CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Right, the hotel detail was glossed over. Wish Nancy questioned Dudek harder. Most of what he said didn’t make sense in my opinion. Also, not quite sure what a kid loving nature has to do with her being at the bridge. I thought that was a weird comment too.

There's some nature around the bridge like hiking trails in the Presidio, a small patch of woods, Crissy Field, trails to Marshall Beach and Baker Beach and the Marin Headlands on the other side of the bridge. At least I think that's what he could have meant by that. Though the nature makes up much larger section on the Marin side and could be easy to get lost in.

This is from the official public website (for clarity, in case I recalled the PI interview incorrectly):

WHEN WAS SYDNEY REPORTED MISSING?
She was reported missing to the Orange County, North Carolina police on Oct. 1, 2020.

WHAT CAUSED HER FAMILY TO REPORT HER MISSING?
Sydney is very close with her family and speaks with them regularly. She had a lengthy phone conversation with her dad the evening of Sept. 29 and he fully expected to speak with her the next day. When he was unable to reach her after multiple attempts he became worried and the family contacted the authorities.
I think you recalled the interview correctly; there are just a lot of inconsistencies in this case (like living with family friends v. couch-surfing v. staying in a hotel).

I think you recalled the interview correctly; there are just a lot of inconsistencies in this case (like living with family friends v. couch-surfing v. staying in a hotel).
I agree with you on the inconsistencies. But also I wonder why sijmple things like the name of the hotel are kept secret. There has been no explanation as to why the actual name of the hotel or even a description of a vague explanation of where the hotel is located (e.g. the XXXX block of ZZZZ Avenue) has never been released. You would think that if they named the hotel, someone staying there may be reminded of a conversation or may remember what they saw.

I agree with you on the inconsistencies. But also I wonder why simple things like the name of the hotel are kept secret. There has been no explanation as to why the actual name of the hotel or even a description of a vague explanation of where the hotel is located (e.g. the XXXX block of ZZZZ Avenue) has never been released. You would think that if they named the hotel, someone staying there may be reminded of a conversation or may remember what they saw.

I wondered the same thing. Even the name of the neighborhood or District of the hotel (or wherever) she was staying at could be helpful.

I wondered the same thing. Even the name of the neighborhood or District of the hotel (or wherever) she was staying at could be helpful.
I also wonder why it took almost 6 months for the detail about the hotel to be released. It circulated as a rumor for a long time before it was confirmed, like the missing backpack.

If we piece together the “emotional” phone call with her dad, her last known sighting being at the bridge and the fact that she’s still missing, it does look like suicide and it seems like that’s what the family believes but doesn’t want to admit.

What if the emotional phone call was just a big ugly fight? What if they found out about her dropping out? I believe the family has some secrets and I respect that, I don’t want to know what they don’t want to tell, but I’ve just been thinking about this case and I think the family is just trying to save face because they don’t look good in my opinion.

But then, I can totally see her just disappearing on purpose because she didn’t want to face her parents and because she wanted to live a life without pressure, judgment, etc. I do hope she’s still alive, safe and happy. I feel for her, it sounds like she was never allowed to be free and be who she wanted to be.

If we piece together the “emotional” phone call with her dad, her last known sighting being at the bridge and the fact that she’s still missing, it does look like suicide and it seems like that’s what the family believes but doesn’t want to admit.

What if the emotional phone call was just a big ugly fight? What if they found out about her dropping out? I believe the family has some secrets and I respect that, I don’t want to know what they don’t want to tell, but I’ve just been thinking about this case and I think the family is just trying to save face because they don’t look good in my opinion.

But then, I can totally see her just disappearing on purpose because she didn’t want to face her parents and because she wanted to live a life without pressure, judgment, etc. I do hope she’s still alive, safe and happy. I feel for her, it sounds like she was never allowed to be free and be who she wanted to be.
And adding to your pieces: references to depression in her writings and songs, a concussion ,dropping out of school, staying in a hotel at least the night before, and her backpack being found by the bridge. Plus I'm sure after taking a gap year there was added pressure to make this school year work.

Perfectly said. The phone call definitely had more to it and most likely played a role in her disappearance. It definitely could have been an argument but I don’t think we will ever know.

Her parents and her had a rocky relationship we know this from Sydney’s Reddit/Twitter/friends, so that is certainly not out of the realm of possibility. We also know her parents do not want anything that makes them look imperfect out there, so if there was an argument I could see them withholding that information. Which in all honesty could provide some more insight on her mindset or help solve the case. At this point I think more information would certainly not hurt. It’s been six months with no substantial leads or updates. LE hasn’t even commented on it. I think they should release more information and clarity.

Her parents behavior along with the many inconsistencies in details/important information leads me to believe they think she jumped but like countless have said are either trying to save face or don’t want to admit it.

Last edited:
And adding to your pieces: references to depression in her writings and songs, a concussion ,dropping out of school, staying in a hotel at least the night before, and her backpack being found by the bridge. Plus I'm sure after taking a gap year there was added pressure to make this school year work.
I think it is interesting that they were so vague on the official Find Sydney West website about where her backpack was found. I would not be surprised at all if it was actually found on the bridge. I know there was talk of that for a while.

Last edited:
There's some nature around the bridge like hiking trails in the Presidio, a small patch of woods, Crissy Field, trails to Marshall Beach and Baker Beach and the Marin Headlands on the other side of the bridge. At least I think that's what he could have meant by that. Though the nature makes up much larger section on the Marin side and could be easy to get lost in.
I definitely thought of that but I think Scott Dudek/Kim&Jay would have mentioned if she went to any of those locations or anywhere nature-y that morning or if she had plans to.

I agree with you on the inconsistencies. But also I wonder why sijmple things like the name of the hotel are kept secret. There has been no explanation as to why the actual name of the hotel or even a description of a vague explanation of where the hotel is located (e.g. the XXXX block of ZZZZ Avenue) has never been released. You would think that if they named the hotel, someone staying there may be reminded of a conversation or may remember what they saw.
On the official Find Sydney West Facebook page, her parents said there are details they are keeping private to protect their family and Sydney’s privacy. I won’t go into it to follow Terms of Services but I think the circumstances leading up to her disappearance have given them reason to not give details like the name of where she was staying because they are worried of additional details being found out.

I also wonder why it took almost 6 months for the detail about the hotel to be released. It circulated as a rumor for a long time before it was confirmed, like the missing backpack.
There are so many “rumors” in this case that have been proven to be true. The backpack being found, her staying at the hotel, her getting there by an Uber, Sydney using a burner phone (which Kimberly West so adamantly denied at first)...so far all of the “rumors” have actually been true. I wish they would confirm or deny some of the others but don’t think they will because they are likely true and they are worried about how the truth would taint their image.

It’s a very tough situation. She most likely jumped I hope by some miracle her body or some evidence will be found but highly doubt it.

So many details have taken more time than they should to come out

-Her last known location. It was said that she was last seen in the Chrissy Fields area then about a month later they revealed it was the GGB although her parents likely knew much earlier than that that that’s where she was last seen because they were tracking her phone.
-Took 6 months to confirm hotel detail
-Took 4 months for parents to release photo of vans Sydney was wearing
-Took 6 months to confirm backpack was found
-Took 6 months to say she took an Uber

I could continue but just have found this odd. I still think they obviously are keeping things private (like they straight up said) but at this point everyone knows. They should just come forward and be forthcoming. It could help solve this case!

So many details have taken more time than they should to come out

-Her last known location. It was said that she was last seen in the Chrissy Fields area then about a month later they revealed it was the GGB although her parents likely knew much earlier than that that that’s where she was last seen because they were tracking her phone.
-Took 6 months to confirm hotel detail
-Took 4 months for parents to release photo of vans Sydney was wearing
-Took 6 months to confirm backpack was found
-Took 6 months to say she took an Uber

I could continue but just have found this odd. I still think they obviously are keeping things private (like they straight up said) but at this point everyone knows. They should just come forward and be forthcoming. It could help solve this case!
Very well said. Her withdrawal from Berkeley took some time to come out as well, I believe (though it was weeks, not months). They still haven’t confirmed the date of withdrawal.

Very well said. Her withdrawal from Berkeley took some time to come out as well, I believe (though it was weeks, not months). They still haven’t confirmed the date of withdrawal.
It’s almost as if her parents/Scott Dudek were trying to keep as much ambiguous or unknown as possible and as more people started hearing about the case more information started coming out and they had to confirm/answer some things that came out.

It’s almost as if her parents/Scott Dudek were trying to keep as much ambiguous or unknown as possible and as more people started hearing about the case more information started coming out and they had to confirm/answer some things that came out.
Agree. I wish Dudek or Sydney’s parents would actually go on a televised interview

All of this is consistent with LE considering this to be a suicide. Or a voluntary disappearance.

In either case, we don't need "more information" and LE would not provide it.
I think LE believes it’s suicide because they referenced mental health crises when discussing Sydney’s case. That’s the only comment that has been made by the SFPD in regards to this case.

also, a woman in the comments of the video I linked below mentioned that her husband worked on the case. I thought the past tense was interesting. At the time of this comment Sydney had only been missing for about 3 months that’s not enough time for tons of detectives and officers to have the chance to work on her case especially because it doesn’t seem active. I may just be reading into it but this comment makes me believe that LE is not actively working this case and have likely ruled Sydney’s case as voluntary/ self harm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back