CA-Sandra Cantu Missing/Located from Tracy, #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Letter was probably from an empathetic member of Tracy community trying to give Sandra a voice...I forgive you, I'm in a better place...

My note: That isn't what I would say if I was speaking for Sandra, I'd say "do the right thing and turn yourself in".

Pat Brown: Person was in a hurry, didn't last very long, kids usually killed within the hour, maybe before he had a chance to do anything, had to get her out of the house, person right there in community.

Two press conferences a day, considering the very little new information revealed in the last several, could be taking good reporters away from what the press should actually be doing: investigating aspects of the case on their own. They're supposed to be the public's voice.

I'm sure we're all going to slightly disagree on this issue- I just feel like they are doing the best they can do help keep the public informed, and have issues they want to address to a mass audience (such as please, no more items at memorial). I don't think it does harm. There are plenty of hours in a day for a good investigative reporter to work, and I think the press conferences aren't any more detrimental than chasing down a false lead. I'm sure we're all going to disagree, but I can see why they might be doing it. They might be very close to an arrest, and possibly know this won't be dragging out anymore. Or maybe they're watching the reaction of a suspect through what they're releasing:)

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's harmful.

Criticism of LE that they didn't treat as an abduction.

Pam Bondi: Legally didn't meet Amber Alert, they did a good job, very emotionally invested, they are doing everything they can.

Pat Brown: Police have lots of missing kids that aren't really missing, if you put out an alert every time it would be crying wolf. No one would pay attention to a real alert anymore.

TH: Amber alerts in Calif include a known suspect, vehicle, etc., maybe in first 24 you can say she was lost, after the second day it was clear this wasn't a runaway/missing, she was abducted, why wasn't it changed.

JVM: why didn't they bring dogs in immediately

Pam Bondi: Always second guessing, LE probably thinks what could they have done more.

Don Clark: This was an 8 y/o not a 16 y/o who sometimes comes home on their own...

I agree with one daily briefing and would actually love to see the reporters doing some investigating into this on their own moreso. Did anyone hear them ask him about the williams men? I didn't... (but that doesn't mean much....because I could hardly hear)

Whew. Tornado sirens just sounded here for ten minutes.

I agree with one daily briefing, and for the reporters to get out there and investigate, and not just recycle what TPD tells them twice a day.

Whew. Tornado sirens just sounded here for ten minutes.

I agree with one daily briefing, and for the reporters to get out there and investigate, and not just recycle what TPD tells them twice a day.

o/t yikes, be careful of the tornadoes! Hope you guys are safe:(

I'm sure we're all going to slightly disagree on this issue- I just feel like they are doing the best they can do help keep the public informed, and have issues they want to address to a mass audience (such as please, no more items at memorial). I don't think it does harm. There are plenty of hours in a day for a good investigative reporter to work, and I think the press conferences aren't any more detrimental than chasing down a false lead. I'm sure we're all going to disagree, but I can see why they might be doing it. They might be very close to an arrest, and possibly know this won't be dragging out anymore. Or maybe they're watching the reaction of a suspect through what they're releasing:)

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think it's harmful.

True, and these briefings are mainly covered by TV types anyway, who probably don't do a whole lot of legwork. But info like the memorial could be handled via press releases emailed to the stations, papers, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps TPD feels by showing a visible representative of authority twice a day, they're pressuring their suspects just by Sgt. Sheneman's presence on the screens and monitors.

Me, I enjoy watching them; I look forward to them.

The puppy and I have survived the tornado sirens. Instead of getting into a closet, we went out front and looked for tornadoes. Foolish, I agree.

True, and these briefings are mainly covered by TV types anyway, who probably don't do a whole lot of legwork. But info like the memorial could be handled via press releases emailed to the stations, papers, etc.

On the other hand, perhaps TPD feels by showing a visible representative of authority twice a day, they're pressuring their suspects just by Sgt. Sheneman's presence on the screens and monitors.

Me, I enjoy watching them; I look forward to them.

I definitely see your point:)

I wonder who some of these people are LE originally talked to that gave them information. It seems as if either people were just saying SOMETHING to say it, or trying to mislead LE.

Originally, LE said Sandra may have run away because she had talked about it. To who? or was that someone trying to slow LE down?

Then there was someone who told LE that Sandra's dad had been at the trailer park talking about going to Mexico. But, first of all, her dad hadn't seen her in a year, so why would he be there? or why would they say they saw him there? PLUS, he was actually in town because his daughter was missing and he wanted to help look for her.

I HOPE LE is comparing notes and requestioning anyone who told them about her allegedly saying she wanted to run away or that her dad was in the trailer park.

JMHO
fran

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_12048255

Watney took many questions about Sandra's father and said there was a report from someone who had recently seen him at the trailer park, talking about going to Mexico. He said police have talked to him and can find him if needed.

Tracy police Lt. Jeremy Watney said police have heard that Sandra had talked about running away and are looking into that. He said it would be unusual for a child her age to be gone this long.

I'm not sure why, but I do believe the TPD is all over this and it will be solved ASAP. I don't blame them for not wanting to tip their hand too soon. I think they know what they're doing and sincerely hope they will bring this angel's killer to justice soon.

I think the FBI has been all over it since the body was found ( child kidnapping and murder) and that arrests are imminent.

The FBI is the LE agency which gave us the info that this was a disorganized crime and that there was a lack of high intelligence displayed, also.

I think the FBI has been all over it since the body was found ( child kidnapping and murder) and that arrests are imminent.

The FBI is the LE agency which gave us the info that this was a disorganized crime and that there was a lack of high intelligence displayed, also.

Hi SeekingJana, I wonder if the FBI put this info out there to get the perp riled so he would react in some way that would trap him in his guilt?

Maybe like writing a letter:confused: I know they said the letter has nothing to do with the case, but it was very strange. A cop ios a cop and they lie if they have to to further the investigation.

I had another thought. I think LE has a good handle on the case, but there might be one major thing stopping them from making an arrest.

The weapon. I read somewhere they had not recovered a weapon. We heard one thing, that there was no trauma to the body, and then didn't the Sgt come back after that was out and say they didn't have the autopsy report yet and could not verify that?

Maybe the weapon is needed to tie this person/s directly to the murder as the prosecutor will require it..

I hope the killer didn't loft it into the sludge pond as it might be very difficult to find, eh?

Two press conferences a day, considering the very little new information revealed in the last several, could be taking good reporters away from what the press should actually be doing: investigating aspects of the case on their own. They're supposed to be the public's voice.

As far as I can tell, reporters no longer dig for information or investigate. They wait for someone else to hand them the information. And they repeat it without checking it out. There may still be some that investigate but I think they are few and far between. IMO

As far as I can tell, reporters no longer dig for information or investigate. They wait for someone else to hand them the information. And they repeat it without checking it out. There may still be some that investigate but I think they are few and far between. IMO
Say it ain't so!! :eek: LOL ;)

Public service set for next week for Sandra Cantu

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12114626

Tracy police say the family of Sandra Cantu has set a public service for Thursday at 1:30 p.m. at Tracy's Merrill F. West High School.

The last sentence in that article made me pause:

Sgt. Tony Sheneman says the department has fielded nearly 1,500 tips. He describes the leads as ranging from "psychic information to information that doesn't make a great deal of sense."

I hope that they are on the right track and that they have other leads than that which he describes.

Hi SeekingJana, I wonder if the FBI put this info out there to get the perp riled so he would react in some way that would trap him in his guilt?

Maybe like writing a letter:confused: I know they said the letter has nothing to do with the case, but it was very strange. A cop ios a cop and they lie if they have to to further the investigation.

I had another thought. I think LE has a good handle on the case, but there might be one major thing stopping them from making an arrest.

The weapon. I read somewhere they had not recovered a weapon. We heard one thing, that there was no trauma to the body, and then didn't the Sgt come back after that was out and say they didn't have the autopsy report yet and could not verify that?

Maybe the weapon is needed to tie this person/s directly to the murder as the prosecutor will require it..

I hope the killer didn't loft it into the sludge pond as it might be very difficult to find, eh?

I don't know what physical evidence has been recovered beyond Sandra's remains and the suitcase she was put into.
The suitcase is the block for me. What are the chances that someone actually would put a functional suitcase ( that is, zipper not broken, fabric apparently intact) somewhere close enough to the road or the location of the perp for it to be stolen? It doesn't compute.
Neither does the idea of the suitcase owner using it to dump a body in.
Everyone except extremely mentally disordered killers know better than to use something so identifiable and traceable now. Maybe the suitcase is what led the FBI to issue the statements they have about the characteristics of the killer.

I have also wondered if the FBI may have been baiting someone- rather like what you said. I don't know if they are hoping for an easy confession from a guilty conscience or for a mentally/ emotionally challenged teen or adult to brag about the crime... to say that the planning was meticulous, or that she was held at such and such a place for X amount of time, that sort of thing.. to act in the way that BTK did when he wanted attention. At this point we don't know if this was a sexually sadistic killing, if she was held captive for a period of days, or if she was killed in haste and just dumped. Again, from what little we know, the suitcase is the sticking point for me.

Actually it was not FBI who said that, but rather Joseph Pollini, deputy chair of the law and police science department at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York, who is not related to this case and commenting on what has been publicly disclosed. I should add that he handled the kidnapping and cold-case units during his 33 yrs with the NYPD.

Link to article that quotes Pollini.
http://cbs13.com/local/sandra.cantu.relatives.2.980088.html

I've only seen the profile of a disorganized killer in reference to serial killers. Is that profile applicable to someone that murders but does not match the definition of a serial killer?

Suspicious sighting near Tracy
http://www.kcra.com/news/19146854/detail.html
"SAN JOAQUIN COUNTY, Calif. -- The FBI is investigating a suspicious sighting where the body of 8-year-old Sandra Cantu was found this week.

A Stockton police cadet said he spotted someone parked in the wrong direction on the rural road where her body was discovered inside a piece of luggage. He said the driver was acting very strange."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela