CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what I’m thinking too. Most freshman live in the dorms. I’m not sure about Berkeley but a lot of the UC’s require it especially if you are from out of state. I’m guessing the police in NC are just referring to Berkeley as SF. I was just in Berkeley 2 weeks ago and it’s close to SF so I can see the confusion.
She probably lives in the dorms since she’s a freshman. I know some of the UC campuses are making the students live there even though they aren’t doing all of their classes in person. If I had to guess she probably took the BART into SF for the day.
Cal Poly-SLO requires all first time freshman to live on campus. I thought all UC's required that?

Four days and no one has heard from her is very scary!!

I actually first learned of this case because Sydney’s mother is in a FB group I’m in and she posted about her disappearance. I suggested she come here since I know there are resources for families with missing children. Not sure if she will post here or not. Unfortunately she didn’t share any info. other than to link the news article. I’m very concerned for Sydney. I’ve been to Chrissy field and it’s nice with a lot of people around during the day but SF is a big city and there are a lot of areas that aren’t so safe.

In case Sydney’s mother comes here to read, even without joining, there is some very valuable info on Websleuths. We’re here for brainstorming and venting...whatever she needs.

One thing I’ve learned here at Websleuths is that families have to be proactive and not expect Law Enforcement to do it all. This article helps families to understand this.

Everything You Need to Know When Your Loved One Goes Missing | Justice In Miami #Justice4Lily

The Resources section on Websleuths has some helpful info. I’ll post a few links:

Families of the Missing-Resources, helps, tips

Tutorial on how to find a missing person

Assistance for Families of the Missing

Orange County Sheriff's Office

UC BERKELEY STUDENT FROM CHAPEL HILL MISSING IN SAN FRANCISCO
Hillsborough, NC (October 4, 2020) – Sydney West, 19, from Chapel Hill, is a student at UC Berkeley California. Living in the San Francisco area since late August, Sydney has not had any contact with friends or family since September 30. Her last known location is in downtown San Francisco near Chrissy Field, close to the Golden Gate Bridge.
“Syd,” as she likes to be called, is likely wearing dark shorts, slip on Vans, and has her hair in a ponytail. She is 5'10", weighs 130 pounds, and has blue eyes and light brown hair. She may be carrying a black backpack.
She has been reported missing with the San Francisco authorities and entered into NCIC as a missing person. The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is asking anyone locally who may have had recent contact with her to call Investigator Ashley Woodlief at (919) 245 – 2909.
San Francisco Police Department
Orange County Sheriff's Office

Sydney "Syd" West, who had been living in the San Francisco area since late-August has not been in any contact with family or friends since Sept. 30, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Her last known location is in downtown San Francisco near Chrissy Field, close to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Chapel Hill native, UC Berkeley student missing in California
Thank you, Lady L. I just read about this on WRAL-TV Online edition. I was going to start a thread but now I don't have too. I live in Apex so this young person grew up close to where I live.

Her Facebook says she went to High. School in Pleasanton Ca.--which is an outer suburb of the Bay Area.

So I am confused about the articles saying she is from Chapel Hill....maybe she lived there until High School?

Or maybe her Mom lives in Chapel Hill and she lived with her dad in Pleasanton for High School.

Her parents would save 100k if she went to high school in Ca instead of NC. Out of state tuition for UC is outrageously high.

Wow ... another beautiful girl gone missing ... someone must have reported where she was last seen and what she was wearing although they don’t seem certain. Praying she turns up quickly ... we have all been here for the alternative. I wonder if they are searching...and maybe more information about her regular activities, and does she have roommates? Will keep checking for updates and report back if I find anything. MOO

Her Facebook says she went to High. School in Pleasanton Ca.--which is an outer suburb of the Bay Area.

So I am confused about the articles saying she is from Chapel Hill....maybe she lived there until High School?

Or maybe her Mom lives in Chapel Hill and she lived with her dad in Pleasanton for High School.

Her parents would save 100k if she went to high school in Ca instead of NC. Out of state tuition for UC is outrageously high.
Most Out-of-State Tuition to any center of learning can be cost prohibitive. Just a side note. I went to then Pfeiffer College Now Pfeiffer University in mid 1970s. It was cheaper to pay out-of-state tuition to PC than pay in-state tuition to most New Jersey State Colleges and Universities!

Do we know who she was with? Was she alone, with friends, did she go on a date? No roommates talking? She has been there since August so, by now, she would have made some friends for sure.
Was anyone able to find her Instagram account?

I was searching for her, and typed in "Sydney West San Francisco" and the first thing that popped up was Crissy Field Beach. Does that mean she was tagged there recently? Maybe that's how they know she was there? I don't see her in any of the pics, but my eyes are not the best.

19-year-old Chapel Hill native missing in San Francisco :: WRAL.com

Sydney West graduated from Carrboro High School last year and has been living in the San Francisco area since late August.

[...]

She has been reported missing with San Francisco authorities and entered into the National Crime Information Center database as a missing person.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone locally who may have had contact with West recently to call investigator Ashley Woodlief at 919-245-2909.

girl-DMID1-5oeyp3fla-640x480.jpg

Nothing concerning on any of her social media. Hopefully additional information is released soon, I don't know any young people who are without their cell phone. What do we know about that and her debit card/bank records? No activity on either would be super concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgieCat