CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(snipped for clarity)
Yes, the lack of publicity is an issue. When I called the SFPD hotline about the CrossFit tip, the person I spoke with had never heard about Sydney. They also didn't know where Crissy Field was, which may have been even more odd.

(rsbm)

I'm baffled that the SFPD hotline would be so clueless about the situation, but also recall a post earlier that Crissy Field is part of the Presidio in SF. Law enforcement and security in the Presidio are provided by the United States Park Police.

I wonder how many tips have been needlessly lost in the hands of SFPD, when citizens are calling-in with tips and being met with a confused response! I know its extra work to make sure they get to the right agency, and I wonder if the park police at least have an open case for SW, seeing as SFPD clearly doesn't?!

MOO.

I could see a 19-year-old going out there early to be on time for a group exercise class that sounded interesting to her.
I think this idea should be followed-up on. September 30th was a Wednesday, hand out flyers and talk to groups who meet in the field on Wednesday mornings.
I know it's like a needle in a haystack, though.

I could see a 19-year-old going out there early to be on time for a group exercise class that sounded interesting to her.
I think this idea should be followed-up on. September 30th was a Wednesday, hand out flyers and talk to groups who meet in the field on Wednesday mornings.
I know it's like a needle in a haystack, though.
I agree. A haystack’s better than an ocean. I’d be checking every single option.

(rsbm)

I'm baffled that the SFPD hotline would be so clueless about the situation, but also recall a post earlier that Crissy Field is part of the Presidio in SF. Law enforcement and security in the Presidio are provided by the United States Park Police.

I wonder how many tips have been needlessly lost in the hands of SFPD, when citizens are calling-in with tips and being met with a confused response! I know its extra work to make sure they get to the right agency, and I wonder if the park police at least have an open case for SW, seeing as SFPD clearly doesn't?!

MOO.
Did you call 415-575-4444? The number on their flyer? If so, this is really bad since any potential tips are being directed there.

I agree with you @WideOpen, I'm also trying to remain an optimist in this case. One thing I noticed is San Francisco Crossfit has been holding limited outdoor classes on weekdays starting at 5:30 am. They're located next to Crissy Field. https://sanfranciscocrossfit.com/updates/
Is it possible to find out if Sydney had signed up for one of these?

In following your lead, I see that Planet Granite - at the Crissy Field location - is open at 6am. Didn't I read somewhere that Syd enjoys yoga? They have two yoga studios.

xx2.JPG

San Francisco | About SF

Planet Granite San Francisco is located in “The Glass Palace” on Crissy Field. Please be careful, there are two Mason Streets in San Francisco! If you do Google our address, please double-check the ZIP code: the correct one is 94129.
San Francisco |

Last edited:
Did you call 415-575-4444? The number on their flyer? If so, this is really bad since any potential tips are being directed there.
Yes, that's the number. They took down the info but I'm not confident it's being taken seriously. I hope someone who lives there can go by CrossFit and Planet Granite too (thanks @SouthAussie) with flyers and ask about her.

It is super unsafe I’m the Marina at 5:30Am with a ton of sketchy cast or characters casing the area for break ins or worse.

In following your lead, I see that Planet Granite - at the Crissy Field location - is open at 6am. Didn't I read somewhere that Syd enjoyed yoga? They have two yoga studios.

View attachment 268460

San Francisco | About SF

Planet Granite San Francisco is located in “The Glass Palace” on Crissy Field. Please be careful, there are two Mason Streets in San Francisco! If you do Google our address, please double-check the ZIP code: the correct one is 94129.
San Francisco |

According to this article, "the non-physical barrier catches between fifty and eighty people each year, and misses about thirty." So the monitoring system they have in place saves about 63%-73% of potential Golden Gate jumpers, leaving around 27-37% to die. However, even Kevin Briggs - the celebrated CHP motorcycle officer who has saved so many people from jumping - didn't support the installation of the physical barriers, saying “The bridge is about beauty. They’re going to jump anyway, and you can’t stop them.” So even though this guy is considered a hero, I'm not too impressed with his over-arching view on this subject.

Kevin Briggs has actually changed his views on the barrier, after talking to someone who lost their daughter to the bridge:

"Briggs said that he personally didn’t favor the measure at first.
"I didn’t want the view ruined, until a gentlemen came up to me and told me that he lost his daughter on the bridge,” Briggs said. “He asked for my view and I told him that the vast majority of folks who come up to the bridge are not suicidal. He then told me that it was between the bridge view or a life. From that point on my view has changed. I think it’s going to be a good thing.”

Source: The Golden Gate Bridge Guardian – Kevin Briggs | The North Wind

Last edited:
He then told me that it was between the bridge view or a life. From that point on my view has changed.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear his POV changed, but surprised he had never previously thought of that glaringly obvious perspective (i.e., choosing between a bridge view or a life).

According to this article, "the non-physical barrier catches between fifty and eighty people each year, and misses about thirty." So the monitoring system they have in place saves about 63%-73% of potential Golden Gate jumpers, leaving around 27-37% to die. However, even Kevin Briggs - the celebrated CHP motorcycle officer who has saved so many people from jumping - didn't support the installation of the physical barriers, saying “The bridge is about beauty. They’re going to jump anyway, and you can’t stop them.” So even though this guy is considered a hero, I'm not too impressed with his over-arching view on this subject.
That article is from 2003, so not surprising a few details have since changed such as Briggs' POV. He has since retired. But it's still a good read and it also inspired the movie The Bridge. Of the three survivors it describes, one eventually returned and jumped (possibly) as a political statement. As for the other two, both were managing their depression. During the fall, one recalled “I instantly realized that everything in my life that I’d thought was unfixable was totally fixable—except for having just jumped.”

Last edited:
Hi all , been catching up on this thread - lots of great, insightful posts! I just wondered if their was clarification on whether Sydney did have a backpack with her when she went missing? I think at first it was mentioned? I feel that would be important in a few different ways - ie she took it for a change of clothes/shoes (perhaps for an early morning yoga/fitness class), she took it to travel or she took it to hide alcohol in (I don't believe she was a big drinker but perhaps if she was depressed)?? All MOO

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear his POV changed, but surprised he had never previously thought of that glaringly obvious perspective (i.e., choosing between a bridge view or a life).
In the SF bay area, many of the young people/teens who want to end their life step in front of moving trains. It doesn't matter whether the community is upscale (such as Palo Alto where Caltrains run through the town) or not (Manteca in the Central Valley) or in between (Pleasanton). Continuous soul destroying crushing school work loads and sleep deprivation play a part. Palo Alto has been cited as the worst and it has been so bad that the CDC has become involved. They've talked about train barriers to prevent people from getting near the tracks, but I am not sure that will solve the underlying problem.

In the SF bay area, many of the young people/teens who want to end their life step in front of moving trains. It doesn't matter whether the community is upscale (such as Palo Alto where Caltrains run through the town) or not (Manteca in the Central Valley) or in between (Pleasanton). Continuous soul destroying crushing school work loads and sleep deprivation play a part. Palo Alto has been cited as the worst and it has been so bad that the CDC has become involved. They've talked about train barriers to prevent people from getting near the tracks, but I am not sure that will solve the underlying problem.

I'm from the Palo Alto area, and am around Syd's age, and I can tell you that there is truly a suicide pandemic in my city. While the train has been discussed frequently in the news, suicide by other methods are sadly just as common. From my high school alone we have lost three students over the last two years, and while there has been a shift among the student body to discuss and reduce the stigma of depression and mental illness, I have not seen a major shift in the habits and practices of teachers and parents. I know this seems off topic, but I view CAL as very similar to this environment- very academically competitive, socially isolating, and extremely easy to get lost as a student.

From the information we have been given it seems evident that Syd attended CAL for the summer session (typically reserved for freshman anyway) and then withdrew or dropped out (a decision she made likely with out consulting her parents). I know that a lot of people in the comments are alluding to suicide and the bridge, but IMO it is equally likely that the pressure at CAL made Sydney want to live off on her own, and it seemed like even before she was reported missing she was a little bit off the grid and maybe even had halted contact with her parents.

The amount of time she has been missing is very shocking and worrisome , and the lack of information the public has been given alludes to the parents already knowing the outcome (I think that fact that her parents are still in NC says the same thing sadly), but I'm still wondering, why even release any information online at all? I think we should all be hopeful, however, as the lack of information could be an effort to give Sydney space.

Off topic but I know someone discussed the "Finsta" earlier- the vast majority of people my age have finsta accounts for their friends only where they share stories, rants, and content that shouldn't be seen on a public account. This is normal and is not really cause for concern in my opinion.

(rsbm)

MOO.

I think the two groups work together, with SFPD maintaining overall track of crimes in SF. After all, there's no evidence that Syd went missing from Crissy - only that her phone pinged there. She could have lost battery or turned off her phone.

At any rate, I don't think the Park Police have an investigations unit and since the Presidio is now part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, I assume it's like other national park areas - shared jurisdiction, with heavy reliance by the Park Police/Rangers on local LE.

From the information we have been given it seems evident that Syd attended CAL for the summer session (typically reserved for freshman anyway) and then withdrew or dropped out (a decision she made likely with out consulting her parents). I know that a lot of people in the comments are alluding to suicide and the bridge, but IMO it is equally likely that the pressure at CAL made Sydney want to live off on her own, and it seemed like even before she was reported missing she was a little bit off the grid and maybe even had halted contact with her parents.

The amount of time she has been missing is very shocking and worrisome , and the lack of information the public has been given alludes to the parents already knowing the outcome (I think that fact that her parents are still in NC says the same thing sadly), but I'm still wondering, why even release any information online at all? I think we should all be hopeful, however, as the lack of information could be an effort to give Sydney space.

Great post! Thanks! I think from this your implying Syd succumbed to depression and ended her life ? Sorry that was the only way I could put that :-( But as you also said why bother posting as parents - but then as a mum I would NEED to know where my daughter was and if she died WHERE/WHY and HOW??

I'm from the Palo Alto area, and am around Syd's age, and I can tell you that there is truly a suicide pandemic in my city. While the train has been discussed frequently in the news, suicide by other methods are sadly just as common. From my high school alone we have lost three students over the last two years, and while there has been a shift among the student body to discuss and reduce the stigma of depression and mental illness, I have not seen a major shift in the habits and practices of teachers and parents. I know this seems off topic, but I view CAL as very similar to this environment- very academically competitive, socially isolating, and extremely easy to get lost as a student.

Off topic but I know someone discussed the "Finsta" earlier- the vast majority of people my age have finsta accounts for their friends only where they share stories, rants, and content that shouldn't be seen on a public account. This is normal and is not really cause for concern in my opinion.

I think there are laws and procedures governing missing persons that have to be followed. Syd's name should go into the national database of missing persons eventually (I haven't checked) but there are protocols in place that all California LE agencies have to follow when a person is reported missing. That includes an online announcement and an alert to other LE agencies.

So, when Syd's parents called the SF police to report her missing, they initiated a chain of events that resulted in all of us knowing that she had been reported missing.

No one knows exactly what happened to Syd, but surely, if her parents knew with certainty that she was no longer alive, they have a duty to tell LE that. But they have to provide evidence.

It's still possible that she has run away. I worked in mental hospitals on the Peninsula for a few years and we'd get patients who were hard to identify, were brought in due to being a danger to self or others, and it would take a while to sort things out. Some of them had come from out of state. Several had absolutely no ID or misleading ID. One woman couldn't come out of her initial confinement cell for more than a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member