Found Deceased CA - Sophia Mason, 8, reported missing a month later, mom in custody, Merced, 10 Feb 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know where I could find statistics for children murdered in the U.S.?
I'm curious how many in the U.S. are killed by biological Mom or Dad vs boyfriend or girlfriend of parent.
All I can find are stats for parental homicide (filicide).

I recently tried looking this info up because I was on this “I’m going to expose this country’s failure at protecting children” mentality but it seems like only certain states really examine the number yearly. As for a national look, I didn’t find one, but I’m sure one could be out there. No idea the laws on reporting, but I meant to google that as well, because I’d be appalled to learn we don’t demand answers for every single death of a child in this country. I believe no CPS also isn’t an excuse. If a child is murdered or nearly so by a caregiver, then CPS should have known about it. Then the question should become what caused a failure for anyone to report or notice what was going on? Seems like they get lucky just having to take responsibility for ones they were active in. I in no way mean to blame CPS or whatever it’s called in each state because most are notoriously over worked, under staffed, under funded, and burn out is high. It’s insane how little we think to protect the most innocent in this country. All the money we put towards things where actual human lives, little and innocent, aren’t in jeopardy. Rant over!

I found this report from California to be really interesting and telling. It does include a break down of deaths and injuries and perpetrators. Some of it was surprising. It’s a big state, so I think the numbers could represent a general idea throughout the country.

https://www.cdss.ca.gov/portals/9/oab/202005-Final_2015-CF-NF-Annual-Report.pdf

sophia-mason.jpeg

Sophia Mason. Photo credit: Melanie Verlatti
IMG_4893.jpeg

Verlatti said Johnson had a pattern of coming in and out of her daughter’s life, and would take her out of school and move her around to different hotels.

"Her life with her mom wasn’t a good one," said Verlatti. "Her life with her grandmother, my aunt however was really good. She was happy, she was loving she was joyful. She loved going to school, being a little kid.
Sophia Mason's family: 'This could have been totally avoided'

“We also want to express our gratitude to the community for their support and concern for Sophia’s well-being,” stated Hayward police, who are investigating the corporal harm and obstruction case. “This is a trying and stressful moment for Sophia’s family, and we can’t imagine their anguish.”
Who Is Dhante Jackson? Wanted For Murder In Sophia Mason Case - TheRecentTimes

Last edited:
But about a week ago, Johnson called her mother and made a disturbing comment, according to Harris.

"She said, ‘Next time I see you mom, it will just be me and you, like it used to be,’ " Harris said.

Harris said Johnson was jealous of the attention her daughter got from the family.

"She was very, almost jovial and joyous about the fact that she could be with her mother again without having Sophia present," Harris said.

The family believes Johnson, who is mentally ill, was involved in prostitution and moved from hotel to hotel. They say she would sometimes leave her daughter with her mother and disappear for months.

Less than three weeks ago, Sophia spoke with her grandmother on the phone. The normally bubbly girl didn't sound like herself, Harris said.

"She seemed very, very tired, almost drowsy, as if she were drugged," Harris said. "She wasn't able to string together her sentences appropriately, and that raised red flags for my aunt."

The family says they repeatedly contacted Alameda County social services but say they were told little could be done because the girl was with her mother.

Hayward police told KTVU that social workers received at least one complaint last year but that the agency determined it was unfounded. The county agency declined to comment on Monday, saying juvenile records are confidential under state law.
Family believes jealousy played a role in the death of 8-year-old Hayward girl

Mother of 8-year-old found dead in Merced County home charged with murder, abuse | KTLA

Associated Press
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 / 05:33 AM PDT

"Samantha Johnson, 30, and her boyfriend, Dhante Jackson, 34, were charged Monday with murder and child abuse in the death ... Johnson is in custody and Jackson remains at large, the office said. ...

Merced police found Sophia’s body in a bathtub, inside a locked bathroom, according to court documents obtained by the Merced Sun-Star,...

Jackson ... kept Sophia in a shed outside the Merced house and the child was subjected to physical and sexual abuse by Jackson. ..."

Mother of 8-year-old found dead in Merced County home charged with murder, abuse | KTLA

Associated Press

"Samantha Johnson, 30, and her boyfriend, Dhante Jackson, 34, were charged Monday with murder and child abuse in the death ... Johnson is in custody and Jackson remains at large, the office said. ...

Merced police found Sophia’s body in a bathtub, inside a locked bathroom, according to court documents obtained by the Merced Sun-Star,...

Jackson ... kept Sophia in a shed outside the Merced house and the child was subjected to physical and sexual abuse by Jackson. ..."
So in other words "it wasn't me, it was him" defense. Sad thing is, it might work. She could be offered a deal if she testifies against him. I really hope not but seen it happen too many times.

Another reason hospitals should take DNA for a database when children are born. :-(
EXACTLY. :mad:
We have seen too many cases on here where mum ignores the abuse and violence just to hold on to her man. Some women even use their babies as lures for their pedophile boyfriends.

If she walks away from this in exchange for her testimony, she can just get pregnant again and the ugly viciousness starts anew.

Johnson told a Merced police detective that Jackson, her boyfriend, had kept Sophia in a shed outside the Merced house and that the child was subjected to physical and sexual abuse by Jackson. The documents indicate detectives located evidence that abuse happened, the newspaper reported.
Yet another mother who basically placed her own child into sexual servitude to keep a "man". May Dhante Jackson be taken into custody, charged to the fullest extent, be sentenced to rot both on earth and beyond.

Mom gave them this info. Probably claiming to be in fear of him blah blah blah. Bottom line, she knew. she knew what he was doing and she allowed it, facilitated it.

I'm so sorry lil one. :(

MERCED, Calif. (KRON) — The Merced Police Department is offering a $3,000 reward for the man suspected of killing his girlfriend’s 8-year-old daughter, Sophia Mason.

Homicide detectives around the Bay Area and Merced County are continuing to search for 34-year-old Dhante Jackson.

Jackson is described as 5’11”, approximately 220 pounds, with black hair, and brown eyes.

He has been on the run after investigators found the 8-year-old girl’s body inside his Merced home on March 11.
$3,000 reward offered for information on suspect in Sophia Mason’s death | KRON4
“Samantha called (the grandmother) and said, ‘I’m going to come visit you today or tomorrow and this time I won’t have (Sophia) with me. It will just be me and you, like it used to be.” Johnson’s cousin, Melissa Harris, told KRON4.

Alarmed, the grandmother asked, “Where is Sophia going to be? What did you do with her?” Harris said.

“Samantha said, ‘I got rid of her. I was tired of her,'” according to Harris.
[snip]
“(Johnson) was involved in illegal activities, she had been known to go in and out of prostitution. We did not know who Sophia’s biological father was, even to this very day,” Harris said.
[snip]
“The only thing that she said was that she had a new boyfriend, Dhante Jackson, and that he wanted to meet Sophia. This guy specifically asked for Sophia,” Harris said.
Mom made chilling call days before daughter found dead | KRON4
I'll just bet he did :mad:

Prayers for grandma.

Associated Press

ghastly....

Inside the bathroom of the modest two-story home in north Merced, a tiny, 55-pound body lay decomposing in a tub. The roaring exhaust fan and burned incense failed to mask the putrid smell.

In the backyard, soiled sheets, candy wrappers, and other food packaging littered a locked metal shed – used for punishment, police were later told. The outline of a small handprint blemished a dusty brown nightstand inside.

This is how police found Sophia Mason, an eight-year-old Hayward girl who had lived through so much cruelty in the months before her death but never received the protection she needed from Alameda County’s Department of Children and Family Services. Now, a three-month investigation by the Bay Area News Group is raising critical concerns about the county agency that left Sophia under the care of a mother who had a history of mental illness and neglecting her, until she died.

“It was probably the most disturbing thing I’ve seen in my career,” said Merced police Sgt. Kalvin Haygood of the scene he encountered March 11. “I just can’t begin to imagine what that child went through.

“If Alameda County is actually giving you all of the records that they’re required to, it means no social worker wrote down what they saw and no social worker or supervisor ever got to take a look at what they did,” said Ed Howard, senior counsel with the University of San Diego School of Law Children’s Advocacy Institute, who co-wrote the law mandating disclosure in child death cases, SB 39.

“And that would be horrifying if that was common practice in Alameda County.”

Inside the bathroom of the modest two-story home in north Merced, a tiny, 55-pound body lay decomposing in a tub. The roaring exhaust fan and burned incense failed to mask the putrid smell.

In the backyard, soiled sheets, candy wrappers, and other food packaging littered a locked metal shed – used for punishment, police were later told. The outline of a small handprint blemished a dusty brown nightstand inside.

This is how police found Sophia Mason, an eight-year-old Hayward girl who had lived through so much cruelty in the months before her death but never received the protection she needed from Alameda County’s Department of Children and Family Services. Now, a three-month investigation by the Bay Area News Group is raising critical concerns about the county agency that left Sophia under the care of a mother who had a history of mental illness and neglecting her, until she died.

“It was probably the most disturbing thing I’ve seen in my career,” said Merced police Sgt. Kalvin Haygood of the scene he encountered March 11. “I just can’t begin to imagine what that child went through.

“If Alameda County is actually giving you all of the records that they’re required to, it means no social worker wrote down what they saw and no social worker or supervisor ever got to take a look at what they did,” said Ed Howard, senior counsel with the University of San Diego School of Law Children’s Advocacy Institute, who co-wrote the law mandating disclosure in child death cases, SB 39.

“And that would be horrifying if that was common practice in Alameda County.”
paywall

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08