CA CA - San Mateo Co., Child Skull UP9597, 5-7, on beach near San Gregorio, Mar'06

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I found the info on the ship wreck place of burial I mentioned in my previous post. These are PTV articles, so I will just copy the google search info here. We should keep this in mind for bones found along the shore in San Mateo County.

San Mateo County Times : Bones continue to surface at...

‎
$2.95 - San Mateo County Times - Jul 30, 2002
After several such incidents, the Coroner and law enforcement officials now know this is just the ongoing exposure of a shipwreck burial ground dating back to ...

discoveries cause nary a worry for police, coroner - <br>...&#8206;
$2.95 -
Oakland Tribune, The - Aug 3, 2002
Sailors from a ship called the Sir John Franklin, and people from other ... the fourth time this has happened," said San Mateo County Coroner Mark Foucrault.

<LI style="PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=g>San Jose Mercury News : BONES WILL REST IN PEACE - <br> &#8230;

&#8206;
$2.95 - San Jose Mercury News - Aug 8, 2002
Every so often, the punishing elements along one southern San Mateo County ... They know that more than a century ago, as many as 40 shipwreck victims and ... time this has happened,'' said San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault.

<LI style="PADDING-TOP: 3px" class=g>&#8230; cemetery of the past along San Mateo shore | Ships, men...

&#8206;
Pay-Per-View - The San Diego Union - Tribune - Sep 1, 2002
The lawmen know that more than a century ago, as many as 40 shipwreck victims ... time this has happened," said San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault.

A little more information on the 'beach cemetery' I mentioned.

Just parking this here for info when bones are found in this general area.

Franklin Point is located in the Año Nuevo State Reserve, San Mateo County, California. It is named after the clipper ship the Sir John Franklin.

The ship was bound for San Francisco and in heavy fog struck rocks off of the point on January 17, 1865. The ship was destroyed, killing the Captain and eleven men. The bodies of only six of the victims were recovered, four seamen and two officers. The seaman were buried on the point; the officers in San Francisco. The Franklin Point site is designated a cemetery on the 1955, U.S.G.S. Franklin Point, 7.5 quadrangle.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=22648

Very interesting article which goes into more detail about how beach erosion has exposed human remains at various times over the years.

We have assumed the coroners office has rule out this small speciman as being ancient remains when they entered the data into NamUs appx 5 years after the remains were found. We assumed between 2006 when the speciman was found and December 2011 when it was entered into NamUs, the coroners office at some point determined these were not ancient remains.

Copied from the following thread:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159265&page=17

Post # 409

DNA Results Are Back: It's Not Anna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had a phone call from the coroner's office. The DNA results on the jawbone fragment have been completed and it is not Anna. The officer said that the specimen belonged to a male child. I am deeply appreciative of the efforts of all those who expedited the analysis. We have been waiting a long time to rule out this finding.

bbm

My 2 cents- the California coast has mythic amounts of popularity with transient/hippie types- my guess is this child belonged to transients, died (somehow) & they opted for a water burial & skipped town (if the skull parts match to the other parts found in 1975.)

The subculture of people who underreport to government agencies/ live off the grid on the West Coast is huge. (The Bundy ranch people are a tiny sliver of representation of that sort of philosophy.)

Hopefully more info will come to light. It is truly sad.

I agree that the other two cases are probably unrelated to the skull fragment. I just found it strange that three torsos (with legs, but no heads or arms) of young males were found in the same area.
I am late in the game here.. but I was just on the san matteo site and was noting the same pattern of a few male headless torsos turning up different years.. Makes me wonder if they are related.. John Doe | Coroner

If these remains are in fact male as was reported by the ME's office to Anna Waters mom 8 years ago, why hasn't the ME's office updated that information?

8 years is a really long time for the ME's office to not update that information, if accurate.

Her DNA in is the system and so are that of these remains so I think that would be an obvious rule out.. These remains are also thought to be male, although mistakes have been made before. It would be interesting to know if these are historical remains or not, but they may be more recent. Genetic genealogy is the only way this will probably ever be solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back