CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UC Berkeley is known as a university where students routinely get 50% or below on midterms and the pressure is so great that once or twice every year or so, students jump out of high buildings due to the pressure. It is in a rundown neighborhood. On June 15th, a 19 year old Cal student named Seth Smith was murdered walking at night just outside of campus.

I can't understand why so much pressure was put on Sydney to pursue rowing when she had never even participated in the sport and when the pressure and intensity of academics alone is already so high for the sleep-deprived students at Berkeley. It is described by the Cal student newspaper as toxic Editorial | Stop glorifying UC Berkeley’s workaholic stress culture with 80 hour work week demands.

Rowing seems to be some sort of all encompassing obsession. If you look at this from the internet archive where Sydney's staff photo is posted for the father's company (it takes a while to load), there is even a picture at the top of a rowing team - Team | BioSkryb

Also if you try to click on the Linkedin below Sydney's picture, it seems to have been deleted or at least I can't find it. I'm not a member of Linkedin, but at least when I click the link https://www.linkedin.com/in/sydney-west-/ it says it is not public or does not exist

Last edited:
<RSBM>

Also if you try to click on the Linkedin below Sydney's picture, it seems to have been deleted or at least I can't find it. I'm not a member of Linkedin, but at least when I click the link https://www.linkedin.com/in/sydney-west-/ it says it is not public or does not exist

I am a member. The profile is there. Knows two languages - English and Spanish. The media have already stated everything else that is there.

Why does a student need a Linked In profile?

In Australia, they say just to let the police know. The police will ensure the missing person is who they say they are, and that they are safe.
Then the police will advise the family that the missing person does not want to be found.

That happened with a girl here in Ohio a year or so ago, her mom reported her missing, it turned out she had left on her own, she contacted the police, and they announced she was safe and had left on her own, and they canceled the missing person's alert. I assumed it was the same everywhere.

But why? Do you think they are trying to protect Sydney’s privacy? Based on the way they use the past tense, I don’t think the family believes she has disappeared voluntarily. It’s very puzzling.
Yes. Her privacy and the family's privacy. They have another child, I can totally understand the parents not feeling great about certain private things being made public. I don't doubt they're suffering.

Quote RSBM.

I have to respectfully disagree. We have cases here where parents have described not knowing what happened to their child as unending torture.

Yes an adult is allowed to start a new life and doesn't owe anyone anything. But ideally you just let them know you're okay. Write a letter. Of course you don't have to call.
I’m assuming that, if she left on her own, it could be triggering/traumatizing to see posts like “call your mom.” I completely understand that the parents are suffering, but my statement was only geared towards protecting Sydney. We’re all hoping for a voluntary disappearance. If that’s the case, she’s probably feeling a lot of guilt.

I’m assuming that, if she left on her own, it could be triggering/traumatizing to see posts like “call your mom.” I completely understand that the parents are suffering, but my statement was only geared towards protecting Sydney. We’re all hoping for a voluntary disappearance. If that’s the case, she’s probably feeling a lot of guilt.
I don't think "call your parents" is the best policy either. I hope she's okay and she decides to let LE know that she is alive and just wants to be left alone. LE can and should deal it with from there and inform her parents. I remember a case of a girl that was reported missing when she was still underage, when she turned 18 or 21 she called LE and let them know she was okay and just wanted to be left alone, I believe LE went and met her, to see if she was actually okay and not being coerced into making that call, and then let her parents know that she was okay but didn't want to have any contact with them. I don't remember the name of the girl, though.

But why? Do you think they are trying to protect Sydney’s privacy? Based on the way they use the past tense, I don’t think the family believes she has disappeared voluntarily. It’s very puzzling.

Pbi- I think that as parents to see your teen daughter's life, writing, mental health etc scrutinized, dissected and discussed would feel very invasive. I do think they are trying to be protective of Syd, her little sister and their family. If Syd disappeared voluntarily and were to see what is out there on the internet about her, it could be triggering to either keep herself hidden or drive her to do something worse. Her little sister is probably already traumatized and parents might not want her to read or hear from friends about any issues Syd may have been experiencing or what people are thinking happened to her. Just my opinion. I truly hope she is safe and lets her parents know she is ok. This is a parent's worst nightmare. I feel for her family.

Pbi- I think that as parents to see your teen daughter's life, writing, mental health etc scrutinized, dissected and discussed would feel very invasive. I do think they are trying to be protective of Syd, her little sister and their family. If Syd disappeared voluntarily and were to see what is out there on the internet about her, it could be triggering to either keep herself hidden or drive her to do something worse. Her little sister is probably already traumatized and parents might not want her to read or hear from friends about any issues Syd may have been experiencing or what people are thinking happened to her. Just my opinion. I truly hope she is safe and lets her parents know she is ok. This is a parent's worst nightmare. I feel for her family.

It is an absolute nightmare for the family. I can’t imagine what they are going through. And I understand the desire to protect privacy...but I’m trying to reconcile that with the kernel of hope that information about the immediate circumstances of her disappearance might lead to answers. I’m also confused about the changes to her description almost a week after her disappearance. Others have suggested that an updated description was based on CCTV , but where did the earlier one come from?

also, what is PBI? I’m new here & trying figure out all the acronyms! :)

It is an absolute nightmare for the family. I can’t imagine what they are going through. And I understand the desire to protect privacy...but I’m trying to reconcile that with the kernel of hope that information about the immediate circumstances of her disappearance might lead to answers. I’m also confused about the changes to her description almost a week after her disappearance. Others have suggested that an updated description was based on CCTV , but where did the earlier one come from?

also, what is PBI? I’m new here & trying figure out all the acronyms! :)

PBI= Politely Butting In

I follow a few cases on here closely, but I don't post much that's why when I do post I feel like im butting in. lol

Also, what description changed about Syd... her shorts color?

PBI= Politely Butting In

I follow a few cases on here closely, but I don't post much that's why when I do post I feel like im butting in. lol

Initially it was reported that Sydney was last seen wearing a sweatshirt, white athletic shorts, and blue Vans. There was no mention of who saw her last, or when, or where. The description was later updated to leggings and maybe added that she was wearing her hair in a bun.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Another thing about the facebook page that I mentioned earlier is that there are actually two facebook pages. One I believe is run by the family and another is run by someone who I don't believe is directly connected to SW. I found that information about the dad on the latter. That page is full of people sharing theories and opinions, and not a lot of that stuff is helpful, but a few times when strangers have passed judgement friends and family have come to SW's defense and in their responses they share a little bit more about what happened.

Here is quote from a friend of hers "Syds Dad immediately flew to SF to investigate on his own, spoke with everyone Syd knew. Stayed in the area she was last seen for a week personally asking anyone if they saw anything???. She disappeared before sunrise, it was foggy. That’s all the info allowed to be given"

I had one other thought, sorry, this post is all over the place. I really do believe they have a lead with a roommate or ex roommate as we really haven't heard anything at all from either the family or news. This sort of reminds me of the Naya Rivera situation honestly in terms of the way they are handling it and the lack of information.

RBBM

Oh, dear. Foggy weather makes personal attacks easier, IMO.

Praying SW is found soon.

Initially it was reported that Sydney was last seen wearing a sweatshirt, white athletic shorts, and blue Vans. There was no mention of who saw her last, or when, or where. The description was later updated to leggings and maybe added that she was wearing her hair in a bun.

Ok, yes i saw that. It could be that LE is keeping the who when and where info close to the chest for whatever reason. *There is a reason they believe she disappeared before sunrise. IMO LE didn't pull that info out of thin air.

Also, I would think at 5'10" whatever she was wearing or however her hair was styled she would be noticed. JMO

ETA *

PBI= Politely Butting In

I too didn’t know what that meant. But please don’t ever feel like you butt in. That’s one of the things I like about here, so many different people from different backgrounds brainstorming together.

And I personally don’t mind when questions are asked over and over because honestly, it keeps whoever we are discussing from fading into the cold case abyss. I get so frustrated and sad when I see the lack of coverage of many cases even when the family is begging for help. Sex, race, religion, economic status, etc should not matter. A life is a life! So the more people in on the conversation keeping hope alive, the better IMO.

Thank you for sharing :)

I too didn’t know what that meant. But please don’t ever feel like you butt in. That’s one of the things I like about here, so many different people from different backgrounds brainstorming together.

And I personally don’t mind when questions are asked over and over because honestly, it keeps whoever we are discussing from fading into the cold case abyss. I get so frustrated and sad when I see the lack of coverage of many cases even when the family is begging for help. Sex, race, religion, economic status, etc should not matter. A life is a life! So the more people in on the conversation keeping hope alive, the better IMO.

Thank you for sharing :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that! :)

Is there a possibility that Syd could be in Pleasanton?

I don't know. What we do know is that at the beginning of the semester she was in the dorms at UC Berkeley. The NY Times says only 150 athletes, mostly football players, out of the 850 athletes are in Berkeley due to cancellation of athletics Solving a Pandemic Puzzle: Inside the Return of Sports to a Power 5 Program because of COVID. Also the article states that only 2000 out of 9000 students are on campus (the classes are delivered online; food is to-go with no eating in dining halls). Why she chose to live in the dorms is a mystery when most are at home. Also why she dropped out is a mystery (did the parents make her when rowing was canceled or did she drop out on her own initiative). I would expect that when she dropped out she must have given Berkeley some sort of forwarding address, don't you think? The chancellor of Berkeley Carol Christ did an "ask me anything" 10/20 and when a student asked about Sydney West replied Berkeley has to respect the privacy wishes of the family.

Last edited:
I don't know. What we do know is that at the beginning of the semester she was in the dorms at UC Berkeley. The NY Times says only 150 athletes, mostly football players, out of the 850 athletes are in Berkeley due to cancellation of athletics Solving a Pandemic Puzzle: Inside the Return of Sports to a Power 5 Program because of COVID. Also the article states that only 2000 out of 9000 students are on campus (the classes are delivered online; food is to-go with no eating in dining halls). Why she chose to live in the dorms is a mystery when most are at home. Also why she dropped out is a mystery (did the parents make her when rowing was canceled or did she drop out on her own initiative). I would expect that when she dropped out she must have given Berkeley some sort of forwarding address, don't you think? The chancellor of Berkeley Carol Christ did an "ask me anything" 10/20 and when a student asked about Sydney West replied Berkeley has to respect the privacy wishes of the family.
I wish they’d release her address at the very least, so people in that area and along the route she would’ve taken could check security footage (probably erased by now). I don’t trust the SFPD to do a thorough canvassing.

I was able to find a cached text-only version of the Medium post. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to post the screenshot of it, but the whole thing is there. It must have been very recently deleted.

I hope with everything I have that it was Syd that deleted that post, and that her family is trying to figure out the next steps in bringing her home. I still don't have a good feeling about it, but it actually feels like there could be a possibility.

EDIT: Some info about government takedown requests from the medium website:

Government Takedown Requests
If Medium receives a request from a government actor to restrict access to content associated with your account, we will notify you unless we are prohibited by law or believe doing so may endanger others. Where applicable, we will work to limit legally-ordered content restrictions to jurisdictions where we have a good faith belief that we are legally required to restrict the content. Medium submits to the Lumen database government requests to restrict access to content (redacted where appropriate to protect privacy or prevent harm to a person).

We may enforce, or not enforce, these policies at our sole discretion. These policies don’t create a duty or contractual obligation for us to act.
How were you able to find the text only cashed version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TawnyTRC