CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I’m a longtime lurker of the site (I think I created an account during the Mackenzie Lueck case last year? But not certain). My username is a reference to the book/movie “Gone Girl”. I am not Sydney West. I do however live in the Bay Area, just about twenty minutes from where she lives and am only a couple years older than her (22) so I’ve been following her case with a lot of concern as I feel sort of connected to her in those ways! I’ve never posted until now because I generally convince myself I don’t have anything worth contributing, haha.

I’m deeply sorry if I alarmed anyone! It didn’t even cross my mind how my choice of username could be misconstrued in this case. I would hate to think I’ve distracted anyone while this poor girl is still out there somewhere. :(

Thank you very much for the welcomes.
Hi, thanks for clearing that up, and welcome!

Hey guys! I’m a longtime lurker of the site (I think I created an account during the Mackenzie Lueck case last year? But not certain). My username is a reference to the book/movie “Gone Girl”. I am not Sydney West. I do however live in the Bay Area, just about twenty minutes from where she lives and am only a couple years older than her (22) so I’ve been following her case with a lot of concern as I feel sort of connected to her in those ways! I’ve never posted until now because I generally convince myself I don’t have anything worth contributing, haha.

I’m deeply sorry if I alarmed anyone! It didn’t even cross my mind how my choice of username could be misconstrued in this case. I would hate to think I’ve distracted anyone while this poor girl is still out there somewhere. :(

Thank you very much for the welcomes.
Lol, thanks for being a good sport. We're a suspicious bunch round here ;)

You have age and geographic location in common with Syd, so hope you keep posting. We need your perspective.

I came across this thread last night and started looking for Sydney's TikTok account, figuring it had more info than her Instagram or VSCO. I found one thing that I don't think has been discussed yet, which is that she apparently had a really difficult time making a decision about where to go to college. On 'decision day' she posted saying that it was 5 pm and she still hadn't made a decision yet. She was between UMass and Berkeley for D1 rowing.

Here's the link:
The Anti TikTokker on TikTok

Her last post was of her dog on July 23rd, and the sound playing in the background is of her singing (based on the comments on some of her posts)

Also, because of how people were speculating about her mental health and whether or not she may have gone to the bridge to jump, I thought TikTok could reveal something. Gen Z is very open about that topic, and more often than not make self-deprecating jokes on platforms like TikTok (rather than somewhere like Instagram). I took a look at her Instagram following to see if she was following any mental health related accounts and she was not, which is also pretty common among Gen Z.

MOO
Thank you for all this information - I’m very worried for her

My guess is that there is a 33/33/33 % chance of scenarios.

1. That Syd has disappeared because she dropped out of school and would prefer to not face up to that with those who care about her.

2. That foul play has befallen Syd.

3. That Syd became super depressed.

I think doing a full forensic examination of bank/phone/CCTV records is the primary way that the police will have any chance of determining which is the most likely scenario.
And unless/until they are doing that, important time is ticking away if it should be scenario #2.

If it is scenario #1, I hope that Syd gets word to her loved ones, even if she decides not to go home. She is an adult, and the world is her oyster. The police will not pursue it any further if she has chosen this path.
Until we know different, I’m voting for #1, and that the reluctance to discuss the withdrawal from classes is compounded by the awkwardness & embarrassment of having your every online moment scrutinized by the world. This would be the best case scenario, so wishful thinking. Did her parents or uncle or friends know she’d made the decision to drop her classes? Or did they learn of this as the investigation unfolded? Haven’t seen this clearly stated anywhere official. Too much pressure & too many expectations in this world. I hope she is okay.

I hope it’s not the case but I have a fairly strong feeling someone pursued her and she’s been severely injured. There are so many park areas nearby and temporarily closed buildings and areas (that can still be accessed if one chooses). Also, I keep wondering if when they refer to early morning they mean 1:00 AM? Or thereabouts as opposed to sunrise. Or did an official source mention sunrise?

I hope it’s not the case but I have a fairly strong feeling someone pursued her and she’s been severely injured. There are so many park areas nearby and temporarily closed buildings and areas (that can still be accessed if one chooses). Also, I keep wondering if when they refer to early morning they mean 1:00 AM? Or thereabouts as opposed to sunrise. Or did an official source mention sunrise?

BBM
Yes, I was wondering the same.

WELCOME! I used to live in the Bay Area too - when I was your age, and this case is concerning - we want it solved. These days, there's not a lot of coverage on such cases in SF but maybe we can pull the SF Chronicle/SFGate into some media coverage.

If she was living with friends, I'd love to hear a little bit about what they know. Did she go to Crissy Field regularly and at that hour? (I bet she did - but it would be so great if they confirm). Was it for a brisk walk?

Etc. Surely they must be the last ones to have seen her?
Someone must have seen her to give a description of what she was wearing, unless that information came from one of the cameras.

And I agree that she had probably been there before since it seems more like a destination and not a place most people would go for the first time alone so early in the morning.

BBM
Yes, I was wondering the same.

Great catch!

I was curious so I went back to this article posted by the OP. The Orange County Sheriff's FB post included in the article, states that she was last seen September 29th! So it must have been sometime after midnight.

So now I really wonder how she got there and why she would go there so late at night. I'm even more concerned now.

San Francisco is not as safe as it was pre-COVID. And as I've noticed in other cases of people who've gone missing in the area, the police don't act with as much urgency as I'd like if the missing person is an adult.

Parents make plea for Chapel Hill native, UC Berkeley student missing in California

Someone must have seen her to give a description of what she was wearing, unless that information came from one of the cameras.

And I agree that she had probably been there before since it seems more like a destination and not a place most people would go for the first time alone so early in the morning.

Do the cameras film in color? If not, the description of her teal sweatshirt would have to come from someone who saw her...or from a roommate who knew what she was wearing or what clothing was missing.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! :)

No worries. :)

Uncle is mixing his tenses up - past tense and present tense all in one sentence.
I am sure it is a very distressing and confusing time for all, and they just don't know what to think.

"She really was a wonderful, sensitive, really just a good kid who was hurting .. .. but she's a very sweet kid"

No worries. :)

Uncle is mixing his tenses up - past tense and present tense all in one sentence.
I am sure it is a very distressing and confusing time for all, and they just don't know what to think.

"She really was a wonderful, sensitive, really just a good kid who was hurting .. .. but she's a very sweet kid"

I simply can’t imagine the horror of going through this for her parents and family. No sleep, I’m sure.

Lol, thanks for being a good sport. We're a suspicious bunch round here ;)

You have age and geographic location in common with Syd, so hope you keep posting. We need your perspective.

Absolutely! I’ve long admired the shrewd minds here so I get it. Like Lilibet said, the fact that several people came to the same suspicion/hope of me being Syd is a mark to the compassion of everyone here at Websleuths, I think!

My guess is that there is a 33/33/33 % chance of scenarios.

1. That Syd has disappeared because she dropped out of school and would prefer to not face up to that with those who care about her.

2. That foul play has befallen Syd.

3. That Syd became super depressed.

I think doing a full forensic examination of bank/phone/CCTV records is the primary way that the police will have any chance of determining which is the most likely scenario.
And unless/until they are doing that, important time is ticking away if it should be scenario #2.

If it is scenario #1, I hope that Syd gets word to her loved ones, even if she decides not to go home. She is an adult, and the world is her oyster. The police will not pursue it any further if she has chosen this path.

Thanks to everyone who has responded about this. I find the lack of coverage on her case (including information on cellphone pings etc) odd considering the amount of time she’s been missing and was wondering if maybe LE suspecting her leaving of her own accord would be a reason for them holding back that info. I would be really surprised if they don’t have any of that by now- 10 days is a long time for a 19 year old girl to be missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay