Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Sherri and her mother aren't very close. Keith's parents/stepdad almost seem closer to Sherri than her own. Or she may still be pretty banged up and feels like her mother wouldn't be able to handle the sight of it. With each new detail revealed, it seems like Sherri went through more hell than we can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree with maybe they were not close as some rumors of her being Missing has healed some family relationships that I can't go into on here but as a mother of 3, I could only imagine that I would have to touch, smell, feel and see that my baby no matter how old was In fact alive. IMO I would just need to confirmation in person.

For the first question, I would say money. As far as phone pings, if they had burner phones, then what good are the pings?
Well the phone pings are useful even if it is a burner phone. One, it shows that it is the same phone in both locations which would allow them to focus on that phone and try to track it down. There are pieces of information that are sent from the phone that help to identify it. One is the phone number, another is the IMSI number and the third ICCID. The IMSI is a globally unique id that identify the subscriber and the ICCID is a globally unique id that identifies the SIM card. Other information would be a globally unique number in the non-removable hardware part of the phone. You could swap SIMs for example, and it wouldn't matter.

With a burner phone it still has to be activated and that has to happen somewhere. If you add pre-paid minutes the card purchased can be tracked to where it was sold, because it too has to be activated before used.

It may still be difficult or even impossible in certain circumstances to track it down to a specific person but it will get you to stores somewhere and where there are stores that sell such things there are cameras or cameras nearby. So generating a good lead is possible and worth the effort.

At the minimum they would be able to learn whether the burner phone was in contact with any other phone and where it was at any time it was powered on as well as any data sent or received by that phone.

Further, if they pursue the burner phone by getting tower dumps from other towers it was connected to they can identify other numbers that were also connected to the same tower at the same time. If they keep finding another phone at various towers they can presume that those phones are travelling together. Of course, if the common phones are all burners it might not pan out. If one of the perpetrators had a burner phone but was frequently near someone with phone that can be traced to an individual they could get right to them.

Given the amount of tracking going on it can be surprisingly difficult to keep a burner phone and its connection to you "clean". You have to not take it near friends or family or even near a free wi-fi spot where there are cameras. You would have to be more than diligent in making sure when and where you ever turn it on.

Indeed, I'm quite familiar with I5 - grew up in WA and lived in CA several times :) Even traveled it at all hours of the night and day during moves & visits to friends and family. WAY less traffic at 4-5 in the morning than at any other time of day. Meaning, way less pings to cross ref with the towers near her abduction site.

I agree -- there would be fewer pings at that time compared to later in the day, certainly! -- but still many, many of them to sort through. Traffic on I-5 is never what one would call light; it is constant.

Respectfully, I'm also very familiar with I-5 and have lived within 10 minutes of it all my life (currently, I live a mile away from it in a small city in Northern WA). My husband and I have pretty much worn our own groove in it over the years on road trips and I've been through (and stayed in) Redding a number of times. :)

So what is LE going to announce at this presser? Thoughts?

I am hoping for a description of the suspects
I am hoping they will inform the public if this was random or not.
Maybe update the public on what they are doing to solve this?

She didn't take them off they were snatched off of her along with a handful of hair.
Well we don't KNOW that. We also didn't know that they buds appeared to be PLACED atop the phone. We really don't know much of anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if they branded her face? Sherri may feel uncomfortable letting others see her. Just one possibility.

I HEAVILY lean away from that possibility for 2 reasons.

1) Keith's words:

“The officers warned me to brace myself. My first sight was my wife in a hospital bed, her face covered in bruises ranging from yellow to black because of repeated beatings, the bridge of her nose broken.

<addresses weight, bruises, chain marks, hair>

&#8220;She has been branded and I could feel the rise of her scabs under my fingers. <addresses thrown from vehicle, etc.>

Visually, when describing seeing her, there is NO mention of a visible facial brand - yet he is specific on multiple other things he sees on her face.

THEN he discusses other injuries, specifics.

THEN he mentions the brand. And it comes in the context of FEELING it under his fingers vs outright stating or even simply inferring he finds it by sight initially.

2) The CHP dispatch info:

So far the visual things they relayed appear to all have been correct and corroborated - restrained, at least in part, with or to something, and heavily battered.

If she had visible burns / etching / or even a tattoo visible on her face that hadn't been there prior, I'm quite confident that we'd have heard that included - even if 'only' in the context of "heavily battered w/ burns or cuts to her face" (as in not using the phrase tattoo or something)

And at that point, not being the primary agency of investigation, and that early on scene, it's not like they'd have been censoring what they were saying quite as much as the Sheriff would be now. Plus for all they knew it was possible it wasn't even SP just someone that looked like her, so something distinctive or fresh on her face would have almost certainly been transmitted.

Nor is CHP an agency (from my experience) one who does extensive "go to cars" / "give me a 10-21 (call)" / "D2" (dispatch 2 which doesn't air on things like Broadcastify) especially immediately on scene, meaning they're not an agency who naturally or by protocol tends to withhold items of potential major significance from the get go on scene.

And it's certainly not uncommon to have rather graphic and/or specific traffic from them early on scene - so again - the absence of any mention of something like burned/cut/carved/deep wounds/tattooing in that early traffic would make me lean away from a visible facial branding being a component.

But really, it's KP's own words themselves that most point away from a facial brand to me.

His specificity otherwise with details regarding facial or immediately visual wounds/changes lead me to believe he'd have either stated that outright - branded on the face or front of her neck - or else at least not referenced in the context of "feeling" the scabs of the brand.

I suspect elsewhere other than face / front of the neck - side or back - of the neck (possibly why they chopped off what seems to be perhaps be 'only' some of her hair - maybe doing so to make it visible) or somewhere likely to have been covered by clothing and/or a hospital gown and possibly blankets

But that's JMO.

Sadly, many are listed as runaway when all we really know is that they are missing. Not just trafficking, but any one of them could've encountered some kind of foul play or tragic accident. Unless they surface and are able to tell of their whereabouts, we'll never know if it was as simple as them running away. JMO

Most of those listed are shown as RunAway.

I'm a bit behind and catching up so not sure if this was addressed.

From the previous thread

Midge

KP found the phone, I presume he did not touch it.

SP may have been tasered, knocked out or had a bag put over her head like when she was let go. She likely did not see the phone being put like it was.

I think it is reasonable the Sheriff is not sure because I think abductors are the only ones who know why it was set like that.
I hate to say, if I was looking for my husband/child/relative and found their phone on the road, I would probably pick it up instinctively therefore contaminating evidence. I admit it.

I'm not sure where you're getting that "she wasn't fully raped" or how relevant that would even be. I've seen nothing indicating whether she was/was not sexually assaulted. IMO, the horrific abuse we do know of is worthy of a little more compassion.

Welp. If she wasn't fully raped. Then the message was probably not sexual assault/Trafficking related.

So maybe it was simply racial degradation related?

Idk.

Most of those listed are shown as RunAway.

And Sherri was previously listed as voluntarily missing. We don't know how many of those people are actually runaways. Tera was murdered and hers still says suspicious circumstances/at risk. I'm going to guess that when they're short of evidence they classify the minor as a runaway. That doesn't mean they actually did run away IMO.

Maybe, but considering her husband mentioned her hair on the buds when he found them, and considering he mentioned her hair was chopped when she was released, I am thinking the hair on the buds was intentionally left with them, not just a product of her being grabbed. Jmo
Her hair is important to him. This is just a guess and has just popped into my head. Perhaps this whole affair was directed at HIM. I have nothing to show for this thought. It just jumped out at me while I was re-reading posts.

Edited to add, as I caught up I see several other brilliant WSers seemed to pick this up as well.[emoji4]

I wish we knew more about what a typical day is like for her. Was she being watched? Did someone know her routine?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What about her own wishes? Cause even a parent willing to disregard Sherri's wishes at this point would be a pretty terrible person IMO.

Exactly. I would want to see my daughter too, more than anything. But if we facetimed, and she said she was exhausted and overwhelmed, and needed to rest and recuperate, then I would understand her wishes. And would be thrilled she was safe and sound.

Sadly, many are listed as runaway when all we really know is that they are missing. Not just trafficking, but any one of them could've encountered some kind of foul play or tragic accident. Unless they surface and are able to tell of their whereabouts, we'll never know if it was as simple as them running away. JMO

Exactly! And remember, Sherri was for a moment listed as "voluntarily missing". Not all of them may be runaways....or maybe they are, or were....but it doesn't mean they weren't a victim of foul play....or 2 hispanic ladies.

Welp. If she wasn't fully raped. Then the message was probably not sexual assault/Trafficking related.

So maybe it was simply racial degradation related?

Idk.

Who said she wasn't raped? The sheriff said he wasn't going to comment on that. That answer alone raises suspicions.

So what is LE going to announce at this presser? Thoughts?

Would be great if it were announced that the suspects are already in custody. I doubt it though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members