross his mind. If he was paid in drugs or money, he might have feared having to give up his profit.

San Francisco police are looking into whether a friend and former roommate of murder suspect Mark Jeffrey Andrus was the victim. The friend, 58-year-old Omar Shahwan, who lives in Vallejo but often spent time with Andrus in San Francisco, had already been missing when the gruesome discovery was made Wednesday afternoon. The dumped remains did not include a head or hands, making an identification through dental records or fingerprints impossible.

more here: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/S-F-cops-investigating-if-missing-Vallejo-man-is-6057920.php

From this morning's SFGate article linked above:

"Prosecutors have a Tuesday deadline to decide whether to charge Andrus, who is being held without bail. Officials with the San Francisco County Sheriff’s Department said Monday that Andrus was not available to be interviewed by the news media."

According to city records, Andrus and Shahwan lived together in 2010 at the Krupa Hotel, a single-room-occupancy hotel at 700 Jones St., and filed lawsuits after apparently fearing eviction. The two were good friends, according to Keever, and would occasionally stop by his home to hang out.

Keever, who was briefly detained along with Andrus on Friday night, said two police officers visited his apartment over the weekend and asked about Shahwan.

“They came in and said, 'Do you know about this guy Omar,’ and I said, 'Yes,’” Keever recounted, adding that Shahwan’s family members also stopped by over the weekend to inquire about him.

Before Andrus was arrested, Keever said he saw Shahwan’s state identification card “in Mark’s possession.”​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonecold
Back