Found Deceased CA - Stephen Pease, 57, Fort Bragg, 28 Oct 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing Roseville restaurant owner was behind on loan

Maudru said Pease had at least five businesses and plenty of assets, including his home, which was recently placed on the market, and a $70,000 Rolls Royce still in the garage.

“Being late on a payment of that amount is not insurmountable,” Maudru said. “Whatever stress was there, it was not financial.”

Pease spoke of “clearing his head” when he phoned his ex-wife from Las Vegas on Oct. 28.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/18/5923562/roseville-restaurant-with-missing.html#storylink=cpy

I'm one of the reporters covering this story. I also wrote about Susan Jacobson, who is still missing. If you prefer to keep this space clear of the "main stream media" I'm happy to delete my profile. But its obvious you're careful readers looking to interpret what information that is out there. In the future, I may be able to clarify things I can't put in the newspaper.

welcome! yes, here is a link to our verification process

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

The search for Pease continues to be unsuccessful. As noted in stories, friends of his emailed missing signs to business in the Fort Bragg area, hired a private investigator and did some back roads searching.
One question posted on this board was whether it's possible someone other that Pease went to Fort Bragg using his identity. To that point, I spoke to their police chief Tuesday.
“There wasn’t like a video,” said Chief Scott Mayberry. “Nobody from the police department went back with a photo line up. I don’t know that Roseville did that. It could be identity that theft or it could not be.”
This proves nothing. I'm not sure its enough to publish, but it says that there is no real evidence he ever left Las Vegas. I don't have the ability to check flight records. I suspect there would be video from the rental car agency in Portland, but again I can't compel them to share that.

I doubt identity theft because SP was in contact with friends/family until the 28th, roughly a week after the second loan payment was due & missed. Did his friends notice any change in behavior from late September til now? Did his ex know of any distractions? Was he known to use rental cars for road trips or would that be unusual for him? Was he paid cash for the Jaguar he sold? Why was he selling his house and was it something that just came out of the blue or had he talked about it with friends beforehand? I hope you get some answers from people he knows.
Thanks for posting! Even though flyers are being posted it doesn't seem like anyone is saying much.

Identity theft doesn't fit to me. Why would someone take the identity of someone to rent a car and stay at a motel in Fort Bragg but not do anything else? Usually they go on shopping sprees and then stop using the stolen identity when the credit runs out. Identity thieves don't need their victims to disappear in order to get the benefit of using their credit.

Would a killer use Steve's identity to rent a car and stay in a motel? It doesn't seem likely to me. I think that the reason Steve's friends are looking around the Fort Bragg area is because they feel he may be found there. It's also possible that he traveled a great distance from there and he could be almost anywhere. But it makes sense to start where he was last seen.

Steve's friend Chris Maudru say's that financial issues should not have been a stress factor. He left open other causes of stress that may be a factor in Steve's disappearance. Steve saying that he needed to "clear his head" before he disappeared tells us that he wanted to get away for some reason.

Hopefully he's somewhere right now figuring out what he needs to do and will be back with his friends and family soon.

Identity theft doesn't fit to me. Why would someone take the identity of someone to rent a car and stay at a motel in Fort Bragg but not do anything else? Usually they go on shopping sprees and then stop using the stolen identity when the credit runs out. Identity thieves don't need their victims to disappear in order to get the benefit of using their credit.

Respectfully snipped my me

According to some of the MSM reports, his identity left a trail traced to Vancouver.. Somebody certainly could have stolen his identity to use to get out of the country. Stolen identities are not always about shopping sprees. I know might be far-fetched, but we have seen stranger things here on WS.

NewsFletch, Welcome! Thanks for joining to contribute to the discussion. What are the working theories from his friends, family and other locals? There are so many potential things that could have happened or could be going on.

According to some of the MSM reports, his identity left a trail traced to Vancouver.. Somebody certainly could have stolen his identity to use to get out of the country. Stolen identities are not always about shopping sprees. I know might be far-fetched, but we have seen stranger things here on WS.

NewsFletch, Welcome! Thanks for joining to contribute to the discussion. What are the working theories from his friends, family and other locals? There are so many potential things that could have happened or could be going on.

I guess I missed the fact that that Steve's "identity" was traced to Vancouver. I saw an early report that said he may have been headed to Vancouver. After his friends focused on Ft Bragg I didn't give Vancouver much thought.

Is it easy to use stolen personnel information as used in identity theft to quickly generate the kind of ID needed to travel out of the country? I thought that you need a passport. That's not easy to forge is it? And why disappear the identify theft victim? Isn't there ways of getting a false ID without killing another person and stealing their identity?

I guess I missed the fact that that Steve's "identity" was traced to Vancouver. I saw an early report that said he may have been headed to Vancouver. After his friends focused on Ft Bragg I didn't give Vancouver much thought.

Is it easy to use stolen personnel information as used in identity theft to quickly generate the kind of ID needed to travel out of the country? I thought that you need a passport. That's not easy to forge is it? And why disappear the identify theft victim? Isn't there ways of getting a false ID without killing another person and stealing their identity?

Great questions! I don't have answers, but I think fake passports are still pretty easy to get, at least ones that are strong enough to pass the US/Canadian border. The thought that the identity thief might have killed Steve never crossed my mind. I am thinking more of an accident or suicide and somebody came across his identity and decided to exploit it. Or even a kidnapping and blackmail situation, with his identity being used to leave the country, to throw off the trail. I admit, I might watch too many movies and read here on WS way too much.

I would love to hear some theories from the locals that have recently joined the conversation.

Great questions! I don't have answers, but I think fake passports are still pretty easy to get, at least ones that are strong enough to pass the US/Canadian border. The thought that the identity thief might have killed Steve never crossed my mind. I am thinking more of an accident or suicide and somebody came across his identity and decided to exploit it. Or even a kidnapping and blackmail situation, with his identity being used to leave the country, to throw off the trail. I admit, I might watch too many movies and read here on WS way too much.

I would love to hear some theories from the locals that have recently joined the conversation.

BBM

How about my hope that Steve's out there somewhere "clearing his mind" and he may come back when he's got it figured out? That's a possibility right?

What about the car?
Was this an accident, a suicide, a murder?

There are still a ton of questions, for sure.

Roseville Restaurant Owner Found Dead, Friend Says; Had Been Missing for Over 3 Weeks

Recreational divers swimming in the Pacific Ocean near the shore by Gualala Saturday afternoon found a body floating in the water, according to a Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office press release. While the coroner’s office hasn’t officially released the identification of the body, Maudru says it is that of Pease.

Read more: http://fox40.com/2013/11/26/missing-roseville-restaurant-owner-found-dead-friend-says/#ixzz2lrA1YjV7

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamSoup
Back