CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had seen an recent update on that comment a few weeks back that they tried to review the footage from the Atlanta Chevron but it had already been wiped after a couple of days. I tried to double check the exact comment but it seems the Until They Are Found video has been made private or deleted now.
Sydney is certainly intelligent and resilient enough to relocate. If this was indeed her she's probably hiding for good reason :(

I only recently came upon Sydney’s story, but I’ve gone straight down a rabbit hole. Red flags were glaring when I saw her Poshmark Page. I also thought the juxtaposition of items listed seems alarming… little children’s items - eyelash goggles, scrunchies, pink ballerina music box, next to photographs of her posing in bras.

I am in no way criticizing Sydney for her photographs, quite the opposite, I immediately felt scared. It was shocking to see the targeted age difference in the items as well as how they were stylized, additionally it was the first time I have read or seen anything that alludes to sexual connotation. Everything that Sydney‘s parents release portrays a very curated picture of a “perfect” daughter (it seems through their lens), everything that Sydney has posted on online forums, is extremely raw and real and speaks to the trials and tribulations of a 19-year-old girl living under insurmountable expectations and control.

While others have commented that Sydney does not appear to have the grit it would take (paraphrasing) to pull off an elaborate planned disappearance, given the somewhat entitled lavish lifestyle she lived provided by her parents, I disagree. She didn’t want to do an internship for her fathers company, she was made to, she wanted to work elsewhere (I believe NBC). She had to leave her home and high school and move to NC transferring schools her junior year. Her father didn’t want to pay out of state tuition at Berkeley. Why? All of the colleges that have been listed come with a hefty pricetag. It is my assumption that maybe she just wanted to go “home”. It didn’t appear that she wanted to row, rather that the decision was being made for her. Everything else written about Sydney, which is plentiful and elaborate focuses on volleyball.

Sudney’s parents and family are 100% controlling the narrative of this story. It is one thing for police to hold back details for an ongoing investigation, it is another thing entirely for the family to ask for help finding their daughter and then shut down all discussion regarding what may have happened to her based on information that Sydney shared first hand. If there is hope in getting to the root of things wouldn’t it make the most sense to follow Sydney’s lead, a path she clearly lays out in her writing, songs, and poetry. That being said, I have faith in this girl, above all else she has shown us just how bright and creative she is. She may have been planting seeds for quite sometime, painting a picture, and curating the narrative that led her to the Gold Gate Bridge, figuratively leaving her old life behind.

<modsnip: No link to an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
I only recently came upon Sydney’s story, but I’ve gone straight down a rabbit hole. Red flags were glaring when I saw her Poshmark Page. I also thought the juxtaposition of items listed seems alarming… little children’s items - eyelash goggles, scrunchies, pink ballerina music box, next to photographs of her posing in bras.

I am in no way criticizing Sydney for her photographs, quite the opposite, I immediately felt scared. It was shocking to see the targeted age difference in the items as well as how they were stylized, additionally it was the first time I have read or seen anything that alludes to sexual connotation. Everything that Sydney‘s parents release portrays a very curated picture of a “perfect” daughter (it seems through their lens), everything that Sydney has posted on online forums, is extremely raw and real and speaks to the trials and tribulations of a 19-year-old girl living under insurmountable expectations and control.

While others have commented that Sydney does not appear to have the grit it would take (paraphrasing) to pull off an elaborate planned disappearance, given the somewhat entitled lavish lifestyle she lived provided by her parents, I disagree. She didn’t want to do an internship for her fathers company, she was made to, she wanted to work elsewhere (I believe NBC). She had to leave her home and high school and move to NC transferring schools her junior year. Her father didn’t want to pay out of state tuition at Berkeley. Why? All of the colleges that have been listed come with a hefty pricetag. It is my assumption that maybe she just wanted to go “home”. It didn’t appear that she wanted to row, rather that the decision was being made for her. Everything else written about Sydney, which is plentiful and elaborate focuses on volleyball.

Sudney’s parents and family are 100% controlling the narrative of this story. It is one thing for police to hold back details for an ongoing investigation, it is another thing entirely for the family to ask for help finding their daughter and then shut down all discussion regarding what may have happened to her based on information that Sydney shared first hand. If there is hope in getting to the root of things wouldn’t it make the most sense to follow Sydney’s lead, a path she clearly lays out in her writing, songs, and poetry. That being said, I have faith in this girl, above all else she has shown us just how bright and creative she is. She may have been planting seeds for quite sometime, painting a picture, and curating the narrative that led her to the Gold Gate Bridge, figuratively leaving her old life behind.

<modsnip: No link to an approved source>

I have always found the tightly controlled narrative very unsettling. You would expect her friends to have reported to the media about her mindset before her disappearance. But, nothing. Even if she didn’t have close friends bc school just started and Covid, etc, wouldn’t her roommate(s) have observed anything about her behavior?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always found the tightly controlled narrative very unsettling. You would expect her friends to have reported to the media about her mindset before her disappearance. But, nothing. Even if she didn’t have close friends bc school just started and Covid, etc, wouldn’t her roommate(s) have observed anything about her behavior?
I think it’s absolutely bizarre that none of her friends have come forward in her defense / on behalf of her. She must have had social networks in both NC and CA, in addition to teammates. She shared so much on social media, I have to believe she would have also been venting to at least some of her peers. Even if it was hard for her to say things as opposed to writing them, it’s not like she was keeping her despair a secret. Also - how do you crowd surf and not give a reason for not having somewhere to live? Even if she lied - she still had to have said something, yet no one is saying anything. It almost feels like a gag order.

I think it’s absolutely bizarre that none of her friends have come forward in her defense / on behalf of her. She must have had social networks in both NC and CA, in addition to teammates. She shared so much on social media, I have to believe she would have also been venting to at least some of her peers. Even if it was hard for her to say things as opposed to writing them, it’s not like she was keeping her despair a secret. Also - how do you crowd surf and not give a reason for not having somewhere to live? Even if she lied - she still had to have said something, yet no one is saying anything. It almost feels like a gag order.
Yeah, I wonder if they could make an anonymous statements instead if they're afraid of repercussions. I think knowing her mindset or what she was saying the weeks before she disappeared is important. Seems odd that info is missing.

DEC 5, 2022

Sydney West

sydney_west.jpg

UC Berkeley student Sydney West has been missing since September 30, 2020. The then 19-year-old was last seen at the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California. After Sydney's parents in North Carolina were unable to reach her for several days, they reported her missing in North Carolina on October 1 and then again in San Francisco on October 2. Police have released security footage of the missing student from the day she disappeared. Sydney was last seen wearing a sweatshirt, dark-colored shorts, and slip-on blue Vans shoes. According to Sydney’s family and police, there has been no activity on her cell phone, social media or bank account. Four months after Sydney vanished, her parents took to social media to announce a reward for information that leads to their daughter’s whereabouts and return. The amount has now more than doubled and stands at $25,000. Sydney is described as being 5’10” and weighing 130 lbs. She has blonde hair and blue eyes. Dateline reached out to the San Francisco Police Department in November 2022 for an update on the investigation but has not heard back. If you have information on Sydney’s whereabouts please call the San Francisco Police Department 24-hour tip line at 1-415-575-4444, text a tip to TIP411 (begin the text message with SFPD.)

UC Berkeley just confirmed that no students are missing. This means that 1) Sydney was not a student at the time she went missing, which is consistent with rumors of a mental health event, or 2) UC Berkeley does not consider her missing, i.e., suicide. Quote from story: “There are no outstanding cases of missing individuals from the school, officials said.” Human skeleton remains found on UC Berkeley's Clark Kerr Campus

UC Berkeley just confirmed that no students are missing. This means that 1) Sydney was not a student at the time she went missing, which is consistent with rumors of a mental health event, or 2) UC Berkeley does not consider her missing, i.e., suicide. Quote from story: “There are no outstanding cases of missing individuals from the school, officials said.” Human skeleton remains found on UC Berkeley's Clark Kerr Campus

Thank you for updating the case. She had indeed left Berkeley and IIRC, gotten a cash refund on either tuition or housing before telling friends (and maybe her family) that she was "moving to SF."

Thank you for updating the case. She had indeed left Berkeley and IIRC, gotten a cash refund on either tuition or housing before telling friends (and maybe her family) that she was "moving to SF."

Yeah no, IMHO this won't be Sydney.

ETA: CA - CA - Berkeley, Human skeletal remains found @ UC Berkeley in a building abandoned for years, 13 Jan 2023

Last edited:
Sydney West, a 19-year-old University of California, Berkeley, student from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, went missing from the Golden Gate Bridge on the morning of Sept. 30, 2020.

Some have jumped to conclusions about West's disappearance from that fact alone, but her family and a California private investigator are still "baffled" and hopeful three years later, particularly after seeing video footage of West on the bridge that morning.

"First off, it was 6:45, roughly, in the morning. Extremely crowded. It was foggy, but she kind of disappears into the fog," private investigator Scott Dudek told Fox News Digital of the video footage. "You would think if somebody went and crawled up on the rails with all those people and bike riders, somebody would have either called, which, that never happened, or somebody would have tried to talk to her and try to come forward with all that publicity, and that never happened."

I know the police kind of have given up on it because that is their theory behind it," he continued.
Sydney West disappeared from the Golden Gate Bridge on the morning of Sept. 30, 2020.

The footage, which is not public and rarely viewed by anyone other than bridge officials, also shows fog rolling over the bridge combined with smoke from nearby wildfires that eventually obscure any view of West's last known location.

In a statement to PEOPLE, the SFPD said, "This missing person case is still an open investigation. At this time, we do not have any evidence that foul play was involved. We do not have any updates to release at this time."

According to the website, Sydney was last seen wearing a light teal hoodie, tropical print Vans sneakers and dark leggings. Her backpack was later found around the Golden Gate Bridge.

A $25,000 reward has been offered for information leading to Sydney's whereabouts.

Anyone with information about Sydney is asked to contact private investigator Scott Dudek at (925) 705-8328 or Dudek.associates@gmail.com.

Sydney West, a 19-year-old University of California, Berkeley, student from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, went missing from the Golden Gate Bridge on the morning of Sept. 30, 2020.

Some have jumped to conclusions about West's disappearance from that fact alone, but her family and a California private investigator are still "baffled" and hopeful three years later, particularly after seeing video footage of West on the bridge that morning.

"First off, it was 6:45, roughly, in the morning. Extremely crowded. It was foggy, but she kind of disappears into the fog," private investigator Scott Dudek told Fox News Digital of the video footage. "You would think if somebody went and crawled up on the rails with all those people and bike riders, somebody would have either called, which, that never happened, or somebody would have tried to talk to her and try to come forward with all that publicity, and that never happened."

I know the police kind of have given up on it because that is their theory behind it," he continued.
Sydney West disappeared from the Golden Gate Bridge on the morning of Sept. 30, 2020.

The footage, which is not public and rarely viewed by anyone other than bridge officials, also shows fog rolling over the bridge combined with smoke from nearby wildfires that eventually obscure any view of West's last known location.
If it was foggy and smoky and it obscured the view, she might have jumped. I feel like she did. JMO

It's so very sad for her family, because I think the fog and smoke obscured the view of whether she left the bridge on foot, but IMO usually a backpack found near or on the bridge means tragedy. I understand if her family can't just give up hope, though.

Would we in the same situation? Usually they can show families that their loved-one did not walk off the bridge, but for her, that view wasn't available (ETA: was also obscured), I think... JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back