CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The official Find Sydney West Facebook page and website honestly have resembled a memorial site. They post updates about her little sister moving into her room and getting rid of some of her stuff, the post with the rainbow over the bridge and whale, post her music, these all kind of seem more like they’re celebrating and remember Sydney’s life rather than conducting a search or looking for a missing person.

This case. Vexing, frustrating - where is she??

I think it's important to remember the majority of questions people post on Webslueth are easily answered by Syd's parents, but they choose to keep this information private, as they have mentioned in numerous MSM released statements and their own produced short videos. The only unknown is where Syd remains at this moment in time. The moments leading up to Sept. 30th are known, just not shared. Remember that when you spend your own precious time trying to figure out where Syd is. I'll check in on this thread in a few months, but I don't want to play this cat and mouse game with facts that are willfully being withheld for reasons I simply don't understand. IMO

I think it's important to remember the majority of questions people post on Webslueth are easily answered by Syd's parents, but they choose to keep this information private, as they have mentioned in numerous MSM released statements and their own produced short videos. The only unknown is where Syd remains at this moment in time. The moments leading up to Sept. 30th are known, just not shared. Remember that when you spend your own precious time trying to figure out where Syd is. I'll check in on this thread in a few months, but I don't want to play this cat and mouse game with facts that are willfully being withheld for reasons I simply don't understand. IMO
I agree, that’s how I am starting to feel. I love how you phrased that. Now that money is involved I think it is crucial that they be more forthcoming and share what they know.

Someone compared this case to when someone posts something on social media saying “I am so upset” and when people respond and say “I am here for you. What’s wrong?” Or “Do you want to talk?” They say “I don’t want to talk about it”. It’s frustrating because they say they want help but their actions say otherwise.

I also wonder how much her parents know about her activities leading up to her disappearance. Her mother Kimberly strongly denied there was a burner phone but it turns out Sydney did have a burner phone so they may not really have clarity. However, I couldn’t agree with you more and know they are definitely withholding that information because “their life and Sydney’s life is not up for examination” and they need to “preserve their families and Sydney’s privacy” and that it “won’t help bring Sydney home”.

I can’t understand how sharing the leading events up to her disappearance “won’t help bring her home...“ It’s almost as if they know she jumped and are trying to maintain reputation?

Last edited:
Agree! I think it’s really unfortunate because I think the lack of transparency has pushed many away who could have helped. I never will understand why it has been handled this way but hope they receive some sort of closure. The way things are looking now it seems as if Syd’s disappearance will never be solved.

Agree! I think it’s really unfortunate because I think the lack of transparency has pushed many away who could have helped. I never will understand why it has been handled this way but hope they receive some sort of closure. The way things are looking now it seems as if Syd’s disappearance will never be solved.
It’s sad because I want to keep searching and trying to piece things together for Syd’s sake but it’s near impossible when those who know potentially helpful information are so hostile and difficult to get information out of. Really sad story for so many reasons...

It is my opinion that this case has already been solved. What's happening now, in my opinion, is something different. But others may feel this is an abduction case and for those people, I hope they are provided with the known, existing evidence.

It is my opinion that this case has already been solved. What's happening now, in my opinion, is something different. But others may feel this is an abduction case and for those people, I hope they are provided with the known, existing evidence.
Totally! I think it just technically cannot be closed by SFPD and ruled a suicide because her body has not been found. The SFPD can’t rule someone’s disappearance as a suicide even if someone witnesses them jumping.

According to the Marin County February 2021 monthly newspaper, there were 4 unconfirmed jumpers at the GGB in 2020. I think Sydney is one of these four unconfirmed jumpers to be honest. If you look at all of the other missing person profiles from those who go missing on/around the bridge in 2020, you will notice that Sydney’s case has some of the strongest indicators of suicide out of all of the GGB/CF area disappearances in 2020.

This is why I amongst many others believe Sydney is one of the 4 unconfirmed jumpers of 2020.

According to the Marin County February 2021 monthly newspaper, there were 4 unconfirmed jumpers at the GGB in 2020. I think Sydney is one of these four unconfirmed jumpers to be honest. If you look at all of the other missing person profiles from those who go missing on/around the bridge in 2020, you will notice that Sydney’s case has some of the strongest indicators of suicide out of all of the GGB/CF area disappearances in 2020.

This is why I amongst many others believe Sydney is one of the 4 unconfirmed jumpers of 2020.
Oh for sure. This would maybe explain why Scott Dudek said SFPD doesn’t have enough compassion and why they literally have no said a word in reference to Sydney’s case (except the comment about them dealing with many mental health crises)

Well said; this case has been very frustrating and I’m at the point where my “precious time” as you said is being spent trying to find answers that won’t come unless her parents share them. Groups that came up with “rumors” that were eventually confirmed as true were accused of being hurtful, forced to shut down, etc., so it’s been an exercise in futility to try to get meaningful answers, and a frustrating and at times mystifying experience to watch it all play out. Her family is acting like she’s not coming back, and I hope they can find peace and some resolution.

There are so many “rumors” in this case that have been proven to be true. The backpack being found, her staying at the hotel, her getting there by an Uber, Sydney using a burner phone (which Kimberly West so adamantly denied at first)...so far all of the “rumors” have actually been true. I wish they would confirm or deny some of the others but don’t think they will because they are likely true and they are worried about how the truth would taint their image.

It’s a very tough situation. She most likely jumped I hope by some miracle her body or some evidence will be found but highly doubt it.
It s also said she was in a mental hospital. It was read in another page they ordered to remove.
Parents don't mention that, nor do they answer questions about that, but they don't deny it either.

I agree, that’s how I am starting to feel. I love how you phrased that. Now that money is involved I think it is crucial that they be more forthcoming and share what they know.

Someone compared this case to when someone posts something on social media saying “I am so upset” and when people respond and say “I am here for you. What’s wrong?” Or “Do you want to talk?” They say “I don’t want to talk about it”. It’s frustrating because they say they want help but their actions say otherwise.

YES!!!! Exactly

Except for the fact that abandoning a backpack is part of a narrative about suicide - on the Golden Gate Bridge.

Sure, it could be a random event, but as the sole clue released, it's tragic and sobering. How would you know who first came across and turned it in? Most people are honest and will turn in a backpack - esp. on GG Bridge.

I am a bit flabbergasted that you think the finding of her backpack (without her attached to it) is not significant.

How did she depart from her backpack?

The 4 unconfirmed suicides in 2020 are also in this report from the Golden Gate bridge authority (page 5)... https://www.goldengate.org/assets/1/6/SDS_Stakeholder_Update_Feb_2021.pdf There were 24 confirmed suicides and 185 interventions by the bridge patrol in 2020 stated in the report as well.

Well said; this case has been very frustrating and I’m at the point where my “precious time” as you said is being spent trying to find answers that won’t come unless her parents share them. Groups that came up with “rumors” that were eventually confirmed as true were accused of being hurtful, forced to shut down, etc., so it’s been an exercise in futility to try to get meaningful answers, and a frustrating and at times mystifying experience to watch it all play out. Her family is acting like she’s not coming back, and I hope they can find peace and some resolution.
On one hand they talk about 'privacy,' but on the other hand they posted to the world about Sydney being stood up at the last minute by her prom date in high school. I can't understand the mindset of not releasing key details that might reveal what actually happened to her, yet revealing this embarrassing 'being stood up story' which was no doubt a painful episode in this girl's life (as well as being completely irrelevant).

I agree there have been contradictions-current Berkeley student vs ex-Berkeley student (so that Orange County NC had to re-release the missing persons press with a correction the next day after UC Berkeley police tweeted she was an ex-student), contradictions on where she was last seen---first Crissy field then a full month later on the Golden Gate bridge at 6:45 AM, contradictions on who she was staying with and where - San Francisco, Livermore with family friends, couch surfing in Pleasanton - can't seem to agree on that one so which if any of these is actually true....maybe none are. At one time they stated she was playing open mic nights after she dropped out of Berkeley, but never named the locations or dates, nor the timeframe or the name of the Berkeley dorm she lived in. And saying the backpack was found in the vicinity of the Golden Gate bridge is again vague....when was it found and where?

Last edited:
One of her friends said her depression was prevalent in high school.
It could have gone back many years. In the Carrboro high school newspaper, Sydney was interviewed her junior year and she sounds like she is overscheduled, anxious and stressed. Here is the link Strength in the classroom and on the court

In the high school article above, between her intense academic workload and athletics, she says she is so busy she doesn't have free time for any hobbies she would like to pursue. Volleyball practices are 2 hours after school each day. There are two games per week and there is considerable travel time for 'away' games.

It s also said she was in a mental hospital. It was read in another page they ordered to remove.
Parents don't mention that, nor do they answer questions about that, but they don't deny it either.
They were quick to deny the burner phone when Syd actually used one. Her parents not ever addressing the rumored suicide attempt speaks volumes.

The official Find Sydney West Facebook page and website honestly have resembled a memorial site. They post updates about her little sister moving into her room and getting rid of some of her stuff, the post with the rainbow over the bridge and whale, post her music, these all kind of seem more like they’re celebrating and remember Sydney’s life rather than conducting a search or looking for a missing person.
Exactly my impression! I've been saying it's a walk down memory lane from baby pictures, trips, volleyball, prom, singing to celebrating Berkeley. There's more postings today of her music. A lot of sharing of personal events for a family that wants to protect their privacy. The focus doesn't seem to be helping to find a missing person but instead oversharing the appearance of a very happy normal girl with a lot of talents and interests. While this may be true, there is a darker side to Syd they don't want to admit or confirm at least publicly because that would point to the possibility of running away or suicide. It's all about image. With so little shared and no leads they are losing people who really want to help find Syd.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back