CA CA - Stacy Arras, 14, Yosemite National Park, 17 Jul 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How does anyone know such files exist?

A few years ago, I read a book written by a retired National Park Ranger that researched the history of the National Parks and the records of all the people who went missing or were killed. It was very interesting and its often the same situations that repeat themselves over and over again. People get lost in the same ways, for the same reasons, some from taking the same risks. People who go off trail and get lost always make the same mistakes, too. The tend to keep turning to the right, which makes them go in circles.

For instance, I have a relative who has worked in SAR for many years in a region that has both mountains and desert. He says the same thing. Inexperienced people who don't pay attention, don't read signs or go off trail.
Here's the story of a woman who hiked the Appalachian Trail who went off trail to go to relieve herself and got lost. She camped for weeks while she slowly starved to death, just a short distance from the trail she couldn't find.

Geraldine Largay’s Wrong Turn: Death on the Appalachian Trail (Published 2016)

She was afraid of being alone and prone to anxiety, a diminutive 66-year-old woman with a poor sense of direction, hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself, who wandered into terrain so wild, it is used for military training. She waited nearly a month in the Maine woods for help that never came.

Geraldine A. Largay chronicled her journey in a black-covered notebook that summer of 2013, and she kept writing after she lost her way, even as her food supply dwindled along with her hopes of being found. Her last entry reflected a strikingly graceful acceptance of what was coming.

“When you find my body, please call my husband George and my daughter Kerry,” she wrote. “It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead and where you found me — no matter how many years from now.”

It would be two years before a logging company surveyor stumbled upon her campsite and remains, solving a mystery that had tormented her family and defied teams of experienced searchers. Ms. Largay, a retired nurse from Tennessee, had survived nearly a month on her own — longer than many old backwoods hands thought possible — before dying of exposure and starvation.

The author of the book mentioned above noted that when he did his research, he wasn't too surprised to find that, especially in early days, there weren't many records about disappearances and accidents in the National Park. Park rangers aren't paper pushers. They don't do a lot of record keeping, just basic information. Today, they probably keep more info, thanks to computers, but many are still in very remote areas without electricity or computers. That's the way the park rangers like it - they want the parks to be unspoiled nature. They don't want to install electricity and phone chargers and wifi for everyone at Sunrise High Sierra Camp.

I listened to some of those 411 podcasts several years ago and found them unbelievable, no offense. It's easy for people to think that stuff is true if they've never spent much time out in the woods or at a national park.

I know its impossible to discuss things with people who believe in conspiracy theories, so I'll let the discussion end here.

I respect your opinion, please respect mine.

I'm sure someone has asked this, but which lake did she walk towards and how deep was it? Not to get too far into nature's conspiracies, but could she have fallen in the water and gotten snagged on brush below while exploring or eaten by something? In the south, gigantic catfish and alligators could both be culprits, but I'm not familiar with Yosemite wildlife... maybe water snakes?

Conversely, could she have stumbled into quicksand along the lake's edge? I know Zion has had some quicksand incidents but I don't know if Yosemite has it.

Are there glaciers at the higher elevations in Yosemite? (I know I've seen snow there in July at higher elevations, still melting, but I don't recall whether there are any permanent glaciers.

Thanks. With melting glaciers (and even with seasonal snowfall), you can sometimes have cavities beneath the surface, which can collapse, trapping a person.

It's probably a longshot, but if Stacy became lost and tried to climb to a higher elevation for a better view, it could've happened.

Steep slopes with loose rocks are also a huge problem in the mountains. It's easy for a person to lose his or her footing and tumble a very long way.

Thanks. With melting glaciers (and even with seasonal snowfall), you can sometimes have cavities beneath the surface, which can collapse, trapping a person.

It's probably a longshot, but if Stacy became lost and tried to climb to a higher elevation for a better view, it could've happened.

Steep slopes with loose rocks are also a huge problem in the mountains. It's easy for a person to lose his or her footing and tumble a very long way.

I've read remains are sometimes found at much higher elevations than where the missing person was hiking or last seen.

Stacy Ann Arras – The Charley Project

Last updated August 18, 2021; age-progression added.

• arras_stacy_ap.jpg
Stacy, circa 1981; Age-progression to age 54

It would be great if someone could pinpoint the location where Stacy went missing. Perhaps visit the spot and take some footage to give us an idea of the terrain? As far as I'm aware, we've never seen where she vanished. I admit this might be difficult now, as how would they obtain this info?

It would be great if someone could pinpoint the location where Stacy went missing. Perhaps visit the spot and take some footage to give us an idea of the terrain? As far as I'm aware, we've never seen where she vanished. I admit this might be difficult now, as how would they obtain this info?

A few posts back, I posted a video taken by some hikers who recorded themselves hiking through the area. Some of the video is in the camp where they stopped. Other video shows them hiking the trail from there to the lake and around it.

There are also some very good links and documents in previous posts that show the area, locations searched, etc.

Many of the details about her disappearance and search have been mis-reported on various web sites, podcasts, etc. so proceed with caution.

CA - Stacy Arras, 14, Yosemite National Park, 17 Jul 1981

Here's a good post that also summarizes the risks in hiking in remote areas. In the area where Stacy went missing, the trails are probably not easy to see, especially in the high rocky areas.

CA - Stacy Arras, 14, Yosemite National Park, 17 Jul 1981

The link on that page goes to a blog type post. Towards the bottom of that post, it quotes a member on Reddit who stated some of the reasons she probably got lost. The versions of her story often found on social media are usually inaccurate.

Some of the news stories had mistakes. Reporters got their info from LE spokespersons who were not at the site and knew little about the area.

Some who don't understand dont fully appreciate how far Sunrise Lake is from any road or civilization. Its extremely mountainous. Theres nothing but dirt trails for miles and miles. No electricity, phones, lights. Nothing. Very few signs marking trails.

Wandering off trail is very dangerous if you dont have a map and compass and know how to use them.

If distracted by taking photos, she probably didn't realize she was lost until she wandered pretty far. Once she realized she was lost, she probably continued to wander farther away. By the time others noticed she was missing and went to look for her, she probably was so far away she couldnt hear them.

Take time to go back and read this thread. You'll find a lot of good info that debunks some of the myths.

Welcome to Websleuths!

There are plenty of people who have gone missing in the wilderness and their cases are accepted for what they are. They attract no interest from the True Crime community. Because Stacy was a young, attractive girl, people want to link her disappearance with serial killers, sexual predators or human traffickers. Her story is a tragic warning of the danger of getting lost in the wilderness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
permanentvacation
Back