GUILTY CA - Teacher Mark Berndt charged with molesting 23 children

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I checked and don't see this name on the thread. This is an article about the teacher's aide who supposedly wrote love letters to a young student. The blogwriter opines that we might have another McMartin on our hands. Really?? They question the media's role but who else lit a fire under the district? I don't doubt that parents might still be in the dark had it not been for the media coverage.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/02/areceli_luisjuan_former_miramo.php

Areceli Luisjuan, Former Miramonte Aide: Did She Write 'Love Letters' to 11-Year-Old, or Has Media Witch Hunt Gone Too Far?
February 8, 2012

"....The aide, identified in the story as Areceli Luisjuan, reportedly told the kid that she liked "when you put your arm around my shoulder" and "when you get close to me." She said that this gave her "the chills...."

and

"....the writer penned the student's name four times, signed it "Sad Girl" and then added: "Read the letter and throw it away. I don't want your mom or brother to find it." The first item [the mother] found, in 2009, was a drawing of a crying woman that also was labeled "sad girl." She noticed the drawing when it happened to tumble from its perch in her son's room. The fall also dislodged a cellphone number from a corner of the frame...."

More at link

Some details I haven't seen. Did we know about Guevera (spelled Guevara on some sites)? Did we know that the female teacher was no longer a suspect? How is all this info being passed on to parents at the school?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/los-angele...sed-misconduct/story?id=15540602#.Tzat9WBqIlc

Los Angeles Teacher Had 200 More Student Bondage Photos: Cops
February 8, 2012

"....An attorney for three of the alleged victims, Brian Claypool, said Monday that a third teacher, a female, had helped deliver students into Berndt's classroom to be abused. Sgt. Scott said investigators interviewed the woman, who was cooperative, and concluded she was not a suspect...."

and

"....The lawyer, Keith Davidson, is representing three victims in the case against Berndt. He previously represented three kindergarten-aged students from Miramonte who pressed charges against Ricardo Guevera, a teacher who was convicted of molesting the girls and sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.

Davidson said that in his previous case, Guevera told at least one little girl who was from a single-parent home that he could show her what it was like to have a father. "Evidence in the Guevera case was introduced that Guevera targeted female kindergarten students who lived in a single mother home. He manipulated them by attempting to be their father figure," Davidson said...."

More at link

I resent the media calling the situation at Miramonte Elementary 'hysteria.' It's not hysteria, it's ticked off parents who are finding out more and more about inappropriate situations that have been ongoing and apparently widespread at this school.

In response to the hysteria, LAUSD Superintendent John Deasy made the unprecedented decision, this week, to temporarily replace the entire teaching staff at Miramonte while they're interrogated about the sex abuse.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/02/areceli_luisjuan_former_miramo.php

"Original molester"? How can be certain about that? More about Guevara:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/02/ricardo_guevara_miramonte_sex_scandal.php

Ricardo Guevara: Meet Miramonte's Original Molester
February 7, 2012

"....His career as an assistant professor ended Nov. 6, 2003, when a parent at Miramonte Elementary said he saw Guevara put his hand into the pants of a girl in the courtyard of the campus. Then two other girls made similar accusations.
In 2005, a jury convicted Guevara of multiple counts of sexual abuse against minors.

He's serving a 15-year sentence...."

More at link

Some details I haven't seen. Did we know about Guevera (spelled Guevara on some sites)? Did we know that the female teacher was no longer a suspect? How is all this info being passed on to parents at the school?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/los-angele...sed-misconduct/story?id=15540602#.Tzat9WBqIlc

Los Angeles Teacher Had 200 More Student Bondage Photos: Cops
February 8, 2012

"....An attorney for three of the alleged victims, Brian Claypool, said Monday that a third teacher, a female, had helped deliver students into Berndt's classroom to be abused. Sgt. Scott said investigators interviewed the woman, who was cooperative, and concluded she was not a suspect...."

and

"....The lawyer, Keith Davidson, is representing three victims in the case against Berndt. He previously represented three kindergarten-aged students from Miramonte who pressed charges against Ricardo Guevera, a teacher who was convicted of molesting the girls and sentenced to 15 years to life in prison.

Davidson said that in his previous case, Guevera told at least one little girl who was from a single-parent home that he could show her what it was like to have a father. "Evidence in the Guevera case was introduced that Guevera targeted female kindergarten students who lived in a single mother home. He manipulated them by attempting to be their father figure," Davidson said...."

More at link

How can she no longer be a suspect? Are they saying the children lied about her actions? They certainly didn't sound like innocent actions to me. Is there a cover-up happening irregardless of the parents outrage and the media presence in order to keep this from spreading further? Possibly they don't want the full extent to be made known? I, for one, would like an explanation about this femaile teacher and why she is no longer a suspect.

Belinda--I've learned that the word, "hysteria", is often used when there's more than one victim and possibly more than one predator.

Personally, I believe that the parents, other concerned citizens and taxpayers have every right in the world to be incredibly worked up over such vile crimes. Yes, folks are in a fever pitch. Who wouldn't be, given the facts that have been released? We're talking about the sexual abuse of young children--many many victims. Hysteria is a common response to shock but it must be channeled correctly or the next phase becomes a "witch hunt". Not surprisingly I'm starting to see that comment popping up too.

I just feel that there are still things being covered up. I think this is much more widespread than anybody has imagined. They can call it a witch hunt if they want. I prefer to call it a predator hunt and there seem to be a number of predators employed at that one school. Makes me wonder about the administration of the school.

Consider the fact that all of here on WS have computers at our disposal and we have finely honed research skills. We're digging deep to learn as much as we can about these crimes. We've discovered some gross stuff but we've also missed some things along the way. We're grappling with the question as to what is timely information.

Then consider a Miramonte family, possibly lower-income, possibly speaking English as a second language, possibly with no access to internet research--in total meltdown mode over worries and rumors. That family is being encouraged to trust the district and to send their precious children back to school. Thinking about the fear and confusion those families must be experiencing breaks my heart.

How I hope and pray that community advocates are working closely with families to disseminate the facts and to gather information.

A very interesting commentary:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_19932757

Larry Elder: Lemons may have picked their school
February 9, 2012

"They call it the "dance of the lemons" or the "turkey trot." It's when a school district transfers bad teachers from school to school until the teacher ends up in a school where the parents are least likely to complain. In the case of Miramonte Elementary School, the lemons may have picked the school...."

more at link

I feel so bad for all of the parents. I can only imagine their fear at the idea of sending their children back to that school. I don't think I could do it. They may not have an option. I can't begin to imagine the anxiety they have about the safety of their children. Everyday, more distressing news comes out and the school is starting to look like a haven for predators. And these people are expected to send their children back?

The lightning strikes analogy is interesting.

http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/172940/142/Abusers-Target-Impoverished-Schools

Abusers Target Impoverished Schools
February 10, 2012

"...The horrors alleged at Miramonte Elementary School echo previous cases of sexual abuse: vulnerable children, plied with attention and gifts and groomed to trust adult predators...."

and

"...At Miramonte, the victims could hardly have been more disadvantaged: The 1,400 students are virtually all from poor Latino homes, a majority from immigrant families where English isn't spoken at home, and some with parents lacking legal immigrant status. It's a voiceless community where fear is ingrained - fear of authority, fear of the police, fear of immigration enforcement, fear of retribution. The hard-pressed barrio school is just the kind of place where an adult with bad intentions could take advantage of a child, knowing there was little chance a victimized family would report the acts. Or if they did, little chance they would be believed...."

and

"....One father complains that he did not learn his 10-year-old daughter was a victim until after Berndt's recent arrest. R, 39, who spoke only on condition his last name not be used because he immigrated illegally, says that when Berndt was removed from teaching early in 2010, parents were not told why. "For a year, we didn't know anything about this," he says in Spanish. "The school was trying to keep this under wraps. This is very bad. The school is almost 100% Latino. It's because of that they discriminate against us. We are poor people."

He says the school has not responded to his requests for information...."

More at link

A very interesting commentary:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_19932757

Larry Elder: Lemons may have picked their school
February 9, 2012

"They call it the "dance of the lemons" or the "turkey trot." It's when a school district transfers bad teachers from school to school until the teacher ends up in a school where the parents are least likely to complain. In the case of Miramonte Elementary School, the lemons may have picked the school...."

more at link

Blame the California Teachers Union. The California Teachers Union could be considered an arm of organized crime. It has become so powerful and corrupt that a unfit, incompetent, criminial teacher can not be fired. It cares nothing for educating and caring for children. It is all about protecting their jobs and benefits.

This is so tremendously sad. It seems that Miramonte School had made great strides in the last few years...against all odds. Berndt, Springer and their ilk had to go and spoil it for everyone.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/12/4258218/arrests-shatter-recent-signs-of.html

Arrests shatter recent signs of school progress
February 12, 2012

"Until the photos surfaced, it didn't appear that anything was seriously amiss at Miramonte Elementary School.

The school was on the upswing. Test scores were rising. The campus south of downtown Los Angeles was bright with new paint, murals and $6 million in other improvements. A new principal brought in parent education workshops, student leadership programs and other activities. Even the neighborhood, notorious for gang violence and drugs, had calmed down.

Then came the bombshell..."

More at link

How was Berndt's DNA collected? From fingerprints on the photo envelope? His name would have been on that, wouldn't it? Why would his DNA be in a database? What am I missing here?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...er-to-be-arraigned-on-23-counts-of-sex-abuse/

Former Miramonte Teacher To Be Arraigned On 23 Counts Of Sex Abuse
February 21, 2012

".... Police say the horrifying allegations came to light after a photo processing technician saw the photos Berndt had printed in January of last year. Commercial film developers are obligated by law to report child *advertiser censored* to police. After uncovering nearly 300 photos, investigators used DNA evidence to connect Berndt to the victims...."

More at link

How was Berndt's DNA collected? From fingerprints on the photo envelope? His name would have been on that, wouldn't it? Why would his DNA be in a database? What am I missing here?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012...er-to-be-arraigned-on-23-counts-of-sex-abuse/

Former Miramonte Teacher To Be Arraigned On 23 Counts Of Sex Abuse
February 21, 2012

".... Police say the horrifying allegations came to light after a photo processing technician saw the photos Berndt had printed in January of last year. Commercial film developers are obligated by law to report child *advertiser censored* to police. After uncovering nearly 300 photos, investigators used DNA evidence to connect Berndt to the victims...."

More at link

I believe it was from the container and spoon that had held sperm.

I am totally disgusted by the callousness of the school towards these families. If the fact are as being reported, it seems obvious that they were treated as less important because if being Latino and many being undocumented. I guess the only reason school officials ever divulge anything is when they fear what power someone outside may wield. And they didn't consider these families very powerful!

The lightning strikes analogy is interesting.

http://www.wltx.com/news/national/article/172940/142/Abusers-Target-Impoverished-Schools

Abusers Target Impoverished Schools
February 10, 2012

"...The horrors alleged at Miramonte Elementary School echo previous cases of sexual abuse: vulnerable children, plied with attention and gifts and groomed to trust adult predators...."

and

"...At Miramonte, the victims could hardly have been more disadvantaged: The 1,400 students are virtually all from poor Latino homes, a majority from immigrant families where English isn't spoken at home, and some with parents lacking legal immigrant status. It's a voiceless community where fear is ingrained - fear of authority, fear of the police, fear of immigration enforcement, fear of retribution. The hard-pressed barrio school is just the kind of place where an adult with bad intentions could take advantage of a child, knowing there was little chance a victimized family would report the acts. Or if they did, little chance they would be believed...."

and

"....One father complains that he did not learn his 10-year-old daughter was a victim until after Berndt's recent arrest. R, 39, who spoke only on condition his last name not be used because he immigrated illegally, says that when Berndt was removed from teaching early in 2010, parents were not told why. "For a year, we didn't know anything about this," he says in Spanish. "The school was trying to keep this under wraps. This is very bad. The school is almost 100% Latino. It's because of that they discriminate against us. We are poor people."

He says the school has not responded to his requests for information...."

More at link

I'm just not understanding how Berndt's DNA linked him to the students. I get that authorities linked the spoons to him via DNA but I must be missing something.

Anyway, just reporting the facts here. No comment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17121942

LA teacher facing lewd acts charges 'harassed in jail'
February 21, 2012

"Jail staff announced over loudspeaker that Mark Berndt, 61, was a child molester and specified where he was sleeping, the lawyer said. The allegation was raised as Mr Berndt pleaded not guilty to 23 counts of lewd acts with children as young as six...."

and

"....The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department was not aware of the jail intimidation allegations until they were raised in court, spokesman Steve Whitmore told the BBC, but an investigation into the matter has been launched. Mr Berndt's defence team should have informed the sheriff's department first..."

More at link

Wait a minute!! Had we read that Berndt had victims "as young as six" as the article linked above reports? Really?? A child that age wouldn't have been his student.

Wait a minute!! Had we read that Berndt had victims "as young as six" as the article linked above reports? Really?? A child that age wouldn't have been his student.

Apparently he was pulling kids in from other classes. It is totally shocking on so many levels, including the fact that he was able to get access to so many kids in a setting where you would not expect it to be possible.

A tad bit of overreaction, possibly?? It's going to be mighty hard to stay one step ahead of pedophiles who are nothing but "creative".

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lewd-conduct-teacher-prompts-lesson-bans-15832770#.T1Dkz2CJkjQ

Lewd Conduct by 1 Teacher Prompts Lesson Bans
March 2, 2012

"The Los Angeles Unified School District says fourth grade students will no longer be blindfolded for lessons about how to use the senses. And making butter at one school has been banned. The bans follow the arrest of Miramonte Elementary teacher Mark Berndt, who has pleaded not guilty to 23 counts of lewd conduct for allegedly photographing students who were blindfolded as he spoon-fed them his semen...."

More at link

More details here:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lausd-blindfold-20120302,0,5609684.story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back