CA - Steven Stayner & Timothy White abducted by Kenneth Parnell

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was reading wikipedia after seeing this thread. I didn't realize that Timmy White also passed away this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stayner

"Timmy White later became a Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department Deputy. He died on April 1, 2010 of a pulmonary embolism. Mr. White, aged 35, is survived by his wife, Dena, and two young children, as well as his mother, father and sister."

Such a tragic story all around.
So sad that neither Timmy or Steven got to enjoy a long happy life here on earth. :cry: The statue is a beautiful tribute to Steven.

I just posted this on my message board under missing kids news. I also blogged about it. I am so pleased to see it. The statue is beautiful. It was bitter-sweet to his daughter there knowing she never had a chance to get to know him. On Timmy's death I believe we a thread on that somewhere here.

it's great that they made a memorial to him. that whole story is so tragic, both with steven and then cary and then what happened to timothy.

but the discussion about names. stayner is probably a popular name and it got me thinking about really evil people in the world, like hitler. you don't EVER see anyone with that name do you? i wonder about that sometimes. if people still have that name at all or if they changed it.

I disagree. Steven Stayner was not his brother and deserved the statue for what he did. It is not his fault that his brother has the same last name. I think it was a bit silly to suggest that the name Stayner shouldn't be associated with the statue. The statue had nothing to do with Cary.

I agree with you. This has NOTHING to do with Cary Stayner. It's all about Steven and Timmy and the hope they bring for missing children everywhere.

To try and turn this around to the monster is a sad and vengeful thing to do.

So glad that the community erected the statue, and bless all of the families involved.

An article, in the Merced Sun Star, about the brother of Steven Stayner......

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/09/28/1587276/lengthy-wait-on-death-row.html

I worked as a volunteer for the John Walsh foundation before it became the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children as a matter of fact it was one of my first jobs. John worked very hard to get laws passed to have sex offenders registered. I remember when Steven went missing and then was found he was a lost soul forever. That creep messed him up so bad. Every time people go to the statue I hope they remember what Steven went through to save that child and himself and maybe help save many more children, with allowing his story to come forward. There are thousands of Children, teens and adults still missing and we need your help. Please take a look a the link below every so often and see if you recognized someone from your state. Hardly anyone including LE have a lot of time to dedicate to teens and adults, so the families really need your help. Thanks.

I took a look at the link. Only took 10 minutes of my time, so everyone should check out their state. I was shocked there were 4 missing from my town, one of them I knew about, I know many of her relatives because I used to be a jail nurse, and sorry to say her relatives were quite often in and out of jail.
Some of them are old enough to be runaways or old enough to just leave on their own, I know if I were a parent and the police suggested that I would be irate, but it does happen. When I lived in Daytona Beach in 1978 I knew several runaways. Some had legitimate jobs, others were prostituting themselves for rent. It was sad. Most told horror stories of their home life but who knows what was true?
I used to work w/ a girl who had a crack/meth whatever addicted sister that had 3 kids her mother was raising. This girls sister disappeared and came back whenever she wanted, she could be gone for months, then come back for a few weeks. Anyway one night the sister with whom I worked said they were worried about her because it had been quite awhile since she came home and she apparently had been gone during some important family event she never missed no matter how drugged up she was. About a week later her body was found in some obscure alley in Baltimore, she had been dead for awhile and was identified by a tattoo she had on her shoulder. There were no dental records. It was never determined if she was killed or die of an overdose. Very sad.

abbie

Beautiful 'Thank You' written by Mrs. Kay Stayner, appearing in the Merced Sun Star Newspaper-

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2010/09/21/1578100/kay-stayner-thanks-to-all.html

There is a very nice video of Steven Stayner Jr. and his wife on you tube at the following link. God bless them and the entire family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_AuE1MytY

I was reading wikipedia after seeing this thread. I didn't realize that Timmy White also passed away this year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stayner

"Timmy White later became a Los Angeles County Sheriffs Department Deputy. He died on April 1, 2010 of a pulmonary embolism. Mr. White, aged 35, is survived by his wife, Dena, and two young children, as well as his mother, father and sister."

Such a tragic story all around.

If my memory serves me correctly I think Steven was married with two children too. How old was Steven when he died in that accident? Broke my heart when he died too after all that boy had been through. Life really isn't fair at times and this was one of them for both young men. Makes me ask "why?"

A Letter written by Victoria Caton, who is the sister-in-law of Carole Sund, and the aunt of Julie Sund, published in the Modesto Bee...

http://www.modbee.com/2010/09/06/1326816/stayners-one-hero-one-murderer.html

I understand this woman's pain but I think she was wrong to even write that letter. This tribute was to Steven. It had nothing to do with his brother. They were seperate people. And Steven's name should be associated with missing children. He was missing for years. It took courage for Steven to grab Timmy and leave when that creep left for work. Bless his heart for not wanting the same thing to happen to Timmy that happened to him.

Steven and his brother are not the same people and Steven was not in any way responsible for what his brother did. I think it is a shame that the lady
couldn't seperate the two. Steven was a hero in my eyes and always will be. I'm glad that the statue in his image with little Timmy is in the park and dedicated to missing children. The rest of Steven's family aren't responsible for what Kary did either. They were victims twice and didn't ask for either thing to happen. They haven't had an easy life. How they have survived is beyond me.

I hope and pray for nothing but good things in life for all families involved.

Friday night there will be an episode of 20/20 on this case. I often go to Yosemite National Park

I thought I would bump this thread as there is a new series about both the Steven Stayner case and the Cary Stayner case premiering on April 21st, 2022 (next Thursday) which oddly is the nineteenth anniversary of Amanda Berry’s abduction in 2003!

The series looks pretty good and is premiering on Hulu in three episodes!

Here’s the trailer below:

Has anyone watched the Hulu series yet? It's very interesting. The director takes an unusual approach; some might find it too decentralized and meta, while others will find the wealth of footage and interviews, as well as the insights, fascinating. I'm in the latter camp. I've just watched the 20/20 segment ("Evil in Eden"?) from a couple of years ago. I recommend that people who are interested in the cases watch both, as 20/20 provides a clearer chronology of events.

In the Hulu series, Kay Stayner, her daughter Cory (I can't help but mix up her name with her brother's), and Steven's widow and children are interviewed. Steven's daughter's thoughts alone are worth watching the whole thing. She's very wise, and I hope she's as well adjusted as it seems.

(I apologize if there's another thread for discussion of the Hulu series.)

Has anyone watched the Hulu series yet? It's very interesting. The director takes an unusual approach; some might find it too decentralized and meta, while others will find the wealth of footage and interviews, as well as the insights, fascinating. I'm in the latter camp. I've just watched the 20/20 segment ("Evil in Eden"?) from a couple of years ago. I recommend that people who are interested in the cases watch both, as 20/20 provides a clearer chronology of events.

In the Hulu series, Kay Stayner, her daughter Cory (I can't help but mix up her name with her brother's), and Steven's widow and children are interviewed. Steven's daughter's thoughts alone are worth watching the whole thing. She's very wise, and I hope she's as well adjusted as it seems.

(I apologize if there's another thread for discussion of the Hulu series.)
I watched it. It’s very well done. What a hard life these people have had.

I watched it. It’s very well done. What a hard life these people have had.

I’ve also watched the series. I thought it was pretty good! Below are my thoughts on the first two episodes:

“1. ⁠I have to say that I have a great amount of respect for Kay Stayner. I realize she was said to be cold and distant by the narrator of the “20/20” episode back in 2019 but, she came off well in this documentary. Perhaps she wasn’t the most affectionate mother, but it’s clear she cared for Steven.

2. ⁠I think the saddest part of the two episodes I’ve watched so far was when Steven’s former girlfriend (if I remember correctly) recalled how Steven would walk with a hunch, presumably due to the pain he was suffering after the rapes. It’s just awful and disgusting what Parnell did to this poor kid!

3. ⁠I was surprised there was no mention of Barbara Mathias who babysat Steven and also sexually abused him. But perhaps they just wanted to focus on Parnell. Eugene Murphy wasn’t discussed either.

4. ⁠I couldn’t help wondering whether John Walsh and NCMEC ever reached out to Steven and his family in the years between Steven’s return and his death. We know Steven wanted to be a cop but maybe he could have worked with NCMEC too if he had lived!

5. ⁠I was a bit annoyed that those whom they interviewed who knew Steven while captive called him Dennis. I realize they were given a choice but I think out of respect for Steven they should have referred to him by his real name.

6. ⁠I’m unsure how to feel about Steven’s sister Cory wanting so badly to know the details of what was done to him by Parnell. I guess it’s another situation where one regrets knowing the grisly details.

7. ⁠Finally, I thought it was interesting and also sweet that Ashley Stayner thought of Cory Nemec as her dad for so many years as she only knew her dads story through the film. I hope she’s been able to give him that hug!

I think in covering Steven’s story this was well done and very respectful! I also appreciate that they didn’t go into the horrific details of the sexual abuse unlike Mike Echol’s awful book I Know My First Name is Steven, which was overly explicit and poorly written, very dull.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back