Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did she see their eyes? I hope so.

I thought it was just their brows, their hair, and the ears of at least one of them.

If she did see their eyes, then maybe LE will really be able to release a partial facial sketch soon. IIRC, the sheriff mentioned last week that he was hoping to get enough detail to make that happen.

Both had sexual based motives, with men as perpetrators. (Yes, there was a woman, too with E.S.) There's been no indication there was a sexual motive in this case, though.

Neither has there been any indication there WAS NOT a sexual motive. Sheriff has declined to say if she was sexually assaulted and on 20/20 her husband wasn't even asked about it. The fact 20/20 didn't ask the question makes me think they had an agreement ahead of time not to ask. The Sheriff has told us there is "sensitive info" they are holding back. If she had NOT been sexually assaulted, wouldn't they want to make that clear? Or would they just let people wonder? IDK. I don't think we can say one way or the other if she was sexually assaulted or not... JMO.

Ok. To be clear, I never claimed that I was or tried to be. I was just stating something I found curious. I thought that's what we do. I think I'll take a break and come back when the perps are caught.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
The point was that the perpetrators of this brutal crime probably aren't worried about us -- what we think and where we focus our attention. No?

I suspect there's not going to be anything new on this.

That's true and how it usually goes in cases. Until or unless there's something to announce, it will be radio silence from officials. The rest is just people passing rumors or else creating their own story narrative around the event.

Am I allowed to mention a picture I saw on FB which I believe is the fb page of a family member of SP? I just don't know the rules here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few random observations:

1 - I cannot believe this was sex trafficking. Gangs are not stupid. They go after a certain type of female: young, isolated, alone. Girls - sadly - about whom few people care. Gangs do not abduct 34 year old housewives with kids that are active in the community. This is a volume business, and 34 year old housewives will only cause major problems for the gang, and they know it. The idea that a rich, Mexican CEO requested a 34 year old blonde American as his sex slave might work for a cheesy romance novel, but please, this is just not realistic.

2 - Why are these alleged Hispanic women trolling for women on rural backstreets in Redding? It doesn't make any sense, unless she was targeted for some time, and conveniently snatched while out on a jog. But if this were planned in advance, why snatch her? I think she doesn't work, or works only part time. Her husband works for Best Buy. My guess is they are not sitting on piles of cash, probably living paycheck to paycheck, like the vast majority of Americans. So kidnapping for cash also seems farfetched.

3 - Revenge for a previous slight? You don't hold someone for 22 days to extract revenge. And what could this couple have done to warrant this type of revenge? He's on the Geek Squad at Best Buy, did he forget to format a disk, or improperly install a laser printer? Please...

4 - How is it possible that two Hispanic women could snatch her without revealing their faces to her? Did they pull up in a "dark SUV" with their masks on? Why wouldn't they take the phone, quickly disabling it? Or at least take the ear buds. Do criminals typically leave these items behind?

5 - When we look at "who benefits?" from this, we must assume whoever planned this had no idea it would become such a high profile case. CG has clearly benefited, he now has more customers for his business. But at the same time, he has been labelled "shady" by the national press. But my guess is that he had no idea when this began that people would scrutinize his life in so much detail. My guess is he was expecting a bit of publicity, get his name out there, and leverage that for business. Which has happened, but he's starting to lose control of the process, something he surely didn't anticipate in the beginning. And my guess is that there are others who now feel this has gotten out of control, and are looking to cut their losses.

1. I agree. 2. Gang initiation, hate crime, or kidnapping for sexual assault and torture, are all possibilities. 3. I agree. 4. Possibly, and maybe they weren't interested in the phone. 5. I agree.

Am I allowed to mention a picture I saw on FB which I believe is the fb page of a family member of SP? I just don't know the rules here

Best to ask a mod

That little triangle thing at the bottom of the post

I think assuming LE is not interested and is not doing much is unfair. Unless one is privy to the inner workings of the investigation, as one would be if they were also in LE with that jurisdiction, there is no basis to these allegations.

The 'public' can be more of a hindrance than a help in cases, depending on the case. LE is tasked with community safety as a core value -- I would assert this is a core value of all jurisdictions. It might be confusing for the armchair sleuth, but LE does not consider sleuthers to be part of the investigation team, so info will not be shared because there's no reason to do so. The sheriff has gone on record more than once about how to keep yourself safe in general and that remains good advice. Posters have also shared experts' tips and videos on this subject too (how to keep yourself safe).

Finally, not every case gets solved and that's true even among the best of the best investigators in the world.

Really good points. More humility and self-restraint on our part is probably wise. ;)

Strange you posted those cases below because I had thought earlier about them too when trying to think of motives for kidnap. The list is endless.

Possible... Did you know that the "woman in the box" was kidnapped near Redding? A couple (man and woman) kidnapped her and kept her as a sex slave in a box under the bed for years... Now that is the stuff of nightmares :( :( :( :(
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Colleen_Stan

There was a case in England recently where two teenage girls kidnapped a female toddler from a shopping centre, and their Internet searches implied that the motive was sexual.

There was also a case where two women held a man captive and tortured him for sexual gratification.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45238986/...o-women-arrested-satanic-sex-ritual-stabbing/

I can think of several other cases where a women acting alone has kidnapped a female child to sexually abuse them.

I don't think there's anything we know for sure. But the limited info from KP and LE has strongly implied that she was picked up and released by the same individual(s) in the same vehicle.

I don't know about that. When the Sheriff talked about showing Sherri footage of dark SUVs to see if she recognized one, he only mentioned showed her footage from the area she was abducted FROM on the day she was abducted. He didn't mention showing her footage from where she was released. Could it be she never saw the car that dropped her off because of the bag over her head? Has anyone seen anything from LE that specifically describes the car or the person that dropped her off as being the same as the ones who abducted her?

I suspect there's not going to be anything new on this. From what's being reported now, SP and KP took their kids and left Redding for parts unknown.

Given what they're leaving behind, I'm not surprised. The only real question is how long it will take for the bleeping media to screw up their anonymity for them.

I have a feeling they haven't gone far. I mean, how are they living? It must have been difficult even before this happened, with KP being at Best Buy and SP not working. So now either he's not working, or they remain close enough for him to get to his job.

And given the situation, to go too far away would mean leaving behind their entire support system.

Neither has there been any indication there WAS NOT a sexual motive. Sheriff has declined to say if she was sexually assaulted and on 20/20 her husband wasn't even asked about it. The fact 20/20 didn't ask the question makes me think they had an agreement ahead of time not to ask. The Sheriff has told us there is "sensitive info" they are holding back. If she had NOT been sexually assaulted, wouldn't they want to make that clear? Or would they just let people wonder? IDK. I don't think we can say one way or the other if she was sexually assaulted or not... JMO.

Me neither, and I don't think it's any of our business tbh. It makes me cringe when I see people speculating about was she or wasn't she... :(

Really good points. More humility and self-restraint on our part is probably wise. ;)

That and look at oneself in the mirror each day while repeating 3 times, "Despite watching crimes shows at some point, I am not really a secret agent of law enforcement, consulting with them on their cases."

:laughing:

Here's an article on SP and Tera Smith and it also shows high school pictures of SP and KP:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ithout-trace-parents-tell-think-happened.html

I was just reading about that case. It's weird that they would be the same age and share a slight resemblance, and that they disappeared in the same general area while out jogging, but it's hard to imagine Troy Zink isn't responsible for Smiths disappearance. I bet LE took a look at him in the SP case.
I

Me neither, and I don't think it's any of our business tbh. It makes me cringe when I see people speculating about was she or wasn't she... :(

I agree. I think that should be private unless they make arrests and bring charges against the perps--even then charges can be brought without mentioning her by name and we could never know. SP has been humiliated enough. The public doesn't have a right to know if she was raped or not. JMO.

I have a feeling they haven't gone far. I mean, how are they living? It must have been difficult even before this happened, with KP being at Best Buy and SP not working. So now either he's not working, or they remain close enough for him to get to his job.

And given the situation, to go too far away would mean leaving behind their entire support system.

Yeah, but now they've got what, $100,000 in the bank? That should last a while. I know the family put up a $50,000 reward right away, then the raised almost $50,000, then the anonymous <modsnip> put up 6 figures and said SP could have some of it...

I don't know about that. When the Sheriff talked about showing Sherri footage of dark SUVs to see if she recognized one, he only mentioned showed her footage from the area she was abducted FROM on the day she was abducted. He didn't mention showing her footage from where she was released.?

I doubt there could be any useful footage from the release. It was 4:30 in the morning, and most surveillance video doesn't work well in the dark. It was also by an interstate and a rural highway, so video won't be helpful of a vehicle whizzing by in the dark at 75 mph. It was also in an area outside his county.

Nor does he have any idea of the path to the drop-off point because he has no idea where she was being held. But he CAN pinpoint where the abduction occurred, and it's also within his jurisdictional area. So much greater familiarity of the area and routes and points of surveillance footage.

There was some speculation in an earlier thread that the AD was British. Does anyone know where that idea came from? I only bring it up because I feel fairly confident that those letters were written by an American.

I was never able to find where that came from apart from a post on here, on a previous thread during the time the 20/20 interview aired. I know personally myself I read it in an article the following morning, whilst waiting for the thread to reopen. I've looked and looked but cannot find it.

That's true and how it usually goes in cases. Until or unless there's something to announce, it will be radio silence from officials. The rest is just people passing rumors or else creating their own story narrative around the event.

Personally, I like the exchange of ideas and possibilities. Of course, we don't know the answers. But If I just want to know the outcome of something, I'll read about it when the trial is over. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste