CA CA - Speed Freak Killers (Shermantine talks; Herzog commits suicide)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How did they all get away with this for so long? And now there's a 3rd person? Between the 3 of them who knows how many victims they have. Were any of these guys out of CA at all?

So is he saying that he - Shermatine - or the Herzog warned Jason Jones to leave? What a sad tale. How in the WORLD did these guys get way with murder for so long??
The article said '...before any more sites are excavated' so it must've been Shermantine because Herzog committed suicide when he found out Shermantine was going to tell LE where to excavate.

Shermantine is writing to a few different media outlets. I don't know if this has already been posted. Here's a 3 page letter dated 3/1/12 saying Herzog also took people from Modesto, CA.

He said he helped Herzog bury Chevy, then the next night Herzog came home with another victim in the trunk of Shermantine's car. He also says Herzog killed the hunter in Utah but admits he was in UT, too. Never admits his part in killing any of these people. He makes me gag.

http://documents.latimes.com/speed-freak-killer-claims-there-third-suspect///

He now claims they killed more than 70 people.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/03/speed-freak-killers.html

Convicted killer Wesley Shermantine sent a letter to Sacramento's Fox 40 station a day earlier saying he and his boyhood friend Loren Herzog had trained a third man to prey on young women and drifters during a 15-year crime rampage by the so-called Speed Freak Killers.

Shermantine, 46, was convicted and sentenced to death for killing four people between 1984 and 1999. In his letter to the CBS affiliate, he said the number of the Speed Freak Killers' victims was 72.

70 or more sounds like it is probably right for these two. They started killing when they were fairly young, they were at it for 15 years and they were never arrested. So I kinda figured the number would be high.

One thing I don't understand is that they were suspects in some cases. And known to be using meth. If LE couldn't make a case on the murders, why didn't they go after them on the drug abuse issues? Even if they were never arrested for the murders, at least prison for the drug abuse would have kept them out of circulation for a while. And could have possibly split them up and broke the dyanamic the two were under.

It does kind of surprise me that they were meth users. If they were heavy users I would have expected that they would have gotten sloppier in time and allowed them to be arrested sooner.

70 or more sounds like it is probably right for these two. They started killing when they were fairly young, they were at it for 15 years and they were never arrested. So I kinda figured the number would be high.

One thing I don't understand is that they were suspects in some cases. And known to be using meth. If LE couldn't make a case on the murders, why didn't they go after them on the drug abuse issues? Even if they were never arrested for the murders, at least prison for the drug abuse would have kept them out of circulation for a while. And could have possibly split them up and broke the dyanamic the two were under.

It does kind of surprise me that they were meth users. If they were heavy users I would have expected that they would have gotten sloppier in time and allowed them to be arrested sooner.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

How did they all get away with this for so long? And now there's a 3rd person? Between the 3 of them who knows how many victims they have. Were any of these guys out of CA at all?

Is there really a third person or did Shermantine make him up to defer guilt or to explain killings where Herzog couldn't have acted alone?

Is there really a third person or did Shermantine make him up to defer guilt or to explain killings where Herzog couldn't have acted alone?

Shermantine claims theirs a third person named "Jason"-he says he wrote a letter to him telling him to leave the country before they dig up more graves. Unless they bring this person to light who knows. M gut feeling is, there is another person.

From what I have read "Jason" is a real person. According to his family he is getting a Lawyer to sue one TV station for posting his full name.

This whole thing is very interesting!

Now those questions are being answered by criminalists at a state lab in Richmond, Calif., using a blend of art and the latest science.

Huddled over what looks like a sturdy, plastic safe, a criminalist dressed in a white lab coat and plastic gloves fills a box with a steady jet of liquid nitrogen before carefully placing a sealed, clear vial within.
http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_a8cec98c-ec0c-5773-aea9-7f352cd49336.html

In can't believe there isn't more going on to search for more victims. Familys want and need answers. Hopefully the search will continue soon!

In his latest death row letter, convicted serial killer Wesley Shermantine gave a new name of a possible murder victim, "Hippie Pat," a man buried in a remote Calaveras County well.

snip....In this latest letter to Padilla, who is paying Shermantine for the information, the convicted killer said there are pits worth looking into. He named sites near Farmington, French Camp, Merced, Milton, Modesto, Oakdale, Patterson, Sacramento, Stockton and Tracy.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120324/A_NEWS02/203240319/-1/NEWSMAP

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/shermantine-writes-more-letters-from-death-row/

You know I am beginning to believe that for Shermantine, he is starting to like the publicity and the attention. Maybe life was boring in prison, and this is not only allowing him to relive (in his mind) their crimes, but he is getting off on the attention. I think it is that more than the money that is motivating him.

In his latest death row letter, convicted serial killer Wesley Shermantine gave a new name of a possible murder victim, "Hippie Pat," a man buried in a remote Calaveras County well.

snip....In this latest letter to Padilla, who is paying Shermantine for the information, the convicted killer said there are pits worth looking into. He named sites near Farmington, French Camp, Merced, Milton, Modesto, Oakdale, Patterson, Sacramento, Stockton and Tracy.
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120324/A_NEWS02/203240319/-1/NEWSMAP

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/03/23/shermantine-writes-more-letters-from-death-row/

You know I am beginning to believe that for Shermantine, he is starting to like the publicity and the attention. Maybe life was boring in prison, and this is not only allowing him to relive (in his mind) their crimes, but he is getting off on the attention. I think it is that more than the money that is motivating him.

I believe we should be able to torture the rest of the truth out of him..who knows how many people they really killed. They killed at will whenever and whomever they wanted. They murdered people they knew and total strangers.

These two (or three) were dangerous to everyone. I drove thru Linden the other day and nothing at all is going on. At least openly.

They better not be giving up. between all of them, who knows how many they killed. I think well over fifty-seventy. Think of all the families who will never get closure if this search discontinues.

They better not be giving up. between all of them, who knows how many they killed. I think well over fifty-seventy. Think of all the families who will never get closure if this search discontinues.

I agree, I think its time to start putting a little presure on the local police Department, Sheriff's Office and the FBI. Familys need to know, and the digging should have already happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shawnlo5869
Back