CA CA - Shirley Stevens, 48, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1970

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
K... I sent an email to be verified, but didn't know what "case" meant. Did you want my mother's name or a number?

7394 is the case number I was given when I set her up on NamUs.

Thanks... Penny

The case would be the case name. Your mothers name and that it is a missing persons case.

hth

The case would be the case name. Your mothers name and that it is a missing persons case.

hth

Haaa... slow aren't I? Okay, I think I sent in everything I need to be verified. I plan on being reunited with my mother one day, and we are gonna have a serious chat about her "issues". Good thing I love her.

Thanks again for your help.

Penny

I went to the police station this morning. They offered to come to my house, but I figured they are doing us a favor, so they swabbed my mouth and sent it somewhere. Guess we'll find out if the woman is our mother pretty soon.

Oh... and I looked at the photos of the murdered woman and they did not disturb me. She looks a tiny bit like my mother. My other sister looked at it this morning and she agreed. Neither of us found them disturbing. I'm not so sure I would show the photos to our oldest sister, however, she might find them upsetting. We are all diff.

:) penny

I went to the police station this morning. They offered to come to my house, but I figured they are doing us a favor, so they swabbed my mouth and sent it somewhere. Guess we'll find out if the woman is our mother pretty soon.

Oh... and I looked at the photos of the murdered woman and they did not disturb me. She looks a tiny bit like my mother. My other sister looked at it this morning and she agreed. Neither of us found them disturbing. I'm not so sure I would show the photos to our oldest sister, however, she might find them upsetting. We are all diff.

:) penny

Did they give you any sort of time line on when the results would be in? I know that at times it can take quite awhile before the results come in.

Which case are they comparing your mom to?

Did they give you any sort of time line on when the results would be in? I know that at times it can take quite awhile before the results come in.

I asked her the same question. :D She forgot to ask. I'm trying to remember how long it took when we had a DNA test to confirm that we were related to a man who believed he was my cousin. His mom was adopted and she never wanted to find her biological mother, but he wanted to know. He obtained her name somehow, Googled it, and found my blog. It was a big surprise when we learned my grandmother had given up a baby for adoption. Anyway, I think it took a couple weeks to get the results.

It's the Vernon County case my mom submitted a DNA sample for. I'm in suspense!

I think it's the woman in Wisconsin with the missing hands, and I didn't ask about a time line.

So, what happens if my DNA is a match to the woman in Wisconsin? Will someone call me or Sarah? Will we get something in the mail? Will I find out here?

Also, can we bring her remains home?

Guess I am jumping the gun, but just wondering.

Penny

I don't know how family is notified of a match. I think a call from the detective?

I do know in other cases we have here at WS where family has posted the wait for comparison on DNA can be upwards of 6-8 mo's. I'm sure the detective who took the sample or is handling the case won't mind a call or email on an approximate wait.

Still praying for answers in Shirley's disappearance.

I don't know how family is notified of a match. I think a call from the detective?

I do know in other cases we have here at WS where family has posted the wait for comparison on DNA can be upwards of 6-8 mo's. I'm sure the detective who took the sample or is handling the case won't mind a call or email on an approximate wait.

Still praying for answers in Shirley's disappearance.

Well, we've waited 40+ years and a few more months won't matter, right?

Appreciate the prayers. :)

My brother and I were found abandoned in a hotel on July 30th, 1970 somewhere in the Los Angeles area. We don't know the exact location and the State of California’s Post Adoption Services refused to release the exact location where we were found. We were approximately 4 and 2 ½ years old respectively and placed into the custody of the State.

You can only imagine my immediate interest as I read that Shirley's last known address was a hotel in Long Beach. It got really interesting when I read that she had abandoned five children. My brother and I recently received DNA test results that showed us being half siblings. Did Shirley have more kids? Did she abandon them too? Am I a missing link in this story? The timeline on Shirley's story is a little off what I'd expect, but I have a whole lot of questions for sure.

I'll be messaging Penny and Sarah to find out more information.

The mystery continues...

-Sean Getts (adopted surname)

For the record, I spoke with Penny and Friday and concluded that we are not related due to her mother's age and increasing poor health. It was interesting sharing our stories though.

Sean, I used to live in Long Beach from 1989-1996, then I visit here & there and came officially home in June of 1998 and never went back. I still remember everything in Long Beach, including the Greyhound station that was right across the street to open field, that turned into a parking station in 1997, between the greyhound station and that repair car place, there was a apartment building, which had a long drive way, from on the same side was the Long Beach police and jail, on the same side was the court house, I slept in that cubby hole in front of the court house when I was coming from Oakland, long story short, right across the street from the court house was a bank I believe, across the street down a way there was a World trade center. I don't know if its still there or not. Anyway, Sean I hope you can find your parents one day or at least find a relative.

And as for Shirley I did find some things, I don't know if its her or not. Maybe someone can check into these.

http://insearchofshirleyfrew.blogspot.com/

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/in...n=shirley-e-stevens&pid=154857473#fbLoggedOut

Young, Laura Ann - Genealogy Data
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/.../davis.../dat12.htmlStevens, Shirley E. Birth : --living-- Ky Birth Rec. 076 Cert 37635. Gender: Female Parents: Father: Stevens, Darrell Neil Mother: Martin, Shirley Elizabeth ...

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=26075487

http://www.lacannefuneralhome.com/obituary/99048/Inez-Nichols-of-Windom-Minnesota/

Shirley
http://www.myspace.com/luckyhighroller

Shirley Stevens phone, address, social profiles, news and web ...
radaris.com/p/Shirley/Stevens/Examine a record of every available piece of public logs for Shirley Stevens - compiled by Radaris! ... Information related to a name - Shirley Stevens. Remove info · FAQs. Filter: All ..... I have two boys the old... School: ... Age: 91 years.

Last Page - Shoreline High School Class of 1968
shoreline1968.myevent.com/page.php?groupingID...page...Shirley Stevens (Lewis) ... The old song "It seems like a long time" seems to fit. .... I went to Hawaii, San Antonio, New Jersey (Atlantic City), Maryland, ... I went to Seattle recently to visit my two sons, mom who is 91 years old, and siblings

So, what happens if my DNA is a match to the woman in Wisconsin? Will someone call me or Sarah? Will we get something in the mail? Will I find out here?

Also, can we bring her remains home?

Guess I am jumping the gun, but just wondering.

Penny

Yes they will call you or Sarah if they have your current address or you may get something in the mail. And most likely yes you will get the remains or not sure

Hi there, I was just reading on the doe in Vernon county Wisconsin. Which lead me to this thread. I am sorry to hear about your mom/grandma. I truly hope you find her.
I wonder if she had ever been arrested. Her prints would be on file. With your dna I the system it can be compared to other jane does.
Sad she left her kids behind.
I will have a look to maybe I can help.

From the Doe Network: Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was last seen in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California on November 1, 1970. Her case was closed in 2009 after the validity of the missing persons report was questioned. According to LE, it doesn't appear that anyone with the name of Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was ever missing from the area.

Any explanation for this?

From the Doe Network: Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was last seen in Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California on November 1, 1970. Her case was closed in 2009 after the validity of the missing persons report was questioned. According to LE, it doesn't appear that anyone with the name of Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was ever missing from the area.

Any explanation for this?

I know that her family is still searching for her. I don't care if it "doesn't appear that anyone with the name of Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was ever missing from the area." She's still missing.

But I believe this BS-ish move is on the part of Long Beach PD rather than the folks at DoeNetwork. I don't know why this is. Could it be that her "official" address wasn't on file in any Long Beach records? She was known to drift around and be out-of-contact with her loved ones.

But she's indeed still missing.

Can transients/wanderers (or however you'd term it) without a permanent address that go missing suddenly become "un-missing" because they don't have paperwork proving that they exist?

I know that her family is still searching for her. I don't care if it "doesn't appear that anyone with the name of Shirley Elizabeth Stevens was ever missing from the area." She's still missing.

But I believe this BS-ish move is on the part of Long Beach PD rather than the folks at DoeNetwork. I don't know why this is. Could it be that her "official" address wasn't on file in any Long Beach records? She was known to drift around and be out-of-contact with her loved ones.

But she's indeed still missing.

Can transients/wanderers (or however you'd term it) without a permanent address that go missing suddenly become "un-missing" because they don't have paperwork proving that they exist?

So where does that leave us? Are there dentals or anything that could be used for possible comparison if it came to that?

Can the case be refiled in another district, one where she was known to have been staying?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smcox01
Back