CA CA - Sandra Hughes, 53, Sierra National Forest/Madera Co, 26 Jun 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So it just seems so random to me that she would have an accident in the area close to her camp (if her car was found near the camp, I'll have to look at an article to see how far the crash was compared to her campsite.)

According to this article:
Hughes’ car — a silver Saab 9-5 — was found off a dirt road near the Chiquito Pass trailhead, five miles north of the campsite, according to a Facebook post from her niece.
Woman missing from Sierra campsite south of Yosemite

However this article states:
Sandra Johnsen Hughes’ car, which was found about two miles from her campsite.

Still No Sign of Missing Camper, Search Enters Second Week | Sierra News Online

Could be both if 2 miles in a straight line versus 5 miles following a winding road (though I have no idea if that’s so or simply poor reporting!)

Or it could be someone else. We just don't know. If her documents were scattered at her campsite maybe the person who drove her car got the car from her campsite as well. (The underlined part is correction from post 220 so one can understand my original thought.) I just find it odd that she was alive for one month after the accident (her niece seemed to suggest that her food was left untouched at the campsite.) If she was suffering from hyperthermia then one would think that she would have passed away earlier.

Like the recently found deceased woman at Joshua Tree, someone could have easily found her abandoned car and drove it off themselves, creating a false lead for searchers.
Its interesting that you mention that because there's a couple of deceased women that have had their cars driven under odd circumstances. I would have to look up their names but a couple of them happened to be found this year having gone missing in 2020 in Joshua tree. I just think one can be an accident but when there are a few in the same area it just makes me wonder if something else is going on.

Its interesting that you mention that because there's a couple of deceased women that have had their cars driven under odd circumstances. I would have to look up their names but a couple of them happened to be found this year having gone missing in 2020 in Joshua tree. I just think one can be an accident but when there are a few in the same area it just makes me wonder if something else is going on.
Here's one:
Found Deceased - CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020
Not sure who the other you refer to is.

That’s exactly who I thought of as well. What is going on there?? They really don’t seem related but you never really know
There was an elderly woman (Hispanic I think) whose car was found abandoned. The fact that Erica was going to meet people there but who, her family has no idea. I believe there was another woman who had gone missing from Twenty Nine Palms but she had been dropped off. Too many coincidences IMO. Ok back to Sandra's thread as this is for her.

Sandra Hughes - Disappeared

Published March 20, 2022

Disappearance
June 26, 2020 is the last time Hughes had contact with her family. She had traveled from Maui, Hawaii, to Madera County, California for a solo camping trip near Johnson Meadows in the Sierra National Forest.

On July 2, 2020, Hughes’ camping gear, sleeping bag, and other supplies were found strewn along by hikers near Johnson Meadow.

On July 4, 2020, Hughes was reportedly spotted on foot by hikers in the area. While the woman was described as being barefoot and with a bruise on her face, she declined medical assistance when the witnesses offered help.

On July 5, 2020, Hughes abandoned campsite was found in the Johnson Meadows area, between Beasore and Minarets Roads. Authorities contacted her family after finding identifying documents and personal information among her belongings.

Investigation
On July 5, 2020, Hughes’ car, a silver Saab 9-5, was found off a dirt road near the Chiquito Pass trailhead, about five miles north from her campsite. The car apparently crashed into a tree before it rolled down into a ravine and got stuck.

The personal belongings in her car and campsite were found scattered in a manner described as “disheveled and emptied carelessly”.

On August 9, 2020, Hughes was reportedly spotted by two hunters, leaning against a tree along Forest Road 5S01. The location was about five miles from her abandoned campsite, near Portuguese Overlook on Beasore Road.

The two hunters only realized the woman resembled Sandra Hughes upon seeing her picture on a missing persons flyer after returning from the forest. While she looked noticeably thinner, the woman did not approach them or appear distressed.

Whereabouts
Police found no evidence, means, or motive for foul play in Sandra Hughes’s disappearance. There’s currently no promising leads in her case.

As we head into the fall and many more of us head out into this wilderness area I sincerely hope this is the season we get closure on this baffling case. As a woman who travels in nature myself and a resident of Southern California, this one hit close to home. Ladies and Gents, if you're out in nature alone think about a personal location beacon. I don't get the impression this lady was trying to disappear, but rather suffered a mental or physical incident and has unfortunately succumbed to nature. Tragic.

May 2023 be the year of Sandra’s discovery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back