Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen that map. With all due respect to the map maker, the pins on that map are obviously not exact locations. County Road 17 is not a specific location. Me and I think others here would like to know the exact location. Because that would help to know what direction the car was traveling when she was pushed out.

Clarification would be great but even SP may not know exactly. It was dark, she had a bag over her head and was disoriented.

I can only work with what we know. Photographic evidence was very scant in the media, I believe limited to video reports from MSM (linked in the map) and I think even they were making an educated guess.

What we have been told my LE/MSM

SP was dropped off close to the intersection of Cty Rd 17 and I5
She walked to a junk yard, but was scared by a dog (not sure if this is confirmed to be accurate)
She then walked to the church, but nobody was there.
Then she walked to I5 where she tried to flag down help
The witness who saw her and pulled over later to call 911, was travelling north on I5. (This would be east side)

Personally I think if all of the above is correct. Considering it was dark, she was disoriented and chained in some way, I don't believe she would have walked too far. I think she was dropped off on the west side on Cty Rd 17, a short distance from the drill yard (junk yard) She then walked to the next building that had lights (the church across over the bridge, that crosses I5) When she found nobody was there she walked to the next logical place, the verge of I5 across the access road.

I believe this is where the evidence marker was. The grass beside the access road, and the north bound lane of I5. (NE side of the intersection)That is why I put the marker where it is.

If any of the above is incorrect pls advise and I can make changes.

Jumping off your information, this isnt the first time there has been a call like that at the same address.
Early October as well.
If these prior calls are from different numbers perhaps the address cited in the report is where the cell tower that handled the call is located and that is the extent of location information 911 received from the cell phone itself.

Thanks, but it doesn't really help. Read the caption.

She was found at County Road 17 and Interstate 5. Well OK, we know that. Here is a picture of County Road 17 looking east towards I-5. So that is a picture somewhere way west of I-5 looking towards where she was found. It's impossible to even see the location she was found in that picture. So it's two totally different locations, and not even close together.

Maybe we need a local to go and take some better pictures of the area? We can only go by what has been revealed and very little has been revealed about where she was pushed out of the car. SP might not even know herself which direction the car drove off. It might have taken her a few minutes to get the bag off her head and then it was dark and she was frantically looking for help.

Maybe we need a local to go and take some better pictures of the area? We can only go by what has been revealed and very little has been revealed about where she was pushed out of the car. SP might not even know herself which direction the car drove off. It might have taken her a few minutes to get the bag off her head and then it was dark and she was frantically looking for help.

There was 1 photo, I think it was the DM. It said "searchers looking for evidence where SP was located" I thought great! I spent a good 2-3 hours driving myself crackers going round and round every road possible in the area, I didn't find any area that looked remotely like it could be the spot, and trust me there is nothing I like to do more than try and locate a specific place from a photo when doing a case map. I love it, like yes! Gotcha! I couldn't find this one. As it turns out it was an error and the photo was from earlier searches along Old Oregon Trail, in the days after SP went missing.

In thinking about whether she was taken to &/or held in an urban area or a rural area, I'm wondering about some things that you may or may not know but might be worth exploring with SP that she could think about and then share with LE.
What she heard or did not hear and maybe smelled or did not smell could be important. Some thoughts:
Did she hear sirens frequently or infrequently?
Did she hear planes &/or helicopters overhead frequently or infrequently?
Could she hear the sound of natural water?
Could she smell any industrial type of odors?

Maybe this line of thinking will trigger others to think of other questions.

Great questions!

If these prior calls are from different numbers perhaps the address cited in the report is where the cell tower that handled the call is located and that is the extent of location information 911 received from the cell phone itself.
I would normally agree with that, except as you can see from the triangulation of the cell towers , not many are close.
There are a couple of phone numbers that belong to people and then there are some that come in on a blank (911) area code and no number.
What's REALLY interesting is one of the most recent incomplete calls to the specific address that is continually given, came from the guardian angels group.

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. We are to sleuth Hispanic women, who may have committed similar violent crimes, correct? Those who meet the description given? Therefore, most likely all Hispanic women, whose names appear on an arrest log or report. Although no one has been named a POI or suspect, right?

No, because it is unlikely that every single Hispanic woman on a police blog was involved in a violent crime.

Here is where you need to use common sense. If on a police blotter two Hispanic women tried to kidnap a female jogger then there you go. That is something to look into.

If 2 female Hispanic women are on the police blog for a violent carjacking where someone got hurt, is it a far leap to think they are capable of kidnapping? I don't think so.

Risky violent behavior is what we are looking for.

If 2 female Hispanic women are caught shop-lifting and it's in a police blotter or mainstream media then absolutely not.

This is very important: ONLY POST THE INITIALS ALONG WITH THE LINK TO THE BLOG OR NEWSPAPER ARTICLE.

ONLY LOCAL MEDIA AND LOCAL POLICE BLOGS FROM THE SURROUNDING AREA. LAKE16 MENTIONS THE CITIES AROUND REDWOOD

DO NOT SLEUTH THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA AND EXPECT TO POST IT ON WEBSLEUTHS. IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.

I wish we had more to go on but this is it. We are not profiling. We are trying to find perps who fit the description we have been given who may have committed other violent crimes leading up to the kidnapping of Sherri.

If all we had to go one was a white woman with red hair then that's who we would look for.

Here is a list of areas surrounding where Sherri was taken. Thank you Lake16

Lake16 said: Thank you for the marvelous question!

What I would like to see happen is a sleuthing of media articles and to the extent they are available, police logs, for the last 12-18 months to see if we can find similar MO's of two female Hispanics attempting to abduct people, or possibly attacking people or some other serious crime. And also if any arrests were made. That information might help identify the perpetrators.

In California I think areas to check might be:
Redding,
Susanville,
Yreka
Eureka,
Red Bluff,
Chico,
Oroville,
Yuba City/Marysville
Woodland
Sacramento

And also Medford, Oregon.

In my opinion that would be more productive than discussing what type of "hose clamps" SP had on (LE already knows), what KP should or should not have done or said (it's been done already and he is not a suspect) or any other number of details which LE already knows the answer to.
Tricia

There was 1 photo, I think it was the DM. It said "searchers looking for evidence where SP was located" I thought great! I spent a good 2-3 hours driving myself crackers going round and round every road possible in the area, I didn't find any area that looked remotely like it could be the spot, and trust me there is nothing I like to do more than try and locate a specific place from a photo when doing a case map. I love it, like yes! Gotcha! I couldn't find this one. As it turns out it was an error and the photo was from earlier searches along Old Oregon Trail, in the days after SP went missing.

That must have been maddening, Skibs. SO I went looking for more pictures and video of the crime scene where she was found. In this video: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-papini-kidnapping-interview-20161202-story.html
Around 1 minute 50 sec there is a brief flash of 4 policemen standing in front of a building that has been taped off with crime scene tape. It is a close up of the building but there is a sign visible with black background and white letters. Can you tell if that building is the church?

ETA: I compared a bit on the map street view and I think that IS the Church taped off which would verify that they thought she went there before the hwy.

One of the news channels from NorCal put up a video with their reporter standing on the overpass giving a complete 360 degree video of the area.

Maybe someone will recall which channel it was and link it.

ETA: Here's the video

[video=youtube;S17usi8unf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17usi8unf0[/video]

No, because it is unlikely that every single Hispanic woman on a police blog was involved in a violent crime.

Here is where you need to use common sense. If on a police blotter two Hispanic women tried to kidnap a female jogger then there you go. That is something to look into.

If 2 female Hispanic women are on the police blog for a violent carjacking where someone got hurt, is it a far leap to think they are capable of kidnapping? I don't think so.

Risky violent behavior is what we are looking for.

If 2 female Hispanic women are caught shop-lifting and it's in a police blotter or mainstream media then absolutely not.

This is very important: ONLY POST THE INITIALS ALONG WITH THE LINK TO THE BLOG OR NEWSPAPER ARTICLE.

ONLY LOCAL MEDIA AND LOCAL POLICE BLOGS FROM THE SURROUNDING AREA. LAKE16 MENTIONS THE CITIES AROUND REDWOOD

DO NOT SLEUTH THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA AND EXPECT TO POST IT ON WEBSLEUTHS. IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.

I wish we had more to go on but this is it. We are not profiling. We are trying to find perps who fit the description we have been given who may have committed other violent crimes leading up to the kidnapping of Sherri.

If all we had to go one was a white woman with red hair then that's who we would look for.

Here is a list of areas surrounding where Sherri was taken. Thank you Lake16

Tricia

Thanks for chiming in, Tricia - agreed, this is not profiling...it's sleuthing based off what we know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is the sleuthing can only be done to those who meet the description and have been arrested for a similar/like crime.
I don't think sleuthing based off a police or msm report is allowed. There has to also have been an arrest.

That said, you're right about the name thing. Since it's arrests only though, I think a physical description and likely a photo would be available for any Hispanic women who were arrested for abducting/kidnapping a stranger from the side of the road.

Great point on the age thing! There's no reason to assume the younger of the two wasn't a minor.

I am so sorry. I didn't make myself clear.

We can use MSM stories or police blotters BUT if you find someone who fits the description and are accused of a violent crime that could be similar to Sherri's case then you can only use their initials and you must link to the report or the MSM article.

Does that make sense?

I'm wondering if all police departments provide online access to their police logs?

Hey awesome WS peeps... It is impossible for me to keep up with this thread lately with all the holiday business happening so I thought I'd just pop in and ask, is there anything new in the last few days that's happened or been uncovered with the case? Thank you in advance!

I'm wondering if all police departments provide online access to their police logs?

It seems that not all police depts. provide access online. I called Red Bluff PD and was told that I'd have to come in and view their logs. :(

If you're looking for Spark notes, I'd hop on our VI's profile and read his/her comments for a summary. Lake16 has been very forthcoming with what can be discussed without jeopardizing the investigation, IMO.

Hey awesome WS peeps... It is impossible for me to keep up with this thread lately with all the holiday business happening so I thought I'd just pop in and ask, is there anything new in the last few days that's happened or been uncovered with the case? Thank you in advance!

Nothing I can think of.

Others??

Lake16, is there a reason(s) these cities have been specifically noted, other than the fact they're surrounding to Redding?

Redding,
Susanville,
Yreka
Eureka,
Red Bluff,
Chico,
Oroville,
Yuba City/Marysville
Woodland
Sacramento

And also Medford, Oregon.

Status