CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, Univ of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sep 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In my opinion after watching and reading parents videos and comments in social media, I think it's more about suicide and mental illness taboo than a denial.

Can anyone here think of a case where a woman's parents have solicited the public's help in locating their missing/abducted daughter via social media and short self-produced videos, for months and months on end, but completely refused to give any formal interviews, in any form of media, whatsoever? Putting aside the theories as to why they are handling it this way, has anyone ever seen it done before? I'm wondering if it's common and I'm just unaware of it.

Arguing that someone could point a gun at her from a car and she would see that - but not see a railing - is yet another internal inconsistency.

Also, I think people keep forgetting it was dark outside. The sun had not yet risen. The Youtuber says "Someone has to know something", and that just isn't true. They probably know what Syd was wearing from the hotel footage.

Given the shoes she was wearing, and she was carrying a backpack, she more than likely didn't go to the bridge in the dark to exercise. And given that she grew up in the area, she wasn't sightseeing in the dark, either.

From the information that's been released, there is zero evidence of an abduction.

Last edited:
Here are some thoughts on them not doing interviews, answering certain questions about Syd’s life, and any other actions of theirs:

They are both active figures within the community they live. Chapel Hill has a very high pressure culture and families feel they have to act like they’re perfect... perfect lives, perfect grades, perfect jobs, e.t.c.

It would likely be extremely hard to keep composure in an interview setting and some people don’t like that vulnerability being shown. Especially in Chapel Hill. Especially if they’re well-known community members and accomplished professionals.

Also, IMO, their faith is in officials such as law enforcement and private investigators to theorize circumstances. And they only want the public to participate by keeping an eye out and spreading awareness.

I get the sense that they do not agree with online sleuthing. In fact, the mother alluded to this.

Therefore, they only want to offer concrete details about the circumstance.

Here are some thoughts on them not doing interviews, answering certain questions about Syd’s life, and any other actions of theirs:

They are both active figures within the community they live. Chapel Hill has a very high pressure culture and families feel they have to act like they’re perfect... perfect lives, perfect grades, perfect jobs, e.t.c.

It would likely be extremely hard to keep composure in an interview setting and some people don’t like that vulnerability being shown. Especially in Chapel Hill. Especially if they’re well-known community members and accomplished professionals.

Also, IMO, their faith is in officials such as law enforcement and private investigators to theorize circumstances. And they only want the public to participate by keeping an eye out and spreading awareness.

I get the sense that they do not agree with online sleuthing. In fact, the mother alluded to this.

Really, Chapel Hill culture is toxic. I grew up there and it made it’s way into my bones. With all the universities in the area (Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake), the adults working for the universities, the STEM culture...

Your worth is based on your academic and fiscal performance, as well as your veil of perfection. I experienced a LOTTT of ableism growing up in CH; because of those focuses.

I’m not saying that’s what these parents are (!!!), but that is the culture of the area that you feel the need to uphold. Perfection.

Your worth is based on your academic and fiscal performance, as well as your veil of perfection. I experienced a LOTTT of ableism growing up in CH; because of those focuses.

I hope Syd's truth, whatever it is, is honored. If she was struggling with depression and life's pressures, her story could save lives. If that is, in fact, her truth and her story.

I personally dont think shopping was her priority. I think she was here solely for sightseeing. Shopping was possibly a small perk for being in the city. Her choice for which hotel to stay in was also possibly influenced by price as well. SF hotels are known for being expesive and frankly Hilton in Union Square has always been known to be a little more expensive than the other Hilton hotels in the other parts of the City. But either way No matter where you stay in the city, it's fairly easy to get around. I work close to the Hilton they're talking about and the Powell Street Bart Station is not to far from there which is a very busy Bart station which would help her get around anyone she pleases in the city. And frankly the area around the Hilton has few things she could check out as well.

Really, Chapel Hill culture is toxic. I grew up there and it made it’s way into my bones. With all the universities in the area (Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake), the adults working for the universities, the STEM culture...

I’m not saying that’s what these parents are (!!!), but that is the culture of the area that you feel the need to uphold. Perfection.
I have to agree with you @lilacs. Families often do move to Chapel Hill/Carrboro specifically for the schools, as it's probably the leading public school system in the state. But is it a more competitive culture than the Bay area, where they were previously? That's hard to say.

It is unclear. However, the New Yorker article on Golden Gate suicides indicate that often times someone considering jumping will put the backpack, briefcase or wallet they are carrying down beside them. Jumpers This signals the monitors of the bridge that they may have someone on the bridge that might jump. It is doubtful that the cameras would have picked this up since 6:45 AM was before sunrise and it was foggy/smoky from the wildfires that day.

Abandoned cars/bikes and abandoned personal items often times are the only clues left that a person has in fact jumped when there are no eyewitnesses.

Imo, those who leave personal effects behind are making a poignant and final statement- "I was here, now I'm gone."

I agree. Plus it's no secret when family members speak out in the press it often doesn't go well for them, and becomes a distraction they don't need nor want.

I also agree about online sleuthing. The investigators in several cases also have mentioned it, and how it takes up their time when they are sent theories without any evidence. They've also said rumors, and speculation slows them down because they must read everything that is sent to them or called in even if it ends in being totally useless, and a waste of their time.

I can't remember one at the moment that pleased the masses when they spoke to the media about their missing loved one.

Sadly, then the subject discussions become more about scrutinizing the family members rather than concentrating on their missing loved one.

I'm sure this family is aware of how other family members were unfairly treated when speaking to the media. So often it becomes more about criticizing how they looked or how they spoke or how they cried or didn't cry, and sometimes it even includes how they were dressed.

I haven't seen one case where family members of a missing love who did speak out to the media (with many making several interviews) that pleased the majority. It's really sad because often the majority negative opinions don't even know the missing love one nor their family personally.

Maybe they feel they can get the message out by postings on social media where they have more control over what is posted. Many have the ability to remove hateful remarks or those who gives their theories without any evidence to back any of it up. They also can reach many more people this way. If they do speak to the press sometimes it can only reach local viewers since not every case or interview of a missing person gains the attention of the national media where the media wants to do several interviews with the family. I think they think it gives them more control doing it this way.

We have over 50k people who go missing every year. We only hear about a tiny minority of them.

Imo, Due to the times with so much negativity I think we will see more family members of missing love ones who will decide do it this way rather than doing interviews with the press.

Jmho

Vintage clothing stores and small businesses/boutiques of that sort are mainly located in places like Santa Cruz, and if they are in SF they would not be located in the Financial District but in the Haight or Castro, for example. The retail rent per square footage is extremely high in SF such that over 1000 stores have closed permanently during the pandemic. Smaller stores have had to be closed until very recently except for curb side pickup because the footprint of the floor space is too small to accommodate social distancing.

The revelation that she was in the Hilton at the Financial District would open up more questions...I would assume some security cameras would have picked up her image there since it is a major hotel chain. Did security cameras capture her image? Did she check out that morning, were any purchased items found in the room, was there luggage or any wheeled suitcase left in the room or did she travel there and check in with just the back pack?

We have stayed at that hotel several times, because it was the cheapest option where I also felt safe. There are cameras everywhere, and as SF is known for car break-ins, that was important to us.

I could watch the elderly people in Chinatown doing Tai Chi at the park nearby, from my window. It's not too far from City Lights Bookstore. Easy to get to the Haight by bus (or the Castro).

My concern, though, is why she was in The City in the first place, and why the early morning trip to the vicinity of the GGB. Her reddit and other SM posts were concerning all along. This is such a sad, sad story.

I personally dont think shopping was her priority. I think she was here solely for sightseeing. Shopping was possibly a small perk for being in the city. Her choice for which hotel to stay in was also possibly influenced by price as well. SF hotels are known for being expesive and frankly Hilton in Union Square has always been known to be a little more expensive than the other Hilton hotels in the other parts of the City. But either way No matter where you stay in the city, it's fairly easy to get around. I work close to the Hilton they're talking about and the Powell Street Bart Station is not to far from there which is a very busy Bart station which would help her get around anyone she pleases in the city. And frankly the area around the Hilton has few things she could check out as well.

I also noticed that the Hilton in the Financial District is closer to the Piers and Embarcadero (which is another touristy area, also has more gift stores) and the Coit Tower is nearby too (another landmark). I wonder what she bought, if they found anything left in her hotel room, or if she did spend time with anyone else the day before and how she would've acted.

Last edited:
I also noticed that the Hilton in the Financial District is closer to the Piers and Embarcadero (which is another touristy area, also has more gift stores) and the Coit Tower is nearby too (another landmark). I wonder what she bought, if they found anything left in her hotel room, or if she did spend time with anyone else the day before and how she would've acted.
It would be good to know
- when she checked in.
- where her backpack was found
- when her check out date was
- what was left in her hotel room
<modsnip: No MSM or approved source to support this statement>

Last edited by a moderator:
Many hotels are still closed and those that are open are maybe at 5% occupancy. For more info see this recent news story Experts weigh in on what it'll take to get tourists back in San Francisco and How will San Francisco's downtown Financial District bring employees back to work in high-rise offices?
All hotels were closed to tourists until Sept 14th of last year per the public health COVID order, but some were open to essential travelers (not sure exactly what that means) prior to that. Many attractions and stores is SF remain closed as per the link above. Some hotels are still closed and have targeted this May to reopen. Given the work from home orders, many businesses have no workers in the city office buildings; therefore, it is like a ghost town. I can't see anyone coming to SF in Sept 2020 with any reasonable expectation to either 1) shop or 2) sightsee particularly with the closures and the smoke from area wildfires.

Last edited:
Many hotels are still closed and those that are open are maybe at 5% occupancy. For more info see this recent news story Experts weigh in on what it'll take to get tourists back in San Francisco and How will San Francisco's downtown Financial District bring employees back to work in high-rise offices?
All hotels were closed to tourists until Sept 14th of last year per the public health COVID order, but some were open to essential travelers (not sure exactly what that means) prior to that. Many attractions and stores is SF remain closed as per the link above. Some hotels are still closed and have targeted this May to reopen. Given the work from home orders, many businesses have no workers in the city office buildings; therefore, it is like a ghost town. I can't see anyone coming to SF in Sept 2020 with any reasonable expectation to either 1) shop or 2) sightsee particularly with the closures and the smoke from area wildfires.
Interesting and informative - particularly since the PI on Nancy Grace said that staying in hotels was a common practice for her. It sounds like it could not have been common (or possible) prior to September 14.

The SF City and County Board of Supervisors reopened hotels/motels to tourists and regular visitors on Sept 14th with this health order https://sfbos.org/sites/default/files/Directive-2020-29-Lodging-Facilities.pdf
For those places open prior to Sept 14th, those were only open for COVID workers, essential workers like fire fighters, etc. I suppose it would be possible to fake your status to say you were a COVID worker or essential worker to stay in a SF hotel prior to Sept 14th, but I'm not sure how difficult or easy it would be to fake your occupation in order to stay at a SF hotel prior to the 14th.

Interesting and informative - particularly since the PI on Nancy Grace said that staying in hotels was a common practice for her. It sounds like it could not have been common (or possible) prior to September 14.
The PI saying Sydney staying in hotels was a common practice for her (and I'm assuming he meant traveling by herself staying in hotels by herself) seems to contradict what a family member initially said in the News and Observer about Sydney moving in the dorm, never being away from home before and having anxiety because of it. https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246239320.html

Did her parents ever mention if she was on meds, antidepressants etc.? I ask because it was mentioned she suffered from depression awhile back.

Yess! Actually it's super close, and its lovely to walk by the pier's when its pretty outside. There's alot she couldve seen staying at the Hilton as mentioned. As long as any tourist or person stay's by a bart station, it'll be easy to get around. With Sydney's case, its abit different, SF was also the most strict when it came to COVID restrictions. Didn't help when the fires were happening, but by October, it was the first attempt SF made to ease on restrictions for everyone, so everyone did as Sydney had done and took the opportunity to go out and see things. Getting around was still possible but required a bit more preparation than usual!

Did her parents ever mention if she was on meds, antidepressants etc.? I ask because it was mentioned she suffered from depression awhile back.
I dont think the parents mentioned she was on meds in any interview they've given from what I've seen thus far.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back