CA CA - Sylvia Helen Carlson, 39, Santa Monica, 12 Dec 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have the impression that she left with someone... she was still young, beautiful and educated, she probably lived with someone for a while but maybe she has already passed away...
whatever the case
rest in peace

On revisiting this after some years I noticed one small issue. On Ancestry there are multiple family trees, obviously from those with the Swedish background of her family, that list her as Sylvia Helena (not Helen) and the surname as Carlsson, not Carlson. Minor differences, but they can make record searches tricky.

On revisiting this after some years I noticed one small issue. On Ancestry there are multiple family trees, obviously from those with the Swedish background of her family, that list her as Sylvia Helena (not Helen) and the surname as Carlsson, not Carlson. Minor differences, but they can make record searches tricky.

Do you think the info I mentioned in post #8 is the correct Sylvia? It's entirely possible I mixed up Carlsson and Carlson which may cause more confusion than help. I see you speculated her father's name was Harry which doesn't mesh with what I listed. I agree, this a bit tricky with spelling, etc.

Last edited:
Do you think the info I mentioned in post #8 is the correct Sylvia? It's entirely possible I mixed up Carlsson and Carlson which may cause more confusion than help. I see you speculated her father's name was Harry which doesn't mesh with what I listed. I agree, this a bit tricky with spelling, etc.
My apologies. I should have revisited my post #6 where I suggested her parents were Harry and Ingrid. Whilst everything else seems correct her parents were Carl Elof Verner Carlsson and Karin M Hildebrand. That this is correct seems confirmed by the picture of Sylvia accompanying the Ancestry trees. It also has records confirming the date of death as 1977 (assumed, obviously) and the marriage to Edmund Arthur Carlsson. A daughter of the marriage died in 2020 and the trees suggest there is another living daughter. The Sylvia Carlson with Harry and Ingrid as parents did live nearby in New Jersey and was born within a year of our missing, but it was coincidence. Sylvia Helen was born in New York in 1938 and married Edmund in Summit, NJ in 1960.
The Carlson/Carlsson is just an added complication as it is treated different ways in both trees and records. It is possible that the family simplified to Carlson as that seems the more common spelling for Sylvia whilst her parents are more often spelled Carlsson.
When searching Ancestry it seems easier to find the trees either through her father or her brother, Paul Verner Carlson, who is also now deceased. The Ancestry search facility is notoriously poor and it is no different in the case of this family!

My apologies. I should have revisited my post #6 where I suggested her parents were Harry and Ingrid. Whilst everything else seems correct her parents were Carl Elof Verner Carlsson and Karin M Hildebrand. That this is correct seems confirmed by the picture of Sylvia accompanying the Ancestry trees. It also has records confirming the date of death as 1977 (assumed, obviously) and the marriage to Edmund Arthur Carlsson. A daughter of the marriage died in 2020 and the trees suggest there is another living daughter. The Sylvia Carlson with Harry and Ingrid as parents did live nearby in New Jersey and was born within a year of our missing, but it was coincidence. Sylvia Helen was born in New York in 1938 and married Edmund in Summit, NJ in 1960.
The Carlson/Carlsson is just an added complication as it is treated different ways in both trees and records. It is possible that the family simplified to Carlson as that seems the more common spelling for Sylvia whilst her parents are more often spelled Carlsson.
When searching Ancestry it seems easier to find the trees either through her father or her brother, Paul Verner Carlson, who is also now deceased. The Ancestry search facility is notoriously poor and it is no different in the case of this family!

No apology necessary! It's been such a long time since I did any research on this case, and heaven knows I've been wrong before.

I really wonder what happened to Sylvia... she was such a pretty young woman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back