CA CA - Sydney “Syd” West, 19, University of CA student, San Francisco, 30 Sept 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found more photos of Syd partying with alcohol on a different social photo site. Photos here-
https://vsco.co/sydneykwest/gallery
Is the alcohol supposed to be a clue? Cuz it seems pretty typical to me for a relatively popular 19 year old to be drinking every once in a while.
She seems like such an intelligent, insightful, brilliant and beautiful young woman. Really bright, and funny. Ugh. Poor thing.

When I searched the UC Berkeley student directory, her name did not show up:

Campus Directory | University of California, Berkeley

Since she took a gap year after graduating high school (and was apparently depressed about that decision per the Oct 2019 blog post on Medium), it appears she was to start this fall but either withdrew and/or never even started. I'm sure that would be a massive disappointment for someone who sounds to be a perfectionist and have high expectations for herself (per her blog).

I have a bad feeling that self-harm may be the most likely outcome and she is no longer alive. I hope I'm wrong.
I can't recall a source. IIRC it was from an article I read on ABC7 San Francisco. There was some indication that she took summer classes=2020. That would coincide with the August dates at Berkeley.

Classes began at U.C. Berkeley on Wednesday August 26. We don’t know when she stopped living in the dorm and moved in with friends in S.F. Did she officially drop out of school and officially move out of the dorm? Did her parents know?

The video linked in a post above didn’t mention that she came to Berkeley sooner than late August.
ETA: Only one article mentions Syd was attending summer school so I’m inclined to dismiss it based on information in the video.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/1589848/sydney-west-family-search-missing-berkeley-student-19/

But if Syd did go to summer school there, it was likely in a six week program called “Freshman Edge.”

Freshman Edge is a specially designed program for freshmen who have been admitted to UC Berkeley for the coming fall. This program gives you an early start on your Berkeley experience by offering you the chance to take courses that fulfill breadth and prerequisite requirements ahead of most incoming students, learn about the campus and its many resources before the fall rush, and connect with peers. Freshman Edge participants not only get a head start on their college career but also save money.
Freshman Edge | Berkeley Summer Sessions

The dorm she would have lived in for Freshman Edge would have been different from the one assigned for the Fall semester. The video posted said that her uncle, who lives locally, helped her move to her dorm in late August and stopped by later to check on her and bring her food. She was having a difficult time adjusting and had some anxiety because she had never been away from home before.

According to this snippet, dorm life doesn’t sound like much fun. The “social bubble” of 10-12 and living alone in a room sounds pretty lonely. Her uncle should not have visited for 7-10 days.

For many of the 2,200 incoming students whose best option was to live in campus housing this fall, the semester began with a COVID-19 test at University Health Services (UHS). It’s required of those in the residence halls, recommended for those in on-campus, apartment-style housing. Students will be tested again, after self-sequestering for 7 to 10 days, and then, initially, twice a week this semester. Living one to a room, the students in the residence halls are being assigned to residential social bubbles of 10 to 12 people and can’t bring in visitors.
BBM

Fall 2020 at UC Berkeley: Masks, remote learning and courage

Last edited:
I wonder if she decided run away somewhere for a little bit to get away from the pressures she was experiencing. Another theory I have is she could be hospitalized somewhere (like if she was hiking and got injured/lost or is on a mental health hold but doesn't feel comfortable telling anyone). I wonder if anyone has tried contacting hospitals in the area? I hope she didn't go to the bridge though if it was really foggy it could've been hard to see her (though I'm hoping that's not what happened) and hopefully this wasn't a kidnapping. I think they should contact the bridge police and make sure that there isn't any footage of her at the bridge. This case kind of reminds me of Gavin Octaviano who disappeared near the area two years ago though he wasn't seen on the bridge. I'm hoping she is found soon and is safe though. I wonder what she said to her friends before the disappearance happened and who was the last person to see her at Crissy Field.

I wonder if she decided run away somewhere for a little bit to get away from the pressures she was experiencing. Another theory I have is she could be hospitalized somewhere (like if she was hiking and got injured/lost or is on a mental health hold but doesn't feel comfortable telling anyone). I wonder if anyone has tried contacting hospitals in the area? I hope she didn't go to the bridge though if it was really foggy it could've been hard to see her (though I'm hoping that's not what happened) and hopefully this wasn't a kidnapping. I think they should contact the bridge police and make sure that there isn't any footage of her at the bridge. This case kind of reminds me of Gavin Octaviano who disappeared near the area two years ago though he wasn't seen on the bridge. I'm hoping she is found soon and is safe though. I wonder what she said to her friends before the disappearance happened and who was the last person to see her at Crissy Field.
BBM

That’s a good idea about contacting hospitals. I think LE would have to do that rather than her parents due to HIPAA. But her parents could certainly ask...make that strongly encourage... LE to do that regardless whether it was an injury or mental health issue.

And it wouldn’t hurt for her parents to check to see if LE has contacted Bridge police and checked cameras.

BBM

That’s a good idea about contacting hospitals. I think LE would have to do that rather than her parents due to HIPAA. But her parents could certainly ask...make that strongly encourage... LE to do that regardless whether it was an injury or mental health issue.

And it wouldn’t hurt for her parents to check to see if LE has contacted Bridge police and checked cameras.
Depends on if her parents have health care patient disclosure form /proxy. We did this with our adult kids after we read about the horrible case of Alyssa Gilderhus. 18 yo was in Mayo, deemed unfit to make healthcare decisions & hospital was granted guardianship. Parents disagreed with treatment & prognosis so had to sneak her to another hospital. Mayo called LE & accused parents of kidnapping their patient. Parents cleared & new docs cured AG with totally different treatment approach. Happy ending but what an ordeal. Get your paperwork in order!!! You never know when you wish you would have had it. ♥️ Jmo...
Escape from the Mayo Clinic: Teen accuses world-famous hospital of 'medical kidnapping' - CNN

Welcome to WS, and great points! Looking back on the case of Gavin Octaviano, I can definitely see similarities as well. He was a student at UC Irvine and was last seen in the Golden Gate Bridge area. WS thread: CA - CA - Gavin Cusi Octaviano, 22, Golden Gate Bridge Area, San Francisco, 23 Nov 2018

Classes began at U.C. Berkeley on Wednesday August 26. We don’t know when she stopped living in the dorm and moved in with friends in S.F. Did she officially drop out of school and officially move out of the dorm? Did her parents know?

The video linked in a post above didn’t mention that she came to Berkeley sooner than late August.
ETA: Only one article mentions Syd was attending summer school so I’m inclined to dismiss it based on information in the video.
Family searching for student Sydney West, 19, after she vanished last week
But if Syd did go to summer school there, it was likely in a six week program called “Freshman Edge.”

Freshman Edge is a specially designed program for freshmen who have been admitted to UC Berkeley for the coming fall. This program gives you an early start on your Berkeley experience by offering you the chance to take courses that fulfill breadth and prerequisite requirements ahead of most incoming students, learn about the campus and its many resources before the fall rush, and connect with peers. Freshman Edge participants not only get a head start on their college career but also save money.

The dorm she would have lived in for Freshman Edge would have been different from the one assigned for the Fall semester. The video posted said that her uncle, who lives locally, helped her move to her dorm in late August and stopped by later to check on her and bring her food. She was having a difficult time adjusting and had some anxiety because she had never been away from home before.

According to this snippet, dorm life doesn’t sound like much fun. The “social bubble” of 10-12 and living alone in a room sounds pretty lonely. Her uncle should not have visited for 7-10 days.

For many of the 2,200 incoming students whose best option was to live in campus housing this fall, the semester began with a COVID-19 test at University Health Services (UHS). It’s required of those in the residence halls, recommended for those in on-campus, apartment-style housing. Students will be tested again, after self-sequestering for 7 to 10 days, and then, initially, twice a week this semester. Living one to a room, the students in the residence halls are being assigned to residential social bubbles of 10 to 12 people and can’t bring in visitors.
BBM

I think you're right about the summer sessions; per this SFGate article, UC Berkeley confirmed she attended them:
19-year-old UC Berkeley student last seen at SF's Crissy Field reported missing
West moved from Chapel Hill, N.C., to San Francisco in late August, and UC Berkeley confirmed she attended summer sessions this year.

Family searching for student Sydney West, 19, after she vanished last week
https://www.the-sun.com/news/1589848/sydney-west-family-search-missing-berkeley-student-19/

BBM

Just reading through this case and add me to the prayer list for her.

I had not considered about how Covid is making things so much worse on incoming students.

I have only been to the SF area once but I do remember Dorm living as a new student and I can attest that loneliness and depression was often an emotion I felt myself even though I was surrounded by other students. Add the Covid restrictions and not being able to freely have people come and go anytime you want, then it would make the experience much worse IMO.

Its hard enough under normal circumstances and the Covid restrictions would add to the difficulty.

I am concerned when I saw this stated "she was having a difficult time adjusting". I need to read up more about this case but that definitely concerns me because it can be difficult and it can be a very lonely feeling when living in a dorm or even off campus living can be difficult. The pressure to get good grades and not having family or old true close friends from back home makes it difficult. Over time, it gets easier as you make new friends and can start to prove yourself in the school but that takes time so I do worry when its a newer student experiencing these things for the first time.

There is still hope that maybe she elected to run off with someone to get a break from it all for awhile so I hope this case can still end on a positive note.

Just reading through this case and add me to the prayer list for her.

I had not considered about how Covid is making things so much worse on incoming students.

I have only been to the SF area once but I do remember Dorm living as a new student and I can attest that loneliness and depression was often an emotion I felt myself even though I was surrounded by other students. Add the Covid restrictions and not being able to freely have people come and go anytime you want, then it would make the experience much worse IMO.

Its hard enough under normal circumstances and the Covid restrictions would add to the difficulty.

I am concerned when I saw this stated "she was having a difficult time adjusting". I need to read up more about this case but that definitely concerns me because it can be difficult and it can be a very lonely feeling when living in a dorm or even off campus living can be difficult. The pressure to get good grades and not having family or old true close friends from back home makes it difficult. Over time, it gets easier as you make new friends and can start to prove yourself in the school but that takes time so I do worry when its a newer student experiencing these things for the first time.

There is still hope that maybe she elected to run off with someone to get a break from it all for awhile so I hope this case can still end on a positive note.
There’s also rush week- and how covid would impact the handling of that. Fall would be a very busy time. And a potentially isolating time if Greek life wasn’t your cup of tea- or if events didn’t feel safe. My daughter’s squirreled away in her 3rd online quarter since coronavirus began- and it is taxing in many ways. All the work & none of the fun. I can’t imagine being new with these circumstances. Jmo
UC Berkeley reports 47 cases of coronavirus linked to frat parties

There’s also rush week- and how covid would impact the handling of that. Fall would be a very busy time. And a potentially isolating time if Greek life wasn’t your cup of tea- or if events didn’t feel safe. My daughter’s squirreled away in her 3rd online quarter since coronavirus began- and it is taxing in many ways. All the work & none of the fun. I can’t imagine being new with these circumstances. Jmo
UC Berkeley reports 47 cases of coronavirus linked to frat parties

I know right.
I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to even try to make new friends when all you ever see is another facemask on people.

Nonverbal communication and facial expressions are a huge part of how we first meet someone that you may want to be friends with. If you cannot even see their face then how in the world could you even begin to decide who you may want to get to know better.

Usually a facial smile or a wink or some sort of friendly facial expression would be the first step to get to know someone in the halls or in a classroom. Its only after that first step that you normally would decide you even want to talk to the same person again.

I cannot even imagine what the poor students have to go through if they want to do activities with others they are trying to meet. I am pretty certain that any feelings of loneliness would be quite a bit worse when you cannot even see the person's face most of the time.

Online Zoom meetings and things like that only go so far. Best of wishes for your young new student.

She did live in Pleasanton, CA previously. From looking at her social media, it appears that she has a decent amount of friends who were also attending UC Berkeley. I counted at least 10 that were her age and had profiles stating their school. One of the last people she added (a female) also attended UC Berkeley and previously attended the same high school as her. I know times are difficult with everyone being in quarantine and wearing face masks. I do agree a huge part of meeting and making new friends especially at that age relies on facial expressions which are hidden behind masks now. It would be nice to know who she contacted last and what their conversations consisted of.. This is not a completely new area for her. Pleasanton is not that far from UC Berkeley. It seems like a lot of kids from her high school and the surrounding high schools go to UC Berkeley or UC area schools. I'm concerned something happened other than a suicidal attempt. There are a lot of cameras on the bridge to hinder suicidal attempts. I just don't feel she went there to jump or harm herself. I hope she is found soon and that she is ok. JMO

Syd went pretty much silent on social media in 2019. It looks like she was having a great time during her gap year until she wasn't. I'm guessing that, when she was traveling around, having fun and partying, she was okay and then, things slowed down and she probably felt really lonely and isolated. I dropped out of College two weeks in during my freshman year, I came back home and I was very lonely and isolated, it's really hard to go back home and realize that all of your friends moved on and are doing their thing. I ended up going back the next year and had a GREAT time in College. I wouldn't be surprised if this very specific situation with COVID-19 messed thins up for Syd, it's very much possible that she still felt isolated and lonely. Maybe school didn't go as she expected either.
Wondering if Sydney had any aspirations to be a model, or if anyone might have approached her at school suggesting she could be one? speculation, imo.

The SF News
That's one of her Senior pictures.

This article is from yesterday. You may hit a paywall, though.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246239320.html

Family, friends worry as San Francisco, NC police search for missing Berkeley student

Excerpts:

Monday, Jay and Kimberly West, her parents, added their own plea for help finding their daughter, known to family and friends as Syd. Her uncle Robert West, who lives in California, said the family may hold a search or vigil this week for the young woman.

(SNIP)

Robert West last saw his niece in August, when he helped his brother, Jay West, move her into a dorm at Berkeley. They are a large and close-knit family who visit each other often, Robert West said. He dropped by a day or so later to check on Sydney and bring some food, he said.

“She was having a hard time,” he said. “That’s a tough adjustment, and she never had been away from home. I think it was a pretty scary move and quite a bit of anxiety for her.”

Attending school at Berkeley was a return to California for Sydney. She grew up in the Bay Area, attending Foothill High School in Pleasanton, Calif., where she played softball and volleyball.

In 2017, her family moved to Chapel Hill, and she spent her junior and senior years at Carrboro High School. She was co-captain of the varsity volleyball team.

She wasn’t admitted into her first choice for college, so she took a gap year in 2019 after graduating to travel and spend time with her parents and her 10-year-old sister, friends and family said.

[More at link.]

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article246239320.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Venusflytrap100