CA CA - Sue Sharp 36, & 3 children, Keddie Cabin Murders, Plumas, 11 Apr 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nevermind I found what I was looking for

Ill post shortly

The facts on this case read like watching a soap opera, they tell you then.... it goes to something else, so can anyone fill in the blanks jut need to know 2 things

1) Sexual assault present on ANY victim?

2) Was Tina's body recovered?

Yes, it's like a soap opera.

From what I've read over the years, there was no evidence of sexual assault on any of the victims, though it seems no attempt was made to gather or test that kind of evidence. IIRC, the mother (Glenna's) underpants were stuffed in her mouth as a gag. Some blood was found in her bedroom and she was wearing a night coat.

Tina's remains (part of her skull and other bones) were found 3 years later at a distant location, about 60 miles away, called Camp Eighteen, CA.

I almost don't want to review this one

Ok here goes

Damn friggin creepy case,

Anyway as we always do we start with who we do know,.....the victims

Its a long arduous process , but all of the victims need to be assessed via Victimology assessment to see if anything in their lives made them a target .

You have a mixed group here , you have a family of 6,
1 adult female, 5 children the victims however are
1 adult female, 2 teenage males, 1 adolescent female who is abducted not immediately identified as a homicide.

Its difficult without being involved in the investigation to glean what their lives were like especially in a 30 year old homicide.

Apparently the victims had moved into the cabin sometime around November of the year before the murders which occurred April of 81 (6 mos.) .... If I Wiki'd it right

The younger victims were saying in a cabin next door, and the 2 teen males were supposed to spend the night at another cabin as well .

Meaning that they were either there when the crime began, or they walked in on it and became victims .

I saw one report that said the boys hitchhiked home that day from wherever they were earlier , and my 1st thought was did someone follow them home?

However looking at what crime scene photos are on the net , I tend to feel that this was no stranger to the family,

It's evident to me that this wasn't a planned offense.

The offender came into an occupied home with nothing to bind multiple victims, all of the victims are killed with objects that originate from within the home , this tells me 2 things,

1) He wasn't planning on binding them, most likely because he didn't plan on killing them

2) In order to bind multiple victims he needed assistance, either in the form of an accomplice, or through the use of threat , such as brandishing a weapon or perhaps a BB Gun that looked to the untrained eye like a real firearm.

The killing of the Sharp herself and her son differ from the murder of the 3rd victim found in the cabin where the Mother and son were bound bludgeoned and had their throats slashed , the 3rd victim (Dana Wingate) was beaten and manually strangled, and in the crime scene photos it appears (if this victim was indeed Wingate) that his hands weren't bound .

The Cause of Death for Tina Sharp remains a mystery.

A blanket from Glenna's own bed is used to cover her body, she is the only one who is treated in this manner.

This is what is often referred to as "undoing" which is a behavior often seen when an offender, tries to "care" for their victim post offense, it almost always indicates familiarity with the victim on a personal level.

In trying to find out anything about the victims I was unsuccessful in terms of being able to find enough to formulate a true victimology assessment , so I could be on on this or I could be WAY off..

In terms of a family dynamic it was tough to learn much about learn anything about the victims. From what little bits I could glean there was a lot of turmoil in the family. The 12 year old Tina was known to a be a somewhat rebellious pre-teen , who tested her mother regularly. In the 6 months they lived in the cabin community it appeared to many in the area that Glenna had lost control over her kids .

The 15 yo Son John had fallen in with a questionable crowd including his older friend Wingate, who had a criminal record I believe.

Now I'm not saying this is what happened but as a family begins to fall apart ,and those bonds between family members begin to weaken, people often begin to form bonds that stretch out past the normal reach of what we call our "family".

We see this often with kids who join gangs, we see this often when kids fall into bad crowds, and we sometimes see it where kids become victims of Pedophiles , who molest

(Important note: not all Pedophiles molest, and most Child molesters aren't pedophiles)

As these people begin to socially branch out beyond family control ...... Sometimes they bring something bad back with them

And in that "branching out: I feel one of the family members made contact with someone who ultimately killed them all.

SO who was it?

Now before I go on I just want to say that this is my personal analysis based on studies dine by the FBI , experience as law enforcement officer, studies in forensics, and based on data gathered by large University studies done by both the Federal govt in unison,

Oh and just a heads up

I WILL NOT DEBATE ANY OF THESE POINTS, FEEL FREE TO DISAGREE WITH ANY OF THEM BUT I WILL NOT BE DRAWN INTO AN ARGUMENT BECAUSE SOMEONE DOESN'T LIKE WHAT I WRITE, FEEL FREE TO REPORT IT IF YOU FIND IT OFFENSIVE . BUT I WILL NOT BE DRAWN INTO A BACK AND FORTH WHICH DOES NOTHING TO POSSIBLY FURTHER THE CASE , (Sorry I've been down this road before here)

SO what happened?

When you analyze all of the data, the pictures, the reports, the evidence, what you can't help but notice is that the 2 blood relatives, of the only victim removed from the home, suffered the greatest amount of violence, indicating that they were the targets of "rage"

When you look at the body of Wingate, he is laying with a pillow under his chest and head , his feet are bound but his hands appear to be free, however the violence he suffered wasn't the same as the other 2 victims, he was beaten and manually strangled, but didn't have his throat slashed.

SO far we have no signs of forced entry , we have weapons procured from inside the home, we have bindings procured inside the home, we have a extremely violent crime scene with 2 victims bludgeoned and stabbed to death , one victim being killed differently than the other 2, we have , no witnesses in terms of noise, youngest children not present (Coincidence?..possibly)

Then we have a 12 yo female victim that is removed from the premises, and her remains found 3 years later and 29 miles away after an anonymous phone call .

The lack of sexual assault the absence of any type of theft , belays the motive behind these murders , and indicates that this individual did not have a sexual preference for either adolescent boys, OR adult women

In this case, you are looking at anger, anger toward the relatives of Tina, (as she’s the only one removed) perhaps with the notion of having Tina all to himself….My feeling is that this was someone who was enamored with Tina, he was known to the family, and though he sexually desired her he took on a role as some type of guardian to her.

This was an older individual (late 20's early 30's) who was comfortable with violence. he was able to gain control of 4 victims of varying ages, , which demonstrates not only a familiarity with violence, but criminal experience.

This is almost certainly a “fixated” type pedophile -This tye is an individual with a true sexual preference for children, in this case young females, he most likely has other victims as well.

Now here’s the part I refuse to Debate.. It seems that whenever you implicate a member of a family in someone's murder especially one of a child, it pisses someone off …. SO if that's you stop reading now!

There is a chance, albeit slight , that Tina may have initiated this crime, perhaps unknowingly so , by confiding in this individual that she was angry with her mother, or perhaps even wanted something to happen to her mother, .. Now it’s entirely possible this individual decided to commit this crime out of "love" and "devotion".

Now another possibility that is not out of the realm is the possible discovery of Tina being molested by this individual

However there may have been a “master plan” set forth by both to take Tina away from whatever perceived ills her family situation presented her, that Tina herself may have been aware of or even agreed to .

The covering of the mother figure, may have been to calm her down, or possibly even done by Tina herself .

I know it sounds horrible, but the evidence in this case seems to indicate that this was what happened.

So why was Tina killed ?, thats where the lines blur a bit ,

There are 3 possible narratives I feel could explain why she was killed, however, all of them depend on when she was actually killed,

If she was killed immediately after, and transported, or transported to where she was killed, it's possible the killer was in panic mode. He would most likely have to explain his sudden disappearance to those in the area where he and most likely they lived, therefore once he realized he couldn't possibly keep Tina , he had to get rid of her .

The second which I feel may be more accurate,

Because we have no indication of when Tina was actually killed, I feel that Tina was probably wrought with guilt over the killings, even though she may have knowingly or unknowingly had some influence on the crime, it's possible she grew more and more uncomfortable with the offenders growing sexual pressures, or sexual contact over time , she may have not been aware that he had a “price” he intended her to pay , her assertive attitude , may have lead her to become brazen with him , perhaps even begin to talk . He felt she became too much of a liability.

The 3rd is probably the most disturbing and sad

It’s not uncommon for these types to be involved in the production of and trading of Child *advertiser censored* , sometimes on a huge scale as well, its possible that he had planned to use Tina in that manner, but after having killed her family it was way too risky to have her seen in any pictures or video , because not only would that jeopardize him, but the operation. Even amongst pedophiles, he couldn't take the risk of being identified .

Ok here goes

The younger victims were saying in a cabin next door

youngest children not present (Coincidence?..possibly)

The youngest children were present. They were in a bedroom with a boy from the cabin next door. Many people consider that boys dad and a man staying with them very good suspects in this murder. The oldest daughter is the one who was staying at a neighbors house.

The youngest children were present. They were in a bedroom with a boy from the cabin next door. Many people consider that boys dad and a man staying with them very good suspects in this murder. The oldest daughter is the one who was staying at a neighbors house.

Thanks for the clarification I thought I read they were staying next door, doesnt change the analysis though

Very interesting analysis, Rich Kelly! FWIW, I think you may be right.

When I first read of this case a few years ago (it gave me a couple of nightmares) I was new at analyzing these cold cases. At that time, there was so much speculation on this being a case of drug deals gone bad, etc. But, yes, the removal of Tina from the crime scene says a great deal about why this crime was committed. It always seemed important that the mother was the target of such brutality and rage and that the bindings, weapons, etc. came from the home.

I also agree with your theory that the murderer was someone inadvertently introduced to the family, someone known to them. It also seems as though others in the community knew (and still know) the killer, but refused to speak out.

Questions: Do you think local police bungled the investigation or were covering for the killer? That's also been a long discussed theory. Does it seem like the killer may have been drunk or drugged to reach such an enraged state?

Lots to think about here, but it's good analysis, IMHO.

What do we know about the person who picked up the boys hitchhiking?

Although a possibility, I have doubts that Tina was involved but she does seem to be the principal focus. Whether she was a part of the killer's original plan or she was just something he found as a bonus and took advantage of is an open question.

If Tina was involved, then we have to consider that she was not murdered at all but, in fact, in remorse, committed suicide. It would also be possible that she died as a result of an accident or of natural causes and had to be disposed of.

I'm reviewing again a lot of the files for this case, especially timelines

http://keddie28.com/timeline.html

Tina had been molested in the past, when she was 11 years old. The family was living in nearby Quincy, CA at the time. Investigators did check the perp's activities and whereabouts and investigated several other known sex offenders in the area.

I'm now looking for more info on who Tina spent time with before the killings. Also looking at the men that the mother had dated in the recent past.

It's still hard to overlook the suspicious actions and polygraph interviews with the next door neighbor, Marty.

I also doubt that Tina would have been in anyone's plan for child *advertiser censored*. Twelve-years-old is over the hill for those creeps and if she was as precocious as some have said then I suspect she even looked and came across as older than 12.

The area where she was found-is there a town there? There was a memorial service for Tina, yes? Do we know who attended and if not, can we find out? Where was it held? Where are Tina and her son buried and where was the friend who was also killed with them, buried? There is a pic of Tina that comes up when search Google images. To me, she looked younger than 12.

This was Palm Sunday weekend so if "Put to the Question" I would say that this was an essentially random act by wilding Spring breakers or something of the sort who were there on holiday. The perp(s) obviously DID NOT know the victims well otherwise they would have sought out and eliminated the other potential witnesses within the structure.

Looking through the files at Keddie 28.com, there are links to the coroner's report for Tina.

http://keddie28.com/gal/Case Files/Victims/Tina/index.html

She was first listed as a Jane Doe when discovered 3 yrs after the murder of her family. She was found in a remote area called Camp Eighteen, near Feather Falls, CA. Found were several bones and part of her skull and some teeth.

Also found were some remnants of knotted lamp cord along with remnants of a knotted bra. Everything had been exposed to the elements for a long time and LE concluded she had been killed around the time her family was murdered.

Tina was 12 and didn't have any children. You can find photos of her at the link above.
I don't know if a memorial service was held for her. The surviving members of her family had moved back to the East Coast to live with their father.

Sexual preferences of pedohpiles range from Infants, to almost legal, there is no set age that's "too old' for them, the are however specific when it comes to victim appearance.

Chances are if this individual found her sexually attractive, there are others in those circles that will as well

And Ill add to it that these victims involved in these rings, will often be "traded" to other pedophiles once they outgrow that age bracket in which someone finds them attractive as well.

Its a nauseating sub culture, Ive had a TON of experience in dealing with .

On the inverse, one way pedophiles who don't molest children get around it is to find women who are smaller in stature, and look similar to their age group , they'll pay them to dress like their desired target group etc...

Very interesting analysis, Rich Kelly! FWIW, I think you may be right.

When I first read of this case a few years ago (it gave me a couple of nightmares) I was new at analyzing these cold cases. At that time, there was so much speculation on this being a case of drug deals gone bad, etc. But, yes, the removal of Tina from the crime scene says a great deal about why this crime was committed. It always seemed important that the mother was the target of such brutality and rage and that the bindings, weapons, etc. came from the home.

Oh Its creepy as hell.... creepy enough to be the basis of a movie, these cases whee families are wiped out with one child missing ... thats a script right there.

But remember , somewhere lies the truth, the evidence is all we have if we dont speculate as to what happens and we stay to the investigation, you start to see a "theme" develop.

I also agree with your theory that the murderer was someone inadvertently introduced to the family, someone known to them. It also seems as though others in the community knew (and still know) the killer, but refused to speak out.

No forced entry means he was most likely let in, now I know ll about unlocked doors etc.. However the weapons and the bindings came from within the house as well. He didn't plan for this to happen or he would've come equipped.

Ill say again the covering of the face of "sue" is one of the most telltale things of this crime.

Questions: Do you think local police bungled the investigation or were covering for the killer? That's also been a long discussed theory. Does it seem like the killer may have been drunk or drugged to reach such an enraged state?

Lots to think about here, but it's good analysis, IMHO.

With this kind of heat on the dept, Id find it a stretch for them to be covering for anyone, especially in an area I'm told was ripe with criminals, they have nothing to lose .

Now was it botched?....maybe, as I stated before these types are often involved with others, were they perhaps investigating a pedophile ring in an attempt to bring the whole freak show down?... I can't say, But I feel hes been interviewed, I feel someone harbors suspicions, and for some reason 2 and 2 hasn't been put together yet

Use of alcohol or drugs, may have played a role, I can't say for sure, but I will say it most likely was a popular option for him after. Id expect to see an increase in both (if he used them) post offense,

He may have returned to the area if only briefly , but Id expect this kind to skate as soon as he could.

Were they stabbed in the heart? Otherwise, why was there so little blood at the crime scene? Is this something that LE is holding back?

I was unfamiliar with this case, but just caught up on the thread. Some aspects of this case remind me of Cary Stayner. He would have been 20 years old at that time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding the 4.5 mm pellet:

1-It may not have been related to the crime

2-Athough not normally considered lethal, there are some very high velocity air rifles that have a muzzle energy close to a small firearm and could certainly be fatal

3-There are muzzle loading firearms that can fire 4.5 mm pellets as well although they are not common

4-If related to the crime, I think it would indicate a young perpetrator since an older person would almost certainly bring a firearm if he was bringing a gun

I run the <modsnip> site, and unfortunately know more than most about the case. I'm glad to see recent activity on this thread but, unfortunately, much of the info being discussed is outdated and/or inaccurate. I'll try to answer the highlights of the last couple months of posts, quickly and from the hip. Forgive me if it's not sugarcoated. I don't do that. I'll also try to keep my replies to posts in one paragraph per OP, and in chronological order...

&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;

&#9658; A. Resendiz was not considered, to my knowledge. Nor should he have been. At the time of the murders, PCSO went public with their working theory the I-5 killer did it, but one huge problem was his arrest a full month before the Keddie Murders was highly publicized knowledge. Serial killers do a slight percentage of murders per annum, and for so many 'interwebs' detectives to try to attribute a particular murder to some sk they've read about is so off-base I don't waste my time with them, particularly considering facts about the Keddie Murders are now so easily available.

&#9658; There was blood on the knobs of almost every door in the cabin. There was also blood on doors, smears on bedroom walls and bedding, etc. With no test results identifying whose blood is in these samples, it's foolhardy to speculate how certain stains got there. It's pretty obvious many of the stains came from blood on the killers' own hands, and Tina and Sue were awakened and attacked simultaneously: they were asleep in beds just feet apart in the same room. The light in that room appears to be the only light turned on during the murders, and was still on when PCSO came upon the scene at 8am. It's widely known Tina was already home and asleep before Sue went to sleep later. Sue was very myopic, yet her eyeglasses were on the night table, where she put them only when sleeping. The robe she'd been seen wearing prior to going to bed was also hanging from her closet door. The Sharps, like everyone else in Keddie, never locked their doors. She and Tina were awakened by the killers.

&#9658; The Friday the 13th post is pretty off: There's a lot of MAJOR drug activity tied to Marty, Bo, and members of LE, as well as Marty being a best pal with the sheriff (Syl Doug Thomas) and under-sheriff (Ken Shanks, himself molesting kids at the time of the murders). Doug Thomas apparently lived in 28 just before the Sharps moved in, making Marty's claims he lived with his pal, DT, during a strained period with his own wife far more plausible: 26 (where Marty lived) and 28 were yards from each other, and Marty would probably have crashed in the unfinished basement room Johnny later took. Plus, Thomas recently told us he was big pals with Marty, and he, Marty, and Shanks would spend hours together at night cruising around in a patrol car. Back to drugs: There's a lot of jabber about Johnny and Dana being involved in a recent drug rip-off, but it comes from the same notorious liar who also loudly lied about bringing the boys home that night. Johnny was said to have been implicated in prior small pot ripoffs (1/4 oz), but LE research indicates he wasn't wittingly involved. The only things tying drugs to Cabin 28 are the backgrounds of the suspects, dirty local LE and CA-DOJ, a carton of 'sandwich baggies' taken into evidence from 28, and two mentions of DEA contact info found in victims' belongings. Without solid facts tying anything together, I find the drug angle spec a complete waste of time, particularly when other, meritorious avenues are bearing fruit.

&#9658; As for case summaries posted or linked to, most of them are laughable and repeat decades-old misinformation and outright lies. The wiki page is awful, but I don't waste my time trying to update a hopeless situation, which is what Wiki is: Try quoting from actual police files, when wiki prefers you link to printed newspaper articles filled with lies? I'm midway through writing a synopsis based on actual KNOWN facts, <modsnip>

&#9658; Sex assault info on all victims (excluding Tina, found in skeletal form three years later) came back negative. I admittedly have many issues with the autopsies and the work of the ME who conducted all three, but the fluid results would have come from a source independent of said ME.

&#9658; RichKelly: The only child not supposed to stay the night in 28 was eldest daughter, Sheila. There's no indication where Johnny and Dana were when the murders began: still walking home, or already downstairs in Johnny's remote basement room (his room was not attached to the main floor via an indoor stairwell). Either way you cut it, the boys had to enter from the outside. Both male victims were still fully clothed, including outdoor attire (sweater, jacket, vest). It's important to note Johnny's basement room was in the unfinished basement, with his only heat being a space heater, so they could have been down there for a while with their outerwear still on. Johnny's windows were completely covered with cardboard for insulation, also making it difficult/impossible to see from the outside if his lights were on. The only claims the boys successfully hitched home are from liars trying to inject themselves into the picture. The killers are people who knew the victims, and it WAS a planned offense made to look unplanned. A home invasion was planned, most restraints/weapons were brought by the killers (the knives and hammer found at the scene are almost all superfluous to the death-causing injuries). They brought restraints with them (at least three rolls of med tape, including two different widths of tape, were used), and all the cords used as restraints came from 28, but all cord use appears to be solely for posthumous staging. Dana had been bound, hand and foot, with the wider med tape, but both bindings were broken. Sue was initially placed in a very sexually humiliating pose, and was in that position long enough for rigor to set. She was only later moved and covered, most certainly NOT by any of the killers. The survivor(s) or people that entered 28 prior to LE's arrival (3 survivors, plus 2 other entered) are the ones that moved Sue, out of empathy. The sheet and blanket came from the bed Tina had been sleeping in. Tina was socially inward, underdeveloped, shy. Johnny was rebellious, and had briefly run away many weeks before the murders. Sue was most severely beaten and abused, but Johnny is the only one with a 'deadly' stab wound prior to death. Most, if not all, of Sue's stab wounds appear postmortem. There is absolutely ZERO evidence indicating Tina left the cabin alive. Marty himself claimed he killed both Sue and Tina, and Tina was "incapacitated" when she was taken. The taking of Tina from the crime scene appears simply to be yet another layer of the ever-present and crappy staging: Get the lightest victim, a girl, and dump her miles away to confuse the scene and mislead people. 34 years later, it's still working.

&#9658; Doug Thomas went out of his way in the early weeks to imply Tina was involved. FBI in Quantico were fed patently false info from PCSO & CA-DOJ, which led to a very faulty perp assessment by a very young John Douglas. Had he been told the truth, I doubt he would have concluded Tina had even the remotest likelihood of involvement. Any thoughts of Tina's being sold, or committing suicide, are such wild, baseless spec... ugh! I run up against this time-wasting stuff all the time, and it gets old.

&#9658; Sue went through several boyfriends in the months before the murders. If Tony G indeed dated Sue, he's a prime suspect. He's ALREADY a prime tertiary suspect, in my book, due to lies he and others have told. Plus, immediately after we talked to him and contradicted his lies, he quit his job without notice and bailed from a town he'd been living in for YEARS.

&#9658; Tina was found at Camp Eighteen, a former mining town, by an antique bottle collector. Long abandoned, c18 is also very remote. I knew where it was and STILL got lost twice! In April, it's interwoven, unmarked dirt roads covered with snow, puddles, mud, felld trees left over from winter. When I visited in April 2011, c18 was barely a wide spot in the road, enough to pull over and park, leaving a full lane for the non-existent traffic.

&#9658; Tina's memorial service was held mid-2000s at the Quincy Cemetery. Dana, Johnny, and Sue were all cremated. Disposition of ashes unknown on all, but there were ceremonies held in Quincy days after the murders, and plaques for Johnny & Sue (and, at the 00s ceremony, Tina) placed at the cemetery.

&#9658; Feather River College had their Spring Break/Easter vacation the week prior to the murders, causing an exodus of people from Plumas- NOT an influx of suspects. The Spring Vacation for the Plumas Unified School District was AFTER the murders. The murders was NOT a random act, although LE went out of their way to imply it was, stating 'all weapons came from inside th cabin', that it was a crime of opportunity. The killers brought a kill kit, including bindings, at least one knife, a rifle, and perhaps a second hammer/bludgeon. Circumferences of head wounds attributed to hammer blows are of two different sizes, and Marty also inexplicably told DOJ scum that he'd "love to see the hammer" from 28 because he just happened to notice his hammer was missing right after the murders.

&#9658; The surviving kids moved into foster care in the Pac NW and were eventually adopted as a group. Their father went back east alone, once again- and forever- abandoning his family.

&#9658; No forced entry means cabin 28 never locked their doors. Nobody in Keddie did. When Sheila went home Sunday morning, she didn't have or need a key. Their doors were ALWAYS unlocked. Johnny lived downstairs, the only bathroom was upstairs, there was no connecting internal stairway. Do the math.

&#9658; PCSO and CA-DOJ intentionally botched the case to protect the killers, the Powers That Be, and their own asses. The last thing anyone of power involved wanted was an arrest and trial, where things would be exposed.

&#9658; The pellet WAS part of the crime. The Daisy rifle used to shoot and beat the victims (only one round found, but pellet guns require manual loading of each round) has not been found, of course, but the killers left behind both sight pieces off the barrel. At least one wound to Sue's right cheek is 100% clearly from the sight from the tip of the barrel. The plostumous bludgeoning that crushed Dana's skull may have come from the rifle barrel as well. Both Bo and Marty, and Dee Lake, were ex-military, and Bo has a storied history of pistol-whipping compliant victims stretching back to his mafia gang robberies in Chicago in the 50s.

&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;&#9660;

<modsnip

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back